Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Old 01-01-2022, 11:07 AM  
The Insider

***Official 2022 Royals Season Repository Thread***

For all things Royals in 2022. #3 minor league system according to Baseball America. The Bobby Witt era should begin this year. Will Salvy still be the homerun king? How does the glut of infield players work out? Will the young pitchers take the next step?

Free Agents/Trades Acquisitions
Zack Greinke, P
Amir Garrett, P
Taylor Clarke, P

Top 10 Prospects from Baseball America
1. Bobby Witt, SS
2. Asa Lacy, P
3. MJ Melendez, C
4. Nick Pratto, 1B
5. Jackson Kowar, P
6. Kyle Isabel, OF
7. Frank Mozzicato, P
8. Ben Kudrna, P
9. Jonathan Bowlan, P
10. Vinnie Pasquantino, 1B

Duncan's Top Royals Prospects
Spoiler!

Last edited by ChiefsCountry; 04-03-2022 at 01:56 PM..
ChiefsCountry is obviously part of the inner Circle.ChiefsCountry is obviously part of the inner Circle.ChiefsCountry is obviously part of the inner Circle.ChiefsCountry is obviously part of the inner Circle.ChiefsCountry is obviously part of the inner Circle.ChiefsCountry is obviously part of the inner Circle.ChiefsCountry is obviously part of the inner Circle.ChiefsCountry is obviously part of the inner Circle.ChiefsCountry is obviously part of the inner Circle.ChiefsCountry is obviously part of the inner Circle.ChiefsCountry is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-19-2022, 02:39 PM   #706
Custom User Title

I'd be surprised if Santana was outright cut this early, but wouldn't surprise me if they took a lotto ticket for him.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk
kstater threw an interception on a screen pass.kstater threw an interception on a screen pass.kstater threw an interception on a screen pass.kstater threw an interception on a screen pass.kstater threw an interception on a screen pass.kstater threw an interception on a screen pass.kstater threw an interception on a screen pass.kstater threw an interception on a screen pass.kstater threw an interception on a screen pass.kstater threw an interception on a screen pass.kstater threw an interception on a screen pass.
Old 04-19-2022, 03:02 PM   #707
Debunking your bullshit

This doesn't sound good.
cosmo20002 is obviously part of the inner Circle.cosmo20002 is obviously part of the inner Circle.cosmo20002 is obviously part of the inner Circle.cosmo20002 is obviously part of the inner Circle.cosmo20002 is obviously part of the inner Circle.cosmo20002 is obviously part of the inner Circle.cosmo20002 is obviously part of the inner Circle.cosmo20002 is obviously part of the inner Circle.cosmo20002 is obviously part of the inner Circle.cosmo20002 is obviously part of the inner Circle.cosmo20002 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-19-2022, 04:25 PM   #708
Herm is the worst...horrible

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmo20002 View Post

This doesn't sound good.
Unlike 2020, we have Melendez if Salvy ends up missing time on the IL.
dallaschiefsfan has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.dallaschiefsfan has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.dallaschiefsfan has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.dallaschiefsfan has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.dallaschiefsfan has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.dallaschiefsfan has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.dallaschiefsfan has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.dallaschiefsfan has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.dallaschiefsfan has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.dallaschiefsfan has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.dallaschiefsfan has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.
Old 04-20-2022, 07:46 PM   #709
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prison Bitch View Post
A quality start is 6ip 3er

For us it’s 4ip 6er
Lynch just gave us 5ip 4hits 0er

That better?
TomBarndtsTwin is obviously part of the inner Circle.TomBarndtsTwin is obviously part of the inner Circle.TomBarndtsTwin is obviously part of the inner Circle.TomBarndtsTwin is obviously part of the inner Circle.TomBarndtsTwin is obviously part of the inner Circle.TomBarndtsTwin is obviously part of the inner Circle.TomBarndtsTwin is obviously part of the inner Circle.TomBarndtsTwin is obviously part of the inner Circle.TomBarndtsTwin is obviously part of the inner Circle.TomBarndtsTwin is obviously part of the inner Circle.TomBarndtsTwin is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-20-2022, 07:53 PM   #710
Champs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBarndtsTwin View Post
Lynch just gave us 5ip 4hits 0er

That better?
Not speaking for PB as he/she is on it's own.

