Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Old 03-04-2022, 08:15 AM  
synthesis2

EV Cars/Trucks

Since I was banned from the Gas thread for simply saying I was glad I have a EV car now I thought I'd answer the question that was posed to me by another before I was banned.(still have zero idea why.

We have a Model 3 long range, it gets around 340 miles per charge and our all in was 50k for the car, $500 for the Wall Charger (you don't need but its cool looking)

Our previous car was a Porsche Cayenne, here is what we spent in the year we owned it. My wife is a rep and uses as her company car. ( she gets paid mileage) so we paid 40k for it. Was a year old when we got it. She drove it 50K in a year, we had to use premium unleaded gas and it got around 18 miles per gallon. We had to get it serviced 3 times with a average cost of $500-700 on each service. I don't know how much we paid in gas but lets assume we still had it today and Premium was going for 4.50 a gallon, it would be around 12-14k on gas a year, along with $1500-2000 in services so our all in each year was 13.5-16k per year in service and gas.

With our Tesla our electricity has seemed to go up $40-50 per month, so lets call it $600 plus tires rotated $100, windshield wiper fluid $5 so for the year its around $800 vs. 13.5-16k.

So the 10k cost difference was made up in less than a year and now we are saving 12k plus per year compared. Plus she loves the car much more than the Porsche.

I know compared with a ford focus the math may not ever make sense but for a nicer car its been awesome for us.
synthesis2 has disabled reputation
Old 03-28-2024, 07:54 AM   #136
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by HemiEd View Post
Electric vehicle startup Fisker cuts base price of Ocean SUV to $24K as part of efforts to avoid bankruptcy; move comes after its stock was delisted this week from the New York Stock Exchange

Fisker Puts Its All-Electric Ocean SUV on Fire Sale, Slashing Prices By Tens of Thousands
An incredible 39 percent drop in price enrages current owners, but could newfound affordability intrigue potential ones?

https://www.motortrend.com/news/fisk...ice-cuts-sale/
Not surprising about Fisker. What is this, there third incarnation as a car company and the two previous versions bankrupted as well?
I'm surprised they have lasted as long as they have.
RedRaider56 threw an interception on a screen pass.RedRaider56 threw an interception on a screen pass.RedRaider56 threw an interception on a screen pass.RedRaider56 threw an interception on a screen pass.RedRaider56 threw an interception on a screen pass.RedRaider56 threw an interception on a screen pass.RedRaider56 threw an interception on a screen pass.RedRaider56 threw an interception on a screen pass.RedRaider56 threw an interception on a screen pass.RedRaider56 threw an interception on a screen pass.RedRaider56 threw an interception on a screen pass.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 10:17 AM   #137
The Seated Villain

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabbott View Post
I know Calfifornia has already considered a road tax "usage" tax that would be payed annually based on how many miles were driven. It didn't gain much ground; however, the closer we get to the 2035 all electric date, that will have to change as the amount of money raised by the gas tax will get less and less. I know I won't have to worry about that as I am eligible to leave California at the end of next year.
In Washington, I had to pay an extra registration fee because I won't be paying gas taxes. I think it was $175.
MagicHef wants to die in a aids tree fire.MagicHef wants to die in a aids tree fire.MagicHef wants to die in a aids tree fire.MagicHef wants to die in a aids tree fire.MagicHef wants to die in a aids tree fire.MagicHef wants to die in a aids tree fire.MagicHef wants to die in a aids tree fire.MagicHef wants to die in a aids tree fire.MagicHef wants to die in a aids tree fire.MagicHef wants to die in a aids tree fire.MagicHef wants to die in a aids tree fire.
Old 03-28-2024, 10:24 AM   #138
Kind of a mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicHef View Post
In Washington, I had to pay an extra registration fee because I won't be paying gas taxes. I think it was $175.
It's only $50 in Colorado, but I bet it'll go up over time as EVs make up a higher percentage of cars on the road.
DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 03-28-2024, 08:52 PM   #139
Future NBA Finals MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicHef View Post
That's ridiculous
BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 03-29-2024, 04:49 AM   #140
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWillie View Post
That's ridiculous
You do realize the gas taxes are used for road construction and maintenance, right?

You expect a FREE RIDE?

HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 03-29-2024, 06:45 AM   #141
Future NBA Finals MVP

Quote:
You do realize the gas taxes are used for road construction and maintenance, right?

You expect a FREE RIDE?

