Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Old 02-26-2020, 10:28 PM  
MVP

***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***

A couple of reminders...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwana View Post
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dartgod View Post
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

Last edited by Bearcat; 03-25-2020 at 08:56 AM.. Reason: adding spoiler tag
JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.
Old 07-19-2021, 09:36 AM   #53401
In Search of a Life

Looks like the vaccines are making this essentially, Influenza.
O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 11:02 AM   #53402
Why so serious?

Quote:
Originally Posted by O.city View Post

Looks like the vaccines are making this essentially, Influenza.
At best a worse version of the flu. But there's also a generally assumed several week lag between cases and deaths so I wouldn't take overwhelming comfort in that being low when the case count is growing sharply.

We're all either going to get covid or a vaccine and many of us will get both.
TwistedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.TwistedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.TwistedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.TwistedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.TwistedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.TwistedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.TwistedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.TwistedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.TwistedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.TwistedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.TwistedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 07-19-2021, 11:15 AM   #53403
In Search of a Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedChief View Post
At best a worse version of the flu. But there's also a generally assumed several week lag between cases and deaths so I wouldn't take overwhelming comfort in that being low when the case count is growing sharply.

We're all either going to get covid or a vaccine and many of us will get both.
Looks like its uncoupled from cases at this point, but we'll have to continue to wait and see for sure.
O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 07-19-2021, 12:32 PM   #53404
Generational Player

Quote:
Looks like its uncoupled from cases at this point, but we'll have to continue to wait and see for sure.
And Covid takes the weakest and frail first.

We were running out of those people as most had already died.

Before the mass vaccination the UK was already running below average excess mortality.

I also think Delta looks a bit more transmissable but less deadly.
MahomesMagic has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.MahomesMagic has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.MahomesMagic has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.MahomesMagic has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.MahomesMagic has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.MahomesMagic has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.MahomesMagic has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.MahomesMagic has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.MahomesMagic has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.MahomesMagic has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.MahomesMagic has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.
Old 07-19-2021, 12:46 PM   #53405
In Search of a Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by MahomesMagic View Post
And Covid takes the weakest and frail first.

We were running out of those people as most had already died.

Before the mass vaccination the UK was already running below average excess mortality.

I also think Delta looks a bit more transmissable but less deadly.
Because the ones dying before are now vaccinated and delta is infecting younger cohorts.

You're first statement shows why it appears that way.
Old 07-19-2021, 12:48 PM   #53406
In Search of a Life

Thumbs Up 2 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 01:45 PM   #53407
It's a league game, Dude

Quote:
The math follows but if the country is at 95% vaccination, then things go to zero in a hurry because the vaccines have a decent sterilizing immunity (who knows with delta) and seem to reduce transmissibility. However, 95% is a wet dream that we will never reach. 65% of the entire population was an initial goal but that doesn't even seem terribly likely. It's depressing.
Swanman 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliSwanman 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliSwanman 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliSwanman 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliSwanman 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliSwanman 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliSwanman 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliSwanman 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliSwanman 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliSwanman 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliSwanman 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitelli
Old 07-19-2021, 02:10 PM   #53408
In Search of a Life

https://www.reddit.com/r/slatestarco...nt_like_march/

Quote:
That's right, the mrna vaccines seem to give a huge antibody surge that's way overkill (against the exact right target) for neutralizing and preventing infection, and then there's exponential decay over many months, and T-cell immunity takes over. But practically it looks like antigenic drift getting around the (still high) antibody titer is more significant than the antibody decay, and it will be T-cells (which won't be evaded) doing most of the work against future waves, and that's totally fine, we'd be set without any antibodies in play at all.

With high vaccination rates, variants that best avoid antibody neutralization to give vaccinated people a cold have a huge fitness advantage, so we're seeing roughly the behaviour we'd expect (rapidly out-competing other variants) even if there were no other fitness advantage at all.

... So tailored boosters are mostly about new neutralizing antibodies aiming for a moving target, which these folks don't think is worthwhile, and isn't the long-term point of the vaccines anyway. Antibodies are just plain overrated because neutralization is an easy binary to explain.
Really good thread that brings up a lot of points about delta, and has a lot of seemingly knowledgeable posters chiming in on various aspects of the vaccines and immunity.
suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 07-19-2021, 02:36 PM   #53409
Banned

https://91-divoc.com/pages/covid-vis...tes-normalized
eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 07-19-2021, 05:12 PM   #53410
It's a league game, Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by eDave View Post
That's a nice tool. Looks like a race to the bottom between Missouri, Florida and Arkansas. I am happy that my state is still hovering below the 5 per 100k mark, and that number is a little misleading given the southern part of Illinois is doing much worse than the northern part, which makes sense given the differing vaccination rates.