Lynch was better today. He utilized his sliders more, and that worked to his advantage.
Coach is obviously part of the inner Circle.Coach is obviously part of the inner Circle.Coach is obviously part of the inner Circle.Coach is obviously part of the inner Circle.Coach is obviously part of the inner Circle.Coach is obviously part of the inner Circle.Coach is obviously part of the inner Circle.Coach is obviously part of the inner Circle.Coach is obviously part of the inner Circle.Coach is obviously part of the inner Circle.Coach is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-20-2022, 07:58 PM   #711
Everything is Awesome!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach View Post
Not speaking for PB as he/she is on it's own.

Lynch was better today. He utilized his sliders more, and that worked to his advantage.
Also, a ton of first pitch strikes. For these young flamethrowers, I think that is a huge confidence booster.

Besides Lynch, I’d like to see the other youngsters in the bullpen, 1 to 2 innings. To build confidence. Like what they did for Greinke years ago.
cabletech94 is obviously part of the inner Circle.cabletech94 is obviously part of the inner Circle.cabletech94 is obviously part of the inner Circle.cabletech94 is obviously part of the inner Circle.cabletech94 is obviously part of the inner Circle.cabletech94 is obviously part of the inner Circle.cabletech94 is obviously part of the inner Circle.cabletech94 is obviously part of the inner Circle.cabletech94 is obviously part of the inner Circle.cabletech94 is obviously part of the inner Circle.cabletech94 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-20-2022, 08:01 PM   #712
M-I-Z-Z-O-U

If you've still got an Athletic sub, check out the stuff today from Eno Sarris and Alec Lewis re: the Royals pitchers and why their fastballs are not effective.

Basically, the Royals are still trying to pound the zone DOWN with fastballs, and it is making them suck more than they should.

Yay, Cal Eldred and Mike Matheny!
duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-20-2022, 08:07 PM   #713
Champs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho View Post
If you've still got an Athletic sub, check out the stuff today from Eno Sarris and Alec Lewis re: the Royals pitchers and why their fastballs are not effective.

Basically, the Royals are still trying to pound the zone DOWN with fastballs, and it is making them suck more than they should.

Yay, Cal Eldred and Mike Matheny!
Yeah, that's ass-backwards thinking. They should be able to pound the fastball pretty much anywhere on the corners, not just down. And once in a blue moon, pound it right in the middle when the batter is least expecting it.
Coach is obviously part of the inner Circle.Coach is obviously part of the inner Circle.Coach is obviously part of the inner Circle.Coach is obviously part of the inner Circle.Coach is obviously part of the inner Circle.Coach is obviously part of the inner Circle.Coach is obviously part of the inner Circle.Coach is obviously part of the inner Circle.Coach is obviously part of the inner Circle.Coach is obviously part of the inner Circle.Coach is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-20-2022, 08:40 PM   #714
Debunking your bullshit

.500!

cosmo20002 is obviously part of the inner Circle.cosmo20002 is obviously part of the inner Circle.cosmo20002 is obviously part of the inner Circle.cosmo20002 is obviously part of the inner Circle.cosmo20002 is obviously part of the inner Circle.cosmo20002 is obviously part of the inner Circle.cosmo20002 is obviously part of the inner Circle.cosmo20002 is obviously part of the inner Circle.cosmo20002 is obviously part of the inner Circle.cosmo20002 is obviously part of the inner Circle.cosmo20002 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 4 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 09:29 PM   #715
MVP

I didn’t think Lynch was better today. He got away with a few more balls over the middle of the plate than he has. He also got some ground balls at people instead of up the middle.
Great Expectations is too fat/Omaha.Great Expectations is too fat/Omaha.Great Expectations is too fat/Omaha.Great Expectations is too fat/Omaha.Great Expectations is too fat/Omaha.Great Expectations is too fat/Omaha.Great Expectations is too fat/Omaha.Great Expectations is too fat/Omaha.Great Expectations is too fat/Omaha.Great Expectations is too fat/Omaha.Great Expectations is too fat/Omaha.
Old 04-21-2022, 08:16 AM   #716
Veteran

Bobby Witt getting moved down in the lineup today. Hope that helps take some pressure off so he can get going.
louie aguiar Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.louie aguiar Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.louie aguiar Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.louie aguiar Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.louie aguiar Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.louie aguiar Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.louie aguiar Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.louie aguiar Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.louie aguiar Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.louie aguiar Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.louie aguiar Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.
Old 04-21-2022, 08:18 AM   #717
In Search of a Life

