Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Old 04-28-2024, 01:48 AM  
I got Rice cookin in the micro

What year did football become bigger than Baseball

?
Demonpenz is obviously part of the inner Circle.Demonpenz is obviously part of the inner Circle.Demonpenz is obviously part of the inner Circle.Demonpenz is obviously part of the inner Circle.Demonpenz is obviously part of the inner Circle.Demonpenz is obviously part of the inner Circle.Demonpenz is obviously part of the inner Circle.Demonpenz is obviously part of the inner Circle.Demonpenz is obviously part of the inner Circle.Demonpenz is obviously part of the inner Circle.Demonpenz is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-28-2024, 08:57 AM   #31
NFL's #1 Ermines Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgrund View Post
You guys are way off. Football in national surveys passed baseball in the 60s. I am inmy mid 50s and football has always been more popular. The only thing that has changed is the gap.
Agreed. I'm not checking the numbers, so I don't know when viewership for football passed baseball, but I think the writing was on the wall for baseball as soon as sports became televised. Baseball is a really good sport for radio, and football isn't. Football is a really good sport for tv and baseball isn't. How many people listen to radio anymore?
Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-28-2024, 09:05 AM   #32
Voodoo Chile

That period with the MLB strike and the Cowboys dynasty seems about right to me.
JimNasium Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JimNasium Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JimNasium Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JimNasium Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JimNasium Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JimNasium Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JimNasium Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JimNasium Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JimNasium Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JimNasium Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JimNasium Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.
Old 04-28-2024, 09:08 AM   #33
Court Jester

For me it was 89/90 when Marty arrived. That’s when KC became a football town almost overnight.
Spott is obviously part of the inner Circle.Spott is obviously part of the inner Circle.Spott is obviously part of the inner Circle.Spott is obviously part of the inner Circle.Spott is obviously part of the inner Circle.Spott is obviously part of the inner Circle.Spott is obviously part of the inner Circle.Spott is obviously part of the inner Circle.Spott is obviously part of the inner Circle.Spott is obviously part of the inner Circle.Spott is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-28-2024, 09:13 AM   #34
Has a particular set of skills

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimNasium View Post
That period with the MLB strike and the Cowboys dynasty seems about right to me.
yep, baseball missed its chance because it caved to the players. If they had a real salary cap in baseball where the Dodgers and the royals spend the same amount of money, it would be in way better shape.

One of the keys to the the NFL dominance is its good for TV but also KC, Green Bay etc. have just as good of a chance as the large metro areas have to win.
BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2024, 09:17 AM   #35
Rufus Dawes Jr.

94 during the baseball strike?
Hoover 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Hoover 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Hoover 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Hoover 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Hoover 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Hoover 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Hoover 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Hoover 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Hoover 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Hoover 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Hoover 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.
Old 04-28-2024, 09:23 AM   #36
Mahomes > God

A more interesting question IMO is when do we think the NFL took this stratospheric leap to the point where anything it does dwarfs everything else in sports and does it relatively easy…it really has become the only 24/7/365 sport.

I get that football has always been huge but it didn’t used to be like it is now where hell the schedule release will have bigger ratings than playoff games in other sports…

The NFL has really figured it out, hell Fantasy Football is more popular than some mainstream sports lol.
Jerm is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Jerm is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Jerm is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Jerm is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Jerm is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Jerm is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Jerm is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Jerm is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Jerm is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Jerm is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Jerm is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.
Old 04-28-2024, 09:26 AM   #37
Veteran

1994. Realized what a joke of a “sport” baseball is during the strike. Whiny, overpaid players and greedy large-market owners unwilling to look at the NFL revenue sharing model that provides a chance for legitimate competition. The the K became an advertising billboard, further expanding how pathetic baseball is, and that the Royals would rarely be competitive, and the owners were simply trying to sell you something other than their product, so they could survive.
hawkchief must have mowed badgirl's lawn.hawkchief must have mowed badgirl's lawn.hawkchief must have mowed badgirl's lawn.hawkchief must have mowed badgirl's lawn.hawkchief must have mowed badgirl's lawn.hawkchief must have mowed badgirl's lawn.hawkchief must have mowed badgirl's lawn.hawkchief must have mowed badgirl's lawn.hawkchief must have mowed badgirl's lawn.hawkchief must have mowed badgirl's lawn.hawkchief must have mowed badgirl's lawn.
Old 04-28-2024, 09:31 AM   #38
You're CARICATURES, ALL of you

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedChief View Post
yep, baseball missed its chance because it caved to the players. If they had a real salary cap in baseball where the Dodgers and the royals spend the same amount of money, it would be in way better shape.

