Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Hall of Classics
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Old 01-09-2009, 03:32 PM  
Supporter

What would you do if your neighbor....

Ok, as some of you have heard me complain before, the neighbors who live behind me\across the street installed a 10ft lamppost in their front yard. It is excessively bright. I by that I mean it outshines the streetlights easily. The ligh illuminates the entire backside of my house meaning it shines right through my dining room window and bedroom window. I cannot sit on my deck when it is on as it is like having a light shined righ tin your face.

So, what I have done so far....I tolerated it and paid $500 to put in a tree to help block it. That does a meh job. So I thought oh well until....CHRISTMAS TIME! What is so special about CHRISTMAS TIME and the Lamp? I will tell you....

The people put exterior x-mas lights on their home and guess what...they had to turn off their light so they could be seen. Day after x-mas the light was back on in all of its blinding beauty.

So I finally looked up the code and found an "Unlawul Illumination" code that states basically your light cannot shine across your property line to the point it is a nuisance. So I filed a complaint with the city.

The city in turn said this is an exception to municiple code and they forwarded it to the Police. The Police contacted me and said they are waiting for the blessing from the city prosector to allow a citation. This is where it gets good...

If they do get the blessing, I of course have to sign a complaint and possibly appear in court to have the light dimmed or removed.

I am half willing to accept reimbursement for the $500 for the tree I put in, though that does me no good in the winter. The wife says I should let it go. My best friemd says "**** em' they should of thought about that when they put in the light".

So would you follow it all the way to court? Or am I being a bigger dick than usual?

Updated: Talked to him, asked him to either wait until 10:00 to turn it on or get a dimmer bulb.....light was off last night so he is being cool though I could tell by his town he wasn't happy about the purpose of my visit

Last edited by petegz28; 01-10-2009 at 10:53 PM..
petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 01-10-2009, 09:07 PM   #166
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by |Zach| View Post
Is the guys house the one with the red door? Or one of the houses that has their back to yours.
Yes, the red door is his house. The house with the big light in the front yard. And trust me, being serious as I can with you Zach, all bullshit aside, it is twice as bright as our streetlights ans personally I do not know how hos neighbords tolerate it.

All I know is when I sit down to dinner at my dining room table or on my deck it is like someone shining a bright flashlight right in your face.
petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 01-10-2009, 09:07 PM   #167
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by petegz28 View Post
Trust me, when it is dark it is all the more brighter...and right at eye level. I gave Oz a link if you want to look at it at night. Though my powershot sort of darkens everything.

Do you belong to a neighborhood association?
RJ Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.RJ Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.RJ Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.RJ Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.RJ Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.RJ Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.RJ Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.RJ Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.RJ Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.RJ Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.RJ Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.
Old 01-10-2009, 09:10 PM   #168
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ View Post
Do you belong to a neighborhood association?
If you want to call it that. I called the HA and they refuse to return my calls. My next door neighbor has had the same issues with the HA when he tried to report someone for I think having his boat in his driveway and blocking the sidewalk for like 6 months. They don't seem to want to enforce rules around here. We aren't supposed to have above ground pools, right? There are 5 of them in the edition. And one guy just took out two sections of his fence and I swear the 6th is going in.

I tried to be cool and byy a tree so this guy could have his light and me my serenity. Some think that is idiotic. I call it trying to be a good neighbor and make everyone happy.
Old 01-10-2009, 09:11 PM   #169
For The Glory Of The City

Quote:
Yes, the red door is his house. The house with the big light in the front yard. And trust me, being serious as I can with you Zach, all bullshit aside, it is twice as bright as our streetlights ans personally I do not know how hos neighbords tolerate it.

All I know is when I sit down to dinner at my dining room table or on my deck it is like someone shining a bright flashlight right in your face.
It doesn't help that there is a one house buffer between you and the light. As far as citation\action is concerned. Unless they have had an issue.
|Zach| is obviously part of the inner Circle.|Zach| is obviously part of the inner Circle.|Zach| is obviously part of the inner Circle.|Zach| is obviously part of the inner Circle.|Zach| is obviously part of the inner Circle.|Zach| is obviously part of the inner Circle.|Zach| is obviously part of the inner Circle.|Zach| is obviously part of the inner Circle.|Zach| is obviously part of the inner Circle.|Zach| is obviously part of the inner Circle.|Zach| is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 01-10-2009, 09:12 PM   #170
Supporter

Quote:
It doesn't help that there is a one house buffer between you and the light. As far as citation\action is concerned. Unless they have had an issue.
Unfortunatly for me, I am the only house that has it hitting the windows. The other house it hits the backside of is on the opposite side of his dining room and bedroom. Though I know what you are saying. And most cities around here do not have an illumination law, so maybe they were too nice or whatever. I waited to see if they did complain. But when this guy cut his light so his x-mas lights would show and then cranked it back on, it sort of pushed the final nerve with me.

As far as the buffer goes..there isn't one between me and the light...as the pic shows you. That picture is from my deck. It is a straight shot between me and the light. All someone has to do is walk in my backyard at night with that thing on and they can see that it lights up the entire backside of me house. It belongs in a parking lot. If it were half the size and\or half as bright it would actually be pretty cool.
Old 01-10-2009, 09:15 PM   #171
Quit your bullshit

Quote:
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=188997

But can you see it is every bit as bright as the full moon
Let's round up a posse and kick his ass...or write him a letter. This can not stand.

The damned light is as bright as the full moon. I don't know how many of you have ever seen a full moon in Olathe, but let me tell you, if you aren't wearing sunblock you're in for the burn of your life.

I know I can't enjoy a few drinks on my deck on a night when the moon is out. It's like staring into the center of the sun.

We've got to make an example of this son of a bitch. Who does he think he is?

...wait...he did exactly what Petegz asked him? Well, he still shouldn't be dating white women. Let's burn a cross on his yard anyway.
Saul Good is obviously part of the inner Circle.Saul Good is obviously part of the inner Circle.Saul Good is obviously part of the inner Circle.Saul Good is obviously part of the inner Circle.Saul Good is obviously part of the inner Circle.Saul Good is obviously part of the inner Circle.Saul Good is obviously part of the inner Circle.Saul Good is obviously part of the inner Circle.Saul Good is obviously part of the inner Circle.Saul Good is obviously part of the inner Circle.Saul Good is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 01-10-2009, 09:17 PM   #172
Supporter

Here is same house with same camera with same added darkness from said same camera..

The lights on the bottom one are his regular porch and one of his garage lights. Again, this camera does me no justice but at least you can see the difference in brightness
Attached Images
File Type: jpg misclight.jpg (9.9 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg misc 001.jpg (8.9 KB, 105 views)
Old 01-10-2009, 09:18 PM   #173
Quit your bullshit

Quote:
As far as the buffer goes..there isn't one between me and the light...as the pic shows you. That picture is from my deck.
That must suck for you. The rest of the homeowners in Olathe are out enjoying their decks at night in January. Sorry, dude.
Saul Good is obviously part of the inner Circle.Saul Good is obviously part of the inner Circle.Saul Good is obviously part of the inner Circle.Saul Good is obviously part of the inner Circle.Saul Good is obviously part of the inner Circle.Saul Good is obviously part of the inner Circle.Saul Good is obviously part of the inner Circle.Saul Good is obviously part of the inner Circle.Saul Good is obviously part of the inner Circle.Saul Good is obviously part of the inner Circle.Saul Good is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 01-10-2009, 09:19 PM   #174
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saul Good View Post
Let's round up a posse and kick his ass...or write him a letter. This can not stand.

The damned light is as bright as the full moon. I don't know how many of you have ever seen a full moon in Olathe, but let me tell you, if you aren't wearing sunblock you're in for the burn of your life.

I know I can't enjoy a few drinks on my deck on a night when the moon is out. It's like staring into the center of the sun.

We've got to make an example of this son of a bitch. Who does he think he is?

