Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room > Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Old 01-03-2024, 12:05 PM  
M-I-Z-Z-O-U

Duncan Idaho's Compendium of Comprehensive Offseason Plans

Offseason Plan: Version 5.0

Now with more Chris Jones, for sure, and an understanding of his contract. And Drue Tranquill on contract.

Cut
WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling
DE Charles Omenihu (last time, I said this stunk. Hearing him saying today that he thinks he should be paid like the guys in the tier right behind Nick Bosa makes it a pretty no-brainer. He clearly isn’t in a spot to do a small extension. So cut him loose.)

Extend
S Justin Reid (4/$49M – I stick to the restructure of Reid in this run. He’s just so solid and good and reliable, and the secondary still needs a veteran leader.)

Tag and Trade
CB L’Jarius Sneed (this time, I send him to the Vikings for #42 because that’s fun)

Trade
WR Kadarius Toney (2025 conditional 6th)

Let Walk
Mike Edwards
Derrick Nnadi
Willie Gay
Jerick McKinnon
Clyde Edwards-Helaire
Blake Bell
Richie James
Deon Bush
Tommy Townsend (we don’t need him any more, we have the Dolphin)
Jody Fortson
Prince Tega-Wanogho

Re-Sign
Tershawn Wharton (3 years, $9.5M – The DT room is thin even with Jones back, and watching the SB we really saw what I thought was Wharton’s best game. I like having a DT with that burst and speed, and he has clearly gotten much stronger, and he is athletic enough to run some DE snaps in a pinch)
James Winchester (minimal deal)
Malik Herring (ERFA tender)
Jack Cochrane (ERFA tender)
Nazeeh Johnson (ERFA tender)
Mike Caliendo (ERFA tender)

FA Moves
QB Trevor Siemian (1/$1.7M – veteran QB)
DE Yetur Gross-Matos (1/$1.6M – just seems like a good bet for KC as a Spags-type DE who is a Veach reclamation attempt special to boot)
OT Yosh Nijman (2/$12.3M – I just am not comfortable going into the draft with only Wanya Morris and a rookie at LT. Nijman provides a little veteran depth with some upside).

With these deals done, I’m still sitting on about $22M of cap space without restructuring Mahomes at all. I’ve added draft capital and addressed LT insurance/depth with a vet I think can be at least AVERAGE at LT.

I still dive back in at this point for WR Darnell Mooney at 1/$8M , with incentives up to $12M. That still leaves me about $15M in cap space, which I could use to sign draft picks and hunt for June 1 cuts/late FA bargains. I’m tempted to go get Teair Tartt in this cycle but hold off.

Getting into the season without touching Mahomes deal at ALL is going to really help with flexibility in 2025, when it’s going to be needed due to the Jones situation being added to the books.

Draft
Needs based on plan so far:
As before, we’re still looking at a pretty set roster that doesn’t have any glaring needs but needs to invest at DT, WR, and LT.

Simulator used: NFL Mock Draft Database (best aggregated big board at this point)

1.32: Kingsley Suamataia, LT, BYU. Suamataia needs seasoning, but his upside is high and he checks the size, arm length, and athleticism boxes to be a good long-term LT for the Chiefs.

2.42: Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan. This might be high
OK, this might be a bit of a reach. But Wilson is someone I haven’t mocked to KC before and I do think his speed, explosiveness, and ability to make cuts at top speed make him a good fit for KC’s offense. With Mooney only signed for one year, Wilson would be on hand with experience under his belt for 2025 and beyond for that role.

Also considered: Xavier Legette, WR, South Carolina. I probably would go here like I did in my last mock, but I wanted to switch it up.

2.64 Sedrick Van Pran, IOL, Georgia. Here’s a new one. I considered dipping for another WR here (hothead Jermain Burton!) but instead stick on the OL. The Jones decision is going to come with consequences on other players, and I may need to account for them. Van Pran can be a stud C or a good G. If Humphrey walks, you’re covered. If Smith walks, you’re covered. If they cut Thuney to keep Smith and Humphrey, you’re covered. If they need to move Humphrey off C because of Snaps, you’re covered.

