Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Old 06-29-2022, 01:18 PM  
Veteran

Cost of electricity

I was wondering how come the electricity in my office was not lower after I made some serious improvements/changes.

I compared 12/21 bill vs 6/22. I about floored me.

kw/h

12/21 $0.0161
6/22 $0.0289

Holy crap that is a jump.

The company is Evergy.

This will probably end up in DC. But there are a number of posts related to money in the lounge.
Holladay Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Holladay Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Holladay Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Holladay Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Holladay Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Holladay Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Holladay Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Holladay Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Holladay Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Holladay Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Holladay Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.
Old Today, 10:30 AM   #106
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFace View Post
You're right that you shouldn't put panels on an old roof. However, it's not that hard to seal around any holes they have to drill. If that were the case, people would never have satellites or antennas on their roof either.
The more holes the more chance for leakage in your roof over the years and that's a fact.
neech 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.neech 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.neech 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.neech 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.neech 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.neech 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.neech 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.neech 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.neech 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.neech 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.neech 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.
Old Today, 10:35 AM   #107
Starter

Quote:
For what it's worth, I got my panels from Blue Raven Solar 1.5 years ago. Cost was about $22k for a 5.67 kW system, and then I got 30% of that back from the feds.

My biggest piece of advice is to ask for a cash price if there's any chance you can swing it. Their financing "rates" were fine, but they quoted me $30k to do it (and their default assumption is that you want to finance it).

(And on the off chance someone here decides to contact Blue Raven, let me know. They have a referral program that will save you like $500 and give me $500 as well.)
Curious if you have a quick write up of how much of a PITA it was for install, panel changes, battery system, and/or any other detail?
SurroundedByMorons has disabled reputation
Old Today, 10:41 AM   #108
Kind of a mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurroundedByMorons View Post
Curious if you have a quick write up of how much of a PITA it was for install, panel changes, battery system, and/or any other detail?
Installation was part of the price from Blue Raven - I wouldn't attempt it yourself unless you really know what you're doing. It took a crew of 5ish maybe half a day to install mine, though it took a few weeks for my electric company (Xcel) to officially turn things on.

I didn't need any changes to my panel aside from tapping the solar in, but that could vary depending on what you're working with.

The need for batteries is largely misunderstood IMO. Unless you're trying to live off grid or prevent power outages, you really shouldn't need them. In essence, you use the power grid as your "battery" - they charge you the net of what you use and what you generate. (Look up "net metering" if you want to learn about how that part works.)
DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old Today, 10:43 AM   #109
Banded

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawrenceRaider View Post
Who'd you use for your solar panels?
Good Energy Solutions in Lawrence, KS. Great company.
Lzen is obviously part of the inner Circle.Lzen is obviously part of the inner Circle.Lzen is obviously part of the inner Circle.Lzen is obviously part of the inner Circle.Lzen is obviously part of the inner Circle.Lzen is obviously part of the inner Circle.Lzen is obviously part of the inner Circle.Lzen is obviously part of the inner Circle.Lzen is obviously part of the inner Circle.Lzen is obviously part of the inner Circle.Lzen is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:46 AM   #110
Banded

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamTheIrish View Post
LZ, If you’re okay with it can you also tell me if your panels are in the roof on the ground, susceptible to weather, insurance cost etc.

Just ballpark stuff.
My panels are on the roof, though you can have them placed on the ground if you want. They are out in the weather but they are very durable. I haven't had anything happen to damage them. As for insurance, I don't recall that it changed my insurance. I'll have to look for info on that when I have some time.
Lzen is obviously part of the inner Circle.Lzen is obviously part of the inner Circle.Lzen is obviously part of the inner Circle.Lzen is obviously part of the inner Circle.Lzen is obviously part of the inner Circle.Lzen is obviously part of the inner Circle.Lzen is obviously part of the inner Circle.Lzen is obviously part of the inner Circle.Lzen is obviously part of the inner Circle.Lzen is obviously part of the inner Circle.Lzen is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old Today, 10:50 AM   #111
Banded

Quote:
Mine are on the roof. They're rated to withstand up to baseball-sized hail. I contacted my broker about additional insurance, and he told me that they're covered with no adjustment needed to our policy (but this is State Farm, so no promises all insurers are the same).
Ah, that must be it. Mine is also State Farm.

As for system, mine is 9.72kW, 27 panels. I financed through Clean Energy Credit Union. Don't remember the rate but it wasn't much. And like you, I got the federal gov't tax incentive of 30%.
Old Today, 10:52 AM   #112
Banded

Quote:
Originally Posted by neech View Post
Keep in mind your roof should be relatively new because any roof work you have done a few years after the solar panels are on would cost a small fortune to replace the shingles? That's another issue, how many holes are they going to drill into a person's roof to hold them on. And aren't more holes being drilled into your roof's shingles not a good thing?
Good point. I put a brand new roof with 50 year, hail resistant shingles 2 years prior to getting my panels.
Old Today, 11:36 AM   #113
Hey Loochy, I'm hooome!

My last 3 year electric contract was up so I just finished shopping around for a new one. I picked a company called Ranchero Power that is giving me $0.068931 per kwh plus $5 base charge. Good stuff and it's actually a better rate than my last contract. It pays to shop around.
loochy is obviously part of the inner Circle.loochy is obviously part of the inner Circle.loochy is obviously part of the inner Circle.loochy is obviously part of the inner Circle.loochy is obviously part of the inner Circle.loochy is obviously part of the inner Circle.loochy is obviously part of the inner Circle.loochy is obviously part of the inner Circle.loochy is obviously part of the inner Circle.loochy is obviously part of the inner Circle.loochy is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:38 AM   #114
Hey Loochy, I'm hooome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrobProng View Post
I'm pretty sure that isn't a state law.

In Texas it is.
loochy is obviously part of the inner Circle.loochy is obviously part of the inner Circle.loochy is obviously part of the inner Circle.loochy is obviously part of the inner Circle.loochy is obviously part of the inner Circle.loochy is obviously part of the inner Circle.loochy is obviously part of the inner Circle.loochy is obviously part of the inner Circle.loochy is obviously part of the inner Circle.loochy is obviously part of the inner Circle.loochy is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old Today, 12:08 PM   #115
Starter

Quote:
Installation was part of the price from Blue Raven - I wouldn't attempt it yourself unless you really know what you're doing. It took a crew of 5ish maybe half a day to install mine, though it took a few weeks for my electric company (Xcel) to officially turn things on.

I didn't need any changes to my panel aside from tapping the solar in, but that could vary depending on what you're working with.

The need for batteries is largely misunderstood IMO. Unless you're trying to live off grid or prevent power outages, you really shouldn't need them. In essence, you use the power grid as your "battery" - they charge you the net of what you use and what you generate. (Look up "net metering" if you want to learn about how that part works.)
Interesting, you don't have the "critical panel" split or break out (whatever they call it)? I researched a lot of this a couple years back and the options were to buy a "smart panel" like Span for $4k or do the critical sub-panel thing. I have two breaker panels in my house, so it looked insanely expensive and/or complex. I get it on the batteries, but power outages happen in my hood and we are the last to be restored. So many first world problems.

Thanks for the info!
SurroundedByMorons has disabled reputation
Old Today, 01:06 PM   #116
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mecca View Post

My absolutely favorite part of all of this is they'll raise prices to increase profit, put none of that back into the company and then when their grid ****s up again they'll raise the prices again while not improving the grid.
This reminds me of Steve Harvey's old stand-up routine about his church as a kid. He was there four days a week and often raised money for the "building fund".

"Building Fund?"

"I never saw them do anything with that money, not even buy a new door knob!"
Stewie is too fat/Omaha.Stewie is too fat/Omaha.Stewie is too fat/Omaha.Stewie is too fat/Omaha.Stewie is too fat/Omaha.Stewie is too fat/Omaha.Stewie is too fat/Omaha.Stewie is too fat/Omaha.Stewie is too fat/Omaha.Stewie is too fat/Omaha.Stewie is too fat/Omaha.
Old Today, 01:18 PM   #117
Banded

Quote:
Originally Posted by loochy View Post
My last 3 year electric contract was up so I just finished shopping around for a new one. I picked a company called Ranchero Power that is giving me $0.068931 per kwh plus $5 base charge. Good stuff and it's actually a better rate than my last contract. It pays to shop around.
You can shop around for electricity?
Old Today, 01:25 PM   #118
"You like to drink?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lzen View Post
You can shop around for electricity?
In Texas.

Anyway, there should be more nuke plants across the country.
Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old Today, 01:26 PM   #119
Kind of a mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurroundedByMorons View Post
Interesting, you don't have the "critical panel" split or break out (whatever they call it)? I researched a lot of this a couple years back and the options were to buy a "smart panel" like Span for $4k or do the critical sub-panel thing. I have two breaker panels in my house, so it looked insanely expensive and/or complex. I get it on the batteries, but power outages happen in my hood and we are the last to be restored. So many first world problems.

Thanks for the info!
Dammit, Jim, I'm an analyst, not an electrician!

I really don't know. Here's my setup. Everything that's not blue was added during my install. Maybe the one in the middle is what you're talking about? The one on the left merges the various panels into one.

DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old Today, 03:03 PM   #120
Hey Loochy, I'm hooome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower View Post
In Texas.

Anyway, there should be more nuke plants across the country.
Yes, I'm in Texas and we can choose who we buy electricity through (but we still have fees to Oncor, who owns and maintains the infrastructure).

And yes, nuke plants are awesome. We have one about 30 miles from here. They are super powerful, clean, and safe.