Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room > Media Center
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Old 03-19-2024, 06:39 PM  
Has a particular set of skills

Star Wars: The Acolyte

BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 06-18-2024, 01:39 PM   #121
M-I-Z-Z-O-U

Quote:
Originally Posted by staylor26 View Post
Maybe the LGBTQ+ stuff isn't being "hammered in the face", but the force is female stuff surely is.

Two lesbian witches use the force to give birth to two very important female twins. All of this with coming from an obviously feminist lesbian showrunner?

There's really no point in arguing with people who can't see the obvious.
I couldn't pick the show runner out of a lineup or recognize her name in print. You could respond to this post with an AI-generated name and I'd believe that was her name.

I'm not impressed so far with this. The destruction of the coven compound, as depicted, is ridiculous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by staylor26 View Post
Translation:

"I'll eat whatever shit they put on my plate and call Star Wars!"
Nope. There's plenty I'll throw things at. The new trilogy is, for the most part, unmitigated garbage. I did enjoy the Luke Skywalker-Kylo Ren showdown scene, and there were a few moments in Rise that were kind of cool, and Force Awakens was first, popcorn fan service. But the thing as a whole stinks (because there wasn't one writer/show-runner setting a vision for all of it. They should have stuck with that.) The prequel trilogy has similar, if lesser, issue. McGregor and Neeson are awesome in their roles. McDiarmond is captivating as usual. The lightsaber comment is good, and Christopher Lee was Christopher Lee (RIP). The best thing about the prequel triology, was actually the novelization of Revenge of the Sith (i've talked about this on the board before. Matthew Stover is a godsdamned badass, because he made that story fun and entertaining in ways the movie did not).

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut View Post
I mean - when someone tries to tell you what they're doing, you should probably listen.

The creators of the series have flat out said that their goal is to focus on increased representation and didn't a few of the actresses say stuff even more overtly antagonistic than that?

You want to give a more mundane meaning to their story choices but THEY don't. They flat out say that they intended them exactly as heavy handed as the most critical reviews have claimed.

That said - maybe I'm completely wrong because I'm not going to watch these. I'm not going to reward Disney for choosing leadership that actively antagonizes its fanbase. And that blames the fanbase being critical on them being misogynistic bigots rather than their incredibly erratic product (because take the messaging out if you want, it's undeniable that the simple quality of these shows is all over the map).

They operate as though they don't want me as part of the audience - and so I shall oblige them.
I haven't listened to or consumed anything related to the show other than the show itself. So I couldn't tell you what the show runners, or the actresses within the show, or anyone, said about being part of it.

I'd be interested AF to hear Carrie-Anne Moss talk about the show, though.

Maybe those "unspoiled" eyes are part of the difference in perception of the heavy-handedness of the intent.

And I'm saying... it's weird to see some of the freakouts in this thread about "LGBTQ IN YOUR FACE COVEN!" when all we saw were a few subtle moments that indicated that those two members were lovers/partners. Without any dialogue about their love, or finding each other, or having to run away to be together, or anything other than the casual reveal the Zabrak carried two obviously human girls and the human woman manipulated the force to create them.

Isn't that the type of depiction of unexpected love/partnership we'd prefer in media in general, when it isn't a love story?

You see a couple of people do a few small things that make it clear they're "together" but it isn't discussed unless central to action on the screen or set up of the story.

Kind of the opposite of SHOVING IT IN OUR FACE, no?
duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 06-18-2024, 01:43 PM   #122
M-I-Z-Z-O-U

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassy Squatch View Post
Imagine going back in time 20 years after Attack of the Clones and telling people Disney acquired Star Wars and butchered it so badly that Hayden Christensen reprising his role as Anakin/Vader is one of the few things anyone gets excited about anymore.
Whole prequel trilogy is vastly improved if they just... make the first one with Hayden Christensen as Anakin. And only, actually teenage Anakin Skywalker makes the whole "he's too old and has too much pain and is too set in his ways!" component actually work, and makes the Anakin-Amidala thing actually make sense.

Oh, and focus on making a good and fun movie first, and selling toys second, but... you know... capitalism.
duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 06-18-2024, 01:49 PM   #123
The man you could post like.

Am I the only one that thinks Force Awakens is the worst of the three movies? Sure, Last Jedi and Rise of Skywalker are both horrible abominations of Cinema, but Force Awakens is the movie that completely ripped away any semblance of a happy ending the OG characters had and assassinated their characters.

Han and Leia are bitterly divorced geriatrics that completely failed as parents and Luke is a complete pussy that abandoned the galaxy to its fate and went into hiding with no intention of being found.

That's on top of it being a damn near 1:1 recreation of A New Hope except with far less interesting characters.
Sassy Squatch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sassy Squatch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sassy Squatch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sassy Squatch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sassy Squatch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sassy Squatch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sassy Squatch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sassy Squatch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sassy Squatch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sassy Squatch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sassy Squatch is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2024, 02:05 PM   #124
Sauntering Vaguely Downwards

Quote:
Am I the only one that thinks Force Awakens is the worst of the three movies? Sure, Last Jedi and Rise of Skywalker are both horrible abominations of Cinema, but Force Awakens is the movie that completely ripped away any semblance of a happy ending the OG characters had and assassinated their characters.

Han and Leia are bitterly divorced geriatrics that completely failed as parents and Luke is a complete pussy that abandoned the galaxy to its fate and went into hiding with no intention of being found.

That's on top of it being a damn near 1:1 recreation of A New Hope except with far less interesting characters.
Oh no question.

I still didn't think it was as bad a movie as Rise of Skywalker (and I never watched TLJ) but as far as story goes, there's never been a worse betrayal of the fanbase than TFA.

