Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room > Media Center
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Old 01-18-2022, 01:19 PM   #2
'Tis my eye!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBeauford View Post
Let me just say this though: Gamepass (from Microsoft) is bar none the sickest deal ever in the history of gaming. Absolutely nothing comes close to the value proposition of what it offers. They have effectively become the Netflix of gaming. The bad side of this hasn't occurred yet, namely what happens when Microsoft goes the way of Netflix by incentivizing studios to output quantity over quality. We aren't there yet, but few years down the line, this conversation will come up whwn independents and intermediate companies can't match this kind of deal, and get absorbed into Gamepass or dissolve.
AAA games cost piles of money to develop and usually require high-end hardware to run. While I think we'll still see plenty of AAA games on Netflix and Stadia, the bulk of the games will be simpler and lower quality, kind of like mobile gaming platforms today.

The AAA games will still be the major selling point (and the focus of advertising) but it's the smaller cheap games that will form the bulk of the catalog.

It's a pretty weird time to be a gamer. We have more powerful gaming systems than ever, with the capability to create REALLY immersive experiences yet the gaming landscape seems to be moving towards commoditization, where games have replaced reading the newspaper as something to occupy your eyes while you're drinking your morning coffee.
htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 01-18-2022, 01:27 PM   #3
Time Keeps On Slipping

Quote:
Originally Posted by htismaqe View Post
AAA games cost piles of money to develop and usually require high-end hardware to run. While I think we'll still see plenty of AAA games on Netflix and Stadia, the bulk of the games will be simpler and lower quality, kind of like mobile gaming platforms today.

The AAA games will still be the major selling point (and the focus of advertising) but it's the smaller cheap games that will form the bulk of the catalog.

It's a pretty weird time to be a gamer. We have more powerful gaming systems than ever, with the capability to create REALLY immersive experiences yet the gaming landscape seems to be moving towards commoditization, where games have replaced reading the newspaper as something to occupy your eyes while you're drinking your morning coffee.
I have to say I disagree. I think there are and will be markets for both. There are so many incredible titles constantly being released and in the pipeline. My library is getting bigger and bigger with "must plays" and I can't even keep up.

PC gaming has never been more popular. People gobble up all of the PS5s and Series X as soon as they get on the shelves.

M$, as shitty as they can get, have actually historically been the pioneers of fostering strong indie games since the late 360 days.
Pants has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Pants has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Pants has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Pants has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Pants has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Pants has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Pants has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Pants has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Pants has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Pants has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Pants has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.
Thumbs Up 2 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 01:36 PM   #4
'Tis my eye!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pants View Post
I have to say I disagree. I think there are and will be markets for both. There are so many incredible titles constantly being released and in the pipeline. My library is getting bigger and bigger with "must plays" and I can't even keep up.

PC gaming has never been more popular. People gobble up all of the PS5s and Series X as soon as they get on the shelves.

M$, as shitty as they can get, have actually historically been the pioneers of fostering strong indie games since the late 360 days.
Well, we're probably at the pinnacle of AAA gaming right now so I'm sure you feel like things are going great. I wasn't talking so much about the state of gaming now as the future of it. Gaming right now is better than it's ever been but it's also reaching a point where it might not be sustainable.

Just look at what was going on at Activision Blizzard prior to the acquisition, or CD Projekt Red, or any number of acclaimed AAA studios that have been inundated with accusations of long hours, harsh treatment, and even illegal activity. All of that happens because you're trying to develop a game that requires THOUSANDS of people with hundreds of people instead. A good indie game, especially on mobile, can be done by one or two people.

Eventually your catalog will dwindle as companies continue to evolve mechanisms for generating revenue IN-game as opposed to WITH games. It's already happening to some degree, you just haven't seen it encroach on your favorite games yet.

Just wait a couple of years when Madden goes GAAS, it's coming.
htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 01:47 PM   #5
Time Keeps On Slipping

Quote:
Well, we're probably at the pinnacle of AAA gaming right now so I'm sure you feel like things are going great. I wasn't talking so much about the state of gaming now as the future of it. Gaming right now is better than it's ever been but it's also reaching a point where it might not be sustainable.