One of the keys to the the NFL dominance is its good for TV but also KC, Green Bay etc. have just as good of a chance as the large metro areas have to win.
Yep, this 100%. Baseball not only needs a hard cap, but also a hard salary floor.

This would help the lower revenue teams, i.e. KC Royals from being nothing more than an extended farm league for the high revenue teams.
KC_Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.KC_Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.KC_Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.KC_Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.KC_Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.KC_Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.KC_Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.KC_Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.KC_Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.KC_Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.KC_Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-28-2024, 09:34 AM   #39
Future NBA Finals MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhawhaWhat View Post
After the MLB strike in 1994. That pissed a lot of people off that never came back.
This is it. It was a different time. I remember how pissed my dad was about it. Nowadays ppl would blame the owners.
BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-28-2024, 09:35 AM   #40
Starter

The Catch
wbbonneriii is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutwbbonneriii is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutwbbonneriii is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutwbbonneriii is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutwbbonneriii is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutwbbonneriii is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutwbbonneriii is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutwbbonneriii is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutwbbonneriii is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutwbbonneriii is the dumbass Milkman is always talking about
Old 04-28-2024, 09:37 AM   #41
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWillie View Post
This is it. It was a different time. I remember how pissed my dad was about it. Nowadays ppl would blame the owners.
Owners brought that on themselves. Ass-raping tax payers while their franchise evals skyrocket into the billions.

It's almost automatic for me anymore. I'm on the players side to get as much as they can. **** the owners.
notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-28-2024, 09:49 AM   #42
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS

Quote:
Originally Posted by scho63 View Post
Once MLB got all the mega TV contracts for just a few teams and only a few teams win every year for the last 30+ years.

There is no hope in MLB for 90% of the teams.
I wouldn't say there's no hope, but very little. But the sad reality is that even if a small market team catches lightning in a bottle and wins, like the 2014-2015 Royals, they'll immediately get gutted by the big money teams.
Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-28-2024, 09:55 AM   #43
Sometimes it's black and white

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade View Post
I agree it was after the baseball strike. My question is why did football not experience the same downturn when they went on strike and played with replacement players?
I understand there are lots of things that get more interesting if you get into them. But for instance, bowling is never going to be a top 5 spectator sport.

My question, how was baseball ever more popular than football in the first place?
Chief Pagan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Chief Pagan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Chief Pagan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Chief Pagan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Chief Pagan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Chief Pagan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Chief Pagan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Chief Pagan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Chief Pagan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Chief Pagan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Chief Pagan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.
Old 04-28-2024, 09:58 AM   #44
Mahomes: We Are All Witnesses

Joe Namath/Super Bowl III.
FloridaMan88 is obviously part of the inner Circle.FloridaMan88 is obviously part of the inner Circle.FloridaMan88 is obviously part of the inner Circle.FloridaMan88 is obviously part of the inner Circle.FloridaMan88 is obviously part of the inner Circle.FloridaMan88 is obviously part of the inner Circle.FloridaMan88 is obviously part of the inner Circle.FloridaMan88 is obviously part of the inner Circle.FloridaMan88 is obviously part of the inner Circle.FloridaMan88 is obviously part of the inner Circle.FloridaMan88 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 0 Thumbs Down 1     Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2024, 10:08 AM   #45
Sometimes it's black and white

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC_Lee View Post
Yep, this 100%. Baseball not only needs a hard cap, but also a hard salary floor.

This would help the lower revenue teams, i.e. KC Royals from being nothing more than an extended farm league for the high revenue teams.
NBA ratings aren't that great, but they seemed to be more balanced between big market and small teams.

For decades, the big stars left for big markets as soon as they could to put together teams.

Okay LeBron went back to Cleveland after Miami but whatever.

And Toronto went all in one year and it worked out.

But now a number of small or at least, not traditional big NBA teams, are in the mix.
Chief Pagan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Chief Pagan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Chief Pagan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Chief Pagan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Chief Pagan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Chief Pagan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Chief Pagan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Chief Pagan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Chief Pagan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Chief Pagan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Chief Pagan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.