...wait...he did exactly what Petegz asked him? Well, he still shouldn't be dating white women. Let's burn a cross on his yard anyway.
I am glad to see I am not the only asshole in this thread.
Old 01-10-2009, 09:19 PM   #175
Supporter

Quote:
That must suck for you. The rest of the homeowners in Olathe are out enjoying their decks at night in January. Sorry, dude.
**** off already.
Old 01-10-2009, 09:21 PM   #176
For The Glory Of The City

Quote:
Unfortunatly for me, I am the only house that has it hitting the windows. The other house it hits the backside of is on the opposite side of his dining room and bedroom. Though I know what you are saying. And most cities around here do not have an illumination law, so maybe they were too nice or whatever. I waited to see if they did complain. But when this guy cut his light so his x-mas lights would show and then cranked it back on, it sort of pushed the final nerve with me.

As far as the buffer goes..there isn't one between me and the light...as the pic shows you. That picture is from my deck. It is a straight shot between me and the light. All someone has to do is walk in my backyard at night with that thing on and they can see that it lights up the entire backside of me house. It belongs in a parking lot. If it were half the size and\or half as bright it would actually be pretty cool.
What I am saying is... regardless of the straight line it has to your back yard? If it was as big of a nuisance as you seem to think it is...there is no way the people in front of you wouldn't feel the same way.
|Zach| is obviously part of the inner Circle.|Zach| is obviously part of the inner Circle.|Zach| is obviously part of the inner Circle.|Zach| is obviously part of the inner Circle.|Zach| is obviously part of the inner Circle.|Zach| is obviously part of the inner Circle.|Zach| is obviously part of the inner Circle.|Zach| is obviously part of the inner Circle.|Zach| is obviously part of the inner Circle.|Zach| is obviously part of the inner Circle.|Zach| is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 01-10-2009, 09:24 PM   #177
Quit your bullshit

I just checked the thread you linked earlier. You've been bitching about this light for 5 months, and you finally built up the nerve to ask the guy to turn it off at night. You built up these scenarios in your mind about how it would go down. You referred to this type of "confrontation" as a death sentence. You started multiple threads on a FOOTBALL MESSAGE BOARD about it. You contacted the city about it. You spent $500 on a tree. You wrote a letter.

Finally, after 5 months, you took a healthy pull from your Zima, puffed out your little chest, marched over to that big, scary, black man's house and asked him if he would turn off that light at night...and he said okay and has made good on his word.

This is what makes the internet great.
Old 01-10-2009, 09:25 PM   #178
Supporter

Quote:
What I am saying is... regardless of the straight line it has to your back yard? If it was as big of a nuisance as you seem to think it is...there is no way the people in front of you wouldn't feel the same way.
Who says they don't? You are just assuming they aren't pissed but not saying anything. And frankly, what do I care about them? I paid to live here, I have a right to not be blinded by their BS light they put in. Can't help it if they never said anything. Then again for all we know they are thanking me under their breath.

Also the houses that face them have their dining room and decks and bedroom in the back where the light does not hit them.
Old 01-10-2009, 09:26 PM   #179
Supporter

Quote:
I just checked the thread you linked earlier. You've been bitching about this light for 5 months, and you finally built up the nerve to ask the guy to turn it off at night. You built up these scenarios in your mind about how it would go down. You referred to this type of "confrontation" as a death sentence. You started multiple threads on a FOOTBALL MESSAGE BOARD about it. You contacted the city about it. You spent $500 on a tree. You wrote a letter.

Finally, after 5 months, you took a healthy pull from your Zima, puffed out your little chest, marched over to that big, scary, black man's house and asked him if he would turn off that light at night...and he said okay and has made good on his word.

This is what makes the internet great.

No dumb ****, I never did send him a letter. I spent $500 as I said you ignorant ass, to try and block it so we could both have what we wanted. **** off dude, you don't live here, you have no clue of what you are talking about and you are just being a dick to be a dick.
Old 01-10-2009, 09:30 PM   #180
Quit your bullshit

Quote:
No dumb ****, I never did send him a letter. I spent $500 as I said you ignorant ass, to try and block it so we could both have what we wanted. **** off dude, you don't live here, you have no clue of what you are talking about and you are just being a dick to be a dick.
I didn't say you sent a letter. I said you wrote a letter. The fact that you didn't send it makes it that much funnier. I would bet everything I own that you had the conversation with this guy in your mind a hundred times before you went over there, and you never said 99% of the things you planned to say because you made a mountain out of a molehill.

Some guys are just destined to go through life as beta males, I guess.