3.95 McKinnley Jackson, DT, Texas A&M Big bulky dude to help replace Nnadi.

4.131 Brenden Rice, WR, USC. His 40 at the combine was a disappointment, but I still like his size and ability to work the scramble drill. Great bloodlines, great work ethic, and I think he’s faster than his 40.

5.158 Deantre Prince, CB, Ole Miss. I missed on the round 2 and round 3 CB values/fits. His size/speed/athletic profile tracks with the Day 3 gems the Chiefs have been finding. Let’s keep it rolling.

5.172 Isaac Guerendo, RB, Louisville. I am not first to the Guerendo train, but I’m on it. Size/speed combo is great. I doubt he actually makes it here, though.

7.250 Gabe Hall, DT, Baylor. I like Hall’s size and athletic ability. Seemed worthwhile for a Day 3 stab.

Wrapping it up

This will be my last offseason exercise. I’m pretty stoked about where KC lands in this, honestly.

Two-deep (Re-signed,FA adds, rookies)

(2) QB: Mahomes/Siemian
(3) RB: Pacheco/Guerendo/Prince
(6) WR: Rice, Mooney, Wilson/ Watson, Rice, Moore
(3) TE: Kelce/Gray/min contract vet

(2) OT: Nijman/Suamataia

(2) OG: Thuney/Morris
(1) C: Humphrey/Van Pran
(2) RG: Smith/Caliendo
(2) RT: Taylor/Morris

(6) DE: Karlaftis, Anudike-Uzomah, Gross-Matos, Harring, Thompsonsmall contract vet
(5) DT: Jones,Wharton,Farrell, Jackson ,Hall

(5) LB: Bolton, Tranquill, Chenal, Cochrane, Jones

(6) CB: McDuffie, Williams, Watson, Johnson, Jones, Prince
(4) S: Reid, Cook, Conner, inexpensive vet, probably Deon Bush

(1) LS: Winchester
(1) K: Butker
(1) P: The Dolphin

That leaves 1 spot floating if my count is right, probably goes to depth at OL or maybe another DB who is a special teams asset.

The defense still is built around Chris Jones and I know that DE room is going to make some people nervous. I’d be looking for some training camp cuts/late FA additions to beef that spot up some more. The LB corps is still a strong one (and still one of the better ones in the NFL, if not quite as versatile in base with Willie Gay presumably making a lot of money elsewhere), and the secondary is still a strength (probably a little stronger at S in 24 than it was in 23, with Reid, Conner, and Cook, but obviously turning things over at CB).

I’d feel good about the chances for a 3-peat with this one, and I think KC would be the preseason favorite in this run. Defense is still strong, offense got a bunch of help.

Looking ahead to 25, I haven’t addressed Bolton-Humphrey-Smith. In light of the Jones signing and structure, I don’t think they can keep 2 any more. Might just be one… and maybe neither of the OL.

Offseason Plan: Version 4.0
Spoiler!

Offseason Plan: Version 3.0

Spoiler!
Spoiler!

Offseason Plan: Version 2.0

Spoiler!

Offseason Plan: Version 1.0
Spoiler!

Last edited by duncan_idaho; 03-11-2024 at 10:19 AM..
duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 01-05-2024, 01:25 PM   #31
MVP

I kind of hope they throw down a little scratch and keep Mike Danna
raybec 4 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.raybec 4 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.raybec 4 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.raybec 4 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.raybec 4 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.raybec 4 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.raybec 4 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.raybec 4 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.raybec 4 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.raybec 4 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.raybec 4 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.
Old 01-05-2024, 01:57 PM   #32
Supporter

I think if the money is the same I keep Bolton and let Gay walk.

If Tranquil remains cheap there is value there.