Just look at what was going on at Activision Blizzard prior to the acquisition, or CD Projekt Red, or any number of acclaimed AAA studios that have been inundated with accusations of long hours, harsh treatment, and even illegal activity. All of that happens because you're trying to develop a game that requires THOUSANDS of people with hundreds of people instead. A good indie game, especially on mobile, can be done by one or two people.

Eventually your catalog will dwindle as companies continue to evolve mechanisms for generating revenue IN-game as opposed to WITH games. It's already happening to some degree, you just haven't seen it encroach on your favorite games yet.

Just wait a couple of years when Madden goes GAAS, it's coming.
Oh, man, trust me, I am well aware. Like I said, these are different markets. I am saying there will be a market for AAA games despite there being other modalities to generate profit.

Microsoft just bought Bethesda and Activsion Blizzard. I don't think they spent a hundred billion on those studios for them to develop indie games, LOL.

I think maybe I am not clear on what you mean by GAAS. Are you talking about games like Fortnite and Path of Exile (game is free but you pay for quality of life and cosmetics) or just microtransactions in general? Or something different altogether?

EA has already been doing microtransactions with FIFA and Madden. It's a cash cow because people spend their money on that stupid shit. You can easily enjoy both titles without spending a cent over what you paid for your copy, though.
Pants has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Pants has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Pants has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Pants has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Pants has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Pants has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Pants has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Pants has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Pants has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Pants has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Pants has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.
Old 01-18-2022, 01:50 PM   #6
'Tis my eye!

Quote:
Oh, man, trust me, I am well aware. Like I said, these are different markets. I am saying there will be a market for AAA games despite there being other modalities to generate profit.

Microsoft just bought Bethesda and Activsion Blizzard. I don't think they spent a hundred billion on those studios for them to develop indie games, LOL.

I think maybe I am not clear on what you mean by GAAS. Are you talking about games like Fortnite and Path of Exile (game is free but you pay for quality of life and cosmetics) or just microtransactions in general? Or something different altogether?

EA has already been doing microtransactions with FIFA and Madden. It's a cash cow because people spend their money on that stupid shit. You can easily enjoy both titles without spending a cent over what you paid for your copy, though.
As a general term, GAAS means any game or gaming system that you access on-demand, presumably without specialized hardware (in this instance, that could be a gaming PC which is still an "open" platform). It implies a digital, rather than physical, format that you pay for as a subscription.

It really has nothing to do with micro transactions although microtransactions are currently fueling profits in all of gaming, AAA and garbage alike.
Old 01-18-2022, 01:54 PM   #7
Time Keeps On Slipping

Quote:
As a general term, GAAS means any game or gaming system that you access on-demand, presumably without specialized hardware (in this instance, that could be a gaming PC which is still an "open" platform). It implies a digital, rather than physical, format that you pay for as a subscription.

It really has nothing to do with micro transactions although microtransactions are currently fueling profits in all of gaming, AAA and garbage alike.
I don't think that's what GAAS actually means but I think I am on the same page as you now.

So your worry is that in the future, you won't be able to play Madden unless you sign up for EA Play, am I understanding your concern correctly? Or are you saying you will have to subscribe to something like Stadia (RIP, lol) that lets you access titles without having to buy an expensive piece of hardware?
Old 01-18-2022, 01:27 PM   #8
MVP

Quote:

It is a weird time. I've spent the last 4+ years on indie games, and it has been glorious. AAA is in a bad way these days. I've only just had my first AAA experience last week with God of War on Steam (terrific game btw), and that's an over 3 year old game.
BigBeauford is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigBeauford is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigBeauford is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigBeauford is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigBeauford is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigBeauford is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigBeauford is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigBeauford is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigBeauford is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigBeauford is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigBeauford is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 3 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 01:37 PM   #9
'Tis my eye!

