Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Old 09-08-2004, 06:27 PM  
Feloniously Restrained

I NEED HELP!!! ARRGHHH!

I was in a home improvement mood today when I went to Lowes. I purchased, among other things, a new doorbell button. My previous doorbell button had actually fallen out, but you could still push the springs and the thing would ring.

Well, when I unscrewed the old button unit, I carefully took note that there were four wires, red, black, green, and yellow, however, only the black and red wires were hooked to the old unit. One on each side.

So, when I installed the new unit, of course it doesn't work.
Now I am wondering what I did wrong. Any ideas?
Jenny Gump is not part of the Right 53.Jenny Gump is not part of the Right 53.Jenny Gump is not part of the Right 53.Jenny Gump is not part of the Right 53.Jenny Gump is not part of the Right 53.Jenny Gump is not part of the Right 53.Jenny Gump is not part of the Right 53.Jenny Gump is not part of the Right 53.Jenny Gump is not part of the Right 53.Jenny Gump is not part of the Right 53.Jenny Gump is not part of the Right 53.
Old 09-08-2004, 06:32 PM   #2
Supporter

The problem , no doubt, is related to the fact that you are a woman. Women can't fix things. Touch the wires together in different combinations until the bell rings. Then attach those wires to the new doorbell. I'm sensing a Kodak moment.
Skip Towne is not part of the Right 53.Skip Towne is not part of the Right 53.Skip Towne is not part of the Right 53.Skip Towne is not part of the Right 53.Skip Towne is not part of the Right 53.Skip Towne is not part of the Right 53.Skip Towne is not part of the Right 53.Skip Towne is not part of the Right 53.Skip Towne is not part of the Right 53.Skip Towne is not part of the Right 53.Skip Towne is not part of the Right 53.
Old 09-08-2004, 06:33 PM   #3
Phobia

Forget which wires you think were hooked up to the old doorbell.

Take each wire from the 4 and touch the bare portion to every other wire.

When the doorbell starts chiming, you've found your 2 wires. Ignore the other two. Hook it up to your new doorbell and test it. A doorbell is an open circuit. When you push the button, you're closing the circuit.

Easiest thing in the world.
Old 09-08-2004, 06:35 PM   #4
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennyGump
I was in a home improvement mood today when I went to Lowes. I purchased, among other things, a new doorbell button. My previous doorbell button had actually fallen out, but you could still push the springs and the thing would ring.

Well, when I unscrewed the old button unit, I carefully took note that there were four wires, red, black, green, and yellow, however, only the black and red wires were hooked to the old unit. One on each side.

1. How many wires come out of the house itself?
2. What do the instructions for the new button say each wire on it corresponds to?

I'm guessing that, if you have four wires on the new button, it probably lights up.
Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 09-08-2004, 06:36 PM   #5
Feloniously Restrained

You know what? Screw you. My car also broke down in the middle of 5:00 traffic on a busy street today. My brake caliper bolt broke, and my car "locked up". I have had a crappy, crappy, day. The only thing you have to worry about is who is going to pull up your TED hose (medical types will appreciate that one). I am a brave independent woman who isn't afraid to take on the world!

(realizing I truly need a man around occasionally, I am shutting up now)
Jenny Gump is not part of the Right 53.Jenny Gump is not part of the Right 53.Jenny Gump is not part of the Right 53.Jenny Gump is not part of the Right 53.Jenny Gump is not part of the Right 53.Jenny Gump is not part of the Right 53.Jenny Gump is not part of the Right 53.Jenny Gump is not part of the Right 53.Jenny Gump is not part of the Right 53.Jenny Gump is not part of the Right 53.Jenny Gump is not part of the Right 53.
Old 09-08-2004, 06:37 PM   #6
Feloniously Restrained

Quote:
You know what? Screw you. My car also broke down in the middle of 5:00 traffic on a busy street today. My brake caliper bolt broke, and my car "locked up". I have had a crappy, crappy, day. The only thing you have to worry about is who is going to pull up your TED hose (medical types will appreciate that one). I am a brave independent woman who isn't afraid to take on the world!

