Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Old 04-03-2020, 08:50 AM  
Andy Reid Supporter

Chiefs draft rumor & plans for virtual draft

Saw some news today I thought I’d share.

From Matt Miller’s article this morning:

Quote:
KANSAS CITY: The word on the scouting streets is that general manager Brett Veach wants to add more premium targets for Patrick Mahomes at quarterback, but don't rule out a trade back from No. 32 overall. Many sources around the league believe the Chiefs could move out of the first and pick up valuable Day 2 selections to pick up starter-level players at cornerback and running back.
From Nate Taylor (yes the athletic is free right now):

Quote:

In the past couple of weeks, after coaches, team personnel and players were encouraged to work from home, Reid, 62, has enjoyed learning the videoconference technology from companies such as Zoom and Webex. He, along with Veach, have interviewed some draft prospects via Webex. Coaches meetings have taken place on Zoom.

Reid knows it’s possible the Chiefs could make their draft selections with everyone at their respective homes. Teams were informed by the league Thursday that coaches, executives and scouts might be allowed to return to their facility for the draft with only 10 people in each room and everyone distanced at least 6 feet apart. The New Orleans Saints have planned to hold their war room at a brewery. Reid said the Chiefs are considering having their war room at a local hotel with certain people in different rooms.

“We haven’t put our finger down on one thing as of yet,” Reid said. “We’re approaching it like we’re having a season. At the same time, we’re very sensitive to everything going on.”

Reid agreed with the league’s decision to not postpone the draft. Beyond interviewing prospects via Webex, Reid is confident that Veach and the team’s scouting department can properly evaluate the talent in this year’s draft class. And when asked whether the draft could uplift fans’ emotions during the pandemic, Reid believed one of the league’s biggest annual events can be a welcome distraction.
The hotel idea sounds great.
RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-04-2020, 05:50 PM   #91
MVP

Hardman will NEVER be a replacement for Sammy. Not only do they play completely different positions they are asked to do completely different things.

And he shouldn't be one either. Having Hardman is a luxury but if we lose Sammy we need a big X receiver to replace him.

And no, Pringle isn't the guy either. Robinson currently backs up Sammy.
Kiimo 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Kiimo 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Kiimo 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Kiimo 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Kiimo 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Kiimo 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Kiimo 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Kiimo 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Kiimo 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Kiimo 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Kiimo 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.
Old 04-04-2020, 06:10 PM   #92
pie is never free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiimosabi View Post
Hardman will NEVER be a replacement for Sammy. Not only do they play completely different positions they are asked to do completely different things.

And he shouldn't be one either. Having Hardman is a luxury but if we lose Sammy we need a big X receiver to replace him.

And no, Pringle isn't the guy either. Robinson currently backs up Sammy.
All of THIS
Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-04-2020, 06:16 PM   #93
Black Bob's daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud View Post
I thoroughly disagree with your "take".

The Chiefs just won the Super Bowl with a rotating offensive line from Left Tackle to Right Guard, yet so many of you people think the Chiefs need to spend high draft capital on a center or guard.

That's just dumb.
The Chiefs also just won the Super Bowl with a well below average linebacker group, does that mean it's fine as is? I don't understand the idea that because it worked last year, the exact same formula will work again next year.

That rotating OL contributed to Mahomes getting injured and hobbled for a good chunk of the season and led to the offense being stymied for a while until we got healthy again. We can't have another Cam Erving being our backup LT again.
OKchiefs is not part of the Right 53.OKchiefs is not part of the Right 53.OKchiefs is not part of the Right 53.OKchiefs is not part of the Right 53.OKchiefs is not part of the Right 53.OKchiefs is not part of the Right 53.OKchiefs is not part of the Right 53.OKchiefs is not part of the Right 53.OKchiefs is not part of the Right 53.OKchiefs is not part of the Right 53.OKchiefs is not part of the Right 53.
Old 04-04-2020, 06:21 PM   #94
Black Bob's daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy 6 View Post
I love Hardman, but am not yet convinced he can handle full time #2 duties at 5’10 185... he’s not built like a little tank, like Reek
I don't totally disagree with that, but then that kind of leads me to question why he was our top pick just a year ago?

Something just doesn't add up. We Hardman for another 3 years, and Hill for a while too. People keep saying that Mahomes can make receivers look better. If that's the case, and we already have significant capital at WR, do we really need to draft a WR high in the draft every year when we continually ignore other positions? I'd be fine with a WR in the 3-4 range, and I guess I would be fine if that was just the most logical pick based on BPA in the 1-2 range, but I wouldn't love it.
OKchiefs is not part of the Right 53.OKchiefs is not part of the Right 53.OKchiefs is not part of the Right 53.OKchiefs is not part of the Right 53.OKchiefs is not part of the Right 53.OKchiefs is not part of the Right 53.OKchiefs is not part of the Right 53.OKchiefs is not part of the Right 53.OKchiefs is not part of the Right 53.OKchiefs is not part of the Right 53.OKchiefs is not part of the Right 53.
Old 04-04-2020, 06:29 PM   #95
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKchiefs View Post
The Chiefs also just won the Super Bowl with a well below average linebacker group, does that mean it's fine as is? I don't understand the idea that because it worked last year, the exact same formula will work again next year.
Again, it would be a foolish waste of critical resources to reach for players because you think there is a need.

Quote:
That rotating OL contributed to Mahomes getting injured and hobbled for a good chunk of the season and led to the offense being stymied for a while until we got healthy again.
Mahomes' worst injury occurred on a QB sneak and no lineman were at fault.

And if the Chiefs had a true #1 Feature RB, they most likely wouldn't have lost against the Colts, Texans or Titans during the regular season, despite Mahomes not being 100% for those games.

Quote:
We can't have another Cam Erving being our backup LT again.
Cam Erving was released and there are few teams, if any, that have capable backup left tackles.
DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-04-2020, 06:30 PM   #96
pie is never free

Quote:
I don't totally disagree with that, but then that kind of leads me to question why he was our top pick just a year ago?

Something just doesn't add up. We Hardman for another 3 years, and Hill for a while too. People keep saying that Mahomes can make receivers look better. If that's the case, and we already have significant capital at WR, do we really need to draft a WR high in the draft every year when we continually ignore other positions? I'd be fine with a WR in the 3-4 range, and I guess I would be fine if that was just the most logical pick based on BPA in the 1-2 range, but I wouldn't love it.
He was picked because the team thought the NFL was going bury Tyreek Hill alive... so now we have another diminutive luxury item, a nice problem to have obviously

But when Sammy goes, I’m not interested in fielding a 3 receiver set full of Smurfs... bigger bodies present different problems to a defense
Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-04-2020, 06:36 PM   #97
M-I-Z-Z-O-U

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman View Post
I'm not saying to take the 10th best OL over a #4 WR, what I am saying is look at the options available at #32. If the best option is a #4 LB, take that guy over the #4 WR. If the best option is a #1 or 2 OL, yes you take him instead of a skill player. A "highly skilled" WR isn't going to be much of a protection blocker.

The 4th best WR in this draft would have been the TOP WR in the past 2-3 drafts and a top 10 pick.

The #4 LB is definitely a second round talent. Maybe a 3rd.

If you take a WR at 32, you can draft a real star who also helps your offense maintain dominance in 2021. If you draft the best IOL available, you may be reaching for a guy who wouldn’t crack the top 40 picks in most other drafts.

Same holds true with RBs who fit this offense - primarily Swift and Dobbins, who are badass receiving threats.

Locking in on positions is dangerous. Veach is aggressive enough to move around - up and down - to ensure he gets guys in the range they’re supposed to go without reaching and sacrificing draft capital.
duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-04-2020, 06:37 PM   #98
In Search of a Life

I could get on board with Dobbins at 32.
O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-04-2020, 06:42 PM   #99
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by O.city View Post
I could get on board with Dobbins at 32.
Dobbins, Swift or Taylor at #32 would be fine with me, although it seems like CPer's don't mention Taylor in that same breath.

Is that because he plays for a team that isn't on national TV every week or am I unaware of issues with him?
DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-04-2020, 06:48 PM   #100
M-I-Z-Z-O-U

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud View Post
Dobbins, Swift or Taylor at #32 would be fine with me, although it seems like CPer's don't mention Taylor in that same breath.

Is that because he plays for a team that isn't on national TV every week or am I unaware of issues with him?

Taylor has fumbling issues and a crazy workload at Wisconsin. It knocks him down a tick for me compared to the other two.

Swift is the most versatile. Dobbins is the most dynamic zone runner. Taylor has the best home run hitting ability.

All really good, just in different ways.
duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-04-2020, 06:53 PM   #101
MVP

It is very likely that the 4th best WR in this draft, or at least the 4th taken, will be Justin Jefferson.

In fact, some mocks have him going as the SIXTH wide receiver.

I cannot stress enough what a goddam ****ing STUD that guy is.

If for some screwed up reason he fell to even the 20s I would want the Chiefs to trade UP to grab him.

No linebacker in this draft is as good as him and that includes Isiah Simmons but only because I think Simmons isn't really a linebacker. And Simmons is going top ten anyway, maybe top 5.

Anyway that's how good this receiver class is.
Kiimo 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Kiimo 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Kiimo 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Kiimo 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Kiimo 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Kiimo 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Kiimo 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Kiimo 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Kiimo 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Kiimo 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Kiimo 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.
Old 04-04-2020, 07:06 PM   #102
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho View Post
Taylor has fumbling issues and a crazy workload at Wisconsin. It knocks him down a tick for me compared to the other two.

Swift is the most versatile. Dobbins is the most dynamic zone runner. Taylor has the best home run hitting ability.

All really good, just in different ways.
Taylor's size and speed are his most appealing aspects to me. I realize he's had nearly 1,000 touches at Wisconsin but the guy hasn't missed a game due to injury.

I hadn't heard about his fumbling so I'd imagine that's a bit of a concern, although I'd like to think that Reid, Bienemy and Deland McCullough could help him to eliminate those mistakes.

I really like Cam Akers as well and wonder if the Mock Draft guys are sleeping on him because he looks closer to a mid-2nd rounder than a 3rd round guy, at least to me.
Old 04-04-2020, 07:07 PM   #103
In Search of a Life

I like Akers more than Taylor. I am leery of a RB with that much wear on the tires in college.

I'd really like one of the top 2 or 3 ILB"s to be there at 32, but thats not likely.
O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-04-2020, 07:08 PM   #104
In Search of a Life

There's a WR from Michigan, can't remember his name, that tested off the charts athletically. He was with Patterson at QB who was awful, so he might be a worthwhile pick in round 3 or 4.
Old 04-04-2020, 07:09 PM   #105
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiimosabi View Post
Anyway that's how good this receiver class is.
Yeah, if Jefferson and Aiyuk and Dobbins and Swift are sitting at #32, I could see Veach moving back a few slots, especially if one of the QB's have dropped, to grab one of those four guys.

Any of those guys would make for an outstanding selection and it's just a damn shame that the Chiefs won't have a chance to get a pair of them.