Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room > Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-06-2020, 09:54 PM   Topic Starter
__

The future of QB contracts.

I was talking with a friend of mine and QB contracts came up.

What if Mahomes secures a contract that is actually a % of the upcoming cap? That makes the most sense if you're Mahomes, because the cap is set to explode within the next few years. And if that's the case, no contract Mahomes could sign that is ostensibly "resetting the market" going to match whatever that % would be.

I think that contract would be the only contract that would fairly compensate Mahomes, and it would also spell trouble for the NFL. Because every halfway elite QB for the rest of your league's history is going to want %'s.

Which isn't terrible in and of itself, except everyone is going to want a higher % than the player before them, and given the incredible value of even merely really good QBs like Dak, the teams will have to pay them. Eventually the % will get higher and higher until you have all of your most bankable star QBs squandered on teams that can't pay the rest of their roster well.

I'm not sure what the solution to that would be.

Except perhaps to give QBs their own salary cap, or to remove QBs from the salary cap altogether and let it become an uncapped position. That would remove the threat of a QB crushing your team's cap, but it also seems like opening pandora's box, as LTs, edge rushers, lockdown CBs, and so on might eventually fight to become uncapped as well.

All of this to say, really, that I don't know where the future of the QB contract goes. Maybe it stays the same for the rest of my life, and owners are relatively happy with QB contracts being hamstrung by the need to field 54 other players.
Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.