Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 06-30-2020, 07:59 PM  
Tossed Salad & Scrambled Eggs

Chris Jones threatens to Hold Out

Well shit.

UPDATE 7/12/20: Things are looking good!

UPDATE 7/14: Looks Done!

Last edited by Dante84; 07-14-2020 at 11:28 AM..
Dante84 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dante84 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dante84 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dante84 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dante84 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dante84 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dante84 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dante84 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dante84 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dante84 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dante84 is obviously part of the inner Circle.

Old 07-03-2020, 02:51 PM   #226
Special Teams ACE!!!

Do you think Jones would be satisfied with only like a 2-year extension as long as the numbers were close to averaging out at $20 million/yr? That at least buys the Chiefs some time when the actual big money of Mahomes' new deal is really going to take effect (we still have the 4th year and the 5th year option to play out). At that point if we want Jones to continue being the focal point, we can do the shift arounds. Bad deals like the Hitchens and LDT contracts will be over and done with. We'll finally be done giving money to Eric Berry. Watkins will be gone. And as we're figuring out our future extensions, we may decide we can still keep Jones, or we might be satisfied enough with the other interior DL. Right now we're quite deep at that spot, but a lot can change in that time.

Also, we've been kind of lean on the draft picks the past couple years (in terms of numbers of players we're drafting). As we let go of players, we're going to get more picks to replace them. We have options.

Just thinking out loud. Not saying that's the answer, but it could be a place to start. It would show some greater faith on the organization's part towards Jones, and he'd get what he deserves.
RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 2 Thumbs Down 0    
Old 07-03-2020, 05:03 PM   #227
Out Gunning CP's Fandom Police

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealSNR View Post
Do you think Jones would be satisfied with only like a 2-year extension as long as the numbers were close to averaging out at $20 million/yr? That at least buys the Chiefs some time when the actual big money of Mahomes' new deal is really going to take effect (we still have the 4th year and the 5th year option to play out). At that point if we want Jones to continue being the focal point, we can do the shift arounds. Bad deals like the Hitchens and LDT contracts will be over and done with. We'll finally be done giving money to Eric Berry. Watkins will be gone. And as we're figuring out our future extensions, we may decide we can still keep Jones, or we might be satisfied enough with the other interior DL. Right now we're quite deep at that spot, but a lot can change in that time.

Also, we've been kind of lean on the draft picks the past couple years (in terms of numbers of players we're drafting). As we let go of players, we're going to get more picks to replace them. We have options.

Just thinking out loud. Not saying that's the answer, but it could be a place to start. It would show some greater faith on the organization's part towards Jones, and he'd get what he deserves.
I think you raised an excellent point. I was thinking about that when all this went down. He counts $16M now - KC can find another $4M for the upcoming season. Can also make it work for the next one. Watkins? LDT? Dan? Etc.. The $$$ would virtually be all guaranteed...After that, then decisions will need to be made. So, he can have his $20M per NOW and 2021, but someone else may be paying it year 3. Chris will still be young at 28 so he just may be willing to do it b/c he will be young enough to warrant another big contract. This may very well be the way deals more readily go in the future.
TEX has disabled reputation

Old 07-03-2020, 05:24 PM   #228
SuperBowl or bust

Jones did a telling interview with Colon Cowherd (iirc it was him) before the new CBA was signed talking about his contract situation and the CBA where he made a couple comments that I think we’re telling.

1) Colin asked him if the owners came to the players with a fair deal, would he agree to it and Chris went into talking about other things that would need addressed before he would agree to it. That interview changed my perception of him a bit. It made him seem unreasonable and not willing to take a fair deal.

2) He talked about Veach and his conversation being around “who the team can let walk and who they can’t (in terms of depth)” and it made me think of Veaches choices since he became GM. Drafting Nnadi and Saunders with significant picks.
BossChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BossChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BossChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BossChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BossChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BossChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BossChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BossChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BossChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BossChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BossChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.

Old 07-03-2020, 05:58 PM   #229
Supporter

If it wasn't for that complete freak of nature, Aaron Donald, Chris Jones would be viewed as the best interior lineman in the NFL and his numbers back that up.

There is also absolutely no doubt that Jones has earned a $20 million dollar per year contract because he's a game changer who's relentless and a force of nature when healthy.

If I was Jones or his agent, I'd advise him to holdout, too, and there's no way I'd play on the Franchise Tag, either. What if he's injured or tears an ACL mid-season? There's no way a team would offer him a $100 million dollar deal coming off of injury, while missing prime years.

With all of the uncertainty about this season and without new TV contracts in place, I don't think that any team can compete for a Super Bowl title when they're paying three players in excess of $20 million per year.

Had COVID not wrecked this year for sports, maybe the NFL's new TV contracts would have allowed the Chiefs to sign Jones to the type of contract he's earned but with so much uncertainty, not only in 2020 but for future years as well, I believe the best course of action for both parties is a sign and trade deal.

It's an unfortunate reality but I think it's more likely than not that he'll be on another roster once the season begins.
DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 07-03-2020, 06:05 PM   #230
SuperBowl or bust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante84 View Post
Why isn’t the cap assigned 2 years in advance?