Quote:
It is a weird time. I've spent the last 4+ years on indie games, and it has been glorious. AAA is in a bad way these days. I've only just had my first AAA experience last week with God of War on Steam (terrific game btw), and that's an over 3 year old game.
I'm playing mostly back catalog PS4 games now so I have plenty of time.
Old 01-18-2022, 01:20 PM   #10
Time Keeps On Slipping

Quote:
Let me just say this though: Gamepass (from Microsoft) is bar none the sickest deal ever in the history of gaming. Absolutely nothing comes close to the value proposition of what it offers. They have effectively become the Netflix of gaming. The bad side of this hasn't occurred yet, namely what happens when Microsoft goes the way of Netflix by incentivizing studios to output quantity over quality. We aren't there yet, but few years down the line, this conversation will come up whwn independents and intermediate companies can't match this kind of deal, and get absorbed into Gamepass or dissolve.
It really is. Especially considering that for $2 bucks more a month, with Ultimate, you can also get access to a huge EA library. LOL

It's a ridiculous deal.

This change, leadership changes, so on and so forth. As of right now, I don't see M$' approach as becoming quantity over quality. Gaming, unlike TV, is still so niche with extremely vocal and angry communities. I don't think a bunch of Red Notices or whatever will fly.
Old 01-18-2022, 01:25 PM   #11
'Tis my eye!

Quote:
It really is. Especially considering that for $2 bucks more a month, with Ultimate, you can also get access to a huge EA library. LOL

It's a ridiculous deal.

This change, leadership changes, so on and so forth. As of right now, I don't see M$' approach as becoming quantity over quality. Gaming, unlike TV, is still so niche with extremely vocal and angry communities. I don't think a bunch of Red Notices or whatever will fly.
Dude, to put this into perspective:

With juggernaut games like Diablo and Call of Duty, Activision Blizzard was worth $67M.

Take Two (owner of Rockstar) just bought mobile game maker Zynga not too long ago for $16B. They make money almost exclusively off of microtransactions. Their portfolio of games cost a tiny fraction to make and support of what Call of Duty does and yet they make more money per user than many AAA titles.

It's coming. Just wait.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 01:29 PM   #12
MVP

Quote:

It's a ridiculous deal.

Remember watching "House of Cards" on Netflix, and thinking how amazing the future of streaming would be?Netflix's output is now a total deluge of crap, with the occasional nugget if you sift through the garbage.
BigBeauford is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigBeauford is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigBeauford is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigBeauford is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigBeauford is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigBeauford is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigBeauford is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigBeauford is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigBeauford is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigBeauford is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigBeauford is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 2 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 01:35 PM   #13
Time Keeps On Slipping

Quote:
Remember watching "House of Cards" on Netflix, and thinking how amazing the future of streaming would be?Netflix's output is now a total deluge of crap, with the occasional nugget if you sift through the garbage.
Ehh. That's a bit hyperbolic. Their job is cater to everyone to keep the sub numbers up. They still have incredible shows and will probably continue to do so.

In just recent memory I have watched The Queens Gambit, Midnight Mass, Narcos, Dark, Mindhunter, and Stranger Things. All of which have been either somewhat or significantly better than House of Cards.

That's not to even to mention shows like Schitt's Creek, etc.
Old 01-20-2022, 02:40 PM   #14
Valiant 'The Thread Killer'

Quote:
Seems revisionist. Netflix outputs more original content than the other services combined. There are lots of good shows in there. Same with the bad. Just like everyone else and cable. The only gripe with Netflix is they give up shows too early. But everyone seems to be doing that.
I also wish they would add or create sports channels.

I am not sure how I feel on the ms purchase. They will want to make a profit, but how quick of turn around?
I assume they keep the agreements in place until they expire.
So that means:
1. They keep the games multiplatform and Nintendo and Sony have to get used to the Xbox logo on the games.
MS, definitely optimizes the games for Xbox and gets exclusives first.
2. They make all the games exclusive to sell more Xboxes and game pass.

I wonder how Europe courts will respond. They hate MS already. Will be interesting to see how Japanese gamers respond.

Honestly, if MS releases a good mw2 multiplayer remake that is all I want.
Valiant threw an interception on a screen pass.Valiant threw an interception on a screen pass.Valiant threw an interception on a screen pass.Valiant threw an interception on a screen pass.Valiant threw an interception on a screen pass.Valiant threw an interception on a screen pass.Valiant threw an interception on a screen pass.Valiant threw an interception on a screen pass.Valiant threw an interception on a screen pass.Valiant threw an interception on a screen pass.Valiant threw an interception on a screen pass.