Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Old 10-14-2023, 08:04 AM  
Veteran

Garmin KC Marathon Races (October 21, 2023)

Anyone planning to run one of the four Garmin KC Marathon races (5k, 10k, half-marathon, full marathon) this upcoming Saturday? I'm going to be trying the full, which I also ran last year and enjoyed. There were several Bills fans running last year, in town for the Bills-Chiefs game the following day. Might see some Charger fans there this year.

https://www.sportkc.org/marathon

Last edited by DanT; 10-14-2023 at 08:18 AM..
DanT 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliDanT 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliDanT 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliDanT 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliDanT 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliDanT 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliDanT 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliDanT 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliDanT 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliDanT 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliDanT 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitelli
Old Yesterday, 07:48 PM   #46
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcellus View Post
Its all relative and just takes time. What was once hard becomes insanely easy, at least for a while.

I ran 5Ks and thought why run a 10K that's dumb.
After a bunch of 5ks I started running 10Ks and though 5Ks were a waste of time.
After a bunch of 10ks I ran my first half marathon and thought people who ran marathons were insane.

After 3 half marathons I ran my first marathon. Then I ran another.

The next year I signed up for a 50K. (31 miles)

The next year I ran a 50 miler.

Then I was doing marathons and 50Ks as training runs.

Actually got to run Boston in 2019.

To date I've run a bunch of marathons almost as many 50Ks, 2-50 milers including a 55 miler and in 2020 trained for a 100 miler that got cancelled due to covid then got pissed and said **** it I'm not doing long distance anymore. Franky training wasn't going well anyway.

Today a 25K is about the longest distance I want to run and that's usually trail of some sort.

Its all perspective. And do it while you are youngish because after you hit 50 it gets way harder. Just stay active.

my $.02
Great advice and kudos for qualifying for Boston! That's awesome!
DanT 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliDanT 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliDanT 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliDanT 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliDanT 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliDanT 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliDanT 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliDanT 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliDanT 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliDanT 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliDanT 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitelli
Old Yesterday, 07:52 PM   #47
Veteran

Out of curiosity, I looked up my stats from last year's Garmin. Then my estimated VO2 Max was 46 and I ran nearly 5 hours, walked only about 7 minutes and was idle about 7 minutes (for a potty break). Even though I was fitter then, I sorta think I might beat last year's time this year, because I have more experience with using the run-walk-run method and that technique can actually boost one's average pace because of the way it builds in little recovery periods.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:54 PM   #48
Back-to-Back-to-Back.......

Quote:
Its all relative and just takes time. What was once hard becomes insanely easy, at least for a while.

I ran 5Ks and thought why run a 10K that's dumb.
After a bunch of 5ks I started running 10Ks and though 5Ks were a waste of time.
After a bunch of 10ks I ran my first half marathon and thought people who ran marathons were insane.

After 3 half marathons I ran my first marathon. Then I ran another.

The next year I signed up for a 50K. (31 miles)

The next year I ran a 50 miler.

Then I was doing marathons and 50Ks as training runs.

Actually got to run Boston in 2019.

To date I've run a bunch of marathons almost as many 50Ks, 2-50 milers including a 55 miler and in 2020 trained for a 100 miler that got cancelled due to covid then got pissed and said **** it I'm not doing long distance anymore. Franky training wasn't going well anyway.

Today a 25K is about the longest distance I want to run and that's usually trail of some sort.

Its all perspective. And do it while you are youngish because after you hit 50 it gets way harder. Just stay active.

my $.02
You are a sicko. That is bad ass man. I think the KC Marathon is a Boston Marathon qualifier or something I read. I need to get those shoes with wheels on 'em. Knock out that marathon 😆
BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old Yesterday, 08:01 PM   #49
Diablo Negro

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanT View Post
Out of curiosity, I looked up my stats from last year's Garmin. Then my estimated VO2 Max was 46 and I ran nearly 5 hours, walked only about 7 minutes and was idle about 7 minutes (for a potty break). Even though I was fitter then, I sorta think I might beat last year's time this year, because I have more experience with using the run-walk-run method and that technique can actually boost one's average pace because of the way it builds in little recovery periods.
Experience has a lot to do with racing. You learn a lot about how you handle things.

Another thing to remember for anyone running is a bad training run needs to be brushed off as long its not reoccurring and the same with a bad race. Some days just don't work out.

Don't let a bad day training or racing make you want to stop, its just a day, like a bad Chiefs game midseason .
Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old Yesterday, 08:05 PM   #50
Diablo Negro

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWillie View Post
You are a sicko. That is bad ass man. I think the KC Marathon is a Boston Marathon qualifier or something I read. I need to get those shoes with wheels on 'em. Knock out that marathon 😆
Most road marathons are Boston qualifiers. The Garmin Olathe race is pretty popular for that because its flat and fast.
Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old Yesterday, 08:21 PM   #51

Quote:
Most road marathons are Boston qualifiers. The Garmin Olathe race is pretty popular for that because its flat and fast.
I was a little confused by the map. It says the 5k in one spot is 3.1 miles but on the map it says it is 3.25 miles. 0.15 mile difference is a big deal sad to say.
BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old Yesterday, 08:23 PM   #52
Veteran

Quote:
Our marathon here in Sacramento, the California International Marathon, is very popular for runners seeking a Boston Qualifying time (https://www.baa.org/races/boston-mar...alifying-races), because it's net downhill. A lot of folks come from out-of-town to run it, and many end up being surprised by the roller coaster hills at the beginning of the race, which can chew up the unprepared. I mostly run in Davis and Sacramento, which are very, very flat, but I mostly do my Saturday long runs out in Folsom, near where the CIM starts, because that's where the hills are. My run last Saturday came within two blocks of the CIM start and for that 17-mile loop, I ended up with 900 feet of climbing, good preparation for the KC marathon and its many hills.

I got to run in Overland Park a few times a couple of weeks ago. Great running trails there!
Old Yesterday, 08:25 PM   #53
Veteran

Quote:
Which marathon did you use to qualify for Boston, Marcellus?

Whichever one it was, you must have had a great time, as those qualifying standards are impressive!
Old Yesterday, 08:30 PM   #54
King Sandbagger

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWillie View Post
I was a little confused by the map. It says the 5k in one spot is 3.1 miles but on the map it says it is 3.25 miles. 0.15 mile difference is a big deal sad to say.
The last Garmin 5k that I ran a few years back had a course length of just under 3 miles. I finished just a shade over 23 minutes. It hurt.
phisherman wants to die in a aids tree fire.phisherman wants to die in a aids tree fire.phisherman wants to die in a aids tree fire.phisherman wants to die in a aids tree fire.phisherman wants to die in a aids tree fire.phisherman wants to die in a aids tree fire.phisherman wants to die in a aids tree fire.phisherman wants to die in a aids tree fire.phisherman wants to die in a aids tree fire.phisherman wants to die in a aids tree fire.phisherman wants to die in a aids tree fire.
Old Yesterday, 08:39 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by phisherman View Post
The last Garmin 5k that I ran a few years back had a course length of just under 3 miles. I finished just a shade over 23 minutes. It hurt.
I bet. I hope they have defibrillators
Old Yesterday, 08:42 PM   #56
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by phisherman View Post
Great time for a 5k!

Man, having the distance off that much for a 5k would drive me crazy, especially with the name Garmin attached to it, as I depend on their watches for accuracy. Usually, in races, my Garmin watch says I ran further than the actual race distance, which makes sense, given that I meander around to get water and shade. My fastest half-marathon, though, was a February race on a course that mostly was on streets and trails near my home, and I ran geodesics for that race, knowing the trails so well. My watch said I was about a quarter mile shy of 13.1 miles when I got to the finish line, so I kept running, because in my vanity I wanted to have a sub 2-hour half-marathon recorded in my Garmin account.