Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Old 01-02-2022, 08:51 AM  
Supporter

***** All things Fitness *****

2022 getting and staying fit thread!
penguinz is too fat/Omaha.penguinz is too fat/Omaha.penguinz is too fat/Omaha.penguinz is too fat/Omaha.penguinz is too fat/Omaha.penguinz is too fat/Omaha.penguinz is too fat/Omaha.penguinz is too fat/Omaha.penguinz is too fat/Omaha.penguinz is too fat/Omaha.penguinz is too fat/Omaha.
Old 10-27-2023, 01:37 PM   #286
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcellus View Post
5'10 225 is still pretty big.

I'm 5'11 185 right now and can bench around 290, working on getting back to 300 in the next month or so.

And I'm also training for a marathon in November. Its a tough balance for certain but I've benched 300 and ran a 3:20 marathon in the same 6-8 month time period back in 2018 so hope I can do it again except in the same month this time. (5 years older as well ugh)
Good luck next weekend for the Crossroads Marathon, Marcellus!
I hadn't heard about that race until you mentioned it, but it sounds like the inaugural event last year was terrific and that a lot of runners will be in Salina next weekend for the various races. Have fun!
DanT 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliDanT 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliDanT 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliDanT 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliDanT 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliDanT 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliDanT 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliDanT 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliDanT 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliDanT 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliDanT 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitelli
Old 11-14-2023, 06:57 PM   #287
Suupraa Geniuuusss

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguinz View Post
How's everyones workouts going? Mine is progressing well. Working sets this week for me are at:

DL: 3x3 405lb
Bench: 3x6 250lb
Squat: High Bar: 3x5 300lbs
Low Bar 3x3 315lbs

Can't wait to hit PRs after this program.

Actually, I've started doing something new (for me) and it seems to be working out pretty well so far. Caveat: I've only been doing this "single body part/week" thing for about a month. But I've seen some gains already.

Pretty impressed about how my back and chest workouts are progressing in particular
Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 11-14-2023, 08:14 PM   #288
Diablo Negro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megatron96 View Post
Actually, I've started doing something new (for me) and it seems to be working out pretty well so far. Caveat: I've only been doing this "single body part/week" thing for about a month. But I've seen some gains already.

Pretty impressed about how my back and chest workouts are progressing in particular
Help me out here. You only work a single body part each week?
Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 11-14-2023, 08:42 PM   #289
Suupraa Geniuuusss

Quote:
Help me out here. You only work a single body part each week?

In the middle of something here. I’ll post my basic week tomorrow

Okay, just posting a brief description here; gotta pay the bills. Will post my week this afternoon (evening for you guys)

"One set per body part workouts, sometimes called the single set system or high intensity training — HIT for short — are brief but intense workouts where each training set is performed to the point of failure. Reaching failure means you cannot complete any more repetitions without assistance. Popularized by fitness authors Arthur Jones, Ellington Darden, Mike Mentzer and Matt Brzycki, HIT workouts offer a viable alternative to higher-volume training systems."

"A typical HIT workout consists of between six to 10 exercises. Only a single set of each exercise is performed, so workouts should take no more than 30 minutes. The brevity of an HIT workout makes this style of training ideal if you are busy and have little time to train. As you are only performing a single set, it's easy to track your progress in terms of weights lifted or repetitions performed. HIT workouts are conducted at a rapid pace with minimal rest between exercises, so there is a resulting cardiovascular training effect. This effect, termed “Metabolic Conditioning” by author Matt Brzycki, means you get aerobically fitter despite not performing any cardiovascular exercise."

So say i do back on Monday. I won't do back again for at least 8 days (some of these guys say they go two weeks between certain body parts) I might do shoulders on Tuesday, and so on.

I modified the HIT system to fit what I want/need, which I'll post later, but hopefully you get the idea.

Last edited by Megatron96; 11-15-2023 at 10:50 AM..
Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 11-15-2023, 12:25 AM   #290
Gonna go back in time....

