Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Old Today, 07:37 AM  
It was not a fair catch

GFI keeps tripping

My GFI on my utility room is lit up and when I press reset, it trips again.

I have unplugged everything I think is plugged into it. Still trips. Rest of house is ok.

Bad GFI? Or real issue?
8 years old.

Can I replace it myself or call an electrician?

Had to plug sump and modem into other rooms. No biggie.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old Today, 09:27 AM   #16
In Search of a Life

As others have said, it's either the GFI, a loose wire in the circuit in another outlet, or moisture getting in the outside areas. Since it happened with rain, it most likely is the latter.
IowaHawkeyeChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.IowaHawkeyeChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.IowaHawkeyeChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.IowaHawkeyeChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.IowaHawkeyeChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.IowaHawkeyeChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.IowaHawkeyeChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.IowaHawkeyeChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.IowaHawkeyeChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.IowaHawkeyeChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.IowaHawkeyeChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old Today, 09:32 AM   #17
MVP

Have you tried pouring antifreeze on it?
WhawhaWhat has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.WhawhaWhat has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.WhawhaWhat has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.WhawhaWhat has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.WhawhaWhat has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.WhawhaWhat has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.WhawhaWhat has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.WhawhaWhat has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.WhawhaWhat has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.WhawhaWhat has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.WhawhaWhat has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.
Thumbs Up 2 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:40 AM   #18
Mahomes Fanboi

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtCobain View Post
Burn the house down.
If he is in MN, I suppose BLM/Walz could do that for him.
Molitoth is obviously part of the inner Circle.Molitoth is obviously part of the inner Circle.Molitoth is obviously part of the inner Circle.Molitoth is obviously part of the inner Circle.Molitoth is obviously part of the inner Circle.Molitoth is obviously part of the inner Circle.Molitoth is obviously part of the inner Circle.Molitoth is obviously part of the inner Circle.Molitoth is obviously part of the inner Circle.Molitoth is obviously part of the inner Circle.Molitoth is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 2 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:42 AM   #19
Constable of Untruths

It's time for an intervention. Let the GFCI know you care about it and don't want to see it continue to go down this dark path.
LoneWolf is obviously part of the inner Circle.LoneWolf is obviously part of the inner Circle.LoneWolf is obviously part of the inner Circle.LoneWolf is obviously part of the inner Circle.LoneWolf is obviously part of the inner Circle.LoneWolf is obviously part of the inner Circle.LoneWolf is obviously part of the inner Circle.LoneWolf is obviously part of the inner Circle.LoneWolf is obviously part of the inner Circle.LoneWolf is obviously part of the inner Circle.LoneWolf is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:44 AM   #20
SuperChiefs

The easiest least expensive way to test is to swap out the gfci, or as others have suggested, let the mf'er burn. Either way it's so easy a caveman could do it.
FlaChief58 is obviously part of the inner Circle.FlaChief58 is obviously part of the inner Circle.FlaChief58 is obviously part of the inner Circle.FlaChief58 is obviously part of the inner Circle.FlaChief58 is obviously part of the inner Circle.FlaChief58 is obviously part of the inner Circle.FlaChief58 is obviously part of the inner Circle.FlaChief58 is obviously part of the inner Circle.FlaChief58 is obviously part of the inner Circle.FlaChief58 is obviously part of the inner Circle.FlaChief58 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old Today, 09:49 AM   #21
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IowaHawkeyeChief View Post
As others have said, it's either the GFI, a loose wire in the circuit in another outlet, or moisture getting in the outside areas. Since it happened with rain, it most likely is the latter.
I would also guess it's the outside outlet, especially since it's happening after a rain. Had the same problem with my garage one. The GFI was fine, but found the front porch outlet was the culprit.
CapsLockKey must have mowed badgirl's lawn.CapsLockKey must have mowed badgirl's lawn.CapsLockKey must have mowed badgirl's lawn.CapsLockKey must have mowed badgirl's lawn.CapsLockKey must have mowed badgirl's lawn.CapsLockKey must have mowed badgirl's lawn.CapsLockKey must have mowed badgirl's lawn.CapsLockKey must have mowed badgirl's lawn.CapsLockKey must have mowed badgirl's lawn.CapsLockKey must have mowed badgirl's lawn.CapsLockKey must have mowed badgirl's lawn.
Old Today, 09:50 AM   #22
Emporer of Mongo

you can replace yourself.

only difference between a gfci and a regular plug is the gfci has a "line" and a "load" side.

