Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Old 03-17-2015, 12:29 PM  
Has a particular set of skills

***Official Car and Gearhead Thread***

Seems like we need one on here to talk cars, mods and the coolness of your or their car.

Interested? Chime in
BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-22-2024, 11:59 AM   #5461
Needs more middle fingers

Gotta remember, a 17x8 is an oversized wheel for a '67. So if you're gonna squeeze something that wide with mostly stock suspension, your backspacing needs to be on point. There's no room for error in a wheel that wide in a car that old.

Which is why for my RETAIL customers, we always recommend a 17x7. More room for error in tire sizes, poor alignments etc.
ToxSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ToxSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ToxSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ToxSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ToxSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ToxSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ToxSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ToxSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ToxSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ToxSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ToxSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-22-2024, 12:35 PM   #5462
Sauntering Vaguely Downwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModSocks View Post
Gotta remember, a 17x8 is an oversized wheel for a '67. So if you're gonna squeeze something that wide with mostly stock suspension, your backspacing needs to be on point. There's no room for error in a wheel that wide in a car that old.

Which is why for my RETAIL customers, we always recommend a 17x7. More room for error in tire sizes, poor alignments etc.
Hmmm....

So hear me out. I'm mostly just trying to make sure I don't get in a spot where I'm stuck with wheels I can't use/don't want.

If I get the coilovers, that should buy me some extra space. And then if I go with the 17x7s and pull them back inside a little, that should buy me a little more. And with 450 lb springs that should take a lot of the bounce out of it (or would you suggest a 550 lb spring?) and help me even a little more.

And if, should ALL that go to hell, would theoretically still have the drop spindle issues as a last resort to buy more space?

Mostly I won't want to build myself into a corner where the only thing I can do is stick with the look it has now and the shorter sidewalls. Or hell man, maybe the different look of the wheel and white letter tires will just visually look different enough that I get the look I'm after anyway.

Man I wish I knew what that silver camaro actually had on it. That would save me a lot of headache. I just don't know where I got that picture - found it years ago.

EDIT: Well hell, that was easy - it was for sale on BringATrailer

15" rally wheels all 4 wheels. 215/65 up front and 275/60 in back.

Man, I just think steels are the way I'm gonna have to go. Because that's probably how he's able to do what he's doing there. I want to say my sidewalls were 35 in the front and 45 in the back (but I don't have my damn car right now and forgot to write it down).
DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-22-2024, 12:39 PM   #5463

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut View Post
Hmmm....

So hear me out. I'm mostly just trying to make sure I don't get in a spot where I'm stuck with wheels I can't use/don't want.

If I get the coilovers, that should buy me some extra space. And then if I go with the 17x7s and pull them back inside a little, that should buy me a little more. And with 450 lb springs that should take a lot of the bounce out of it (or would you suggest a 550 lb spring?) and help me even a little more.

And if, should ALL that go to hell, would theoretically still have the drop spindle issues as a last resort to buy more space?

Mostly I won't want to build myself into a corner where the only thing I can do is stick with the look it has now and the shorter sidewalls. Or hell man, maybe the different look of the wheel and white letter tires will just visually look different enough that I get the look I'm after anyway.

Man I wish I knew what that silver camaro actually had on it. That would save me a lot of headache. I just don't know where I got that picture - found it years ago.
See my previous post? I dont think the drop spindle is your problem. I don't think a 17" wheel is your problem either (other than you wanting a more classic muscle look).

I think you simply have the wrong wheels on.

You need to measure those wheels out that you have so you can get a point of reference. That's where you need to start. I gave you American Racing's recommended backspacings that you can use to compare to what you have.

It's also possible you have a shit alignment. Space can be made in your alignment as well. IIRC, you're using Global West's negative roll control arms, right?
ToxSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ToxSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ToxSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ToxSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ToxSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ToxSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ToxSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ToxSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ToxSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ToxSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ToxSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-22-2024, 12:44 PM   #5464

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModSocks View Post
See my previous post? I dont think the drop spindle is your problem. I don't think a 17" wheel is your problem either (other than you wanting a more classic muscle look).

I think you simply have the wrong wheels on.

You need to measure those wheels out that you have so you can get a point of reference. That's where you need to start. I gave you American Racing's recommended backspacings that you can use to compare to what you have.

