Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Old 06-04-2024, 05:09 PM  
In Search of a Life

First time coaching (youth flag football)

Ages 4-6. Had my first conditioning practice today and found out my entire team hasn't ever played before, so needless to say, I have my work cut out for me.

Any tips?
staylor26 is obviously part of the inner Circle.staylor26 is obviously part of the inner Circle.staylor26 is obviously part of the inner Circle.staylor26 is obviously part of the inner Circle.staylor26 is obviously part of the inner Circle.staylor26 is obviously part of the inner Circle.staylor26 is obviously part of the inner Circle.staylor26 is obviously part of the inner Circle.staylor26 is obviously part of the inner Circle.staylor26 is obviously part of the inner Circle.staylor26 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old Today, 12:55 AM   #61
In Search of a Life

Here's another video:

Watch the same kid #11 push my player in the back in the end zone well after the play is over. Again, refs did not call it.
staylor26 is obviously part of the inner Circle.staylor26 is obviously part of the inner Circle.staylor26 is obviously part of the inner Circle.staylor26 is obviously part of the inner Circle.staylor26 is obviously part of the inner Circle.staylor26 is obviously part of the inner Circle.staylor26 is obviously part of the inner Circle.staylor26 is obviously part of the inner Circle.staylor26 is obviously part of the inner Circle.staylor26 is obviously part of the inner Circle.staylor26 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old Today, 04:44 AM   #62
▓▓▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▓▓

I'll be honest, I don't think I'll put my sons in organized football until they hit double digits. I really hate how youth football teams are being ran and the coaches that obviously care more about winning and being able to talk shit about it than actually teaching all the kids how to play (not talking about you staylor, this more than likely applies to the coach you were playing against). It's just so ****ing weird. There are people I went to school with and others my age that are coaching youth football and I see them talking shit on Facebook and it's just bizarre to me. Like...you're coaching youth football...why do you care so much about wins and losses and being the baddest team in the city?

I'll just let my kids play backyard football with friends and the neighborhood kids and if they want to play organized football when they're a little older then they can play.
-King- is obviously part of the inner Circle.-King- is obviously part of the inner Circle.-King- is obviously part of the inner Circle.-King- is obviously part of the inner Circle.-King- is obviously part of the inner Circle.-King- is obviously part of the inner Circle.-King- is obviously part of the inner Circle.-King- is obviously part of the inner Circle.-King- is obviously part of the inner Circle.-King- is obviously part of the inner Circle.-King- is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:49 AM   #63
In Search of a Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by -King- View Post
I'll be honest, I don't think I'll put my sons in organized football until they hit double digits. I really hate how youth football teams are being ran and the coaches that obviously care more about winning and being able to talk shit about it than actually teaching all the kids how to play (not talking about you staylor, this more than likely applies to the coach you were playing against). It's just so ****ing weird. There are people I went to school with and others my age that are coaching youth football and I see them talking shit on Facebook and it's just bizarre to me. Like...you're coaching youth football...why do you care so much about wins and losses and being the baddest team in the city?

I'll just let my kids play backyard football with friends and the neighborhood kids and if they want to play organized football when they're a little older then they can play.
My 13 year old has been playing for years. We love football in our family. I say all that to say this......nothing (in the youth sports world) brings out the worst in people (adults, mostly) than youth football. It's really kinda weird. Thankfully my son plays for his school now and that is more regulated. I coach his weekend flag team but it's 100% just for fun so I basically let the kids call their own plays and exist to call timeouts. When the time comes to hang em up, I will miss coaching my son and the other kids. I will not miss....anything else.
Why Not? is obviously part of the inner Circle.Why Not? is obviously part of the inner Circle.Why Not? is obviously part of the inner Circle.Why Not? is obviously part of the inner Circle.Why Not? is obviously part of the inner Circle.Why Not? is obviously part of the inner Circle.Why Not? is obviously part of the inner Circle.Why Not? is obviously part of the inner Circle.Why Not? is obviously part of the inner Circle.Why Not? is obviously part of the inner Circle.Why Not? is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old Today, 05:05 AM   #64
Has a particular set of skills

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewdog View Post
I just coached Tball for 4-6 year olds. Practice the basics in small groups of 3-4 so they aren't standing around. Besides yourself, you'll want two other parents to help. Practice should not exceed more than 45 minutes.

Basics of throwing, catching and flag pulling at different stations. Kids at that age also like to run so setup some cones for them to run in and out of.

Keep it fun and basic. Some of the kids liked the team cheer (Go "Mascot!") at the end more than anything.

Popsicles at the end of each practice will make you the best coach.
This is good advice above. I coached competitive little league baseball for 10 years. youth football for 5 and sports I had no clue on how to coach, soccer/basketball for 2 years.

It has to be fun. Look for frills that are fun but improve their skills. Social time as a team around 8-9 years is essential later to winning.

I googled all kinds of fun drills to do. I knew jack shit about soccer. I hung a stuffed bear in the goal and gave a treat to a kid that could hit it. They were the best team by far in the league at striking the ball. Had a neighborhood kid show them how to strike a ball etc... If your heart is in the right place,

As long as your hearts in the right place it will be a positive experience for the kids and you. Never forget its about the kids and you'll be fine. From your posts in here it seems very likely that kids will want to play for you. And your heart is in the right place. Keep it up.
BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old Today, 05:26 AM   #65
Veteran

My daughter played last year. Don't be that coach who tells his players to tackle the ball carrier if they can't get the flag. There's was one of those in the league we were in.
tyecopeland 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellityecopeland 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellityecopeland 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellityecopeland 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellityecopeland 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellityecopeland 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellityecopeland 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellityecopeland 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellityecopeland 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellityecopeland 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellityecopeland 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitelli
Old Today, 05:37 AM   #66
Supporter

mmmmm.... cooooooool.

I think my 6 year old gets to play flag this year. Hopefully it's not a shitshow rodeo like this.

Sorry staylor. Some people really ****ing suck.
Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old Today, 06:02 AM   #67
Fight, build, win!

Oklahoma drill!
srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old Today, 06:42 AM   #68
In Search of a Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by -King- View Post

Dude, I don't think we've ever agreed more.

I'm super competitive, and I was absolutely shocked how these coaches/parents are. Believe it or not, the opposing team is crying because they didn't get to finish kicking our ass. Another reason I quit, and told our parents they should demand their money back and do the same.
Old Today, 06:58 AM   #69
Why so serious?

A lot of people on here that I thought might field a finesse team, but not you, staylor. Props to being the bigger man and not cold cocking the other coach.
TwistedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.TwistedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.TwistedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.TwistedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.TwistedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.TwistedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.TwistedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.TwistedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.TwistedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.TwistedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.TwistedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 2 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:12 AM   #70

Not sure where you live, staylor, but this full-contact blocking in a flag football league stuff is not typical at all. Both my boys played flag football in Liberty Parks and Rec from early grade school up through middle school. Never had this kind of experience. It was a great league. Neither of my boys decided to play tackle football. One of them loved baseball and made that his focus, the other went into rugby. But we had an absolute blast playing flag football all those years and I don't remember as a coach ever seriously considering leaving the league.
wazu is obviously part of the inner Circle.wazu is obviously part of the inner Circle.wazu is obviously part of the inner Circle.wazu is obviously part of the inner Circle.wazu is obviously part of the inner Circle.wazu is obviously part of the inner Circle.wazu is obviously part of the inner Circle.wazu is obviously part of the inner Circle.wazu is obviously part of the inner Circle.wazu is obviously part of the inner Circle.wazu is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old Today, 07:19 AM   #71
In Search of a Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by staylor26 View Post
Dude, I don't think we've ever agreed more.

I'm super competitive, and I was absolutely shocked how these coaches/parents are. Believe it or not, the opposing team is crying because they didn't get to finish kicking our ass. Another reason I quit, and told our parents they should demand their money back and do the same.
Dude, you're just getting into it. It's wild.

Acting like idiots is a common occurrence at youth sports. We're trying to really build the program here where my kids are, starting with the youth. Biggest thing is numbers and fundamentals or atleast that's what we're focusing on.

My goal is to get #'s to the JR high and high school coaches. We're a smaller school, class 2ish so if I can get 20 guys per class playing football.....perfect.

But my god parents are relentlessly hopeless.
O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old Today, 07:33 AM   #72
In Search of a Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedChief View Post
A lot of people on here that I thought might field a finesse team, but not you, staylor. Props to being the bigger man and not cold cocking the other coach.
lol I have the youngest team in the league. It's 4-6 year olds and half my team is 4. That's why it's so crazy that they would allow 6 year olds to rough up 4 year olds.
Old Today, 07:37 AM   #73
In Search of a Life

We did some flag when my boys were that young but man.....that's pretty early. We do our school flag in 1 and 2nd grade.
O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old Today, 08:00 AM   #74
In Search of a Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by wazu View Post
Not sure where you live, staylor, but this full-contact blocking in a flag football league stuff is not typical at all. Both my boys played flag football in Liberty Parks and Rec from early grade school up through middle school. Never had this kind of experience. It was a great league. Neither of my boys decided to play tackle football. One of them loved baseball and made that his focus, the other went into rugby. But we had an absolute blast playing flag football all those years and I don't remember as a coach ever seriously considering leaving the league.
Unfortunately I live in Key West and I have no other options, so I guess my son won't be playing football until middle school. I will have him ready though. Breaks my heart though because he was really into it and one of my best players (easily the best under 6).
Old Today, 08:02 AM   #75
In Search of a Life

Yeah, we played flag football that early as mostly a 7 on 7 type thing.

That shouldn't be near that physical at that age.