Mayo Clinic also has some good graphs and maps. I especially like their county maps for each state. SW Missouri is all kinds of dark/ugly red.
Swanman 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliSwanman 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliSwanman 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliSwanman 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliSwanman 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliSwanman 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliSwanman 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliSwanman 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliSwanman 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliSwanman 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliSwanman 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitelli
Old 07-19-2021, 05:15 PM   #53411
It's a league game, Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzzer99 View Post
https://www.reddit.com/r/slatestarco...nt_like_march/

Really good thread that brings up a lot of points about delta, and has a lot of seemingly knowledgeable posters chiming in on various aspects of the vaccines and immunity.
I read a bit and lots of good math in there. That thread was very un-Reddit-like in its professionalism. It's rare to read something on the web and come away feeling just a bit smarter.
Old 07-19-2021, 06:00 PM   #53412
Cool as a Cucumber

American Academy of Pediatrics recommends in person learning with masks for upcoming school year.

https://www.aappublications.org/news...schools-071821
KS Smitty has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.KS Smitty has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.KS Smitty has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.KS Smitty has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.KS Smitty has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.KS Smitty has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.KS Smitty has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.KS Smitty has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.KS Smitty has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.KS Smitty has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.KS Smitty has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.
Old 07-19-2021, 06:08 PM   #53413
It's a league game, Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by KS Smitty View Post
American Academy of Pediatrics recommends in person learning with masks for upcoming school year.

Good to see. There is a gang of anti-maskers in my little suburb that is bound and damn determined to bully the school board to say no masks even for kids that can't be vaccinated yet.

I was listening to one lady at a birthday party over the weekend saying, "I trained my son to wear a mask but I will not send him back if they have to keep wearing them". First off, I didn't realize her son was a circus animal and secondly, you don't have to "train" kids to wear them if your parenting skills are worth a shit. My wife and I sat down with our kids (5 and 7 when pandemic broke out) and explained what was going on and how masks can help each other and they have been absolutely fine with it because we aren't big damn babies about it.
Old 07-19-2021, 06:59 PM   #53414
Stay positive, don't give up

Quote:
Originally Posted by KS Smitty View Post

Good. This tweet is basically how I feel

@jkirk___: Really having a hard time accepting that kids sacrificed 16+ months of their childhood, 2 school years of normalcy, mostly to protect adults from a virus that they’re now choosing NOT to get vaccinated against, making kids who can’t vax more vulnerable & holding everyone hostage
Sure-Oz wants to die in a aids tree fire.Sure-Oz wants to die in a aids tree fire.Sure-Oz wants to die in a aids tree fire.Sure-Oz wants to die in a aids tree fire.Sure-Oz wants to die in a aids tree fire.Sure-Oz wants to die in a aids tree fire.Sure-Oz wants to die in a aids tree fire.Sure-Oz wants to die in a aids tree fire.Sure-Oz wants to die in a aids tree fire.Sure-Oz wants to die in a aids tree fire.Sure-Oz wants to die in a aids tree fire.
Old 07-19-2021, 07:01 PM   #53415
Stay positive, don't give up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanman View Post
Good to see. There is a gang of anti-maskers in my little suburb that is bound and damn determined to bully the school board to say no masks even for kids that can't be vaccinated yet.

I was listening to one lady at a birthday party over the weekend saying, "I trained my son to wear a mask but I will not send him back if they have to keep wearing them". First off, I didn't realize her son was a circus animal and secondly, you don't have to "train" kids to wear them if your parenting skills are worth a shit. My wife and I sat down with our kids (5 and 7 when pandemic broke out) and explained what was going on and how masks can help each other and they have been absolutely fine with it because we aren't big damn babies about it.
Great examples these morons are setting. Good, keep your kid home. They'll probably get infected cause your dumbass doesn't give a shit about covid.
Sure-Oz wants to die in a aids tree fire.Sure-Oz wants to die in a aids tree fire.Sure-Oz wants to die in a aids tree fire.Sure-Oz wants to die in a aids tree fire.Sure-Oz wants to die in a aids tree fire.Sure-Oz wants to die in a aids tree fire.Sure-Oz wants to die in a aids tree fire.Sure-Oz wants to die in a aids tree fire.Sure-Oz wants to die in a aids tree fire.Sure-Oz wants to die in a aids tree fire.Sure-Oz wants to die in a aids tree fire.