You would think you would be more thankful to the people that are helping lower the price of YOUR gas.
BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 03-29-2024, 07:21 AM   #142
In Search of a Life

My gas prices are going up because the number of sheep that have switched to electric isn't big enough to cause dent in demand.

EV is not the future. They are never going to replace IC engines. Let me know when hydrogen, or some other "clean" method that mirrors IC, starts becoming a mainstream push. Then I might take an interest.
jd1020 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.jd1020 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.jd1020 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.jd1020 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.jd1020 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.jd1020 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.jd1020 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.jd1020 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.jd1020 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.jd1020 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.jd1020 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.
Thumbs Up 3 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 08:22 AM   #143
MVP

Quote:

You expect a FREE RIDE?
"You didn't build that"
neech 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.neech 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.neech 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.neech 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.neech 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.neech 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.neech 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.neech 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.neech 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.neech 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.neech 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.
Old 03-29-2024, 08:47 AM   #144
Future NBA Finals MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd1020 View Post
My gas prices are going up because the number of sheep that have switched to electric isn't big enough to cause dent in demand.

EV is not the future. They are never going to replace IC engines. Let me know when hydrogen, or some other "clean" method that mirrors IC, starts becoming a mainstream push. Then I might take an interest.
Ah yes supply and demand does not exist? It is true that gas is extremely inelastic but I assure you if Tesla, Prius, and other hybrid/electric cars did not exist your gas prices would be higher.

Just say thank you. Its ok. Gas serves a purpose as do EVs.
Old 03-29-2024, 08:55 AM   #145
Kind of a mod

Quote:

You expect a FREE RIDE?
To be fair, there's nothing set in stone that says that's the way roads SHOULD be financed. Some states don't have income taxes, but they have higher property and/or sales taxes - they can choose how they want it to work.

In a distant future where EVs are the majority, states could possibly choose to pay for road maintenance from other sources. And sure, you could argue that paying for it from gas taxes is the most "fair" way of doing it, but I don't get a break on my taxes because I don't have kids who go to school and don't go to parks very often.

In the meantime, I don't have an issue with (reasonable) registration fees for EVs, but the model at its core doesn't HAVE to stay that way.
DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 03-29-2024, 09:01 AM   #146
Supporter

EV's should have an extra charge added to their annual license registration to account for their lack of paying a gasoline tax. Or is that already a thing?
mlyonsd is obviously part of the inner Circle.mlyonsd is obviously part of the inner Circle.mlyonsd is obviously part of the inner Circle.mlyonsd is obviously part of the inner Circle.mlyonsd is obviously part of the inner Circle.mlyonsd is obviously part of the inner Circle.mlyonsd is obviously part of the inner Circle.mlyonsd is obviously part of the inner Circle.mlyonsd is obviously part of the inner Circle.mlyonsd is obviously part of the inner Circle.mlyonsd is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 2 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 09:01 AM   #147
Kind of a mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlyonsd View Post
EV's should have an extra charge added to their annual license registration to account for their lack of paying a gasoline tax. Or is that already a thing?
It's almost like that's what the past ~15 posts in this thread have been discussing.
Old 03-29-2024, 11:54 AM   #148
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFace View Post
To be fair, there's nothing set in stone that says that's the way roads SHOULD be financed. Some states don't have income taxes, but they have higher property and/or sales taxes - they can choose how they want it to work.
We recently learned that the hard way as we were going to move to Texas to be closer to grandkids. They have no personal income tax and their property taxes are similar to Illinois and California, through the roof.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFace View Post
In a distant future where EVs are the majority, states could possibly choose to pay for road maintenance from other sources. And sure, you could argue that paying for it from gas taxes is the most "fair" way of doing it, but I don't get a break on my taxes because I don't have kids who go to school and don't go to parks very often.

In the meantime, I don't have an issue with (reasonable) registration fees for EVs, but the model at its core doesn't HAVE to stay that way.
Same here, been paying school taxes for many years and my kids graduated in 91 and 94.
Bottom line, they are going to get it somewhere. There is a ground swell here in Missouri to remove personal property tax, but I would bet it would result in an increase in property tax or some other venue.
HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 03-29-2024, 12:01 PM   #149
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWillie View Post
You would think you would be more thankful to the people that are helping lower the price of YOUR gas.
Like that has any impact whatsoever. I am going to stop now before this thread ends up in D.C.
Old 03-29-2024, 12:08 PM   #150
Fish are scared of me

Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.