Chris Jones has quite the conundrum, on one hand, he's a pretty nice guy and he's got to go against his buddy kelce's brother, on the other hand he's about 10 sacks short of his bonus. Hope he chose the money this game and keeps his hands to himself after the whistle.
bringbackmarty would the whole thing.bringbackmarty would the whole thing.bringbackmarty would the whole thing.bringbackmarty would the whole thing.bringbackmarty would the whole thing.bringbackmarty would the whole thing.bringbackmarty would the whole thing.bringbackmarty would the whole thing.bringbackmarty would the whole thing.bringbackmarty would the whole thing.bringbackmarty would the whole thing.
Thumbs Up 0 Thumbs Down 1     Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2023, 10:37 AM   #291
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bringbackmarty View Post
Chris Jones has quite the conundrum, on one hand, he's a pretty nice guy and he's got to go against his buddy kelce's brother, on the other hand he's about 10 sacks short of his bonus. Hope he chose the money this game and keeps his hands to himself after the whistle.
I think you are lost.
penguinz is too fat/Omaha.penguinz is too fat/Omaha.penguinz is too fat/Omaha.penguinz is too fat/Omaha.penguinz is too fat/Omaha.penguinz is too fat/Omaha.penguinz is too fat/Omaha.penguinz is too fat/Omaha.penguinz is too fat/Omaha.penguinz is too fat/Omaha.penguinz is too fat/Omaha.
Old 11-15-2023, 10:38 AM   #292
Supporter

Quote:
Well? Where the **** is it!
Old 11-15-2023, 10:52 AM   #293
Suupraa Geniuuusss

Quote:
Well? Where the **** is it!

Lol, in your mom's panties.

Just kidding. Posted a description above, and will post my workout plan this afternoon. Happy?
Old 11-15-2023, 11:05 AM   #294
Supporter

Quote:
Lol, in your mom's panties.

Just kidding. Posted a description above, and will post my workout plan this afternoon. Happy?
Being 100% honest that looks like a shit program to do.

Only important thing though is if you enjoy it and feel it works for you.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2023, 11:44 AM   #295
Diablo Negro

Quote:

Okay, just posting a brief description here; gotta pay the bills. Will post my week this afternoon (evening for you guys)

"One set per body part workouts, sometimes called the single set system or high intensity training — HIT for short — are brief but intense workouts where each training set is performed to the point of failure. Reaching failure means you cannot complete any more repetitions without assistance. Popularized by fitness authors Arthur Jones, Ellington Darden, Mike Mentzer and Matt Brzycki, HIT workouts offer a viable alternative to higher-volume training systems."

"A typical HIT workout consists of between six to 10 exercises. Only a single set of each exercise is performed, so workouts should take no more than 30 minutes. The brevity of an HIT workout makes this style of training ideal if you are busy and have little time to train. As you are only performing a single set, it's easy to track your progress in terms of weights lifted or repetitions performed. HIT workouts are conducted at a rapid pace with minimal rest between exercises, so there is a resulting cardiovascular training effect. This effect, termed “Metabolic Conditioning” by author Matt Brzycki, means you get aerobically fitter despite not performing any cardiovascular exercise."

So say i do back on Monday. I won't do back again for at least 8 days (some of these guys say they go two weeks between certain body parts) I might do shoulders on Tuesday, and so on.

I modified the HIT system to fit what I want/need, which I'll post later, but hopefully you get the idea.
If you are only doing a single set of each exercise and doing 8-10 sets per workout I'm confused as to how you would go 8 days between working specific body parts. Seems you would be working each body part multiple times a week.
Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.Marcellus is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 11-15-2023, 11:48 AM   #296
Would an idiot do that?

I'd be sore all the damn time if I went 8 days between workouts that focused on a specific muscle/muscle group.
Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 11-15-2023, 04:27 PM   #297
Suupraa Geniuuusss

Okay, here's the basic week:

DAY 1 - Legs

30 Sumo squats
Smith Squats 2 x 10
Leg Extensions 2 x 10
Hamstring curls 2 x 10

20+ minutes Stairmaster

DAY 2 - Shoulders

20 pike pupshups
Seated machine shoulder press 2 x 10
Cable Delt flyes 2 x 10
Incline DB Rear Delt Flyes 2 x 10

DAY 3
REST/Cardio-Calesthentics

DAY 4 - Back

Isometric holds (assisted pull-up machine) 3 x 10sec, Full - 3/4s – Half
Lat pull down machine or Assisted pull-up machine 2 x 10
Seated Row 2 x 10
Close grip supinated grip pull down machine 2 x 10
Face pulls 1 x 10

