Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Old 09-24-2004, 08:25 AM  
Supporter

Handy-Man Corner

I'm tired of bad Chiefs news.....

I thought it would be a good idea for a thread on the Handy-Man.

Do you have any Home remedies, gadgets you've made, advice on car repair, home maint, sollutions to kill weeds in your yard, bugs in your garden?

Use Coke to clean your batteries? That type of stuff.
Home made floor dry?
Iowanian is obviously part of the inner Circle.Iowanian is obviously part of the inner Circle.Iowanian is obviously part of the inner Circle.Iowanian is obviously part of the inner Circle.Iowanian is obviously part of the inner Circle.Iowanian is obviously part of the inner Circle.Iowanian is obviously part of the inner Circle.Iowanian is obviously part of the inner Circle.Iowanian is obviously part of the inner Circle.Iowanian is obviously part of the inner Circle.Iowanian is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 01-06-2007, 11:07 AM   #331
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowanian
RJ...whats the lowdown on the new trend I'm hearing about with "CORK" flooring?

Is it cool or not? Expensive?

We've sold a few jobs with cork over the past few years. It appeals to customers who want an eco-friendly floor, people with back or feet problems (it gives a bit under-foot), and people who just want something different. Also, they're good DIY products.... glueless, floating floors, but make sure it's a pre-finished product. We had some issues in the past with applying a finish on-site. I think you could expect to find factory finished cork floors starting at around $5 per s/f. uninstalled.

Since cork is a softer material I wouldn't suggest it for every family. Small kids and large dogs probably wouldn't be a good fit with it. Also, if it's going in a kitchen you should probably glue the seams and maybe apply another coat of urethane.

Having said all that, I'm not a cork expert and some of this is just my opinion based on a few experiences and info I've picked up from manufacturer reps. A good brand you might want to look for is Wicanders, they have pretty good distribution around the country.

http://www.wicanders.com/page.asp?id=1&context=6,11,0
RJ Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.RJ Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.RJ Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.RJ Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.RJ Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.RJ Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.RJ Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.RJ Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.RJ Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.RJ Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.RJ Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.
Old 01-06-2007, 11:30 AM   #332
Will KC ever be better?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach
Heh, well that, but realistically, we didn't have the proper equipment for that dishwasher to be hooked up correctly, and that my tools were 200 miles away from where my folks house is.

Didn't have a screw driver and pliers? That's about all I needed to put the last one I installed in.

PastorMikH must have mowed badgirl's lawn.PastorMikH must have mowed badgirl's lawn.PastorMikH must have mowed badgirl's lawn.PastorMikH must have mowed badgirl's lawn.PastorMikH must have mowed badgirl's lawn.PastorMikH must have mowed badgirl's lawn.PastorMikH must have mowed badgirl's lawn.PastorMikH must have mowed badgirl's lawn.PastorMikH must have mowed badgirl's lawn.PastorMikH must have mowed badgirl's lawn.PastorMikH must have mowed badgirl's lawn.
Old 01-06-2007, 11:34 AM   #333
Phobia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowanian
RJ...whats the lowdown on the new trend I'm hearing about with "CORK" flooring?

Is it cool or not? Expensive?
Good stuff. I've seen it - haven't used it. But it's comparable to all other flooring prices. You can get in the low-end for $3 sft on up to $10.

Cork and Bamboo are very trendy due to their environmentally friendly qualities. I have about 1000 sqft of bamboo on the main living level of my house.
Old 01-06-2007, 11:58 AM   #334
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phobia
Good stuff. I've seen it - haven't used it. But it's comparable to all other flooring prices. You can get in the low-end for $3 sft on up to $10.

Cork and Bamboo are very trendy due to their environmentally friendly qualities. I have about 1000 sqft of bamboo on the main living level of my house.

Here is an article for anyone interested in bamboo. Not real detailed, just good, basic info for someone researching products.

http://www.abqjournal.com/homes/428450homes01-28-06.htm
RJ Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.RJ Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.RJ Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.RJ Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.RJ Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.RJ Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.RJ Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.RJ Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.RJ Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.RJ Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.RJ Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.
Old 01-06-2007, 12:29 PM   #335
Starter

once a week i recommend stuffing your garbage disposel with ice and then turn it on

it will clean those nasty pipes
whoppy has disabled reputation
Old 01-16-2007, 10:15 AM   #336
When a nightmare becomes real

Okay, I just installed ceramic tile in the bathroom this weekend. I've never done that before, and i've never grouted before. I plan on grouting this weekend that way we can stay off of it for a day.

Any tips, tricks, helpful hints, or words of caution when grouting? I'm using a premixed precolored grout that can also be used as an adhesive.

First question: Should I use a sealant after i'm done?
Saulbadguy threw an interception on a screen pass.Saulbadguy threw an interception on a screen pass.Saulbadguy threw an interception on a screen pass.Saulbadguy threw an interception on a screen pass.Saulbadguy threw an interception on a screen pass.Saulbadguy threw an interception on a screen pass.Saulbadguy threw an interception on a screen pass.Saulbadguy threw an interception on a screen pass.Saulbadguy threw an interception on a screen pass.Saulbadguy threw an interception on a screen pass.Saulbadguy threw an interception on a screen pass.
Old 01-16-2007, 10:23 AM   #337
In Search of a Life

Tip of the Day:
When storing paintbrushes that you've used for oil paints, wrap them in aluminum foil while they're still wet with the paint thinner you cleaned them with. They'll stay nice and moist without drying and stiffening up.
NewChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.NewChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.NewChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.NewChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.NewChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.NewChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.NewChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.NewChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.NewChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.NewChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.NewChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 01-16-2007, 10:24 AM   #338
The Maintenance Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saulbadguy
Okay, I just installed ceramic tile in the bathroom this weekend. I've never done that before, and i've never grouted before. I plan on grouting this weekend that way we can stay off of it for a day.

Any tips, tricks, helpful hints, or words of caution when grouting? I'm using a premixed precolored grout that can also be used as an adhesive.

I used an adhesive-type grout to re-grout my bathroom wall tile a couple years back and it was a tremendous pain in the ass. The elasticity of it made it very difficult to wipe down to a smooth finish. I wouldn't recommend using it. Go to a tile supplier and get some real grout. Sealing the grout can be a pain too, but it makes it easier to keep it clean.
Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 01-16-2007, 10:27 AM   #339
In Search of a Life

Quote:
I've only used premixed adhesive grout for repairing tiles, so I can't help you out much there.
NewChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.NewChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.NewChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.NewChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.NewChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.NewChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.NewChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.NewChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.NewChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.NewChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.NewChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 01-16-2007, 10:34 AM   #340
Supporter

Quote:

If you have a pre-mixed grout it may already have a stain treatment of some sort. Have you read the label?

I personally wouldn't worry about sealing grout in a bath area, but that's just an opinion. Is this an every day bath or a guest bath?
Old 01-16-2007, 10:35 AM   #341
Supporter

BTW, we are talking about floor tile, not wall tile?
Old 01-16-2007, 10:37 AM   #342
Seeking the Truth daily

Id sure seal it in a bath...helps keep the mildew from forming and seals from water penetration...it costs about 3 bucks and takes about 15 min.
HonestChieffan is obviously part of the inner Circle.HonestChieffan is obviously part of the inner Circle.HonestChieffan is obviously part of the inner Circle.HonestChieffan is obviously part of the inner Circle.HonestChieffan is obviously part of the inner Circle.HonestChieffan is obviously part of the inner Circle.HonestChieffan is obviously part of the inner Circle.HonestChieffan is obviously part of the inner Circle.HonestChieffan is obviously part of the inner Circle.HonestChieffan is obviously part of the inner Circle.HonestChieffan is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 01-16-2007, 11:03 AM   #343
When a nightmare becomes real

floor tile, every day bathroom.
Saulbadguy threw an interception on a screen pass.Saulbadguy threw an interception on a screen pass.Saulbadguy threw an interception on a screen pass.Saulbadguy threw an interception on a screen pass.Saulbadguy threw an interception on a screen pass.Saulbadguy threw an interception on a screen pass.Saulbadguy threw an interception on a screen pass.Saulbadguy threw an interception on a screen pass.Saulbadguy threw an interception on a screen pass.Saulbadguy threw an interception on a screen pass.Saulbadguy threw an interception on a screen pass.
Old 01-16-2007, 11:14 AM   #344
Supporter

For an every day use bath sealing is probably worth your time, especially if there are small kids taking baths. We use a spray on item called Grout Shield. It can be applied while the grout is still wet but that's with a cementitious grout, it may work differently with the premixed.

FWIW, you might want to return that and just get a bag of grout. Mixing it isn't a difficult task and as was mentioned it's probably easier to apply and clean up.
Old 01-16-2007, 11:28 AM   #345
West Coast Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by PastorMikH
One of the things I am envisioning is an addition that includes a family room (Man's Room that is). I am actually toying with the idea of a rustic look and trying to find someone with an old barn that has fallen down and use the wood from it as the finished wall where the entertainment system will go.

Where are you located Pastor? My Dad has a huge old barn that's been down for years. I don't know how much of the wood is salvageable, but I'm sure some is.
bogie is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.bogie is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.