Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Old 04-06-2020, 11:40 PM  
The Maintenance Guy

Any stereo speaker experts around here?

Or at least someone more knowledgeable than me anyway.

Since I, like everyone else, have been spending more time at home, I'm getting around to projects that have been sitting around for a while. I've been wanting replacement woofers for some cool older Optimus speakers and I'm having trouble finding an exact match. First off, I'm not even sure how to measure for size, I think they're 4 1/2"? Or do I measure the metal frame of the speaker as well?

Also, the impedance printed on the speaker itself says 6 ohms, but the data plate on the cabinet says 8 ohms. Which is it? And the wattage says 65 with a max of 130. So anything in between is ok? Or do I want to look for 65?

Any help is appreciated!

Pics for reference:

Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-06-2020, 11:59 PM   #2
Rookie

those would be 4.5 Single 8 Ohm parts express would be your friend
scorpion8686kc is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.scorpion8686kc is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.scorpion8686kc is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.scorpion8686kc is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.scorpion8686kc is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.scorpion8686kc is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 1     Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 12:28 AM   #3
Fight, build, win!

May just need re-foamed.
https://www.ebay.com/i/114158494294?...hoC44sQAvD_BwE

Do a google search Optimus Pro LX511 there will be some replacement speaks there.

Parts express used to be good but they have cut way back on what they carry. Used to be there Dayton line of speakers had something for everyone.
srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-07-2020, 01:36 AM   #4
Fight, build, win!

Also speakers are measured in diameter to the outermost edge of the housing.frame. Not to the outer edge of cone or outside edge of of surround ring that Bug needs replaced.

In Bugs case he would measure outside edge frame frame both ways to see if same nearest outside edges. I suspect it's a 5 or 5 1/2 inch woofer.

Bugs I think those Optimus were made by RCA for Radio Shack and sold by RCA as as their model Optimus pro LX5. May be a chance rca parts would have them still since radio shack is worthless now days.

typed with my trusty nose picker using Tapatalk
srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 2 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 03:05 AM   #5
Snacks Are Under My Apron

Buy Denon or Yamaha

Optimus was a Radio Shack brand, right?
threebag is obviously part of the inner Circle.threebag is obviously part of the inner Circle.threebag is obviously part of the inner Circle.threebag is obviously part of the inner Circle.threebag is obviously part of the inner Circle.threebag is obviously part of the inner Circle.threebag is obviously part of the inner Circle.threebag is obviously part of the inner Circle.threebag is obviously part of the inner Circle.threebag is obviously part of the inner Circle.threebag is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-07-2020, 06:09 AM   #6
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvy View Post
May just need re-foamed.
https://www.ebay.com/i/114158494294?...hoC44sQAvD_BwE

Do a google search Optimus Pro LX511 there will be some replacement speaks there.

Parts express used to be good but they have cut way back on what they carry. Used to be there Dayton line of speakers had something for everyone.
They still have the Dayton line of speakers......
notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-07-2020, 06:16 AM   #7
Mod Team

I only know about Camero speakers!!!
lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-07-2020, 06:20 AM   #8
Hockey Town

I haven't seen anything like these in quite awhile, I've been looking to upgrade to the Sonos speakers, things are stupid expensive though.
Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-07-2020, 06:24 AM   #9
Reset

Damn..I haven’t had anything like that in years. I have a 10 speaker system hooked up to my desktop with one subwoofer and 9 smaller speakers and that’s about 15 years old
2112 is obviously part of the inner Circle.2112 is obviously part of the inner Circle.2112 is obviously part of the inner Circle.2112 is obviously part of the inner Circle.2112 is obviously part of the inner Circle.2112 is obviously part of the inner Circle.2112 is obviously part of the inner Circle.2112 is obviously part of the inner Circle.2112 is obviously part of the inner Circle.2112 is obviously part of the inner Circle.2112 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-07-2020, 06:31 AM   #10
The Maintenance Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by threebag02 View Post
Buy Denon or Yamaha

Optimus was a Radio Shack brand, right?
Yep, and for the most part the Radio Shack stuff was really good, it just wasn't worth the absurd prices they charged for it.

If I was buying new I'd lean strongly towards Yamaha for sure, but I'd kinda like to save these because they have a cool ribbon tweeter on top, nothing else out there like them that I know about.
Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 06:33 AM   #11
The Maintenance Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewdog View Post
I only know about Camero speakers!!!
Camero has the kickass factory Bose system, don't need to touch that.

(cue the Bose haters....I know you're out there)
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 06:36 AM   #12
The Maintenance Guy

Well shit, srvy was right about them being built by RCA, went to google up a pic of the tweeter and these came up. Same exact speaker branded by RCA instead.

Old 04-07-2020, 06:54 AM   #13
Supporter

Oh yeah, The Shack rocked RCA, Optimus, and 1000% markup adapters.
notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-07-2020, 06:58 AM   #14
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugeater View Post
Yep, and for the most part the Radio Shack stuff was really good, it just wasn't worth the absurd prices they charged for it.
I have a 1979 Realistic Lab-500 turntable. It’s fantastic. Bought it for $25 at an estate sale several years back. It’s been my primary turntable since the day I hooked it up. A lot of the 60s and 70s Radio Shack stuff was of great quality.
penchief 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellipenchief 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellipenchief 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellipenchief 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellipenchief 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellipenchief 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellipenchief 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellipenchief 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellipenchief 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellipenchief 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellipenchief 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitelli
Thumbs Up 2 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 07:04 AM   #15
It was not a fair catch

Radio Shack contracted with a lot of companies to make their stuff. Sound, phones, answering machines, toys.

I worked there in the waning days of RS.
I think it was Hamas that worked there in the better days.
displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.