Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room > Media Center
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Old 01-26-2014, 11:51 PM  
Resident Glue Sniffer

Megadeth > Metallica

To start off:
I'm a HUGE Metallica fan. In fact my first 5 years of playing electric guitar was solely based on Metallica. I started off playing Bluegrass guitar with my dad, even though my soul wasn't bluegrass.

My first exposure to Metallica was hearing "Nothing Else Matters" on MTV before school waiting for my buddy to pick me up for school. I asked my brother if he had ever heard of them, and of course he had. He handed me a tape that had zero information of it. in that all the 'font' (for lack of a better word) was gone. It was a simple 'blank" tape. It was weathered, and the only thing I could determine that it was a Metallica tape was simply my brother's word. It was Master of Puppets Within 4 weeks, I had owned everything of Metallica and had thrown bluegrass by the wayside.

Long loving Metallica fan for years; devoted. Having heard Megadeth and loving a few of their songs, I was still committed to Metallica. However, years later, I've discovered that I may have been premature in my categorization of music.

Years had passed since I had really 'listened' to Megadeth. Years, as in 10+. Then, I stumbled upon a Megadeth record. While it escapes my memory at this point, the collective memory of the tunes has lead me to the belief that Megadeth is better than Metalica.

While some, to what degree I don't know, may have always held this belief, the discovery of Megadeth is a new one for me. After listening to many records, Im beginning to feel more confident in saying that Megadeth is better. Obviously, it's subjective.

Metallica's "Black" Album is equivalent to Pink Floy'd "The Wall" in terms of impact. However, Megadeth's "Symphony of Destruction", has been severely over-shadowed by the 'Black" album of Metallica. Subsequently, as it had been up to that point, Megadeth had fallen by the wayside. "Symphony of Destructions' release around the same time, was over-shadowed by the Black album.

After what was a universal success of the Black album, Megadeth seemed to finally have received the kill shot. But, if we are to look at the records and time frame comparatively, I think Megadeth got the short end of the stick.

Since then, Megadeth has sustained their status despite radio and marketing support. I've listened to several Megadeth albums/tunes from the "Black" album going forward, and I must say they are not getting the credit that is due. In some aspects, they blow Metallica out of the water. To be honest, they are quickly surpassing Metallica.

I've always been a huge fan of Megadeth since the Mechanix type songs. But since Peace Sells Who's Buying album, Megadeth has gotten the shaft. By a LONG shot.

TLDR....but oh well.

Last edited by Dayze; 01-27-2014 at 12:07 AM..
Dayze is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dayze is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dayze is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dayze is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dayze is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dayze is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dayze is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dayze is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dayze is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dayze is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dayze is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-14-2021, 10:27 AM   #331
Needs more middle fingers

Quote:
Originally Posted by htismaqe View Post
And finally, who ****s to Metallica or Megadeth? Are you sleeping with 16 year olds?

Yeah i can't say ive EVER ****ed to metal.

Metallica/Megadeath qualify in the Drive-To/Play-To categories.

A song doesn't have to fit all the categories. It just needs to be useful in one.

My Spotify is a whirlwind of genres ranging from The Drifters all the way up to Migos and the latest from DJ Khaled and nearly every rock genre in between.

I'm more of a Punk guy than a Speed Metal guy, but my metal playlist is often used too.
ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-14-2021, 10:30 AM   #332
'Tis my eye!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detoxing View Post

Yeah i can't say ive EVER ****ed to metal.

Metallica/Megadeath qualify in the Drive-To/Play-To categories.

A song doesn't have to fit all the categories. It just needs to be useful in one.

My Spotify is a whirlwind of genres ranging from The Drifters all the way up to Migos and the latest from DJ Khaled and nearly every rock genre in between.

I'm more of a Punk guy than a Speed Metal guy, but my metal playlist is often used too.
And there you go.

I pretty much only listen to heavy rock and metal. To me, Metallica is pop music noise, like DJ Khaled.
htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-14-2021, 10:56 AM   #333
Supporter

Quote:
Megadeth is a symphony and Metallica is a garage band when it comes to instrumentation.
Absolutely agree 100%. But musicians hear and feel things differently than non-musicians. A high level of musicianship appeals to me far more than a low or much lower level of musicianship, but it can go both ways.

Over-the-top playing only appeals to me so much because it just becomes noise after a while. Simpler chord progressions and playing, as long as its not 12 year old garage band level, is enjoyable for capturing that simplicity and adding a layer of emotion that's not reachable when playing a million notes.

When I hear Metallica at their best, I hear pure, unadulterated anxiety, anger and aggression. They have a way of capturing those emotions and putting them in a 4 to 7 minute piece of music that's relatable and fungible.

When I hear Megadeth at their best, I hear nearly unparalleled musicianship, amazing note choices by Marty Friedman, excellent production and Mustaine's never ending conquest to be the best thrash band in the world, almost to the point where he's screaming "LOOK AT ME!!!!!!!!".

To me, they're both awesome and amazing bands but very, very different. I could never pick one over the other, except when it comes to my mood. Fortunately, both exist.
DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 11:06 AM   #334
In Search of a Life

How do you musician types feel about Slayer and Anthrax?

I haven’t listened to those bands in years. Should I give them a re-listen ?

Last edited by Deberg_1990; 05-14-2021 at 11:12 AM..
Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-14-2021, 11:11 AM   #335
Resident Glue Sniffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 View Post
This kid rocks! Which CP member is this?

awesome

"Free Metal"

lol
Dayze is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dayze is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dayze is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dayze is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dayze is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dayze is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dayze is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dayze is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dayze is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dayze is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dayze is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-14-2021, 11:12 AM   #336

Quote:
And there you go.

I pretty much only listen to heavy rock and metal. To me, Metallica is pop music noise, like DJ Khaled.
See, i dabble in all of it, but i don't hone in on any specific genre. I like everything from 40's bop to 70's punk, 80's glam rock, 70's rock, 90's, most eras of hip hop, down to weird shit like Retro-Synth Wave, Folk Punk fusion, neo metal....all that shit.

There's only two genres that i just can't get into: Reggae and that Hardcore Death Metal shit (i'm not even sure what you call that crap).
ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-14-2021, 11:14 AM   #337

Black Metal.

Sorry, had to google it. Yeah, you can keep that shit.
Old 05-14-2021, 11:19 AM   #338
'Tis my eye!

Quote:
Black Metal.

Sorry, had to google it. Yeah, you can keep that shit.
I'm not a big fan of pure black metal - too many blast beats and too much trem-picking.

I am a fan of some death metal though and definitely a fan of deathcore, which is a blend of death metal and metalcore. Metalcore is itself a blend of heavy metal and hardcore punk.
htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-14-2021, 11:19 AM   #339
'Tis my eye!

Quote:

Slayer is good and while I really like Anthrax back in the day, it hasn't aged well for me.

I'm really into Pantera right now, to be honest.
Old 05-14-2021, 11:20 AM   #340

Steel Panther, baby!
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 11:26 AM   #341
Supporter

Quote:
Steel Panther, baby!

It's so funny what that band and those guys have become. I've known them all since the first week of moving to Hollywood back in 1993 and something that was literally a joke has turned into a career for them.
DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-14-2021, 11:33 AM   #342

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud View Post

It's so funny what that band and those guys have become. I've known them all since the first week of moving to Hollywood back in 1993 and something that was literally a joke has turned into a career for them.
I ****ing love it. They captured the that 80's hair/glam metal sound to perfection while embracing the cheesiness of the era. Except their lyrics are wildly more entertaining and memorable than some of the real 80's glam bands.
Old 05-14-2021, 11:39 AM   #343
In Search of a Life

Quote:
Steel Panther, baby!
I had to look that up. I thought you were talking about the Mark Walberg movie.
Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-14-2021, 12:03 PM   #344
Court Jester

Quote:

Reign in Blood is probably my favorite album ever, although it’s not much longer than an EP. Slayer is definitely unique and twisted. I’ve mellowed out over the years so I mix in a lot more Bob Marley before I listen to Slayer.
Spott is obviously part of the inner Circle.Spott is obviously part of the inner Circle.Spott is obviously part of the inner Circle.Spott is obviously part of the inner Circle.Spott is obviously part of the inner Circle.Spott is obviously part of the inner Circle.Spott is obviously part of the inner Circle.Spott is obviously part of the inner Circle.Spott is obviously part of the inner Circle.Spott is obviously part of the inner Circle.Spott is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-14-2021, 12:22 PM   #345
In Search of a Life

If you listen to Mechanix and The Four Horseman, it is pretty clear:

Instruments - Megadeth.
Vocals and Lyrics - Metallica.

I always found Dave's voice a bit grating, so I never fully appreciated Megadeth. If you listen now, Megadeth is clearly the more consistent band that aged better.
Chiefnj2 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Chiefnj2 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Chiefnj2 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Chiefnj2 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Chiefnj2 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Chiefnj2 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Chiefnj2 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Chiefnj2 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Chiefnj2 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Chiefnj2 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Chiefnj2 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.