just mark which pairs are connected to line and which are connected to load if youre prone to have a few beers and forget after you take it apart
Ming the Merciless is obviously part of the inner Circle.Ming the Merciless is obviously part of the inner Circle.Ming the Merciless is obviously part of the inner Circle.Ming the Merciless is obviously part of the inner Circle.Ming the Merciless is obviously part of the inner Circle.Ming the Merciless is obviously part of the inner Circle.Ming the Merciless is obviously part of the inner Circle.Ming the Merciless is obviously part of the inner Circle.Ming the Merciless is obviously part of the inner Circle.Ming the Merciless is obviously part of the inner Circle.Ming the Merciless is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old Today, 09:53 AM
RedRaider56
This message has been deleted by RedRaider56.
Old Today, 09:56 AM   #23
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsLockKey View Post
I would also guess it's the outside outlet, especially since it's happening after a rain. Had the same problem with my garage one. The GFI was fine, but found the front porch outlet was the culprit.
Same, except it wasn't the outlet. Wife had plugged an outside extension cord into the outlet, but it had multiple plugs on it. Water got into one of those and kept tripping the outlet.
RedRaider56 threw an interception on a screen pass.RedRaider56 threw an interception on a screen pass.RedRaider56 threw an interception on a screen pass.RedRaider56 threw an interception on a screen pass.RedRaider56 threw an interception on a screen pass.RedRaider56 threw an interception on a screen pass.RedRaider56 threw an interception on a screen pass.RedRaider56 threw an interception on a screen pass.RedRaider56 threw an interception on a screen pass.RedRaider56 threw an interception on a screen pass.RedRaider56 threw an interception on a screen pass.
Old Today, 09:58 AM   #24
Supporter

Tripping?

Lzen is obviously part of the inner Circle.Lzen is obviously part of the inner Circle.Lzen is obviously part of the inner Circle.Lzen is obviously part of the inner Circle.Lzen is obviously part of the inner Circle.Lzen is obviously part of the inner Circle.Lzen is obviously part of the inner Circle.Lzen is obviously part of the inner Circle.Lzen is obviously part of the inner Circle.Lzen is obviously part of the inner Circle.Lzen is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old Today, 10:02 AM   #25
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ming the Merciless View Post

only difference between a gfci and a regular plug is the gfci has a "line" and a "load" side.

just mark which pairs are connected to line and which are connected to load if youre prone to have a few beers and forget after you take it apart
You might want to explain line and load to him.

I believe line is the wiring from the breaker box and load is any other outlets connected after the GFCI.
Lzen is obviously part of the inner Circle.Lzen is obviously part of the inner Circle.Lzen is obviously part of the inner Circle.Lzen is obviously part of the inner Circle.Lzen is obviously part of the inner Circle.Lzen is obviously part of the inner Circle.Lzen is obviously part of the inner Circle.Lzen is obviously part of the inner Circle.Lzen is obviously part of the inner Circle.Lzen is obviously part of the inner Circle.Lzen is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old Today, 10:02 AM   #26
Veteran

If you’re replacing it yourself, ALWAYS remember “black to brass to save your ass”

One terminal is brass and the other is silver.
Chief Pote would the whole thing.Chief Pote would the whole thing.Chief Pote would the whole thing.Chief Pote would the whole thing.Chief Pote would the whole thing.Chief Pote would the whole thing.Chief Pote would the whole thing.Chief Pote would the whole thing.Chief Pote would the whole thing.Chief Pote would the whole thing.Chief Pote would the whole thing.
Old Today, 10:08 AM   #27
Supporter

While we're getting advice:

I have an outside outlet under my deck that I replaced about a month ago. It had the old metal covers for the plugs but the outlet was just a standard one. I put in a GFCI outlet and a plastic outdoor cover over it. I just wanted to be safe since it was plugged into our above ground pool filter about 100ft away. The outlet has tripped about 4-5 times since first installing it. At first, I thought it was due to my son and his wife when they stayed overnight and had some stuff plugged into the load outlet in that basement bedroom. I unplugged those items after they left and I thought that took care of it but it has tripped about 3 more times since (total overall about 5).

I have some ideas but I haven't had a chance to thoroughly investigate. The outlet works fine when I reset it. Is this unusual for someone to put on a GFCI when the pool pump has it's own GFCI? Any other ideas?
Old Today, 10:11 AM   #28
MVP

There are likely other outlets protected by this GFCI. If you have a multimeter ohm them out just to make sure nothing is hot to ground or nuetral. If nothing else is the issue replace the GFCI. I'd probably replace the GFCI either way. If it is carrying other outlets make sure to put your wires back in the way they came out. they are particular about he line and load sides. I'm a mediocre electrician. Shoot me a Dm if I can help in any way.
Dunerdr is too fat/Omaha.Dunerdr is too fat/Omaha.Dunerdr is too fat/Omaha.Dunerdr is too fat/Omaha.Dunerdr is too fat/Omaha.Dunerdr is too fat/Omaha.Dunerdr is too fat/Omaha.Dunerdr is too fat/Omaha.Dunerdr is too fat/Omaha.Dunerdr is too fat/Omaha.Dunerdr is too fat/Omaha.
Old Today, 10:37 AM   #29
It was not a fair catch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molitoth View Post
If he is in MN, I suppose BLM/Walz could do that for him.
With the new Lt Gov taking over, my land will be taken away any time.

Ok. I am done.

I see the line/load thing on the GFI. I will do it tomorrow. After I take a pic of the old GFI.

Ran out of time today. The stuff that matters is going to other outlets in the house.
displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old Today, 10:49 AM   #30
Fight, build, win!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ming the Merciless View Post

If in doubt what wire went where get cell phone pics before you remove old.
srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.