Hopefully there is some wizardry that we can do to keep all 3, but that's probably not going to happen. Hopefully Chenal is ready to break fools.
Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 01-05-2024, 02:45 PM   #33
sorta mod-ish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buehler445 View Post

Hopefully there is some wizardry that we can do to keep all 3, but that's probably not going to happen. Hopefully Chenal is ready to break fools.

A little Leo hype for you
Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2024, 02:53 PM   #34
Veteran

Quote:

yeah, its probably not possible but I would love to run back this same LB crew....
They seem to have something special going
poolboy would the whole thing.poolboy would the whole thing.poolboy would the whole thing.poolboy would the whole thing.poolboy would the whole thing.poolboy would the whole thing.poolboy would the whole thing.poolboy would the whole thing.poolboy would the whole thing.poolboy would the whole thing.poolboy would the whole thing.
Old 01-05-2024, 04:52 PM   #35
Sauntering Vaguely Downwards

Quote:

I keep waiting for a light bulb to come on for Gay and for him to turn into some all-world monster.

Because the flashes he shows are things that maybe literally NOBODY in the NFL can do. I mean he's a truly unique physical talent.

But he's just always been kinda dumb.

But what gets slept on with him is the energy level. I don't care about that all that much for offensive players, but on defense I want SOMEONE who plays with his hair on fire. It was always, IMO, what prevented DJ from being the annual All-Pro his physical skills said he could be. He was just so cerebral, for good and bad. He was always thinking his way through plays.

And sometimes you kinda want someone that's just looking to hurt someone out there. That's looking to fly into an area and make a play. That's able to make a mistake and 2 plays later have a giant shit-eating grin on his face and slapping his teammates on the ass for something they did.

That guy is pretty important to the defensive psyche, IMO.

So while the question will naturally be Gay or Tranquil - they just bring such different things that I don't think that's the right question. I think it's Tranquil or Bolton. And with Gay, it's just a question of money. Keep Tranquil or don't - it's immaterial to the Gay decision, IMO.

If you can afford to retain him, you do it. If you can't - well damn. But whether Tranquil is here or he isn't, I don't think that calculus changes substantially apart from the cap space we have available to us. And I think you DEFINITELY close the door on Gay before you use that cap space on Tranquil.
DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 01-05-2024, 07:20 PM   #36
MVP

Can someone please help me understand the Marquise Brown love? In five NFL seasons, he has been healthy for two, barely cracked a thousand yards once. I get that he can make some big plays, but is <1 big play per game average really worth 4/70? Especially when MVS has a similar number of big plays in fewer receptions each year?

I guess I just struggle to get enthusiastic about Brown, and I don't really see where everyone's hype comes from.
Nightfyre has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Nightfyre has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Nightfyre has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Nightfyre has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Nightfyre has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Nightfyre has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Nightfyre has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Nightfyre has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Nightfyre has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Nightfyre has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Nightfyre has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.
Old 01-05-2024, 07:31 PM   #37
M-I-Z-Z-O-U

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightfyre View Post
Can someone please help me understand the Marquise Brown love? In five NFL seasons, he has been healthy for two, barely cracked a thousand yards once. I get that he can make some big plays, but is <1 big play per game average really worth 4/70? Especially when MVS has a similar number of big plays in fewer receptions each year?

I guess I just struggle to get enthusiastic about Brown, and I don't really see where everyone's hype comes from.
1. He missed 3 games in 3 years in Baltimore. Out of like 54 total. So, he was a generally healthy player until he was shipped to play home games on the garbage field in Arizona.

2. He's not just a big-play guy and not a Valdes-Scantling replacement. They wouldn't be paying him to just run deep routes and be a deep threat. They'd be bringing him in to use him like they used Hill (and planned to use Toney this year).

3. The hype comes from him being a generally productive player when healthy, who can beat guys deep, make guys miss in the open field, and who catches the ball really well. His career drop rate is like 4%, which is really good. And for a little guy, he's surprisingly good in contested catch spots.

4. Of the guys likely to ACTUALLY hit FA (Mike Evans, Calvin Ridley being the other 2 in his tier), he's the youngest and offers the most opportunity to provide more value than the contract he signed.

