Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room > Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Old 05-01-2024, 05:34 AM  
__

Nate Taylor: some draft tidbits

On a recent episode of his podcast Only Weird Games, Nate Taylor provided some draft tidbits on the 1st two rounds.
  • The Chiefs attitude going into the draft was "how can we better serve Mahomes."
  • Around pick 16/17, the Chiefs started making move-up phone calls. They wanted to move up into the teens.
  • They were super interested in Amarius Mims. They felt he was "the first prospect they felt they could go get."
  • They felt that Brian Thomas Jr. was not going to be "in range." He went 23rd, so Nate argues that they could have tried to go get him. But their next big prospect they loved was Worthy.
  • In part they valued getting a WR in the 1st if a tackle didn't work out because that 5th year option will be so financially valuable.
  • They then tried to draft up into the early 50s in the 2nd round.
  • They were nervous as hell that Baltimore would take Kingsley.
  • Taylor suggests the one-pick trade-up for Kingsley may have been a "psychological play," indicating to Kingsley that they were willing to burn resources to snag him.
Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-02-2024, 11:07 AM   #31
remember, remember

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut View Post
You don't get much out of Andy in this regard, but when he talks offensive line I stand up and listen.

That guy is so good at identifying/teaching the OL. He's so intricate and precise in his knowledge and how he imparts it. It's none of that bullshit high school coach speak that you often hear. "Be the hammer or you'll be the nail!"

No, it's specific stuff. "Get your punch up here and use this hand to turn their shoulder and this hand right here into their chest just as their inside foot comes up bend your back and drive..."

I mean he understands this stuff so well. He knows all the little tricks and does such a good job relaying it to his guys.

And that's before you get to all the stuff he actually gets credit for; the scheme specific stuff he does and what not.

He's just the bees knees, fellas.
he doesn't talk defense much--- but you know his knowledge of it is, while maybe not quite as insane as his offensive knowledge, insane to the average person.

I mean, I don't know if I've ever known of a head coach with such a broad knowledge base for as many positions and as many disparate concepts. he's a football savant that never stopped learning. there have been other masterminds, but you can tell that reid just has a drive that much higher than other coaches.
Ebolapox is too fat/Omaha.Ebolapox is too fat/Omaha.Ebolapox is too fat/Omaha.Ebolapox is too fat/Omaha.Ebolapox is too fat/Omaha.Ebolapox is too fat/Omaha.Ebolapox is too fat/Omaha.Ebolapox is too fat/Omaha.Ebolapox is too fat/Omaha.Ebolapox is too fat/Omaha.Ebolapox is too fat/Omaha.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 11:28 AM   #32
Sauntering Vaguely Downwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebolapox View Post
he doesn't talk defense much--- but you know his knowledge of it is, while maybe not quite as insane as his offensive knowledge, insane to the average person.

I mean, I don't know if I've ever known of a head coach with such a broad knowledge base for as many positions and as many disparate concepts. he's a football savant that never stopped learning. there have been other masterminds, but you can tell that reid just has a drive that much higher than other coaches.
It's why I'm just not that worried about him retiring until/unless his health demands it.

This is what the guy would be doing if he could be doing anything in the world. Andy doesn't wanna stop coaching to go golfing.

If his body lets him do it, he's gonna keep doing it.
DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 3 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 12:11 PM   #33
Has a particular set of skills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Direckshun View Post
On a recent episode of his podcast Only Weird Games, Nate Taylor provided some draft tidbits on the 1st two rounds.[*]In part they valued getting a WR in the 1st if a tackle didn't work out because that 5th year option will be so financially valuable.
I brought this up many times in draft discussions. For the most part the opinion on here was the money for a 5th year WR, if he hit on them and they are good, saves us $20 million in cap space that year. I thought that was valuable. Most said trade down was more valuable than the $20 million in cap space for 2 year. Sounds like the Chiefs are thinking like me. So whats up with the group think in here?
BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-02-2024, 01:00 PM   #34
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedChief View Post
I brought this up many times in draft discussions. For the most part the opinion on here was the money for a 5th year WR, if he hit on them and they are good, saves us $20 million in cap space that year. I thought that was valuable. Most said trade down was more valuable than the $20 million in cap space for 2 year. Sounds like the Chiefs are thinking like me. So whats up with the group think in here?
We're all guys. We see your avatar and get stupid because our blood is rushing to our lower brain. Pretty sure at least half of the dumbassery in here is entirely your fault.
kozzman555 is not part of the Right 53.kozzman555 is not part of the Right 53.kozzman555 is not part of the Right 53.kozzman555 is not part of the Right 53.kozzman555 is not part of the Right 53.kozzman555 is not part of the Right 53.kozzman555 is not part of the Right 53.kozzman555 is not part of the Right 53.kozzman555 is not part of the Right 53.kozzman555 is not part of the Right 53.kozzman555 is not part of the Right 53.
Old 05-02-2024, 01:13 PM   #35
MVP

FTR I just meant college qbs would blow Brisco and Nate out of the water schematically.
Dunerdr is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Dunerdr is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Dunerdr is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Dunerdr is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Dunerdr is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Dunerdr is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Dunerdr is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Dunerdr is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Dunerdr is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Dunerdr is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Dunerdr is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.
Old 05-03-2024, 06:22 AM   #36
DeadPunisher

Quote:
You don't get much out of Andy in this regard, but when he talks offensive line I stand up and listen.

That guy is so good at identifying/teaching the OL. He's so intricate and precise in his knowledge and how he imparts it. It's none of that bullshit high school coach speak that you often hear. "Be the hammer or you'll be the nail!"

No, it's specific stuff. "Get your punch up here and use this hand to turn their shoulder and this hand right here into their chest just as their inside foot comes up bend your back and drive..."

I mean he understands this stuff so well. He knows all the little tricks and does such a good job relaying it to his guys.

And that's before you get to all the stuff he actually gets credit for; the scheme specific stuff he does and what not.

He's just the bees knees, fellas.
BB has been wrong about players way more than he has ever been right. FFS, he thought Mac Jones was worth the 15th pick, AND he thinks Bailey Zappe is a starting QB in the NFL.

I would listen to BB break down how to attack offenses, and I would listen to him talk defenses and philosophies all day, but I am not interested in anything personnel wise coming out of his mouth.
ChiefsFanatic wants to die in a aids tree fire.ChiefsFanatic wants to die in a aids tree fire.ChiefsFanatic wants to die in a aids tree fire.ChiefsFanatic wants to die in a aids tree fire.ChiefsFanatic wants to die in a aids tree fire.ChiefsFanatic wants to die in a aids tree fire.ChiefsFanatic wants to die in a aids tree fire.ChiefsFanatic wants to die in a aids tree fire.ChiefsFanatic wants to die in a aids tree fire.ChiefsFanatic wants to die in a aids tree fire.ChiefsFanatic wants to die in a aids tree fire.
Old 05-03-2024, 09:47 AM   #37
__

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefsFanatic View Post
BB has been wrong about players way more than he has ever been right. FFS, he thought Mac Jones was worth the 15th pick, AND he thinks Bailey Zappe is a starting QB in the NFL.

I would listen to BB break down how to attack offenses, and I would listen to him talk defenses and philosophies all day, but I am not interested in anything personnel wise coming out of his mouth.
Nope, BB is pretty much the master of OL coaching. You clue in on that.

Guy has no idea what works for skill positions. But he's a master of the trenches.
Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-07-2024, 12:34 PM   #38
Starter

Quote:
It's why I'm just not that worried about him retiring until/unless his health demands it.

This is what the guy would be doing if he could be doing anything in the world. Andy doesn't wanna stop coaching to go golfing.

Even when he moves into an ambassador role in a few years time you just know he will be badgering the back room staff to keep sending him the tape to study.
Hayneplane must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Hayneplane must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Hayneplane must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Hayneplane must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Hayneplane must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Hayneplane must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Hayneplane must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Hayneplane must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Hayneplane must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Hayneplane must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Hayneplane must have mowed badgirl's lawn.
Old 05-09-2024, 05:44 AM   #39
MVP

Quote:

Andy's going to croak on a practice field one of these years. He's not going to quit. They'll have to carry him off.
Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.