It's also possible you have a shit alignment. Space can be made in your alignment as well. IIRC, you're using Global West's negative roll control arms, right?
Yeah.

We actually shimmed the shit out of those to get that alignment as good as we could. I don't think that's the issue because I actually made some pretty good gains when we installed them and worked them over for a week or so. I never did replace the lowers as it didn't seem like that was going to really make a big difference. I guess I could do that as well if need be.
DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-22-2024, 12:54 PM   #5465
Diablo Negro

Quote:
Yeah.

We actually shimmed the shit out of those to get that alignment as good as we could. I don't think that's the issue because I actually made some pretty good gains when we installed them and worked them over for a week or so. I never did replace the lowers as it didn't seem like that was going to really make a big difference. I guess I could do that as well if need be.
Detox is on it. Those wheels have the absolute wrong backspacing and that tire is tall AF for a 17" IMO.

To give you a comparison though I know this is NOT the look you are going for.

These are 18" wheels on front that are 8" wide. I have an aftermarket front clip but there probably isn't much more wheel well than what you have in that Camaro, my car is considerably smaller. That's a 9" wide tire if memory serves me correctly, its up in the fender well, sits lower, and doesn't rub.

Doing what you want to do sitting much higher should be a piece of cake.

Last edited by Marcellus; 05-22-2024 at 01:02 PM..
Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2024, 01:10 PM   #5466

So here's my plan (as of now):

15x7 in the front, US Wheel Series 57 chrome steel wheels on all 5.

235/65 tires should fill the well and if the backspacing gets figured out, give me enough space with coilovers and heavier springs to avoid the rub. Think I'll go with 550 lb springs just to be safe - I'll give up a little ride quality for peace of mind.
Old 05-22-2024, 09:19 PM   #5467
Mod Team

Great looking Whip, Loochy. That's a nice ass ride.

Between the car and your quads, I'm not sure how your wife can keep her hands off you!
lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-22-2024, 09:28 PM   #5468
Hey Loochy, I'm hooome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewdog View Post
Great looking Whip, Loochy. That's a nice ass ride.

Between the car and your quads, I'm not sure how your wife can keep her hands off you!
It's funny you say that. When I was walking out of the locker room the other day at the gym, some guy told me "she doesn't care, does she?" I replied "nope!" We proceed to have a nice little conversation about how muscles and cars just attract other dudes that like cara and lifting weights. And it's true because my wife doesn't gice a damn about either.
loochy is obviously part of the inner Circle.loochy is obviously part of the inner Circle.loochy is obviously part of the inner Circle.loochy is obviously part of the inner Circle.loochy is obviously part of the inner Circle.loochy is obviously part of the inner Circle.loochy is obviously part of the inner Circle.loochy is obviously part of the inner Circle.loochy is obviously part of the inner Circle.loochy is obviously part of the inner Circle.loochy is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-23-2024, 12:03 PM   #5469

Well that's simultaneously the most useless and best $75 I've ever spent...

"Chris, I don't think this is gonna work. Let me pay you for your time and I'm just gonna take the car..."

"Well I talked to my distributor and he has 500 lb coilovers that aren't adjustable..."

"Yeah, let's just go ahead and write up a ticket and you can go get my keys for me..."

Wasn't gonna leave that sucker there another day. Man that's bizarre.
Old 05-23-2024, 12:06 PM   #5470

Quote:
Well that's simultaneously the most useless and best $75 I've ever spent...

"Chris, I don't think this is gonna work. Let me pay you for your time and I'm just gonna take the car..."

"Well I talked to my distributor and he has 500 lb coilovers that aren't adjustable..."

"Yeah, let's just go ahead and write up a ticket and you can go get my keys for me..."

Wasn't gonna leave that sucker there another day. Man that's bizarre.
Sounds like one of those old school mechanics. The kinda guys who know what they know; what they learned doing basic repairs many years ago and never developed or kept up with the times or bothered to learn anything new.

You just saved yourself a lot of money.
Old 05-23-2024, 12:12 PM   #5471

Well dude....i just put in a phone call for you to a shop who i know can handle what you need. I know them personally, they design suspension systems and have built SEMA show vehicles.

Matter of fact, they built Sammy Hagar's Mustang.