Finally Witt is moved down to 7 but why the hell is Santana hitting let alone hitting 5th…
MAHOMO 4 LIFE! Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.MAHOMO 4 LIFE! Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.MAHOMO 4 LIFE! Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.MAHOMO 4 LIFE! Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.MAHOMO 4 LIFE! Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.MAHOMO 4 LIFE! Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.MAHOMO 4 LIFE! Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.MAHOMO 4 LIFE! Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.MAHOMO 4 LIFE! Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.MAHOMO 4 LIFE! Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.MAHOMO 4 LIFE! Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.
Thumbs Up 0 Thumbs Down 1     Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 08:23 AM   #718
The Beast Inside Your Head

Let's go!
BigCatDaddy is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigCatDaddy is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigCatDaddy is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigCatDaddy is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigCatDaddy is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigCatDaddy is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigCatDaddy is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigCatDaddy is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigCatDaddy is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigCatDaddy is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigCatDaddy is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-21-2022, 09:10 AM   #719
I’m a Mahomo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by louie aguiar View Post
Bobby Witt getting moved down in the lineup today. Hope that helps take some pressure off so he can get going.

Craig Brown

https://intothefountains.substack.com/

A fifteen-year veteran of the blogs. Co-creator of Royals Authority. Former editor-in-chief of Royals Review and Baseball Prospectus-Kansas City. Contributor and assistant editor to seven Baseball Prospectus annuals.

Stop bunting! Unless you’re going to bunt like that

Friends, I abhor the bunt. You know this. Maybe you dislike the bunt just as much as I do. Perhaps this is the reason you subscribe to this newsletter. Together, we can bemoan the bunt.

Did you see this? [Video]

This is Adalberto Mondesi squaring on a 1-0 pitch with runners on the corners. It wasn’t a squeeze play. It was bunting for a hit and to drive in the run. It is probably the best bunt I’ve ever seen. (I have GIF’d a bunch of dingers and a ton of swings and misses for this newsletter. This has to be my first GIF of a bunt.)

This is not hyperbole. This is not some sort of reverse jinx or whatever in trying to get the Royals to bunt less. I am as serious as Rusty Kuntz on a bicycle…This was the perfect bunt.

This is basically all Mondesi does anymore. It seems like he bunts, or attempts to, at least once a game. The broadcast seems to think he’s good at it. Like really good. I’m skeptical because he seems to lack a certain amount of game awareness as to when to actually utilize the bunt and then, as we saw twice on Monday, tends to overcommit to the point where he is not going to pull back if the pitch isn’t a good one to get the bunt down.

I’m not sure why Chris Paddack threw Mondesi the curve there. He swung through a fastball on the first pitch in the at bat. Maybe the Twins are one of those teams not using advanced scouts or something. If the curve hangs in the zone, as it did, Mondesi is going to have an excellent chance of doing something with that pitch.

That’s what happened here. He let the ball meet the bat, just like they teach you when you first learn to bunt. He was able to direct it and push it, right between the mound and first base. Hell, if there hadn’t been any runners on base, it still would’ve been the perfect bunt.

Sometimes, perfection comes in mysterious forms. I cannot question. Only celebrate.

Lynch controls the game

How about Daniel Lynch? On Wednesday, he utilized almost the exact same mix of pitches as he showed in St. Louis in his 2022 debut: Four-seamers and sliders with a handful of changeups and an occasional knuckle curve to keep hitters honest. He got fewer swings and misses on his fastball and slider than in his first start of the season, Lynch generally avoided the middle of the zone against the Twins, and when he did get a little too close to a batter’s happy spot, they couldn’t do anything with the pitch.

Watch a couple of pitches in this sequence to the ever-dangerous Carlos Correa in the third inning with runners on first and second. After missing on his first pitch, a fastball up and out of the zone, Lynch comes back with a nasty slider.

Having success there, Lynch goes back for more. Same pitch, almost the same location, but it starts on the inner half and runs further inside. Correa takes for ball two.

Behind in the count, Lynch delivers this beauty.

Put yourself in Correa’s shoes for a moment. You’ve seen the fastball and slider from Lynch. He’s working inside on the slider and keeping the fastball up. This pitch comes in as the same location as the slider, but without the spin. It’s not going to break, but it’s not moving at the rate as the typical four-seamer. What is this pitch???

It’s the perfect changeup. And it absolutely flummoxed Correa.

With the count even at 2-2, Lynch makes a mistake.

Cam Gallagher wants the pitch up and in. Lynch delivers it middle-middle. But because Lynch has moved around with the slider and the change, and only showed fastball in his first pitch of the at bat, Correa can only chop it foul. He missed his pitch.

Look at Lynch’s reaction. He knew.

From there, Lynch went back inside with consecutive sliders. Correa fouled off both. To this point, Lynch had thrown seven pitches to Correa. The fastballs were centered, but the sliders and the lone change were inside.

