Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Old 04-28-2024, 01:48 AM  
I got Rice cookin in the micro

What year did football become bigger than Baseball

?
Demonpenz is obviously part of the inner Circle.Demonpenz is obviously part of the inner Circle.Demonpenz is obviously part of the inner Circle.Demonpenz is obviously part of the inner Circle.Demonpenz is obviously part of the inner Circle.Demonpenz is obviously part of the inner Circle.Demonpenz is obviously part of the inner Circle.Demonpenz is obviously part of the inner Circle.Demonpenz is obviously part of the inner Circle.Demonpenz is obviously part of the inner Circle.Demonpenz is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-28-2024, 10:16 AM   #46
Sometimes it's black and white

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaMan88 View Post
Joe Namath/Super Bowl III.
I guess maybe?

I tried a quick search to see if that really changed popularity but couldn't find much.
Chief Pagan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Chief Pagan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Chief Pagan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Chief Pagan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Chief Pagan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Chief Pagan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Chief Pagan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Chief Pagan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Chief Pagan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Chief Pagan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Chief Pagan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.
Old 04-28-2024, 10:52 AM   #47
"You like to drink?"

I'd guess somewhere in the 70s where college and the pro-game became a bigger pull on the public consciousness.
Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-28-2024, 11:20 AM   #48
MVP

Major league ownership has really failed the sport imo. You have the easiest sport to put a kid in. It takes talent yea, but any kid can go hit off a tee and get involved. Football on the other hand gives kids one good hit and that scrawny kid whose hearts not in it is never coming back. Every kid should grow up playing a little baseball and be a fan to an extent. Baseball kids get to play 2-3 games a week. Football kids practice 3-4 times and play 8-12 games a year.

My son loves playing baseball he’s a 10 year old playing up in 12u. He wants to play fall ball and quit football then try out for a traveling team. But he runs home from practice and games and turns on YouTube to watch NFL programming. For the same reason he hates playing football barely any games played, he loves the NFL because every game matters. You can’t get him to watch anything about baseball let alone a game on tv (like there’s any of those available without a subscription).

Baseballs getting overtaken by soccer at least where I’m at. And it’s baseballs fault.
Dunerdr is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Dunerdr is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Dunerdr is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Dunerdr is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Dunerdr is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Dunerdr is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Dunerdr is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Dunerdr is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Dunerdr is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Dunerdr is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Dunerdr is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2024, 11:35 AM   #49
Rock Chalk Jayhawk

I think on a national scale 94 is the right answer.

For me baseball was biggest for me when I was a kid because the Royals were really good and had won a World Series. In fact that's when I started following sports. Marty ball is what started pulling me closer to football.
DJay23 would the whole thing.DJay23 would the whole thing.DJay23 would the whole thing.DJay23 would the whole thing.DJay23 would the whole thing.DJay23 would the whole thing.DJay23 would the whole thing.DJay23 would the whole thing.DJay23 would the whole thing.DJay23 would the whole thing.DJay23 would the whole thing.
Old 04-28-2024, 12:35 PM   #50
Admitted Planet Junky

The last MLB strike. I think that is either 1994 or 1995.
Chief Roundup has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Chief Roundup has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Chief Roundup has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Chief Roundup has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Chief Roundup has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Chief Roundup has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Chief Roundup has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Chief Roundup has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Chief Roundup has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Chief Roundup has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Chief Roundup has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.
Old 04-28-2024, 12:37 PM   #51
**** That Noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demonpenz View Post
?
I’m guessing when people started growing brains.
RustShack 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliRustShack 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliRustShack 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliRustShack 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliRustShack 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliRustShack 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliRustShack 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliRustShack 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliRustShack 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliRustShack 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliRustShack 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitelli
Old 04-28-2024, 01:04 PM   #52
Facts are stubborn things.

Baseball has been a regional sport my entire life (I’m 47) but perception changes much slower relative to reality. Once upon a time there were baseball towns but even in StL football has been king for a long time. Football has been king for probably about as long as pro football has been more popular than college and its rise can be linked IMO to increased tv coverage and Americans access to it - baseball as stated ITT was made for radio. The survey linked at the beg of this thread by someone shows 1972 as a line of demarcation which makes sense when you consider the growth of televisions in US households throughout the 1960s.
warpaint* is too fat/Omaha.warpaint* is too fat/Omaha.warpaint* is too fat/Omaha.warpaint* is too fat/Omaha.warpaint* is too fat/Omaha.warpaint* is too fat/Omaha.warpaint* is too fat/Omaha.warpaint* is too fat/Omaha.warpaint* is too fat/Omaha.warpaint* is too fat/Omaha.warpaint* is too fat/Omaha.
Old 04-28-2024, 01:09 PM   #53
I Like The Kansas City Chiefs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedChief View Post
l think the McGuire/Sosa home run race saved baseball. It became a national story way beyond baseball fans. The fans came back the next year in their normal sizes/

Then the steroids scandals hit and football went to another level and "America's Game" was now football.
I agree with this.

MLB “felt” very important in the late 90’s. Those Yankees teams were a big ****ing deal.

But the Steroid Era and everything that followed really took the shine off the league.

It was sorta the equivalent of the Tour de France and Lance Armstrong. Normal people actually watched cycling back then. Then the scandal hit, and it never “felt” the same.
smithandrew051 is obviously part of the inner Circle.smithandrew051 is obviously part of the inner Circle.smithandrew051 is obviously part of the inner Circle.smithandrew051 is obviously part of the inner Circle.smithandrew051 is obviously part of the inner Circle.smithandrew051 is obviously part of the inner Circle.smithandrew051 is obviously part of the inner Circle.smithandrew051 is obviously part of the inner Circle.smithandrew051 is obviously part of the inner Circle.smithandrew051 is obviously part of the inner Circle.smithandrew051 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-28-2024, 01:22 PM   #54
pie is never free

For me, it all started in 1971... baseball bores the bejesus outta me
Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-28-2024, 01:27 PM   #55
Suupraa Geniuuusss

For myself, Ripken breaking the record saved baseball in my heart. At least until pretty recently. Until that moment, you could’ve razed every ballpark to the ground and I wouldn’t have cared.
Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-28-2024, 01:31 PM   #56
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhawhaWhat View Post
The MLB owners are monumentally stupid. The exclusive cable deals where 50% or more the fans couldn't watch games any more, the steroids that they allowed to prop up attendance and then pretended to be against later and the payrolls that are so far apart that half the league barely competes.

They've done everything they can over the past 30+ years to suffocate the fan support.
That was it for me. I was an avid Royals fan, now I haven't seen a game of theirs in over 3 years and don't care.
HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-28-2024, 01:53 PM   #57
Champion Golfer Of The Year

Nothing better than the radio and a patio on a summer evening. I grew up on Buddy Blattner/Denny Matthews and then Fred White and Denny Matthews on radio. Al Wisk and Denny Trease on TV when it was long before these MLB cable **** ups.

Then they hired Bob Davis and he was just kinda okay but also kinda terrible.

Still the #1 game in my heart. I lived and breathed it as a kid. Watched all those episodes of This Week In Baseball with the show's theme music on my phone during the season.
WilliamTheIrish has disabled reputation
Thumbs Up 2 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2024, 02:00 PM   #58
Sometimes it's black and white

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunerdr View Post
Major league ownership has really failed the sport imo. You have the easiest sport to put a kid in. It takes talent yea, but any kid can go hit off a tee and get involved. Football on the other hand gives kids one good hit and that scrawny kid whose hearts not in it is never coming back. Every kid should grow up playing a little baseball and be a fan to an extent. Baseball kids get to play 2-3 games a week. Football kids practice 3-4 times and play 8-12 games a year.

My son loves playing baseball he’s a 10 year old playing up in 12u. He wants to play fall ball and quit football then try out for a traveling team. But he runs home from practice and games and turns on YouTube to watch NFL programming. For the same reason he hates playing football barely any games played, he loves the NFL because every game matters. You can’t get him to watch anything about baseball let alone a game on tv (like there’s any of those available without a subscription).

Baseballs getting overtaken by soccer at least where I’m at. And it’s baseballs fault.
Soccer is easier.

Run after ball, try to kick it that way.

I played soccer and first base softball as a little kid. Little kids can't throw accurately to first base.

I played soccer as a kid, but that never created a desire on my part to watch soccer. Soccer just isn't that interesting as a spectator sport.

I never played football, but yeah, I always found it interesting to watch.
Chief Pagan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Chief Pagan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Chief Pagan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Chief Pagan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Chief Pagan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Chief Pagan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Chief Pagan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Chief Pagan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Chief Pagan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Chief Pagan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Chief Pagan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.
Thumbs Up 2 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2024, 02:36 PM   #59
MVP

Probably 1960’s or early 1970’s. Wikipedia says the biggest World Series TV rating was 1978 and 1980, both of them around 42-44 million American viewers. By comparison, the Super Bowl made it above 75 million American viewers during this time period.
DRM08 wants to die in a aids tree fire.DRM08 wants to die in a aids tree fire.DRM08 wants to die in a aids tree fire.DRM08 wants to die in a aids tree fire.DRM08 wants to die in a aids tree fire.DRM08 wants to die in a aids tree fire.DRM08 wants to die in a aids tree fire.DRM08 wants to die in a aids tree fire.DRM08 wants to die in a aids tree fire.DRM08 wants to die in a aids tree fire.DRM08 wants to die in a aids tree fire.
Old 04-28-2024, 04:20 PM   #60
The Insider

Way more parity in baseball than the NFL especially when it comes to championships. But facts don't matter to CP. 8 different champions in the last 9 years. In NFL, Brady and Mahomes have 6 of the 9 Super Bowl wins. In the NBA, LeBron and Curry have 6 of the 9 NBA Finals wins.

Royals have the same number of World Series wins in the last 40 years as the Dodgers, Cardinals, and Braves. Yankees haven't been to the World Series since 2009.
ChiefsCountry is obviously part of the inner Circle.ChiefsCountry is obviously part of the inner Circle.ChiefsCountry is obviously part of the inner Circle.ChiefsCountry is obviously part of the inner Circle.ChiefsCountry is obviously part of the inner Circle.ChiefsCountry is obviously part of the inner Circle.ChiefsCountry is obviously part of the inner Circle.ChiefsCountry is obviously part of the inner Circle.ChiefsCountry is obviously part of the inner Circle.ChiefsCountry is obviously part of the inner Circle.ChiefsCountry is obviously part of the inner Circle.