Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Old 04-08-2020, 08:35 AM  
MVP

Is it the line, or the running back?

I just thought since it comes up in every single thread, maybe we could talk about in one continuous conversation.

I think we'd all be in agreement that we need to be more consistent in the running game.

Some of us think the problem is lack of a talented enough RB to be a 'feature back'.

Some of us think that the biggest problem is that our interior offensive line is lousy, and when coupled with losing Fisher for half a season, was the biggest reason we were unable to run the ball.

Personally, I fall mostly in the second camp. I have no illusions that Damien Williams is a top 5 back; but I think with decent line play (such as we got once Fisher was back in the flow and Wisniewski took over LG) he can be effective when healthy. The problem is, he's never made a full season healthy; so I agree with taking a mid-round RB to provide competition and hopefully upgrade.

I think the interior offensive line is #2 on my priority list to upgrade, just after CB where we are dangerously thin. I don't believe that any RB upgrade will pay dividends without upgrading from OG-OG.

It's a chicken-and-the-egg argument really, but where do you come down?
Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-08-2020, 08:37 AM   #2
Hockey Town

It's more the RB......when Williams finally decided to get healthy and play strong they ran fine, the problem is he isn't capable of carrying that load by himself.
Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-08-2020, 08:37 AM   #3
Spaceman Spiff

yes
Whosurdaddy is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutWhosurdaddy is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutWhosurdaddy is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutWhosurdaddy is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutWhosurdaddy is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutWhosurdaddy is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutWhosurdaddy is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutWhosurdaddy is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutWhosurdaddy is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutWhosurdaddy is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutWhosurdaddy is the dumbass Milkman is always talking about
Old 04-08-2020, 08:37 AM   #4
In Search of a Life

I don’t think it’s an either/or thing. We need to upgrade IOL and RB.
staylor26 is obviously part of the inner Circle.staylor26 is obviously part of the inner Circle.staylor26 is obviously part of the inner Circle.staylor26 is obviously part of the inner Circle.staylor26 is obviously part of the inner Circle.staylor26 is obviously part of the inner Circle.staylor26 is obviously part of the inner Circle.staylor26 is obviously part of the inner Circle.staylor26 is obviously part of the inner Circle.staylor26 is obviously part of the inner Circle.staylor26 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 08:39 AM   #5
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by staylor26 View Post
I don’t think it’s an either/or thing. We need to upgrade IOL and RB.

aye.

but which do you feel is MOST pressing, I guess is the question.
Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-08-2020, 08:40 AM   #6
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mecca View Post
It's more the RB......when Williams finally decided to get healthy and play strong they ran fine, the problem is he isn't capable of carrying that load by himself.
but I would argue that Fisher returning and Wiz taking Wylie's spot had more to do with that.
Old 04-08-2020, 08:41 AM   #7
I love your mom

Barry Sanders had a shitty line but he was Barry Sanders, I think to have a GREAT running game you need both to have a functional running game great line/average RB, great RB/average line can be effective also depends on the coach. Since we only really need a functional running game because of our play style I would rather have a great line .
Monticore would the whole thing.Monticore would the whole thing.Monticore would the whole thing.Monticore would the whole thing.Monticore would the whole thing.Monticore would the whole thing.Monticore would the whole thing.Monticore would the whole thing.Monticore would the whole thing.Monticore would the whole thing.Monticore would the whole thing.
Old 04-08-2020, 08:41 AM   #8
In Search of a Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Meck View Post
aye.

but which do you feel is MOST pressing, I guess is the question.
Since pass protection was also an issue on the interior, I have to go with that, but that doesn’t necessarily mean I’m taking an IOL before I take a RB. Still going BPA.
staylor26 is obviously part of the inner Circle.staylor26 is obviously part of the inner Circle.staylor26 is obviously part of the inner Circle.staylor26 is obviously part of the inner Circle.staylor26 is obviously part of the inner Circle.staylor26 is obviously part of the inner Circle.staylor26 is obviously part of the inner Circle.staylor26 is obviously part of the inner Circle.staylor26 is obviously part of the inner Circle.staylor26 is obviously part of the inner Circle.staylor26 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-08-2020, 08:42 AM   #9
Hockey Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Meck View Post
but I would argue that Fisher returning and Wiz taking Wylie's spot had more to do with that.
You can make that argument but we are in no position to be using 1st round picks on guards or spending lots of money on them, you can't have elite players everywhere.
Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-08-2020, 08:42 AM   #10
Andy Reid Supporter

OL was worse when Charles was in this offense. Didn’t matter.

OL was roughly the same when Hunt was in this offense. Wasn’t a problem.

There’s your answer
RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 1     Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 08:43 AM   #11
MVP

Quote:
thats also when wis came in though.
Dunerdr is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Dunerdr is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Dunerdr is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Dunerdr is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Dunerdr is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Dunerdr is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Dunerdr is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Dunerdr is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Dunerdr is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Dunerdr is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Dunerdr is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.
Old 04-08-2020, 08:43 AM   #12
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by staylor26 View Post
Since pass protection was also an issue on the interior, I have to go with that, but that doesn’t necessarily mean I’m taking an IOL before I take a RB. Still going BPA.
I'd agree with this caveat:

If we didn't draft or sign a RB I wouldn't be particularly worried. Williams/Williams/Thompson could be fine. I would prefer we took a RB somewhere in round 3-4 though.

If we didn't draft or sign an upgrade anywhere on the interior of the line, I would be very, very concerned.
Old 04-08-2020, 08:45 AM   #13
Hockey Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunerdr View Post
thats also when wis came in though.
But he's just a JAG too...

The way our team is built and the holes we have on D we are gonna have to roll with some JAGS.
Old 04-08-2020, 08:48 AM   #14
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunKC View Post
OL was worse when Charles was in this offense. Didn’t matter.

OL was roughly the same when Hunt was in this offense. Wasn’t a problem.

There’s your answer
1) Charles was one of the best broken play runners I ever saw. That's a VERY unusual ability. Walter Payton, Barry Sanders kind of shit. Very few RB's are great at that.

2) No, Hunt didn't run behind roughly the same line. This is a myth I keep seeing repeated. Morse>Reiter. LDT pre injury>LDT post injury. Wylie is a dumpster fire. So 2/3 of your interior line is different and/or lesser than their former self.
Old 04-08-2020, 08:49 AM   #15
MVP

Quote:
But he's just a JAG too...

The way our team is built and the holes we have on D we are gonna have to roll with some JAGS.
But he was a slightly better more experienced jag than Wylie. The pass game got a little better about the same time. But Mahomes stopped drifting back and started stepping up more around the same time. Id say as constructed IOL makes more sense than RB as the need. We know dwill can be good enough, and this oline was getting mahomes blown up early, part due to Fisher being out but the interior was aids early on.
Dunerdr is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Dunerdr is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Dunerdr is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Dunerdr is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Dunerdr is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Dunerdr is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Dunerdr is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Dunerdr is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Dunerdr is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Dunerdr is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Dunerdr is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.