Serious question.
Because it’s based on income.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud View Post
If it wasn't for that complete freak of nature, Aaron Donald, Chris Jones would be viewed as the best interior lineman in the NFL and his numbers back that up.

There is also absolutely no doubt that Jones has earned a $20 million dollar per year contract because he's a game changer who's relentless and a force of nature when healthy.

If I was Jones or his agent, I'd advise him to holdout, too, and there's no way I'd play on the Franchise Tag, either. What if he's injured or tears an ACL mid-season? There's no way a team would offer him a $100 million dollar deal coming off of injury, while missing prime years.

With all of the uncertainty about this season and without new TV contracts in place, I don't think that any team can compete for a Super Bowl title when they're paying three players in excess of $20 million per year.

Had COVID not wrecked this year for sports, maybe the NFL's new TV contracts would have allowed the Chiefs to sign Jones to the type of contract he's earned but with so much uncertainty, not only in 2020 but for future years as well, I believe the best course of action for both parties is a sign and trade deal.

It's an unfortunate reality but I think it's more likely than not that he'll be on another roster once the season begins.
Exactly.
BossChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BossChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BossChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BossChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BossChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BossChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BossChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BossChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BossChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BossChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BossChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.

Old 07-03-2020, 06:14 PM   #231
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante84 View Post
Why isn’t the cap assigned 2 years in advance?

Serious question.
The salary cap changes each and every year due to new deals made by the NFL, whether it's licensing, advertising, additional corporate sponsors or changes to their broadcasting deals.

In 2018, Fox began broadcasting games on Thursday nights, something that wasn't in affect in prior years. Amazon began broadcasting Thursday night games as well on Prime, while the NFL made changes to the playoff schedule to allow more games to be seen in Prime Time, which increases their rates while the networks can charge more for advertising as well.

If there's a season this year, there's no doubt that the NFL's revenues will slip due to empty stadiums. While some predict it could be as much as $100 million in total revenues to per team, others say it could be less.

The bottom line is that the NFL's revenues are always changing and while they've never actually decreased, that could happen in 2020, which is just another reason why it's basically impossible for them to set a Salary Cap number years in advance when the cap itself is based on expected total revenue.
DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.

Old 07-04-2020, 01:02 AM   #232
MVP

Quote:
"Chris Jones is everything to that [Kansas City] defense. He is more important than Honey Badger, more important, big picture, than Tyreek Hill or Travis Kelce."

@AdamSchein believes that the Chiefs understand Jones' importance and will get everything figured out.
Total bullshit, even Mathieu is more important than Jones. If Clark stays healthy he should show a better game too.

We should have traded Jones for draft picks in the 2020 draft. A couple of 1st round picks this year would have been handy.
JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.
Old 07-04-2020, 01:42 AM   #233
Tossed Salad & Scrambled Eggs

I get how it’s currently set up. What I want to know is why they can’t push the cap adjustments out just one year and recognize the lift/decrease the following year?

Having the next years cap number in hand while negotiating the majority of your contracts would seem to be very helpful. Plus, the owners get to keep the dollars an extra year.

Last edited by Dante84; 07-04-2020 at 01:47 AM..
Dante84 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dante84 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dante84 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dante84 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dante84 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dante84 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dante84 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dante84 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dante84 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dante84 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dante84 is obviously part of the inner Circle.

Old 07-04-2020, 10:00 AM   #234
Andy Reid Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud View Post

Per Garafalo the Chiefs don’t and apparently have never viewed him as a $20 million asset. That’s the big question.

Garafalo was obviously told that from KC. He’s got no reason to make that up, rifht?

If true, I wonder why that is? It’s been well documented that Chris Jones is not great on first down, so it leads me to believe that they might think Chris is not complete player.
The other elephant in the room is availability. Chris was injured in 2017 and 2018 playoff games, so Chris being unavailable in the playoffs for a 3rd straight season might have really supported their decision, especially if it was due to a basketball locker room incident (not sure I buy that).

I agree with you that it seems like Chris Jones is not going to be here long term. I think that if that report is true that they don’t view him like he views himself, the ideal situation is keeping him on the tag this year and then trading him for assets to use in the draft next spring.
RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.

Old 07-04-2020, 01:46 PM   #235
I missed '69!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunKC View Post
Per Garafalo the Chiefs don’t and apparently have never viewed him as a $20 million asset. That’s the big question.

Garafalo was obviously told that from KC. He’s got no reason to make that up, rifht?

If true, I wonder why that is? It’s been well documented that Chris Jones is not great on first down, so it leads me to believe that they might think Chris is not complete player.
The other elephant in the room is availability. Chris was injured in 2017 and 2018 playoff games, so Chris being unavailable in the playoffs for a 3rd straight season might have really supported their decision, especially if it was due to a basketball locker room incident (not sure I buy that).

