Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Old 09-26-2023, 01:00 PM  
Hockey Town

Onside kick discussion

I brought this up in the MNF thread so I assume it wasn't seen by many.

Teams are going to have to try something different the way onside kicks are done now the odds of recovery is basically zero.

I proposed the idea of the kicker just drilling it as hard as he possibly can right at one of the upmen, no way dude is catching it then you get a live ball deflection.

Any other ideas out there?
Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 09-26-2023, 01:46 PM   #16
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunKC View Post
They need to eliminate the damn thing entirely. It's not only not safe but it's like the old FG attempt. The play is useless bc it almost never works.

Replace it with one of the following:

1. 55 yard FG to get the ball at own 25 ~ opposing team picks which side of the field the kick occurs.
2. Down and 10 from their own 5 yard line. If you get at least 10 yards you get 1st and 10 with the chance to go 85 yards to score
So because they cant recover an onside kick(safety excuse is bs) they deserve the ball back automatically????
ChiefsHawk must have mowed badgirl's lawn.ChiefsHawk must have mowed badgirl's lawn.ChiefsHawk must have mowed badgirl's lawn.ChiefsHawk must have mowed badgirl's lawn.ChiefsHawk must have mowed badgirl's lawn.ChiefsHawk must have mowed badgirl's lawn.ChiefsHawk must have mowed badgirl's lawn.ChiefsHawk must have mowed badgirl's lawn.ChiefsHawk must have mowed badgirl's lawn.ChiefsHawk must have mowed badgirl's lawn.ChiefsHawk must have mowed badgirl's lawn.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2023, 01:53 PM   #17
Veteran

The whole problem with onside kicks now vs the way they used to be is the fact that the NFL changed the rules for how the kicking team must line up and kick the ball. It's similar to the way they changed the rules for extra point kicks to be kicked from further back, but if you want to go for 2, they set the ball at the 2 yard line, or wherever it is.

Make kickoffs the same way. You have to abide by the new rules if you're going to kickoff normally, but you can declare that you're going to onside kick, in which case you get to play by the old kickoff rules. That would revert the success rate back to what it used to be.
RedinTexas would the whole thing.RedinTexas would the whole thing.RedinTexas would the whole thing.RedinTexas would the whole thing.RedinTexas would the whole thing.RedinTexas would the whole thing.RedinTexas would the whole thing.RedinTexas would the whole thing.RedinTexas would the whole thing.RedinTexas would the whole thing.RedinTexas would the whole thing.
Old 09-26-2023, 02:04 PM   #18
__

I always wondered why teams don't just kick the ball straight up. Like a ten yard punt with 3 seconds of hangtime.
Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 09-26-2023, 02:05 PM   #19
NFL's #1 Ermines Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Direckshun View Post
I always wondered why teams don't just kick the ball straight up. Like a ten yard punt with 3 seconds of hangtime.
That was my initial reaction until I remembered that the receiving team could just call a fair catch.
Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 2 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2023, 02:06 PM   #20
__

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
That was my initial reaction until I remembered that the receiving team could just call a fair catch.
What's the rules on that? I think the rules now say they can only call fair catch inside their own 25.
Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 09-26-2023, 02:10 PM   #21
In Search of a Life

Years ago the Ravens attempted a drop kick vs KC
https://www.si.com/nfl/chiefs/news/d...%20Toub%20said.
Chiefnj2 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Chiefnj2 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Chiefnj2 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Chiefnj2 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Chiefnj2 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Chiefnj2 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Chiefnj2 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Chiefnj2 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Chiefnj2 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Chiefnj2 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Chiefnj2 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.
Old 09-26-2023, 02:11 PM   #22
Court Jester

It seems like the chances are zero, but it seems like we fail to recover a lot of them for some reason.
Spott is obviously part of the inner Circle.Spott is obviously part of the inner Circle.Spott is obviously part of the inner Circle.Spott is obviously part of the inner Circle.Spott is obviously part of the inner Circle.Spott is obviously part of the inner Circle.Spott is obviously part of the inner Circle.Spott is obviously part of the inner Circle.Spott is obviously part of the inner Circle.Spott is obviously part of the inner Circle.Spott is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 09-26-2023, 02:13 PM   #23
NFL's #1 Ermines Fan

Quote:
What's the rules on that? I think the rules now say they can only call fair catch inside their own 25.
I didn't know that. I assumed you could call a fair catch any time before the ball hit the ground.

That then brings the pop-up kickoff into play as a strategy. It seems like a 50/50 proposition.
Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 09-26-2023, 03:16 PM   #24
Veteran

I think the rules are fine as they are. If you're down by 2 scores with a minute left you should need a miracle to tie or win the game. I think what a lot of people are failing to grasp here is that by design they have a much higher success rate when the receiving team doesn't know that the onside kick is coming. Teams have the real possibility right now of being rewarded for daring to do one in the first half when the scores are even. It might make good TV if you changed the onside kick rule but it would be damaging to the integrity of the game that more teams get results they absolutely do not deserve.
Womble would the whole thing.Womble would the whole thing.Womble would the whole thing.Womble would the whole thing.Womble would the whole thing.Womble would the whole thing.Womble would the whole thing.Womble would the whole thing.Womble would the whole thing.Womble would the whole thing.Womble would the whole thing.
Old 09-26-2023, 03:23 PM   #25
Sauntering Vaguely Downwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins View Post
I like setting up for an onside, then popping it up too deep for the hands team to catch, but too short for the deep man to fair catch. Imagine hitting a flop shot in golf, but as a kick, slicing across and underneath the tee.
So easy to fair catch that, though. And man, your window would be tiiiiiiiiny.

