Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Old 05-09-2021, 08:10 PM  
Supporter

Just got my first pellet smoker. Any tips?

Honestly, I wasn't even looking for one, but I was at Sam's Club on Saturday and their demo company was selling the Z-grill700-2F. The guy pitched it to me and I was sold. The fact that he had one left in the box, and 2 already built displays left, one which I was able to buy, closed the deal. The price was great too. It was only $399. They have the same model on the company website, on sale, for $529.
Anyway. I brought it home and immediately burned it in and grilled some steaks and pork chops on it, which turned out great. I plan to smoke a brisket or rubs on it this weekend. I watched some videos on YouTube. One guy smoked his ribs using the 4--1-1 method. Smoke 4 hours at 225, wrap in foil and add water. Cook for another hour, remove the foil, add BBQ sauce and smoke for another hour. I've never tried that method. Sounds like a short cut to get them tender in half the time. Do any of you like that method?
I know that you guys are the kings of all things BBQ, so any pointers would be greatly appreciated. It sounds like this is going to make smoking a breeze. Fill the hopper, set the PID, and go. Is it really that easy with pellet smokers?
jjchieffan is obviously part of the inner Circle.jjchieffan is obviously part of the inner Circle.jjchieffan is obviously part of the inner Circle.jjchieffan is obviously part of the inner Circle.jjchieffan is obviously part of the inner Circle.jjchieffan is obviously part of the inner Circle.jjchieffan is obviously part of the inner Circle.jjchieffan is obviously part of the inner Circle.jjchieffan is obviously part of the inner Circle.jjchieffan is obviously part of the inner Circle.jjchieffan is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-31-2021, 06:33 AM   #91
Mammoth penis

Anyone tried out the Masterbuilt Gravity Series? Same idea as a pellet grill but uses lump or briquette charcoal instead of pellets. Supposedly produces more smoke flavor than a pellet grill with the same ease of use. I guess they've been out for over a year now but I just heard about them.
MTG#10 is obviously part of the inner Circle.MTG#10 is obviously part of the inner Circle.MTG#10 is obviously part of the inner Circle.MTG#10 is obviously part of the inner Circle.MTG#10 is obviously part of the inner Circle.MTG#10 is obviously part of the inner Circle.MTG#10 is obviously part of the inner Circle.MTG#10 is obviously part of the inner Circle.MTG#10 is obviously part of the inner Circle.MTG#10 is obviously part of the inner Circle.MTG#10 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-31-2021, 07:03 AM   #92
In Search of a Life

Open the lid when it's got a lot of heating up to do until the main firing is done. Play with the p setting. It's easy for the auto temp control to get way too hot
chiefzilla1501 is obviously part of the inner Circle.chiefzilla1501 is obviously part of the inner Circle.chiefzilla1501 is obviously part of the inner Circle.chiefzilla1501 is obviously part of the inner Circle.chiefzilla1501 is obviously part of the inner Circle.chiefzilla1501 is obviously part of the inner Circle.chiefzilla1501 is obviously part of the inner Circle.chiefzilla1501 is obviously part of the inner Circle.chiefzilla1501 is obviously part of the inner Circle.chiefzilla1501 is obviously part of the inner Circle.chiefzilla1501 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-31-2021, 09:19 AM   #93
Ain't no relax!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 View Post
Open the lid when it's got a lot of heating up to do until the main firing is done.
Whaat?
Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-31-2021, 10:06 AM   #94
In Search of a Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTG#10 View Post
Anyone tried out the Masterbuilt Gravity Series? Same idea as a pellet grill but uses lump or briquette charcoal instead of pellets. Supposedly produces more smoke flavor than a pellet grill with the same ease of use. I guess they've been out for over a year now but I just heard about them.
I have a 560. What do you need to know?
BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.
Old 05-31-2021, 11:03 AM   #95
Mammoth penis

Do you like it? How does it compare to a regular charcoal/wood smoker as far as smoke flavor?
MTG#10 is obviously part of the inner Circle.MTG#10 is obviously part of the inner Circle.MTG#10 is obviously part of the inner Circle.MTG#10 is obviously part of the inner Circle.MTG#10 is obviously part of the inner Circle.MTG#10 is obviously part of the inner Circle.MTG#10 is obviously part of the inner Circle.MTG#10 is obviously part of the inner Circle.MTG#10 is obviously part of the inner Circle.MTG#10 is obviously part of the inner Circle.MTG#10 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-31-2021, 01:23 PM   #96
Supporter

I used the heck out of it this weekend. I love it. I think that I'm going to invest in a smoke tube though. I would like a little stronger smoke flavor.
jjchieffan is obviously part of the inner Circle.jjchieffan is obviously part of the inner Circle.jjchieffan is obviously part of the inner Circle.jjchieffan is obviously part of the inner Circle.jjchieffan is obviously part of the inner Circle.jjchieffan is obviously part of the inner Circle.jjchieffan is obviously part of the inner Circle.jjchieffan is obviously part of the inner Circle.jjchieffan is obviously part of the inner Circle.jjchieffan is obviously part of the inner Circle.jjchieffan is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 02:08 PM   #97
In Search of a Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish View Post
Whaat?
When it needs to get from 0 to 225, found out the hard way that it can overheat if you close the lid since it's working real hard to get to temperature. Especially if there's any grease, like if in mid cook your temperature drops because you ran out of pellets or your p setting is way off.

Thats just been my experience though. Maybe not everyone else's. seems like opening ths lid during the initial fire up is generally a good practice.
chiefzilla1501 is obviously part of the inner Circle.chiefzilla1501 is obviously part of the inner Circle.chiefzilla1501 is obviously part of the inner Circle.chiefzilla1501 is obviously part of the inner Circle.chiefzilla1501 is obviously part of the inner Circle.chiefzilla1501 is obviously part of the inner Circle.chiefzilla1501 is obviously part of the inner Circle.chiefzilla1501 is obviously part of the inner Circle.chiefzilla1501 is obviously part of the inner Circle.chiefzilla1501 is obviously part of the inner Circle.chiefzilla1501 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-31-2021, 02:29 PM   #98
Mammoth penis

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjchieffan View Post
I used the heck out of it this weekend. I love it. I think that I'm going to invest in a smoke tube though. I would like a little stronger smoke flavor.
I have one but I cant seem to keep it lit while inside my pellet smoker. I dont know if its the air circulating through extinguishing it or what. Admittedly, I've only tried it twice for overnight cooks but both times when I opened the lid the next morning I found it still 2/3 full of unlit pellets.

I also have an electric smoker that I've used for years with a "mailbox mod" (google it) and when in the mailbox it always stayed lit all the way through so I know its not user error.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 06:03 PM   #99
In Search of a Life

Quote:
Do you like it? How does it compare to a regular charcoal/wood smoker as far as smoke flavor?
I like it. Much better flavor than a pellet or other type of electric smoker and easier to use than a stick burner.

I would recommend getting the 800 series as it's the newest one and they have improved on some of the issues the 560/1050 had. Also comes with a griddle insert.

I have had it for about a year and no regrets leaving a pellet grill behind for it. Not as set it and forget it as a pellet grill, though.
BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.
Old 05-31-2021, 06:05 PM   #100
Veteran

Quote:
I have one but I cant seem to keep it lit while inside my pellet smoker. I dont know if its the air circulating through extinguishing it or what. Admittedly, I've only tried it twice for overnight cooks but both times when I opened the lid the next morning I found it still 2/3 full of unlit pellets.

I also have an electric smoker that I've used for years with a "mailbox mod" (google it) and when in the mailbox it always stayed lit all the way through so I know its not user error.
I had that problem. You need to let it burn for a bit before blowing it out.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Sorce is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Sorce is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Sorce is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Sorce is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Sorce is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Sorce is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Sorce is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Sorce is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Sorce is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Sorce is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Sorce is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.
Old 05-31-2021, 07:42 PM   #101
Supporter

I bought this bad boy and will get to fire it up within the next few weeks. https://memphisgrills.com/shop/built...-pro-built-in/
IA_Chiefs_fan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.IA_Chiefs_fan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.IA_Chiefs_fan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.IA_Chiefs_fan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.IA_Chiefs_fan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.IA_Chiefs_fan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.IA_Chiefs_fan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.IA_Chiefs_fan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.IA_Chiefs_fan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.IA_Chiefs_fan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.IA_Chiefs_fan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.
Old 06-01-2021, 11:38 AM   #102
Mammoth penis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorce View Post
I had that problem. You need to let it burn for a bit before blowing it out.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Oh I do, I let it get going good before putting it in. I'll try it again this weekend and put it on the other side of my grill, not sure if it'll make a difference but worth a shot.
Old 06-02-2021, 05:33 AM   #103
Starter

I am thinking of getting the Grilla Grills Chimp. Any thoughts on this one? I feel like wood pellets, and wifi is cheating, but soo much easier!
RocKhawks is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutRocKhawks is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutRocKhawks is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutRocKhawks is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutRocKhawks is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutRocKhawks is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutRocKhawks is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutRocKhawks is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutRocKhawks is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutRocKhawks is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutRocKhawks is the dumbass Milkman is always talking about
Old 06-02-2021, 08:03 AM   #104
MVP

Quote:
Oh I do, I let it get going good before putting it in. I'll try it again this weekend and put it on the other side of my grill, not sure if it'll make a difference but worth a shot.
I torch the shit out of mine and let it burn for 10-15 minutes easy while standing up, then turn it over super slowly so the pellets don't move. I also set mine in a disposable aluminum pan (buckle the bottom a bit) to avoid dumping ash everywhere.
unlurking Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.unlurking Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.unlurking Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.unlurking Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.unlurking Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.unlurking Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.unlurking Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.unlurking Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.unlurking Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.unlurking Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.unlurking Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.
Old 06-02-2021, 09:02 AM   #105
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocKhawks View Post
I am thinking of getting the Grilla Grills Chimp. Any thoughts on this one? I feel like wood pellets, and wifi is cheating, but soo much easier!
I have the Grilla OG. Love it. Works and smokes like a beast
tooge is obviously part of the inner Circle.tooge is obviously part of the inner Circle.tooge is obviously part of the inner Circle.tooge is obviously part of the inner Circle.tooge is obviously part of the inner Circle.tooge is obviously part of the inner Circle.tooge is obviously part of the inner Circle.tooge is obviously part of the inner Circle.tooge is obviously part of the inner Circle.tooge is obviously part of the inner Circle.tooge is obviously part of the inner Circle.