Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room > Media Center
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Old 12-07-2022, 08:21 AM  
Supporter

Smart Thermostat Recommendations?

I bought this Honeywell smart thermostat I believe either early this year or maybe it was a black Friday deal in 2021.

Honeywell Home RTH9585 Wi-Fi Smart Color Thermostat Model #RTH9585WF1004/W

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Honeywell-H...ity/5002420259

It had been working fine for the past several months but lately, it is acting screwy. We have tried everything including rebooting by removing the faceplate and reinstalling it as well as reset to factory settings. After looking around on the web, I'm discovering that these issues I'm having seem to be common with this model. So, I would like to replace it with something else. I have looked at similar thermostats like Nest and ecobee but I still find complaints about them acting up on people.

Can somebody give me a recommendation on a smart thermostat that will work properly and last for years? I don't need anything with voice control or extra sensors. Just a basic smart thermostat. I like this model for the wi-fi and I can control it from my phone app. It also has a nice big display. The outdoor weather is a nice touch. Looking for any and all suggestions. Are there any good smart thermostats out there that won't break the bank?
Lzen is obviously part of the inner Circle.Lzen is obviously part of the inner Circle.Lzen is obviously part of the inner Circle.Lzen is obviously part of the inner Circle.Lzen is obviously part of the inner Circle.Lzen is obviously part of the inner Circle.Lzen is obviously part of the inner Circle.Lzen is obviously part of the inner Circle.Lzen is obviously part of the inner Circle.Lzen is obviously part of the inner Circle.Lzen is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 12-07-2022, 08:35 AM   #2
"Think BOOM!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lzen View Post
I bought this Honeywell smart thermostat I believe either early this year or maybe it was a black Friday deal in 2021.

Honeywell Home RTH9585 Wi-Fi Smart Color Thermostat Model #RTH9585WF1004/W

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Honeywell-H...ity/5002420259

It had been working fine for the past several months but lately, it is acting screwy. We have tried everything including rebooting by removing the faceplate and reinstalling it as well as reset to factory settings. After looking around on the web, I'm discovering that these issues I'm having seem to be common with this model. So, I would like to replace it with something else. I have looked at similar thermostats like Nest and ecobee but I still find complaints about them acting up on people.

Can somebody give me a recommendation on a smart thermostat that will work properly and last for years? I don't need anything with voice control or extra sensors. Just a basic smart thermostat. I like this model for the wi-fi and I can control it from my phone app. It also has a nice big display. The outdoor weather is a nice touch. Looking for any and all suggestions. Are there any good smart thermostats out there that won't break the bank?
I've had this one for almost six years. Very basic, but I've never had any issues with it and the app works perfectly:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Honeywell-7...n-Wifi/3850713
Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 12-07-2022, 09:51 AM   #3
Veteran

Nevermind reread your initial post and you don't want the bells and whistles- I do think Ecobee is worth it though.
Shoes would the whole thing.Shoes would the whole thing.Shoes would the whole thing.Shoes would the whole thing.Shoes would the whole thing.Shoes would the whole thing.Shoes would the whole thing.Shoes would the whole thing.Shoes would the whole thing.Shoes would the whole thing.Shoes would the whole thing.
Old 12-07-2022, 09:54 AM   #4
'Tis my eye!

We have a Google Nest. We like it although I don't use it, my wife does. Simple and easy.
htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 12:39 PM   #5
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
Nevermind reread your initial post and you don't want the bells and whistles- I do think Ecobee is worth it though.
Well, I don't mind the bells and whistles. I just don't need voice control. I don't use Alexa or Siri on anything.

I have been looking at ecobee. But then I see some comments where it was bought out and their quality and customer service has gone downhill. I don't if that's true or not. Just seems like they all have people complaining about stuff like this. I guess I may just have to get the 3 year extended warranty. Kind of ridiculous that they can't seem to make things worth a crap any more.
Lzen is obviously part of the inner Circle.Lzen is obviously part of the inner Circle.Lzen is obviously part of the inner Circle.Lzen is obviously part of the inner Circle.Lzen is obviously part of the inner Circle.Lzen is obviously part of the inner Circle.Lzen is obviously part of the inner Circle.Lzen is obviously part of the inner Circle.Lzen is obviously part of the inner Circle.Lzen is obviously part of the inner Circle.Lzen is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 12-07-2022, 01:28 PM   #6
That's just f***in' stupid

Quote:
Originally Posted by htismaqe View Post
We have a Google Nest. We like it although I don't use it, my wife does. Simple and easy.
This.
The app is simple and easy to use, as are the thermostats. The app (Google Nest) also controls Nest camera systems including the doorbell. MUCH higher quality than the Ring crap.

Last edited by HC_Chief; 12-07-2022 at 01:41 PM..
HC_Chief is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.HC_Chief is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.HC_Chief is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.HC_Chief is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.HC_Chief is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.HC_Chief is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.HC_Chief is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.HC_Chief is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.HC_Chief is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.HC_Chief is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.HC_Chief is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.
Old 12-07-2022, 01:54 PM   #7
Abandoned Former Rams Fan

I had this one for several years before replacing it with a fancier version.

https://www.amazon.com/Honeywell-TH9...5VHOQT9C3&th=1

Also the one Donger linked we've used at work, we had one in the office as well as sold them to a few customers & I don't remeber anyone having any issues with them.
ScareCrowe would the whole thing.ScareCrowe would the whole thing.ScareCrowe would the whole thing.ScareCrowe would the whole thing.ScareCrowe would the whole thing.ScareCrowe would the whole thing.ScareCrowe would the whole thing.ScareCrowe would the whole thing.ScareCrowe would the whole thing.ScareCrowe would the whole thing.ScareCrowe would the whole thing.
Old 12-07-2022, 01:59 PM   #8
What's up braj?

