Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Old 06-25-2023, 01:16 PM  
I'll be back.

Class action lawsuit filed over Jackson County assessments

https://www.kctv5.com/2023/06/25/cla...y-assessments/

Quote:
KANSAS CITY, Mo. (KCTV) - A new class action lawsuit challenges the quality of Jackson County’s property assessment. It calls into question if some increases are even legal considering some notices came in the mail after the June 15 deadline, as required by state statutes.

The filing asks a judge to step in and offer injunctive relief. It also calls for a jury trial.

The lawsuit was filed by attorney and developer Ken McClain on behalf of Trevor and Amanda Tilton of Odessa and two businesses.

The lawsuit is critical of the methodology used by Jackson County to reach new values. It argues the newly-built assessment system fails to include sufficient information and there’s a lack of physical inspections.

It points out assessments should consider current market conditions. It argues that didn’t happen when it came to commercial property.

The lawsuit claims Jackson County uniformly increased the value of every non-vacant commercial property with an improvement by 25%. And vacant commercial properties had an across-the-board increase of roughly 50%.

KCTV5 has heard from numerous homeowners who are shocked by the large increases in their assessments. Some question if they’ll be able to keep their homes. They also question if they can realistically sell when property tax assessments increase so much in one fell swoop.

READ MORE: Jackson County property assessment workshops kick off
There has been a 30% average increase in Jackson County. The Assessor’s Office argues homeowners are seeing large increases because Jackson County real estate has not been assessed with Fair Market Valuations (FMV) for a long time and building costs have increased.

The lawsuit is filed against Jackson County Executive Frank White, Assessor Gail McCann Beatty and other members of the Board of Equalization.

KCTV5 reached out to Jackson County’s public information officer for comment but we have not heard back yet.
Politicans exempt from insane take hikes

Legislation drawn to overturn insane tax hikes:

Protest scheduled at Jackson County Courthouse:

KC Town Hall scheduled July 15

Last edited by Hammock Parties; 07-09-2023 at 07:57 AM..
Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 07-10-2023, 06:40 AM   #331
Constable of Untruths

Quote:
Originally Posted by HonestChieffan View Post
Just a warm up for when the people get to pay for a new Royals Stadium. Hard to believe these clowns continue to get elected because nobody goes to vote them out. Gotta pay for all the stuff done before the Draft and now getting ready for a soccer game.
Tax revenues generated during the draft should have dwarfed whatever was spent to get ready to host it. The same goes for the World Cup games.
LoneWolf is obviously part of the inner Circle.LoneWolf is obviously part of the inner Circle.LoneWolf is obviously part of the inner Circle.LoneWolf is obviously part of the inner Circle.LoneWolf is obviously part of the inner Circle.LoneWolf is obviously part of the inner Circle.LoneWolf is obviously part of the inner Circle.LoneWolf is obviously part of the inner Circle.LoneWolf is obviously part of the inner Circle.LoneWolf is obviously part of the inner Circle.LoneWolf is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 07-10-2023, 07:36 AM   #332
Plays to win the game!

Here's the problem with corporate greed. After a year plus of people selling houses at over-inflated prices because it's a seller's market, mixed with inflation in that market and a ridiculously high interest rate, you get the run-off going to people who didn't sell their houses during that time to pay for the companies who told the people their houses were worth $100k more than what they were this time last year. Eventually Uncle Sam is going to get his.

We bought our house for $340k in 2020, in the last year someone told us it was worth $452k all of a sudden and at that particular time we probably should've sold, but now it's worth $472k on Zillow and $495k through Bank of America's estimator. I haven't changed anything in that house, haven't even painted the walls, same kinda gross carpet that needs to be replaced, same boring beige colors that we just settle with, but everything is the same, just added a fence and replaced a garbage disposal that was leaking, but some idiot now says my house is worth $100k more plus than what it was almost three years ago. Someone got rich off new loans, with high as hell interest rates, off existing property by creating a demand and driving up home buying during and after the pandemic. Just another scheme to come out of that time period that some margin of people get screwed out on. Banks, lenders, mortgage companies, whoever you want to blame, follow the money and you'll see who really screwed you over. The stupidest argument I've heard yet is someone saying, "Well the supply chain and building material costs going up." On an already built house? Where the only thing to sign a terrible new loan that you need is paperwork, people's time and a pen? I love how we don't know who is really screwing us, or they're such good con-artists they made sure they could get away with it without legal repercussions. As soon as they told me what my house was worth, I'm like, "That's not right." If it's too good to be true, it always is. Members of congress, Republican or Democrat, and news outlets, you want to actually get a win for the American people, unearth this scheme and where that money is going.