As a surprise move? Might be interesting. But in an end-game situation with a hands team out there that can presumably cover a lot of ground, that seems pretty unlikely.
DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 09-26-2023, 03:24 PM   #26
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFace View Post
I don't really think there's much that a team can do at this point. Any changes would have to be with the rules. I'm honestly not entirely convinced it's an issue, though. Sure, they're fun when it works, but arguably if you're in the position where you're resorting to that, you probably don't deserve to win anyway.
It’s amazing that it’s even a thing. Literally no other professional sport has an arbitrary play at the end of the game that can take a sure loss and give the team a chance to win while offering absolutely no upside to the winning team. Imagine in baseball if, on your last out, you brought out a giant wheel numbered, I don’t know, 1-100 and if the team picks the correct number it lands on then that team gets an extra 3 outs just because. Or if there’s less than 5 seconds left in a basketball game you can just randomly elect that your next possession if you make a shot from beyond half court it’s worth 10 points. Sure, it would bring some excitement I guess, but the point of sports isn’t to maximize chaos for the sake of it, it’s to find out who the better team is. Adding random stuff at the end of the game that does not apply to any other part of it doesn’t do that at all.
SithCeNtZ is not part of the Right 53.SithCeNtZ is not part of the Right 53.SithCeNtZ is not part of the Right 53.SithCeNtZ is not part of the Right 53.SithCeNtZ is not part of the Right 53.SithCeNtZ is not part of the Right 53.SithCeNtZ is not part of the Right 53.SithCeNtZ is not part of the Right 53.SithCeNtZ is not part of the Right 53.SithCeNtZ is not part of the Right 53.SithCeNtZ is not part of the Right 53.
Old 09-26-2023, 03:34 PM   #27
Custom User Title

What was the success rate before the rules changed? I would assume less than 10%? Maybe less than 5?

Sent from my SM-S906U1 using Tapatalk
kstater threw an interception on a screen pass.kstater threw an interception on a screen pass.kstater threw an interception on a screen pass.kstater threw an interception on a screen pass.kstater threw an interception on a screen pass.kstater threw an interception on a screen pass.kstater threw an interception on a screen pass.kstater threw an interception on a screen pass.kstater threw an interception on a screen pass.kstater threw an interception on a screen pass.kstater threw an interception on a screen pass.
Old 09-26-2023, 03:40 PM   #28
Starter

Quote:
You can call a fair catch inside the 25 and you get the ball at the 25 even if you catch it at the 10. You can still fair catch it anywhere outside the 25 and just get the ball where you fair caught it at.
Hawker007 is not part of the Right 53.Hawker007 is not part of the Right 53.Hawker007 is not part of the Right 53.Hawker007 is not part of the Right 53.Hawker007 is not part of the Right 53.Hawker007 is not part of the Right 53.Hawker007 is not part of the Right 53.Hawker007 is not part of the Right 53.Hawker007 is not part of the Right 53.Hawker007 is not part of the Right 53.Hawker007 is not part of the Right 53.
Old 09-26-2023, 03:54 PM   #29
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawker007 View Post
You can call a fair catch inside the 25 and you get the ball at the 25 even if you catch it at the 10. You can still fair catch it anywhere outside the 25 and just get the ball where you fair caught it at.
Correct, that's why they bounce it off the tee.

I actually think the way they tried last night is the next way to try, ball on no tee and spinning a ton and seeing what happens will be what kickers try

Sent from my SM-S906U1 using Tapatalk
kstater threw an interception on a screen pass.kstater threw an interception on a screen pass.kstater threw an interception on a screen pass.kstater threw an interception on a screen pass.kstater threw an interception on a screen pass.kstater threw an interception on a screen pass.kstater threw an interception on a screen pass.kstater threw an interception on a screen pass.kstater threw an interception on a screen pass.kstater threw an interception on a screen pass.kstater threw an interception on a screen pass.
Old 09-26-2023, 04:07 PM   #30
Veteran

How about putting a large(but not to large) bucket/Net off the ground but near the goal line out of bounds. If the kicker can kick off and put the ball in the bucket/Net the team gets the ball back!

The downside of trying this? If the kicker misses than of course the kickoff would be considered out of bounds and the returning team gets the ball on the 45 yard line thus making this option only for end game type of thing.

() -------------------- ()

Something like that.
Balto is not part of the Right 53.Balto is not part of the Right 53.Balto is not part of the Right 53.Balto is not part of the Right 53.Balto is not part of the Right 53.Balto is not part of the Right 53.Balto is not part of the Right 53.Balto is not part of the Right 53.Balto is not part of the Right 53.Balto is not part of the Right 53.Balto is not part of the Right 53.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote