Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Old Yesterday, 03:04 PM  
Supporter

Armadillo invasion

These disgusting little critters are migrating north and are causing some maddening damage on my property. I have learned that several of my friends are also experiencing this you. How about you? Have you any suggestions or experience with them?

I remember when as a kid, they were not north of Texas. Then according to what I have found they made it north to Missouri in the 70s. Armadillos migrated to North America through Central America and Mexico, crossing the Rio Grande River in the late 1800s. Humans also introduced them to Florida during this time.

Now, I don't intend to start an argument about climate change, but they don't like the cold and they are mostly nocturnal, but they may be more active during the day when it's cooler. Researchers believe climate change is a factor in armadillos' northward expansion, as they prefer hot weather and sandy or clay environments.

There is a ton of information out there on them, so I am not going to bore you with cutting and pasting all of it.

Below is just a small sample of the damage they have been doing to my property.

Below is a picture of one I shot the other night a 3 AM. No, armadillos are not protected in Missouri, and are legal to hunt and trap year-round. The Missouri Department of Conservation (MDC) allows residents to trap or shoot armadillos that are causing damage to their property.
Armadillos are considered a nuisance because they can: Damage lawns and gardens, Burrow into the ground, and Carry bacteria that can cause leprosy.

Last edited by HemiEd; Yesterday at 03:17 PM..
HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old Yesterday, 07:21 PM   #31
Indian Twitter

Quote:
People may become infected from other people with untreated leprosy or from the nine-banded armadillo, a natural host of M. leprae. There is a risk that armadillos may contaminate soil with the leprosy bacteria by burrowing and defecating, infecting humans who later handle soil.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...C&opi=89978449

Nasty critters
philfree has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.philfree has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.philfree has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.philfree has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.philfree has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.philfree has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.philfree has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.philfree has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.philfree has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.philfree has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.philfree has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:22 PM   #32
In Search of a Life

You probably have grubs. Treat the grubs and they will leave your lawn alone.
IowaHawkeyeChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.IowaHawkeyeChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.IowaHawkeyeChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.IowaHawkeyeChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.IowaHawkeyeChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.IowaHawkeyeChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.IowaHawkeyeChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.IowaHawkeyeChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.IowaHawkeyeChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.IowaHawkeyeChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.IowaHawkeyeChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old Yesterday, 07:32 PM   #33
George Brett shit his pants

Giant rats
BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old Yesterday, 09:13 PM   #34
Veteran

Argentina is infested with armadillo's so this idea that they're incapable of living in colder climates is alarmist BS (it's 26 degree's in Salta and you'll find armadillo's there)...They proliferate because they bread like pigs and eat anything and everything and can reproduce faster than they can be killed off by coyote's.
seamonster wants to die in a aids tree fire.seamonster wants to die in a aids tree fire.seamonster wants to die in a aids tree fire.seamonster wants to die in a aids tree fire.seamonster wants to die in a aids tree fire.seamonster wants to die in a aids tree fire.seamonster wants to die in a aids tree fire.seamonster wants to die in a aids tree fire.seamonster wants to die in a aids tree fire.seamonster wants to die in a aids tree fire.seamonster wants to die in a aids tree fire.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 1     Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:30 PM   #35
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammock Parties View Post
i know for a fact they've been all over the area north of springfield for years now

dad used to sit on the porch and snipe them so the dog wouldn't get into one
I've got my .22 ready for a couple raccoons roaming around the area. I should put my trap out.
neech 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.neech 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.neech 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.neech 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.neech 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.neech 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.neech 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.neech 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.neech 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.neech 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.neech 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.
Old Yesterday, 09:32 PM   #36
Forever Royal

Quote:
Originally Posted by seamonster View Post
Argentina is infested with armadillo's so this idea that they're incapable of living in colder climates is alarmist BS (it's 26 degree's in Salta and you'll find armadillo's there)...They proliferate because they bread like pigs and eat anything and everything and can reproduce faster than they can be killed off by coyote's.

A quick search shows that there are real biological reasons that they prefer winters less harsh than what you get the further north you go.

Also there are a variety of species, some native to Argentina, so no surprise they do well there. Interestingly this article shows that the US armadillo is actually a different species than the similar one in Argentina, which apparently was typically thought to be the same due to the similar appearance.

https://amp.miamiherald.com/news/nat...289577360.html
mr. tegu is obviously part of the inner Circle.mr. tegu is obviously part of the inner Circle.mr. tegu is obviously part of the inner Circle.mr. tegu is obviously part of the inner Circle.mr. tegu is obviously part of the inner Circle.mr. tegu is obviously part of the inner Circle.mr. tegu is obviously part of the inner Circle.mr. tegu is obviously part of the inner Circle.mr. tegu is obviously part of the inner Circle.mr. tegu is obviously part of the inner Circle.mr. tegu is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old Today, 05:13 AM   #37
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IowaHawkeyeChief View Post
You probably have grubs. Treat the grubs and they will leave your lawn alone.
Yes sir, I do treat them annually with Merit per the recommendation of 2112. It has worked getting rid of the Japanese beetles that were such a pest.

But obviously it hasn't eliminated all of them this season. Last night, per the recommendation of an old friend I put several small open containers of Pinesol
around the yard and lit the yard up pretty well. It seems to have worked.
HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old Today, 05:21 AM   #38
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by seamonster View Post
That is interesting and very different from all that I could find to read about them.
I am starting to get concerned about our family farm in NW Kansas now as their northern migration continues.

I can only imagine how bad they would **** up a nice planted field.
Old Today, 05:26 AM   #39
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaChief58 View Post
I get one in my yard from time to time, and yes, they can tear up a yard in no time. Unfortunately, I can't get rid of the little assholes like you can since the cops frown on people shooting guns within city limits. I use a live trap baited with grubs to catch them, then release them out in the woods.
One of my friends in Wichita with the same city issue sent me this message this morning.

"Hey Ed I got him tonight with my . 177 pellet rifle with 2 shots to his body and then smashed his head with my Ball bat."
Old Today, 08:35 AM   #40
Spiraling down the Drain

Armored rats.
BlackHelicopters is obviously part of the inner Circle.BlackHelicopters is obviously part of the inner Circle.BlackHelicopters is obviously part of the inner Circle.BlackHelicopters is obviously part of the inner Circle.BlackHelicopters is obviously part of the inner Circle.BlackHelicopters is obviously part of the inner Circle.BlackHelicopters is obviously part of the inner Circle.BlackHelicopters is obviously part of the inner Circle.BlackHelicopters is obviously part of the inner Circle.BlackHelicopters is obviously part of the inner Circle.BlackHelicopters is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old Today, 08:38 AM   #41
umm...what do I say here?

I wouldn't know for sure but I bet a .22 mag is just about perfect for them....lol. 9mm also works great they just crawl off and die somewhere. Those things are mostly dumb enough for you to drive right up to them and lean out the window I think.
btlook1 must have mowed badgirl's lawn.btlook1 must have mowed badgirl's lawn.btlook1 must have mowed badgirl's lawn.btlook1 must have mowed badgirl's lawn.btlook1 must have mowed badgirl's lawn.btlook1 must have mowed badgirl's lawn.btlook1 must have mowed badgirl's lawn.btlook1 must have mowed badgirl's lawn.btlook1 must have mowed badgirl's lawn.btlook1 must have mowed badgirl's lawn.btlook1 must have mowed badgirl's lawn.
Old Today, 08:58 AM   #42
Constable of Untruths

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dole View Post
I had one that kept burrowing in to my well house a couple of years ago and it was a pain in my ass. I caught it in a wire box trap one night/day and by 5pm it had bent the shit out of trap and escaped. Fixed the trap and caught it a couple of days later and moved it about 20 miles south. Haven't seen any on the homestead the past couple of years.

They apparently can't see for shit.
Why did you move it? They are rats with armor. If you caught a rat on your property, would you move it 20 miles away or kill it?
LoneWolf is obviously part of the inner Circle.LoneWolf is obviously part of the inner Circle.LoneWolf is obviously part of the inner Circle.LoneWolf is obviously part of the inner Circle.LoneWolf is obviously part of the inner Circle.LoneWolf is obviously part of the inner Circle.LoneWolf is obviously part of the inner Circle.LoneWolf is obviously part of the inner Circle.LoneWolf is obviously part of the inner Circle.LoneWolf is obviously part of the inner Circle.LoneWolf is obviously part of the inner Circle.