I agree with you that it seems like Chris Jones is not going to be here long term. I think that if that report is true that they don’t view him like he views himself, the ideal situation is keeping him on the tag this year and then trading him for assets to use in the draft next spring.
Does anyone believe he’s worth Donald money? He’s great sure but not a game by game wrecker.
Redbled must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Redbled must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Redbled must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Redbled must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Redbled must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Redbled must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Redbled must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Redbled must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Redbled must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Redbled must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Redbled must have mowed badgirl's lawn.

Old 07-04-2020, 01:51 PM   #236
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbled View Post
Does anyone believe he’s worth Donald money? He’s great sure but not a game by game wrecker.
No, he’s not.

I like Jones and wish he could remain a Chief, but at the price he’s asking? No thanks.

For all his greatness in the 4th quarter of the Super Bowl, he was largely invisible (or not playing) in every other playoff game of his Chiefs career. You don’t pay Aaron Donald money for someone like that. No matter how thankful you may be to them for helping you win your first Super Bowl in 50 years.

You thank them, wish them the best, and move right the **** along.
TomBarndtsTwin is obviously part of the inner Circle.TomBarndtsTwin is obviously part of the inner Circle.TomBarndtsTwin is obviously part of the inner Circle.TomBarndtsTwin is obviously part of the inner Circle.TomBarndtsTwin is obviously part of the inner Circle.TomBarndtsTwin is obviously part of the inner Circle.TomBarndtsTwin is obviously part of the inner Circle.TomBarndtsTwin is obviously part of the inner Circle.TomBarndtsTwin is obviously part of the inner Circle.TomBarndtsTwin is obviously part of the inner Circle.TomBarndtsTwin is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 4 Thumbs Down 0    
Old 07-04-2020, 02:01 PM   #237
Special Teams ACE!!!

I entertained trading Jones for the right price early in the offseason, and I'm open to that now, but come on, people. Chris Jones is a more valuable cog to this defense than Frank ****ing Clark.

Frank Clark is a DE. Chris Jones plays primarily on the interior, but he's demonstrated he can play a 5-technique and still get 15 sacks! You can play him anywhere. Getting INTERIOR pressure is worth its weight in gold. You need pressure from the ends, yes, that's not to minimize the important role that Clark plays, but when you do what Jones is able to do, and you ask, "Which one is better to have on your defense?" the answer is CLEARLY Chris Jones.

We could probably be fine without Jones, but that's only because Nnadi, Pennel, and Saunders are pretty good as an interior trio. We could lose Clark, and yeah, we'd be screwed at DE, but we'd still be able to get pressure with Jones.

That's the difference between the two.
RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.

Old 07-04-2020, 02:06 PM   #238
oxymoron

I'm not sure that's necessarily true, Jones being more valuable than Clark. At least not at a time where Jones still struggles to play within the designed structure of the defense and freelances himself out of plays multiple times a game. Which is not to diminish how special a player he is in terms of pure ability, just that he can giveth and he can taketh away, so to speak, often from one play to the next.
keg in kc is obviously part of the inner Circle.keg in kc is obviously part of the inner Circle.keg in kc is obviously part of the inner Circle.keg in kc is obviously part of the inner Circle.keg in kc is obviously part of the inner Circle.keg in kc is obviously part of the inner Circle.keg in kc is obviously part of the inner Circle.keg in kc is obviously part of the inner Circle.keg in kc is obviously part of the inner Circle.keg in kc is obviously part of the inner Circle.keg in kc is obviously part of the inner Circle.

Old 07-04-2020, 02:09 PM   #239
In Search of a Life

I think if CJ wants an avg of 20, you find a way to make it work and just backfill the contract.

I'd venture he wants to be paid more than AD to reset the market and wants a large chunk of guaranteed $$$$$ early on and that's what's going to keep a contract from getting done.
BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.

Old 07-04-2020, 02:35 PM   #240
Veteran

[QUOTE=RealSNR;15051742]I entertained trading Jones for the right price early in the offseason, and I'm open to that now, but come on, people. Chris Jones is a more valuable cog to this defense than Frank ****ing Clark.

Frank Clark is a DE. Chris Jones plays primarily on the interior, but he's demonstrated he can play a 5-technique and still get 15 sacks! You can play him anywhere. Getting INTERIOR pressure is worth its weight in gold. You need pressure from the ends, yes, that's not to minimize the important role that Clark plays, but when you do what Jones is able to do, and you ask, "Which one is better to have on your defense?" the answer is CLEARLY Chris Jones.

We could probably be fine without Jones, but that's only because Nnadi, Pennel, and Saunders are pretty good as an interior trio. We could lose Clark, and yeah, we'd be screwed at DE, but we'd still be able to get pressure with Jones.

That's the difference between the two.[ I’d take clark anytime over Jones, but I’d love to have them both.
R Clark wants to die in a aids tree fire.R Clark wants to die in a aids tree fire.R Clark wants to die in a aids tree fire.R Clark wants to die in a aids tree fire.R Clark wants to die in a aids tree fire.R Clark wants to die in a aids tree fire.R Clark wants to die in a aids tree fire.R Clark wants to die in a aids tree fire.R Clark wants to die in a aids tree fire.R Clark wants to die in a aids tree fire.R Clark wants to die in a aids tree fire.

Closed Thread