Because as you've said, the fundamental premise of the movie and following trilogy is essentially "All of your heroes will die miserable and alone after spending decades as broken husks of themselves..."

Yeah, it's real real bad and I said at the time that it was the biggest gut punch of anything that's happened to the Star Wars universe. Using the 'Big 3' as little more than step-stools to your vaunted next generation of Star Wars heroes (who you were never given much of a reason to actually like) was a major stab in the back.
DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 06-18-2024, 02:09 PM   #125
MVP

Quote:
Eh. The problem is still the quality being absolutely shite. The Boys is a pretty decent example of it. The creators aren't even subtle about how hostile they are towards certain folks and even make their disdain focal points of the show, and yet it still enjoys mainstream success. I wouldn't give that much of a shit about Star Wars being a vehicle if it wasn't also such a boring and lifeless IP nowadays.
Never watched The Boys. What groups are they hostile to?
MarkDavis'Haircut is obviously part of the inner Circle.MarkDavis'Haircut is obviously part of the inner Circle.MarkDavis'Haircut is obviously part of the inner Circle.MarkDavis'Haircut is obviously part of the inner Circle.MarkDavis'Haircut is obviously part of the inner Circle.MarkDavis'Haircut is obviously part of the inner Circle.MarkDavis'Haircut is obviously part of the inner Circle.MarkDavis'Haircut is obviously part of the inner Circle.MarkDavis'Haircut is obviously part of the inner Circle.MarkDavis'Haircut is obviously part of the inner Circle.MarkDavis'Haircut is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 06-18-2024, 02:15 PM   #126

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDavis'Haircut View Post
Never watched The Boys. What groups are they hostile to?
Anyone anywhere to the right of Bernie Sanders....

They're pretty openly anti-conservative.

But it's a good show so i don't really care that much. There's an occasional eye-roll when they lay it on REAL thick, but it's otherwise entertaining so whatever.
DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 06-18-2024, 02:37 PM   #127
I'll be back.

Quote:

JJ Abrams is a terrible human being.

That's why I'll always give Rian Johnson credit. He at least TRIED to make the sequel trilogy interesting.
Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 06-18-2024, 02:54 PM   #128

Meh. While I agree he's far from the worst offender the one expectation he didn't subvert was the one fans would've actually appreciated. But no, Luke was still a fat depressed hermit that gave up on the galaxy because his angsty teenage nephew had some bad thoughts.
Sassy Squatch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sassy Squatch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sassy Squatch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sassy Squatch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sassy Squatch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sassy Squatch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sassy Squatch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sassy Squatch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sassy Squatch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sassy Squatch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sassy Squatch is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 06-18-2024, 03:01 PM   #129
Supporter

Anakin/Vader killed millions yet Luke thought he could be saved, yet his nephew dreams about bad things and he had to die!

The sequels are complete shit as Star Wars movies. By themselves the are below average.
notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 06-18-2024, 03:04 PM   #130
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS

Quote:
Anyone anywhere to the right of Bernie Sanders....

They're pretty openly anti-conservative.

But it's a good show so i don't really care that much. There's an occasional eye-roll when they lay it on REAL thick, but it's otherwise entertaining so whatever.
Disappointing. I watched the first couple of episodes when it came out, but lost interest and never went back. I was considering giving it another go, but not now. **** 'em.
Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 06-18-2024, 03:10 PM   #131

I kind of respect it in a way because they're so openly hostile. While Disney has mostly stuck to the blueprint of a passive aggressive snivelling attitude towards their agenda pushing (if you don't like _____ you're racist/homophobic/misogynistic etc) The Boys creator outright states his dislike and tells you to **** off if you can't cope. Fair enough.
Old 06-18-2024, 03:15 PM   #132
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammock Parties View Post
JJ Abrams is a terrible human being.

That's why I'll always give Rian Johnson credit. He at least TRIED to make the sequel trilogy interesting.
Jar Jar Abrams can rot in hell. Ruined both Star Wars and Star Trek. Like ruining just one wasn't bad enough.
Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 06-18-2024, 03:39 PM   #133

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frazod View Post
Disappointing. I watched the first couple of episodes when it came out, but lost interest and never went back. I was considering giving it another go, but not now. **** 'em.
First season isn't so bad. But it does accelerate from there.

Though I do think it's MUCH easier to just look past it than it is some of the Disney stuff.
Old 06-18-2024, 03:49 PM   #134
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS

Quote:
First season isn't so bad. But it does accelerate from there.

Though I do think it's MUCH easier to just look past it than it is some of the Disney stuff.
I've pretty much used up my allotment of looking past shit at this point. As I mentioned earlier, I dumped Disney last night. Never watched a second of Acolyte, and didn't bother to finish Ahsoka. I never even clicked on an episode of season 3 of The Witcher, and I made it about five minutes into season 3 of Discovery before I shut it off and never looked back. Haven't watched any of the new Marvel shit, either. **** them, too. The people who make these shows have nothing but contempt for me, and I have nothing but contempt for them right back.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 1     Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2024, 04:24 PM   #135
Three-Pat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frazod View Post
I've pretty much used up my allotment of looking past shit at this point. As I mentioned earlier, I dumped Disney last night. Never watched a second of Acolyte, and didn't bother to finish Ahsoka. I never even clicked on an episode of season 3 of The Witcher, and I made it about five minutes into season 3 of Discovery before I shut it off and never looked back. Haven't watched any of the new Marvel shit, either. **** them, too. The people who make these shows have nothing but contempt for me, and I have nothing but contempt for them right back.
The Witcher is the one that really bothers me. They have source material and a star who knows probably more about it than anyone and gave his all for the character. What did they do? They said f-it we are going to do what we want and completely write our version.
tredadda has disabled reputation
Thumbs Up 2 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote