Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Old 04-24-2010, 06:18 AM  
In Search of a Life

50 Beers to Try Before You Die

Thought the beer snobs here might like this article (and probably critique the hell out of it).

http://www.wisdeo.com/articles/view_post/2984
(CBS) You've heard of "100 Bottles of Beer on the Wall"?

How about 50 to try before you die?!
Spoiler!

Last edited by Bearcat; 04-01-2011 at 08:05 PM..
NewChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.NewChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.NewChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.NewChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.NewChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.NewChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.NewChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.NewChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.NewChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.NewChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.NewChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old Yesterday, 08:59 PM   #5776
BOOM!1!

I've had some decent beer this week.

Untitled Art's German Chocolate Pastry Stout - pretty smooth, and not overly boozy for 17%.

Drekker's new Fluff Stuff Raspberry - solid, but I prefer the mango and strawberry.

I also tried their Shark Punch Braaaaaaaains. Good stuff.

Headed to Cocoon Brewery tomorrow - probably my favorite brewery in Green Bay.

Honestly, most of the breweries in Green Bay are ass, outside of Cocoon.
Ceej is obviously part of the inner Circle.Ceej is obviously part of the inner Circle.Ceej is obviously part of the inner Circle.Ceej is obviously part of the inner Circle.Ceej is obviously part of the inner Circle.Ceej is obviously part of the inner Circle.Ceej is obviously part of the inner Circle.Ceej is obviously part of the inner Circle.Ceej is obviously part of the inner Circle.Ceej is obviously part of the inner Circle.Ceej is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:12 PM   #5777
Would an idiot do that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceej View Post
I've had some decent beer this week.

Untitled Art's German Chocolate Pastry Stout - pretty smooth, and not overly boozy for 17%.

Drekker's new Fluff Stuff Raspberry - solid, but I prefer the mango and strawberry.

I also tried their Shark Punch Braaaaaaaains. Good stuff.

Headed to Cocoon Brewery tomorrow - probably my favorite brewery in Green Bay.

Honestly, most of the breweries in Green Bay are ass, outside of Cocoon.
Never heard of it, but that line up looks killer... they have a beer named Bullet with Butterfly Wings and the first one I clicked on was "maple syrup and loads of blue berry puree".

Might have to add that one to my far north Drekker/Surly/Ursa adventure one day.
Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old Yesterday, 09:14 PM   #5778
Politically Incorrect

Had two of these last week at Oskars Slider Bar in Louisville.

Einstok Toasted Porter

Low ABV made them easy to drink on a very humid, hot day with the food.

Nice tasty smoky flavor.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Beer.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	127792  
scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old Yesterday, 09:16 PM   #5779
Politically Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper16 View Post
I would like to post for you all the contents of my beer fridge & beer cellar. I am but a poor college student, so it isn't all that impressive. But still:
Beer Fridge:
IPA/Imperial IPA:
1x Mikkeller 1000 IBU
1x Mikkeller Nelson Sauvin Single Hop IPA
1x Stone Cali-Belgique IPA
1x Russian River Pliny the Elder
3x Oskar Blues GUBNA

Strong Ale/Barleywine:
1x 2010 Sierra Nevada Bigfoot Barleywine
1x 2010 Founders Nemesis (Wheatwine)
1x Stone Sublimely-Self Righteous Ale (strong ale)

Stout/Imperial Stout:
1xBeer Here Dark Hops (hoppy stout)
1x 2010 Founders Kentucky Breakfast Stout
3x Great Lakes Blackout Stout

Belgian Styles:
1x 2010 Boulevard [Smokestack Series Limited-Release] Bourbon Barrel Quad (quadruple)
1x Boulevard [Smokestack Series Limited-Release] Collaboration No. 1 (Imperial Pilsner w/ Jon-Marie Rock of Orval monestary/brewery)
1x Boulevard [Smokestack Series] Saison
1x Boulevard [Smokestack Series] Tank 7 Farmhouse Ale (saison)
1x Jolly Pumpkin Bam Noire (saison)
1x Goose Island Sofie (saison)

German Styles:
2x Boulevard Boss Tom’s Golden Bock

Beer Cellar:

Imperial Stout:
10x Boulevard [Smokestack Series] Dark Truth Stout
2x Boulevard [Smokestack Series Limited-Release] Imperial Stout
2x 2009 Deschutes The Abyss (imperial stout)

1x Central Waters Bourbon Barrel Stout
1x 2008 Schlafly Reserve Bourbon Barrel Imperial Stout
1x 2009 Oskar Blues Ten FIDY Imperial Stout
2x 2010 Founders Kentucky Breakfast Stout
1x 2009 Founders Imperial Stout
1x 2008 Bell’s Expedition Stout
1x 2008 Stone Imperial Russian Stout

Strong Ale/Barleywine:
5x 2009 Sierra Nevada Bigfoot Barleywine
5x 2010 Sierra Nevada Bigfoot Barleywine
3x 2010 Founders Nemesis (wheatwine)
1x Boulevard [Smokestack Series] Harvest Dance Wheatwine
1x Boulevard [Smokestack Series Limited Release] Rye-on-Rye (ryewine)
1x Hair of the Dog Fred (barleywine)
1x 2009 Hair of the Dog Doggie Claws (barleywine)
1x East End Brewing Gratitude (barleywine)
5x Bell’s Batch 9000 Ale (strong ale)
1x 2010 Stone Old Guardian Barleywine
1x Port Old Viscosity (strong ale)

Saison/Farmhouse Ale:
5x 2009 Boulevard [Smokestack Series Limited Release] Saison-Brett
1x New Glarus Imperial Saison
1x Lost Abbey Red Barn Farmhouse Ale
1x The Bruery Saison de Lente
1x The Bruery Saison Rue
1x Dupont Avec Les Bons Voeux
2x Fantome Belgian Saison
2x Fantome Saison D'Erezée - Hiver
1x Fantome BBB Dark White

Belgian styles:
1x 2010 Boulevard [Smokestack Series Limited Release] Bourbon Barrel Quad
1x Russian River Damnation (Belgian strong pale ale)

Wild Ale/Sour Beer:
1x Russian River Consecration (wild ale)
1x Russian River Temptation (wild ale)
1x Victory WildDevil (Belgian IPA w/ Brettonomyces)
1x Goose Island Juliet (wild ale)

Porter:
1x 2009 Deschutes Black Butte XXI (imperial porter)
1x 2009 Alaskan Smoked Porter
1x Stone Vertical Epic 09.09.09 (Belgian imperial porter)
1x New Glarus Olde English Porter

Fruit beer:
1x New Glarus Raspberry Tart
1x New Glarus Belgian Red
1x Dogfish Head Fort

Miscellaneous:
1x 2006 Deschutes Jubilale (winter warmer)
1x 2010 Bell’s HopSlam
This guy was serious!
scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old Yesterday, 09:18 PM   #5780
BOOM!1!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcat View Post
Never heard of it, but that line up looks killer... they have a beer named Bullet with Butterfly Wings and the first one I clicked on was "maple syrup and loads of blue berry puree".

Might have to add that one to my far north Drekker/Surly/Ursa adventure one day.
We were just up in Grand Marais a few weeks back. We had plans to visit Ursa Minor on our way through, but didn't time wasn't on our side. However, I was able to get my hands on some of their offerings - Galactic Face Slap and Badass Warrior Goddess are both solid hazy IPAs.

If you do have the extra time - check out Voyageur Brewing up in Grand Marais, some really solid beer, a great atmosphere and a pretty sweet view.
Ceej is obviously part of the inner Circle.Ceej is obviously part of the inner Circle.Ceej is obviously part of the inner Circle.Ceej is obviously part of the inner Circle.Ceej is obviously part of the inner Circle.Ceej is obviously part of the inner Circle.Ceej is obviously part of the inner Circle.Ceej is obviously part of the inner Circle.Ceej is obviously part of the inner Circle.Ceej is obviously part of the inner Circle.Ceej is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old Yesterday, 09:20 PM   #5781
BOOM!1!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scho63 View Post
Had two of these last week at Oskars Slider Bar in Louisville.

Einstok Toasted Porter

Low ABV made them easy to drink on a very humid, hot day with the food.

Nice tasty smoky flavor.
We sell/distribute this.

It's pretty cool seeing some of the beers I work with daily being consumed by fellow Chiefs Planeteers.
Old Yesterday, 09:27 PM   #5782
Would an idiot do that?

Quote:
We were just up in Grand Marais a few weeks back. We had plans to visit Ursa Minor on our way through, but didn't time wasn't on our side. However, I was able to get my hands on some of their offerings - Galactic Face Slap and Badass Warrior Goddess are both solid hazy IPAs.

If you do have the extra time - check out Voyageur Brewing up in Grand Marais, some really solid beer, a great atmosphere and a pretty sweet view.
Damn, that's up there... and I thought driving to Duluth would be out of the way.

And damn, look at Reaper with New Glarus back in freakin' 2010, don't think you can get it outside of Wisconsin now.
Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old Today, 07:52 AM   #5783
Veteran

Quote:

Portland is awesome... Barreled Souls is in nearby Saco and they have world class stouts and barleywines. Bissell Brothers, Allagash, and so on. Jot down High Roller Lobster Company, that place is incredible (it's hard to go wrong with food though).
I was in Portland for the fourth of July and got to hit up Tree House on the way up which was a bucket list for me, but Bissell Brothers was awesome as well. And they have probably the greatest brewery business location I've ever seen, placed strategically across the parking lot from the Portland Childrens museum. So you are sitting there and it's just wave after wave of weary parents needing a drink in the worst way after herding their kids for 3 hours. They just print money on the weekends because of that.
SithCeNtZ is not part of the Right 53.SithCeNtZ is not part of the Right 53.SithCeNtZ is not part of the Right 53.SithCeNtZ is not part of the Right 53.SithCeNtZ is not part of the Right 53.SithCeNtZ is not part of the Right 53.SithCeNtZ is not part of the Right 53.SithCeNtZ is not part of the Right 53.SithCeNtZ is not part of the Right 53.SithCeNtZ is not part of the Right 53.SithCeNtZ is not part of the Right 53.
Old Today, 08:08 AM   #5784
Starter

Quote:
North Park is dangerously close and oh so delicious... I've never been one to seek out the absolute freshest IPAs, but the guy at the counter today mentioned "well, that one is like 2 weeks old...", so they take it seriously.

Grabbed a 4 pack, canned 4 days ago.

Was in SD in late June and hit North Park and no doubt their stuff is legit. Tasty!
kgrund is not part of the Right 53.kgrund is not part of the Right 53.kgrund is not part of the Right 53.kgrund is not part of the Right 53.kgrund is not part of the Right 53.kgrund is not part of the Right 53.kgrund is not part of the Right 53.kgrund is not part of the Right 53.kgrund is not part of the Right 53.kgrund is not part of the Right 53.kgrund is not part of the Right 53.
Old Today, 08:26 AM   #5785
Would an idiot do that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SithCeNtZ View Post
I was in Portland for the fourth of July and got to hit up Tree House on the way up which was a bucket list for me, but Bissell Brothers was awesome as well. And they have probably the greatest brewery business location I've ever seen, placed strategically across the parking lot from the Portland Childrens museum. So you are sitting there and it's just wave after wave of weary parents needing a drink in the worst way after herding their kids for 3 hours. They just print money on the weekends because of that.
...stopped by BB for a stout, but it was a pretty quick stop since I wanted one more chance to get to Barrelled Souls.

I stopped by Tree House Tewksbury a couple times and that property is freakin' amazing... I'd get there right at opening because so many reviews talked about how crazy it was, but never saw it out of control and at most it took a couple minutes to get beer. It used to be a golf club house and they have a great outdoor space. IPAs were great of course, and they had some really good stouts as well (of course I'm the only person in the world who goes to Tree House and orders the stouts).

Trillium in downtown Boston was a favorite, too.
Old Today, 10:09 AM   #5786
Cheat Death

The BEST beers in PHX are North Park distro

KCUnited is obviously part of the inner Circle.KCUnited is obviously part of the inner Circle.KCUnited is obviously part of the inner Circle.KCUnited is obviously part of the inner Circle.KCUnited is obviously part of the inner Circle.KCUnited is obviously part of the inner Circle.KCUnited is obviously part of the inner Circle.KCUnited is obviously part of the inner Circle.KCUnited is obviously part of the inner Circle.KCUnited is obviously part of the inner Circle.KCUnited is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 2 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:23 AM   #5787
BOOM!1!

Man, I'm just hearing about The Great Taste of the Midwest - located in Madison, Wisconsin every year.

There are approximately 1400 beers to try for only $70.

I'm definitely hitting it up next year. You guys should check out the breweries on the list. Insane.
Old Today, 11:45 AM   #5788
Cheat Death

Quote:
Man, I'm just hearing about The Great Taste of the Midwest - located in Madison, Wisconsin every year.

There are approximately 1400 beers to try for only $70.

I'm definitely hitting it up next year. You guys should check out the breweries on the list. Insane.
I went to The Taste in 2021 and I'd put it in my top 3 festivals, competing with DLD and FoBAB in Chicago

Whats cool about The Taste is breweries are required to represent to attend. Lot of breweries just send kegs to festivals and its local volunteers pouring them, but with The Taste you get to interact and network with the actual brewers, not just at the event, but the day or 2 leading up to with special tapping events happening all over Madison. Its an actual brewers festival

Pro tip: its a lottery system for tickets (at least it was in '21 but that was coming out of Covid) unless you live in Madison then I think they go on sale to locals at like HyVee or someplace comparible. So even if you think there's a chance, I'd book a refundable room now and cancel if you can't make it. Also the whole thing is totally walkable from the capital area and they offer free rides back. Also join the Facebook group and you can usually find tickets at cost if you don't land the lottery

In '21 to get tickets you had to physically mail them a check and if it got cashed you knew you won the lottery and they mailed you the tickets. Its Midwest AF

Its a world class run festival though. I hope to return one day

Oh and you get the taster glass

KCUnited is obviously part of the inner Circle.KCUnited is obviously part of the inner Circle.KCUnited is obviously part of the inner Circle.KCUnited is obviously part of the inner Circle.KCUnited is obviously part of the inner Circle.KCUnited is obviously part of the inner Circle.KCUnited is obviously part of the inner Circle.KCUnited is obviously part of the inner Circle.KCUnited is obviously part of the inner Circle.KCUnited is obviously part of the inner Circle.KCUnited is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old Today, 11:59 AM   #5789
BOOM!1!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCUnited View Post
I went to The Taste in 2021 and I'd put it in my top 3 festivals, competing with DLD and FoBAB in Chicago

Whats cool about The Taste is breweries are required to represent to attend. Lot of breweries just send kegs to festivals and its local volunteers pouring them, but with The Taste you get to interact and network with the actual brewers, not just at the event, but the day or 2 leading up to with special tapping events happening all over Madison. Its an actual brewers festival

Pro tip: its a lottery system for tickets (at least it was in '21 but that was coming out of Covid) unless you live in Madison then I think they go on sale to locals at like HyVee or someplace comparible. So even if you think there's a chance, I'd book a refundable room now and cancel if you can't make it. Also the whole thing is totally walkable from the capital area and they offer free rides back. Also join the Facebook group and you can usually find tickets at cost if you don't land the lottery

In '21 to get tickets you had to physically mail them a check and if it got cashed you knew you won the lottery and they mailed you the tickets. Its Midwest AF

Its a world class run festival though. I hope to return one day

Oh and you get the taster glass

Appreciate all of the information - thankfully we live about 2 hours from Madison. My wife will be the DD, hopefully.
Old Today, 12:21 PM   #5790
Cheat Death

Quote:
Appreciate all of the information - thankfully we live about 2 hours from Madison. My wife will be the DD, hopefully.
I lived in Chicago for a decade and regret only making it once, so 2 hours away is a must-do

Bring snacks and water. I think I took a Coleman backpack cooler and some foldout chairs for the wife and I

I know Surly does an event in the days leading up. Toppling Goliath brings the heat. Drekker brings the goods. Download the app and see where breweries are if you want to make a plan. Lot of people go crazy over the hype beers but there's plenty of great shit pouring all day. Thought I read where Goose isn't going this year so maybe no BCBS but there's better stuff there anyway

Not sure what its like there now but we got perfect weather in '21 which added to the joy

Madison is awesome