Last edited by Gravedigger; 07-10-2023 at 07:51 AM..
Gravedigger Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Gravedigger Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Gravedigger Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Gravedigger Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Gravedigger Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Gravedigger Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Gravedigger Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Gravedigger Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Gravedigger Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Gravedigger Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Gravedigger Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.
Old 07-10-2023, 08:04 AM   #333
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravedigger View Post
Here's the problem with corporate greed. After a year plus of people selling houses at over-inflated prices because it's a seller's market, mixed with inflation in that market and a ridiculously high interest rate, you get the run-off going to people who didn't sell their houses during that time to pay for the companies who told the people their houses were worth $100k more than what they were this time last year. Eventually Uncle Sam is going to get his.

We bought our house for $340k in 2020, in the last year someone told us it was worth $452k all of a sudden and at that particular time we probably should've sold, but now it's worth $472k on Zillow and $495k through Bank of America's estimator. I haven't changed anything in that house, haven't even painted the walls, same kinda gross carpet that needs to be replaced, same boring beige colors that we just settle with, but everything is the same, just added a fence and replaced a garbage disposal that was leaking, but some idiot now says my house is worth $100k more plus than what it was almost three years ago. Someone got rich off new loans, with high as hell interest rates, off existing property by creating a demand and driving up home buying during and after the pandemic. Just another scheme to come out of that time period that some margin of people get screwed out on. Banks, lenders, mortgage companies, whoever you want to blame, follow the money and you'll see who really screwed you over. The stupidest argument I've heard yet is someone saying, "Well the supply chain and building material costs going up." On an already built house? Where the only thing to sign a terrible new loan that you need is paperwork, people's time and a pen? I love how we don't know who is really screwing us, or they're such good con-artists they made sure they could get away with it without legal repercussions. As soon as they told me what my house was worth, I'm like, "That's not right." If it's too good to be true, it always is. Members of congress, Republican or Democrat, and news outlets, you want to actually get a win for the American people, unearth this scheme and where that money is going.
Supply chain issues, higher quallity, low rates , and labor shortages drove up the price of new construction. The inability to afford a new home forced 1st and 2nd time homeowners back into older neighborhoods, so DEMAND, not materials forced the prices of existing homes up as well as new. The only way most buyers could tolerate older homes was to completely renovate them into "farmhouse/industrial", and that is where materials and labor shortages showed up in existing neighborhoods for thos unable to do the work themselves. As far as "ridiculous interest rates" go, in the 90s when I originated my first loan, rates were at 9%, but around 1981, my parents were both in the mortgage business and rates hit 18.63% for 30-yr conventional...sort of redefines "ridiculous".
Woogieman is not part of the Right 53.Woogieman is not part of the Right 53.Woogieman is not part of the Right 53.Woogieman is not part of the Right 53.Woogieman is not part of the Right 53.Woogieman is not part of the Right 53.Woogieman is not part of the Right 53.Woogieman is not part of the Right 53.Woogieman is not part of the Right 53.Woogieman is not part of the Right 53.Woogieman is not part of the Right 53.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2023, 08:46 AM   #334
I'll be back.

Video at link

Jackson County homeowners gather for protest on property tax assessments

Quote:
KANSAS CITY, Mo. (KCTV) - Jackson County homeowners, beyond frustrated with their property tax assessments gathered at the courthouse Downtown to protest, Saturday morning.

Many said they have started the appeals process but that it’s simply not enough to fix the larger issue.

“We don’t need any more lies; we need to be faced with the truth,” said one supporter.

Homeowners saw a sharp increase in their property values, which in turn meant higher taxes. And although the average increase from the county assessment was around 30 percent, many residents said theirs went up well above that.

“My property went up 75 percent from what it was in 2021,” said one homeowner.

“It went 115 percent up. It’s disgusting because we don’t even know where that money is going,” said another.

These homeowners are not only seeing an alarmingly large increase, they said they are also seeing inequalities throughout their community, as well.