Every pitcher makes mistakes in nearly every appearance. Sometimes they go unpunished and when that happens, it’s almost always because of how the pitches immediately preceding that one are sequenced. Lynch wasn’t what I would call dominant on Wednesday, nor was he necessarily overpowering. Yet he was smart and sharp. When people ask me why I believe in Daniel Lynch as a major league starter in the future, I’ll point to this at bat.

The Bobby Witt Jr. question

Here goes…If the Royals bump Bobby Witt Jr. down in the order, does that signal panic? I don’t think it does. If anything, it shows smarts and recognition that the kid can use a little help. He’s scuffling at the moment.

I’m not going to go full revisionist history here and put the Royals on blast for batting him second to start his major league career. I thought it was a fine idea. Everything we saw from the kid indicated he was ready and could handle that spot in the order. While I still believe that to be true, it’s time for the Royals to have a rethink, get him out of the top third of the order and position the rookie for some kind of success.

Yes, the case can be made that Witt is “making things happen.” He was the guy up in the first inning with Whit Merrifield on third and Nicky Lopez at first. He watched a Paddack curve tail way out of the zone for the first pitch. He offered at the next pitch, another curve.

It’s a pitch that was always going to be a ground ball—if Witt swings. Which he did. This is difficult. It often seems as though Witt is taking some good-looking pitches for strikes and falling behind in the count. Kind of like he did in his next at bat when he watched a fastball down the chute for strike one. He’s simply pressing and you can’t blame him. Expectations are massive and it’s just not happening for him at the moment. It will. It requires patience and a little flexibility.

Rather than giving him a day or two off, drop him in the order for a few games. Get him to relax and understand that good things will eventually happen. But right now his chase rate is an untenable 42 percent and his hard-hit rate is a subpar 37 percent. He has yet to barrel a baseball, per Statcast. He’s going to be fine. As we’ve heard so often, the jump in talent and how the game is played from Triple-A to the majors is massive. Not everyone sets the league on fire from their first day.

A move 10 games into his major league career isn’t about panic. At least it doesn’t need to be if handled correctly. It’s about snapping a kid out of a funk so he can thrive sooner rather than later.

This is the lockdown bullpen you wanted

So this Royals bullpen is decent, isn’t it? Just another dominant night for the relief corps: four innings, one hit, one walk and four strikeouts. The Minnesota offense looks dreadful at the moment, but this bullpen is bringing it.

We should do some sort of reliever roll call.

Collin Snyder - He’s inherited six runners and has yet to allow one to score. Came in after Lynch allowed a leadoff single to Carlos Correa and promptly erased him on a double play. The fireman.

Jake Brentz - Pitched his first clean inning of 2022. The rising four-seamer was overpowering.

Josh Staumont - He didn’t hit triple-digits on the heater, but overall his velocity was up a tick from his previous outings this year. After showing the four-seamer up in the zone for the second strike, he destroyed Correa on this pitch.

Josh Barlow - Last year’s team leader in saves, locked down his first of the year, closing the game out on another double play.

After using those four in back-to-back games, I suspect we’ll see Amir Garrett, Dylan Coleman, Taylor Clarke and Joel Payamps if Wednesday’s matinee is another close one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by KChiefs1; 04-21-2022 at 09:25 AM..
KChiefs1 is obviously part of the inner Circle.KChiefs1 is obviously part of the inner Circle.KChiefs1 is obviously part of the inner Circle.KChiefs1 is obviously part of the inner Circle.KChiefs1 is obviously part of the inner Circle.KChiefs1 is obviously part of the inner Circle.KChiefs1 is obviously part of the inner Circle.KChiefs1 is obviously part of the inner Circle.KChiefs1 is obviously part of the inner Circle.KChiefs1 is obviously part of the inner Circle.KChiefs1 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 09:15 AM   #720
I’m a Mahomo!

Duplicate

Last edited by KChiefs1; 04-21-2022 at 09:22 AM.. Reason: Duplicate
KChiefs1 is obviously part of the inner Circle.KChiefs1 is obviously part of the inner Circle.KChiefs1 is obviously part of the inner Circle.KChiefs1 is obviously part of the inner Circle.KChiefs1 is obviously part of the inner Circle.KChiefs1 is obviously part of the inner Circle.KChiefs1 is obviously part of the inner Circle.KChiefs1 is obviously part of the inner Circle.KChiefs1 is obviously part of the inner Circle.KChiefs1 is obviously part of the inner Circle.KChiefs1 is obviously part of the inner Circle.