(realizing I truly need a man around occasionally, I am shutting up now)
Oh, and I should clarify, this is aimed at Skip for his sexist remark.
Old 09-08-2004, 06:39 PM
ENDelt260
This message has been deleted by ENDelt260.
Old 09-08-2004, 06:39 PM   #7
Genious

Joke about pushing Jenny's button in

5... 4.... 3...
KC Jones has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.KC Jones has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.KC Jones has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.KC Jones has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.KC Jones has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.KC Jones has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.KC Jones has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.KC Jones has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.KC Jones has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.KC Jones has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.KC Jones has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.
Old 09-08-2004, 06:42 PM   #8
Supporter

Quote:
Oh, and I should clarify, this is aimed at Skip for his sexist remark.
Who me? Why don't you leave the doorbell alone? I'll just knock.
Skip Towne is not part of the Right 53.Skip Towne is not part of the Right 53.Skip Towne is not part of the Right 53.Skip Towne is not part of the Right 53.Skip Towne is not part of the Right 53.Skip Towne is not part of the Right 53.Skip Towne is not part of the Right 53.Skip Towne is not part of the Right 53.Skip Towne is not part of the Right 53.Skip Towne is not part of the Right 53.Skip Towne is not part of the Right 53.
Old 09-08-2004, 06:42 PM   #9
Genious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phobia
Forget which wires you think were hooked up to the old doorbell.

When the doorbell starts chiming, you've found your 2 wires. Ignore the other two. Hook it up to your new doorbell and test it. A doorbell is an open circuit. When you push the button, you're closing the circuit.

As a backup plan if you get nothing from the wires buy a battery powered wireless doorbell.
KC Jones has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.KC Jones has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.KC Jones has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.KC Jones has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.KC Jones has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.KC Jones has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.KC Jones has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.KC Jones has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.KC Jones has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.KC Jones has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.KC Jones has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.
Old 09-08-2004, 06:42 PM   #10
"Think BOOM!"

Quote:

Unless I'm missing something, you got the two wires (red and black) backwards. Reverse them.

And, as a good rule of thumb, ALWAYS make a diagram (or take a digital picture) of the existing wire connections before removing them.

We've all done it, Jenny. At least you weren't working on 120 AC and got them backwards. I have, many times, and it was rather shocking.
Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 09-08-2004, 06:44 PM   #11
Feloniously Restrained

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phobia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Lee
1. How many wires come out of the house itself?
2. What do the instructions for the new button say each wire on it corresponds to?

I'm guessing that, if you have four wires on the new button, it probably lights up
Well...none of the wires make the damn thing chime now. So who knows. Another project gone awry. Doesn't surprise me at all.

I also recaulked my bathroom shower unit today. That's another story in itself.

I am going to go shoot myself now.
Old 09-08-2004, 06:44 PM   #12
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENDelt260
What the hell? We're gonna get blasted for sexist remarks around here now?

For that matter, who gave the woman permission to talk in the first place?
Hahahahaha. Good one.
Old 09-08-2004, 06:45 PM   #13
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donger
Unless I'm missing something, you got the two wires (red and black) backwards. Reverse them.

And, as a good rule of thumb, ALWAYS make a diagram (or take a digital picture) of the existing wire connections before removing them.

We've all done it, Jenny. At least you weren't working on 120 AC and got them backwards. I have, many times, and it was rather shocking.
If pushing the button did nothing, then reversing them will probably do nothing either. As Phobes said, the button is most likely a ground interrupt, which is non-directional.
Find out what's coming out of the house and what the wires on your new unit correspond to, and report back.
Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 09-08-2004, 06:47 PM   #14
Supporter

Quote:
Well...none of the wires make the damn thing chime now. So who knows. Another project gone awry. Doesn't surprise me at all.

I also recaulked my bathroom shower unit today. That's another story in itself.

You'll prolly screw that up too.
Old 09-08-2004, 06:48 PM   #15
Supporter

Quote:
Well...none of the wires make the damn thing chime now. . .
First off, don't shoot yourself.

Second off, if no combo makes it ring, before you throw everything in the trash, first make sure you didn't touch the wires together when disassembling the old button, and blew the fuse.