Most people who have problems with smart thermostats don’t have c wires. If you don’t have it constantly powered you may struggle. I have a nest gen 3 with no problems fwiw.
Jewish Rabbi is obviously part of the inner Circle.Jewish Rabbi is obviously part of the inner Circle.Jewish Rabbi is obviously part of the inner Circle.Jewish Rabbi is obviously part of the inner Circle.Jewish Rabbi is obviously part of the inner Circle.Jewish Rabbi is obviously part of the inner Circle.Jewish Rabbi is obviously part of the inner Circle.Jewish Rabbi is obviously part of the inner Circle.Jewish Rabbi is obviously part of the inner Circle.Jewish Rabbi is obviously part of the inner Circle.Jewish Rabbi is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 02:07 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewish Rabbi View Post
Most people who have problems with smart thermostats don’t have c wires. If you don’t have it constantly powered you may struggle. I have a nest gen 3 with no problems fwiw.
Most of them won't work at all without the "C" wire. They make "add a wire" kits to convert but I could definitely see how adding that extra component could lead to issues. And to your point I have plenty of thermostat wires, I'm pretty sure I ran 12 strand, you can never have too many wires. I've had 3 different wifi stats & never had an issue, but again I've always had a true common back to the furnace.
ScareCrowe would the whole thing.ScareCrowe would the whole thing.ScareCrowe would the whole thing.ScareCrowe would the whole thing.ScareCrowe would the whole thing.ScareCrowe would the whole thing.ScareCrowe would the whole thing.ScareCrowe would the whole thing.ScareCrowe would the whole thing.ScareCrowe would the whole thing.ScareCrowe would the whole thing.
Old 12-07-2022, 02:08 PM   #10
'Tis my eye!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewish Rabbi View Post
The Nest we have doesn't need a C wire. One of the reasons we bought it. Because MOST thermostats, even non-smart ones, require it now.
htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 12-07-2022, 02:18 PM   #11
GDT white noise poster

I have a nest and IDK sometimes it pisses me off because it'll be cold as shit out and I'll turn up the thermostat and 5 minutes later the nest will be like "are you sure wanted the heat set to 68? Wouldn't 50 be more comfortable, I'll go ahead and change it for you you dumb piece of shit"
DrunkBassGuitar is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.DrunkBassGuitar is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.DrunkBassGuitar is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.DrunkBassGuitar is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.DrunkBassGuitar is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.DrunkBassGuitar is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.DrunkBassGuitar is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.DrunkBassGuitar is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.DrunkBassGuitar is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.DrunkBassGuitar is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.DrunkBassGuitar is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.
Old 12-07-2022, 02:23 PM   #12
'Tis my eye!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrunkBassGuitar View Post
I have a nest and IDK sometimes it pisses me off because it'll be cold as shit out and I'll turn up the thermostat and 5 minutes later the nest will be like "are you sure wanted the heat set to 68? Wouldn't 50 be more comfortable, I'll go ahead and change it for you you dumb piece of shit"
You can turn that off, I'm pretty sure.
Old 12-07-2022, 02:30 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrunkBassGuitar View Post
This is the biggest issue I've heard with Nest. Granted I haven't dealt with any of the newer models, but at least with the older versions there was no way to set a schedule. It relied on the thermostat looking at when & to what temp you adjusted the stat & build a schedule based on that.

The problem is when your schedule changes no one knows how to turn said feature off & now you end up fighting the stat to keep it where you want it. And if your schedule change is temporary (like taking a week off for the holidays) as soon as it learns your new schedule you go back to work & now you have to fight it again.

Other than that I've always heard they make great products & have never really seen one that caused problems for anyone.
Old 12-07-2022, 02:35 PM   #14
'Tis my eye!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScareCrowe View Post
This is the biggest issue I've heard with Nest. Granted I haven't dealt with any of the newer models, but at least with the older versions there was no way to set a schedule. It relied on the thermostat looking at when & to what temp you adjusted the stat & build a schedule based on that.

The problem is when your schedule changes no one knows how to turn said feature off & now you end up fighting the stat to keep it where you want it. And if your schedule change is temporary (like taking a week off for the holidays) as soon as it learns your new schedule you go back to work & now you have to fight it again.

Other than that I've always heard they make great products & have never really seen one that caused problems for anyone.
Yeah we don't have any issues like this. Ours is less than a year old, so I'm guessing it's a newer rev or something.
Old 12-07-2022, 02:48 PM   #15
11-5, baby

Nest.
Skyy God is obviously part of the inner Circle.Skyy God is obviously part of the inner Circle.Skyy God is obviously part of the inner Circle.Skyy God is obviously part of the inner Circle.Skyy God is obviously part of the inner Circle.Skyy God is obviously part of the inner Circle.Skyy God is obviously part of the inner Circle.Skyy God is obviously part of the inner Circle.Skyy God is obviously part of the inner Circle.Skyy God is obviously part of the inner Circle.Skyy God is obviously part of the inner Circle.