They, of course, specialize in Mustangs. However, i mentioned i have a buddy with a '67 Camaro who's in need of a competent shop to do suspension work and some wheels.

My guy said he'd be willing to talk to ya about it.

The shop is in Bourbon, MO.

If that interests you, let me know and i can PM you the shop's name, number and who to talk to.
Old 05-23-2024, 12:23 PM   #5472

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToxSocks View Post
Well dude....i just put in a phone call for you to a shop who i know can handle what you need. I know them personally, they design suspension systems and have built SEMA show vehicles.

Matter of fact, they built Sammy Hagar's Mustang.

They, of course, specialize in Mustangs. However, i mentioned i have a buddy with a '67 Camaro who's in need of a competent shop to do suspension work and some wheels.

My guy said he'd be willing to talk to ya about it.

The shop is in Bourbon, MO.

If that interests you, let me know and i can PM you the shop's name, number and who to talk to.
I called my trusty Camaro guy (his was on the cover of Hot Rod once; looks just like mine but with a parachute on the back -- confused the **** out of me the first time I saw it. "Mitch! What did you do to my car?!?!).

I said man, I know you don't do wheels and ultimately I'll just take the bullet here. I'll supply everything if you will do the work. I went over all the nonsense the other guy was saying and he just says "Yeah man, you need to go get your car. I'll get you in next week. I think you'll want 4.5 backspacing on those fronts but you have discs up there, right? Maybe 4 and a quarter. We'll get it all measured up..."

{exhales with relief}

This would've been done 2 years ago if he'd have just taken it then but man am I happy he changed his mind. Charge me what you want, dude...

But thanks a ton for making some calls. If we get stuck, I'll give you a shout. Now that I've just decided to go with chrome steels, I think this should move forward fairly quickly.

I'm honestly just pretty damn excited about getting those coilovers put in. Gonna go ahead and get matched shocks for the back installed as well. Might do a rear disc conversion but just haven't convinced myself it matters. If i do it, I oughta do it now though.
Old 05-23-2024, 12:27 PM   #5473

Quote:
I called my trusty Camaro guy (his was on the cover of Hot Rod once; looks just like mine but with a parachute on the back -- confused the **** out of me the first time I saw it. "Mitch! What did you do to my car?!?!).

I said man, I know you don't do wheels and ultimately I'll just take the bullet here. I'll supply everything if you will do the work. I went over all the nonsense the other guy was saying and he just says "Yeah man, you need to go get your car. I'll get you in next week. I think you'll want 4.5 backspacing on those fronts but you have discs up there, right? Maybe 4 and a quarter. We'll get it all measured up..."

{exhales with relief}

This would've been done 2 years ago if he'd have just taken it then but man am I happy he changed his mind. Charge me what you want, dude...

But thanks a ton for making some calls. If we get stuck, I'll give you a shout. Now that I've just decided to go with chrome steels, I think this should move forward fairly quickly.

I'm honestly just pretty damn excited about getting those coilovers put in. Gonna go ahead and get matched shocks for the back installed as well. Might do a rear disc conversion but just haven't convinced myself it matters. If i do it, I oughta do it now though.
Good, yeah. Sounds like you got the right guy then.

I agree on the rear disc conversion. As long as you got good discs up front and a good booster, there's nothing wrong with a good, rebuilt set of drums in the back. If a rear disc conversion isn't a pressing issue for you, i wouldn't worry about it. It's not like you're racing the thing.
Old 05-23-2024, 01:05 PM   #5474

So...uh...here's a strange question.

If I can't seem to find the rear shocks on this damn thing - where might you suggest I look?

I figured "hey, look under the car somewhere near the leaf springs and boom, you'll find your shocks..."

Man, I can't find anything. It's a damn shock - they shouldn't be hard to find. And surely they didn't build the thing without shock absorbers in the back.

I'll try to take a few photos but are there some common things folks will do when they build these pro touring looking cars where they'll just remove the stinking shocks? I mean...they HAVE to be at/near the rear wheels, right?

This is the first time I've ever felt truly stupid looking at this car.
Old 05-23-2024, 01:05 PM   #5475

BTW - ordered the Vikings; front coilover kit and rear 'factory' height shocks. Should be perfect to get that 'classic' stance I'm looking for.