DAY 5
REST /Cardio-Cal

DAY 6 - Chest

30+ pushups
Incline DB press 2 x 10
Incline DB flyes (or cable) 2 x10
Incline cable press 2 x 10
Pec Deck 2 x 10
Decline DB press or parallel bar dip 1 x 10

DAY 7
Alternate Triceps/Biceps exercises
Arms- Triceps
Dips 2 x 10 or Diamond pushups 2 x 20
Triceps cable pushdowns 2 x 10
Cable triceps rope extensions 2 x 10

Arms-Biceps
Preacher curls 2 x 10
Preacher Hammer curls 2 x 10
Seated single arm biceps curls or Cable Rope Curls 2 x 10

DAY 8
REST
Old 11-15-2023, 04:32 PM   #298
Suupraa Geniuuusss

Quote:
Being 100% honest that looks like a shit program to do.

Only important thing though is if you enjoy it and feel it works for you.

Yeah, i don't think I'd be able to do the strict interpretation of a HIT workout schedule. I probably would call what I'm doing "Medium-High Intensity."

And I don't do legs to failure. I've had too many knee/ankle injuries to risk that. And I really don't need to bulk up my legs. More maintain what I have and get my strength/endurance back. Kind of the same deal with shoulders.

Back, Chest, and arms i try to get to failure.

I like it, mainly because it takes most of the thinking out of it, and it's short. I can get in and out of the gym in under an hour and feel like a got a good workout.
Old 11-15-2023, 04:40 PM   #299
Diablo Negro

Not sure whether that workout is effective or not but it doesn't remotely fit the description you gave earlier. Sounds like you are doing a 1 body part per workout to failure program. Not a one set to failure program.

Quote:
One set per body part workouts, sometimes called the single set system or high intensity training — HIT for short — are brief but intense workouts where each training set is performed to the point of failure. Reaching failure means you cannot complete any more repetitions without assistance. Popularized by fitness authors Arthur Jones, Ellington Darden, Mike Mentzer and Matt Brzycki, HIT workouts offer a viable alternative to higher-volume training systems."

"A typical HIT workout consists of between six to 10 exercises. Only a single set of each exercise is performed,
IMP what you described above would look more like this and do it several times a week -

1 set of DB bench press to failure
1 Set of DB curls to failure
1 Set of DB rows to failure
1 Set of squats to failure
1 set of military presses to failure
1 set of tricep extensions to failure

etc....

Like pen said, as long as you enjoy it and will keep doing it, it will be effective in that manner.
Old 11-15-2023, 04:54 PM   #300
Suupraa Geniuuusss

Quote:
Not sure whether that workout is effective or not but it doesn't remotely fit the description you gave earlier. Sounds like you are doing a 1 body part per workout to faulted program.

Like pen said, as long as you enjoy it and will keep doing it, it will be effective in that manner.

Yeah, I did mention in the first post that I modified it quite a bit. When I was researching HIT, part of the program is mechanical discipline/perfect form. Any deviation is considered 'failure.' But I'm 54, so I can't go nuclear intensity every workout. What I'm doing is probably more like "Medium-High intensity," lol.

So, in practice, if I'm on Day 4 (back), those isometric holds are to help me get to failure quicker. The 10 seconds is a guideline; i hold as long as I can, which right now is about 20 seconds per with a 20 second rest between reps.

Then when I do the APUs, I've got 30-lbs. assistance, and I'm trying to complete each rep as perfectly as possible, with a 3-5 sec hold at the top/bottom. Contraction is about 1 second, and then I try to make the stretch last at least 3-4 seconds. usually by the time I get to the 5-6 rep of each set, I'm starting to struggle. At that point, I just try to complete at least 5 perfect reps. The last 5-6 reps of the 2nd set are usually hard as hell. Minimal rest for me is about 90 seconds.

It's still really early; I've only been doing this for about a month. But the gains in strength/stamina, or rather the gains in the weight I've been able to move and the number of reps has increased by maybe 30-40%? Of course, i know that a lot of that is just because I'm still ramping up after taking 3 years off from weight training. We'll see how things go a couple months from now.