Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Old 06-01-2014, 09:40 AM  
Kind of a mod

Space Exploration megathread

Since a number of cool things are happening in space exploration these days, we'll widen the scope of this thread a smidge. Conversation about all things space exploration are welcome, whether it be from NASA, SpaceX, ULA, Blue Origin, or anyone else. Chances are most of the discussion will still be about SpaceX since they love to make things public and fun, but nothing's off limits. I'll eventually get around to modifying the OP to include resources for other companies too, but in the meantime, feel free to post any cool stuff you run across.

Lists of Upcoming Missions

How to Watch a Live Launch

Where to Learn More
Spoiler!

Glossary
Spoiler!

Last edited by DaFace; 12-10-2020 at 03:36 PM..
DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 07-17-2016, 11:23 PM   #691
Kind of a mod

DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 07-17-2016, 11:24 PM   #692
(Sir/Yes Sir/Aye Aye Sir)

T'was awesome...
GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 07-17-2016, 11:27 PM   #693
Kind of a mod

Old 07-17-2016, 11:29 PM   #694
Has a particular set of skills

Way cool. It's fantastic to see science and business combine for the betterment of us all.
BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 07-17-2016, 11:33 PM   #695

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFace View Post
We should pool our money and send Dave Lane out there to get some CP pics some time. Put some Chiefs stuff in the view finder...
GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 07-18-2016, 01:31 AM   #696
Banned

Land the Lander:

https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/768...ef=producthunt
eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 07-18-2016, 09:11 AM   #697
Kind of a mod

Quote:
I just realized the coolest part of that photo. If you zoom in at full resolution....

You can actually see the first stage starting its "flip" while the second stage continues onward. Pretty cool.
Old 07-18-2016, 09:48 AM   #698

Quote:
I just realized the coolest part of that photo. If you zoom in at full resolution....

You can actually see the first stage starting its "flip" while the second stage continues onward. Pretty cool.
I get forward momentum, maintaining energy in a turn, centrifugal force, centripetal force, and all jazz, but after they use the cold-gas release to flip it, I'm having a hard time wrapping my mind around how does a rocket get going back the other way to make it back over land (in the near weightlessness it's in)? At least not without another burn, or unless the flip is more of a slow turn to allow momentum to ultimately send you back the other way?
Old 07-18-2016, 10:00 AM   #699
Kind of a mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryDayz View Post
I get forward momentum, maintaining energy in a turn, centrifugal force, centripetal force, and all jazz, but after they use the cold-gas release to flip it, I'm having a hard time wrapping my mind around how does a rocket get going back the other way to make it back over land (in the near weightlessness it's in)? At least not without another burn, or unless the flip is more of a slow turn to allow momentum to ultimately send you back the other way?
While I don't claim to fully understand it myself, I think the key is that there's a lot more force being applied during that boost back burn than you'd think based on the brightness of it. It's burning a TON of fuel during that little arc to turn itself around and start heading back to land. The thrusters flip it around, the main engines are used to make it actually change direction.

I think this diagram is at least reasonably accurate (though it's boosting back further to make it to land).

Also, another thing to keep in mind is that the first stage weighs MUCH less at that point than the original rocket did (given that there's no second stage at all, and a majority of the propellant has already been used up), so it's quite a bit easier to slow down than you might think.

Last edited by DaFace; 07-18-2016 at 10:05 AM..
Old 07-18-2016, 10:20 AM   #700

Quote:
While I don't claim to fully understand it myself, I think the key is that there's a lot more force being applied during that boost back burn than you'd think based on the brightness of it. It's burning a TON of fuel during that little arc to turn itself around and start heading back to land. The thrusters flip it around, the main engines are used to make it actually change direction.

I think this diagram is at least reasonably accurate (though it's boosting back further to make it to land).

Also, another thing to keep in mind is that the first stage weighs MUCH less at that point than the original rocket did (given that there's no second stage at all, and a majority of the propellant has already been used up), so it's quite a bit easier to slow down than you might think.
That makes sense actually. We know they do barge landings because they "don't have the fuel", but that not having fuel might be a combination of pushing a heavier load up, thus not having that amount of fuel to use on the boost back. And I found similar drawings for those barge-based landings, I just didn't find one that was noted-up like that for land-based landings.

Perhaps a trip to SpaceX (to ask questions) would be a wise vacation for me...

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk (so spelling be damned!!!)
Old 07-18-2016, 10:26 AM   #701
Kind of a mod

Official pics are up:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/spacex

-----

Also, the next launch will be JCSAT-16, but there's not an exact date for it yet - just "sometime in August." I'll take the countdown clock out of the OP until we have a firm date.

Last edited by DaFace; 07-18-2016 at 11:00 AM..
Old 07-22-2016, 01:49 AM   #702
Banned

eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 07-22-2016, 10:09 AM   #703

Quote:
Originally Posted by eDave View Post
Well that video clears-up how the stages boost back to land. Woot. Thanks..
Old 07-22-2016, 10:49 AM   #704
Kind of a mod

It's gonna be a hell of a sight to see, for sure. I'd almost make a vacation down to Florida to watch if it wasn't for the high likelihood of delays.
Old 07-22-2016, 12:36 PM   #705

Quote:
It's gonna be a hell of a sight to see, for sure. I'd almost make a vacation down to Florida to watch if it wasn't for the high likelihood of delays.
VPN? Telework?