All things equal, if it were me, I'd go hard after Mike Evans and try to make that happen, if possible. But I think the Chiefs are more likely to covet/target/get Brown.

Basically, if you like Zay Flowers and would like to have Zay Flowers on the Chiefs, you should be interested in Brown.
duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 2 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2024, 08:57 AM   #38
MVP

Really like those first two picks.

Guyton feels like an Andy Reid type. Very athletic pass blocker with good feet, needs to be coached up. Egbuka is exactly what Andy looks for, he's a route runner and separator. Brown feels like exactly what we need, a fast deep threat that can catch.
Couch-Potato has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Couch-Potato has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Couch-Potato has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Couch-Potato has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Couch-Potato has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Couch-Potato has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Couch-Potato has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Couch-Potato has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Couch-Potato has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Couch-Potato has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Couch-Potato has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.
Old 01-08-2024, 09:11 AM   #39
In Search of a Life

I don't actually disagree on the Brown thing, I'm just not up for paying him that. There's just not much upside cooked in there. If he hits his ceiling, maybe. But how likely is that?
O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 01-09-2024, 01:14 PM   #40
In Search of a Life

O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 01-10-2024, 12:08 AM   #41
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by O.city View Post
Given the subjective characteristics of PFF's evaluation, does aggregating this stuff (I won't even call it data) mean anything? Like if Aaron Donald's evaluator has even a little bias, it would just be amplified in the aggregation, for example. Unless there are strictly objective criteria or some measure of control over such "metrics" (which again, I think is objectively a stretch of the capability of the PFF evaluation system) isn't this chart worth as much as any given eye test?
Nightfyre has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Nightfyre has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Nightfyre has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Nightfyre has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Nightfyre has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Nightfyre has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Nightfyre has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Nightfyre has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Nightfyre has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Nightfyre has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Nightfyre has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.
Old 01-10-2024, 11:11 AM   #42
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightfyre View Post
Given the subjective characteristics of PFF's evaluation, does aggregating this stuff (I won't even call it data) mean anything? Like if Aaron Donald's evaluator has even a little bias, it would just be amplified in the aggregation, for example. Unless there are strictly objective criteria or some measure of control over such "metrics" (which again, I think is objectively a stretch of the capability of the PFF evaluation system) isn't this chart worth as much as any given eye test?
Lots of penalties are objective as well, but we accept that.

I'm a PFF fan, but understand most aren't.
Couch-Potato has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Couch-Potato has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Couch-Potato has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Couch-Potato has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Couch-Potato has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Couch-Potato has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Couch-Potato has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Couch-Potato has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Couch-Potato has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Couch-Potato has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Couch-Potato has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.
Old 01-10-2024, 11:12 AM   #43
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by O.city View Post
Jones and Sneed are both must keeps, regardless of what CP thinks, it can be done.

We have $31m in space already + let MVS walk for +$14m = $45m = $28m Jones & $17m Sneed.... restructure someone (Mahomes, Thuney, or Taylor) to pay the smaller contracts.
Old 01-10-2024, 11:41 AM   #44
Sauntering Vaguely Downwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Couch-Potato View Post
Jones and Sneed are both must keeps, regardless of what CP thinks, it can be done.

We have $31m in space already + let MVS walk for +$14m = $45m = $28m Jones & $17m Sneed.... restructure someone (Mahomes, Thuney, or Taylor) to pay the smaller contracts.
How do you intend to address the WR room?

You can't 'run it back' with this team. And if you retain Sneed and Jones, that's what you're committing to.

A) 'Run it back' rarely works
B) This ain't a good enough squad to do that with anyway.

It needs a fairly significant roster shakeup and bringing back both Sneed and Jones will prevent that.
DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 1     Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2024, 11:43 AM   #45
In Search of a Life

Draft a guy, flip a pick to the Titans for Hopkins.

I don't think they can bring back Jones at that #, but he's still an elite player and that's gonna sting losing him.