“I live in eastern Jackson County, and I’m being taxed higher than half or two-thirds of the people in Lee’s Summit and they have parks and recreation, they have more libraries, they have more things that are paid for supposedly by the taxes that we’re paying,” said a frustrated homeowner.

“There’s someone behind us that went up 80 percent someone in the neighborhood a little mile down here’s only went up $200. So, there’s huge inequalities,” explained another.

Some homeowners said they’re worried about affording their homes after the assessments and are even more concerned about where the tax money is going.

“People can hardly afford gas and eggs and if they can’t afford gas and eggs then they certainly can’t afford a tax increase of hundreds of dollars per month,” said the homeowner.

“We’ve had our taxes more than doubled, I know a lot of folks are in a similar situation, nobody should have to lose their house because the government is taking our money and spending it god knows where,” said another in agreement.

On Friday, Jackson County extended the deadline for property owners to appeal their assessments to July 31st, three weeks after the original deadline, which was on Monday.

“It’s a start but appealing isn’t enough,” said a homeowner.

Jackson County Legislator Manny Abarca was vocal at the protest and said the extension is a hopeful sign that they are gaining momentum.

“Appeal your taxes, make sure you have your information, do the informal, if you disagree with that go to the state tax commission. Those are the only paths right now that provide a change to your bill,” said Abarca.

The Board of Equalization will continue to hear appeals until the end of August. You must start that appeals process by the end of July.
Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 07-10-2023, 09:00 AM   #335
Constable of Untruths

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammock Parties View Post
Video at link

Jackson County homeowners gather for protest on property tax assessments
Hey dumbasses, you don’t have shit in your neighborhoods because you’ve been paying dick for taxes for years. It’s not rocket surgery.
LoneWolf is obviously part of the inner Circle.LoneWolf is obviously part of the inner Circle.LoneWolf is obviously part of the inner Circle.LoneWolf is obviously part of the inner Circle.LoneWolf is obviously part of the inner Circle.LoneWolf is obviously part of the inner Circle.LoneWolf is obviously part of the inner Circle.LoneWolf is obviously part of the inner Circle.LoneWolf is obviously part of the inner Circle.LoneWolf is obviously part of the inner Circle.LoneWolf is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 2     Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2023, 09:08 AM   #336
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolf View Post
Hey dumbasses, you don’t have shit in your neighborhoods because you’ve been paying dick for taxes for years. It’s not rocket surgery.
What does "you don't have shit in your neighborhoods" mean? Are you suggesting that every homeowner has a desire for tennis courts, walking trails, and off-leash dog parks? Exactly how many thousands of dollars year do you feel is the right amount of property taxes?
Woogieman is not part of the Right 53.Woogieman is not part of the Right 53.Woogieman is not part of the Right 53.Woogieman is not part of the Right 53.Woogieman is not part of the Right 53.Woogieman is not part of the Right 53.Woogieman is not part of the Right 53.Woogieman is not part of the Right 53.Woogieman is not part of the Right 53.Woogieman is not part of the Right 53.Woogieman is not part of the Right 53.
Old 07-10-2023, 09:15 AM   #337
best in the biz

Quote:
Let me see if i can explain this in a way you understand. Let’s say my great grandfather was in Paris in the early 1900s and bought a painting for $20 off of a young artist named Pablo Picasso. He hangs that painting in his house and it hangs in his home until his death when it is passed on to his son. One day someone notices the name of the artist on the painting and the family has the painting appraised. The painting is appraised at 1.5 million and identified as from Picasso’s blue period. The family holds onto the painting and several years later they put the painting up for auction where it sells for 22 million. Should the family refuse that money and sell the painting for whatever $20 would be valued at considering inflation or should they only accept 1.5 million which was the original appraisal amount?

Supply and demand set values and prices in a free market economy. By definition that means they aren’t overvalued/overpriced.
Yes, they are overpriced. Know one of the reasons why?

What percentage of homes being built are starter homes for young couples.? Next to nothing.

A buddy of mine was the Super on building a subdivision South of the city, for a company owned by Blackrock. They aren't for sale, they're for rent...at $2500 a pop.

Land doesn't go up in value, but greed does.
stevieray is obviously part of the inner Circle.stevieray is obviously part of the inner Circle.stevieray is obviously part of the inner Circle.stevieray is obviously part of the inner Circle.stevieray is obviously part of the inner Circle.stevieray is obviously part of the inner Circle.stevieray is obviously part of the inner Circle.stevieray is obviously part of the inner Circle.stevieray is obviously part of the inner Circle.stevieray is obviously part of the inner Circle.stevieray is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2023, 09:30 AM
Titty Meat
This message has been deleted by Titty Meat. Reason: .
Old 07-10-2023, 09:32 AM   #338
Would an idiot do that?

Quote:

Supply and demand set values and prices in a free market economy. By definition that means they aren’t overvalued/overpriced.
I'd say the one thing that ****s it up is the amount of money banks are willing to throw at people, which drives up the number of people looking in a certain price range, which in turn ****s with demand.

Yeah, on a 25 year old $150k home, I bet inflation alone moves the needle well over $200k if not $250+, much less market demand... and as you said, the house is only worth what people are willing to pay for it.

Yet, many people may not be willing to pay $350k until someone who's supposed to know what the hell they're talking about tells them oh, you can afford way more house than $275! And suddenly they're trying to outbid 5 other people who should also never be looking in that price range.

(unlike Arizona where rich California assholes offer cash way over the asking price, and drive up prices. )
Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 2 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2023, 09:57 AM   #339
Constable of Untruths

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevieray View Post
Yes, they are overpriced. Know one of the reasons why?

What percentage of homes being built are starter homes for young couples.? Next to nothing.

A buddy of mine was the Super on building a subdivision South of the city, for a company owned by Blackrock. They aren't for sale, they're for rent...at $2500 a pop.

Land doesn’t go up in value might be the dumbest thing I’ve ever read on here. Land is a finite resource. As supply shrinks, prices/value increases. It’s almost like you’ve never studied economics.
Thumbs Up 5 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2023, 09:58 AM   #340
Constable of Untruths

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woogieman View Post
What does "you don't have shit in your neighborhoods" mean? Are you suggesting that every homeowner has a desire for tennis courts, walking trails, and off-leash dog parks? Exactly how many thousands of dollars year do you feel is the right amount of property taxes?
Read the article. That’s what they are bitching about.
Old 07-10-2023, 10:01 AM   #341
Mod Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevieray View Post

I’d like to commission an art piece from you.

I want to pay your 1992 rates you charge.

Thank you.
lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 3 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2023, 10:11 AM   #342
Supporter

Quote:
Land doesn’t go up in value might be the dumbest thing I’ve ever read on here. Land is a finite resource. As supply shrinks, prices/value increases. It’s almost like you’ve never studied economics.
Stevie is stuck in 1972.
penguinz threw an interception on a screen pass.penguinz threw an interception on a screen pass.penguinz threw an interception on a screen pass.penguinz threw an interception on a screen pass.penguinz threw an interception on a screen pass.penguinz threw an interception on a screen pass.penguinz threw an interception on a screen pass.penguinz threw an interception on a screen pass.penguinz threw an interception on a screen pass.penguinz threw an interception on a screen pass.penguinz threw an interception on a screen pass.
Thumbs Up 4 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2023, 10:12 AM   #343
Starter

Quote:
Read the article. That’s what they are bitching about.
I see...I thought was the same article from last week. That was one person's quote, that hardly represents the crux of the matter or the sentiments of Jackson County residents as a whole.
Old 07-10-2023, 10:36 AM   #344
Seeking the Truth daily

Quote:
Tax revenues generated during the draft should have dwarfed whatever was spent to get ready to host it. The same goes for the World Cup games.
so they say.
HonestChieffan is obviously part of the inner Circle.HonestChieffan is obviously part of the inner Circle.HonestChieffan is obviously part of the inner Circle.HonestChieffan is obviously part of the inner Circle.HonestChieffan is obviously part of the inner Circle.HonestChieffan is obviously part of the inner Circle.HonestChieffan is obviously part of the inner Circle.HonestChieffan is obviously part of the inner Circle.HonestChieffan is obviously part of the inner Circle.HonestChieffan is obviously part of the inner Circle.HonestChieffan is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 07-10-2023, 10:42 AM   #345
Inmem 2.0

I'll be at the next protest with my let's go Brandon shirt
Titty Meat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Titty Meat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Titty Meat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Titty Meat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Titty Meat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Titty Meat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Titty Meat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Titty Meat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Titty Meat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Titty Meat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Titty Meat is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 3 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote