Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Hall of Classics
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Old 01-09-2009, 03:32 PM  
Supporter

What would you do if your neighbor....

Ok, as some of you have heard me complain before, the neighbors who live behind me\across the street installed a 10ft lamppost in their front yard. It is excessively bright. I by that I mean it outshines the streetlights easily. The ligh illuminates the entire backside of my house meaning it shines right through my dining room window and bedroom window. I cannot sit on my deck when it is on as it is like having a light shined righ tin your face.

So, what I have done so far....I tolerated it and paid $500 to put in a tree to help block it. That does a meh job. So I thought oh well until....CHRISTMAS TIME! What is so special about CHRISTMAS TIME and the Lamp? I will tell you....

The people put exterior x-mas lights on their home and guess what...they had to turn off their light so they could be seen. Day after x-mas the light was back on in all of its blinding beauty.

So I finally looked up the code and found an "Unlawul Illumination" code that states basically your light cannot shine across your property line to the point it is a nuisance. So I filed a complaint with the city.

The city in turn said this is an exception to municiple code and they forwarded it to the Police. The Police contacted me and said they are waiting for the blessing from the city prosector to allow a citation. This is where it gets good...

If they do get the blessing, I of course have to sign a complaint and possibly appear in court to have the light dimmed or removed.

I am half willing to accept reimbursement for the $500 for the tree I put in, though that does me no good in the winter. The wife says I should let it go. My best friemd says "**** em' they should of thought about that when they put in the light".

So would you follow it all the way to court? Or am I being a bigger dick than usual?

Updated: Talked to him, asked him to either wait until 10:00 to turn it on or get a dimmer bulb.....light was off last night so he is being cool though I could tell by his town he wasn't happy about the purpose of my visit

Last edited by petegz28; 01-10-2009 at 10:53 PM..
petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 01-09-2009, 05:31 PM   #106
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardken View Post
There are "blinders" that can be put around globes to keep light from shining in that direction that can be affixed to said lightpost. Or Paint black the direction it is shining on you.
Actually he is illegal with his light. The law clearly states that your light is to have said blinders\deflectors and it cannot cross property lines. The unfortunate part is the front of his house faces the back of mine. So I can see where it would look stupid.

He tried to tell me it was on a timer so I asked if he can get a dimmer bulb? So we will see what happens. I have a feeling he will be cool but when his wife gets home well.....you know how women can be.....
petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 01-09-2009, 05:33 PM   #107
Stay positive, don't give up

I still want to see how bright this ****er is, take a picture
Sure-Oz wants to die in a aids tree fire.Sure-Oz wants to die in a aids tree fire.Sure-Oz wants to die in a aids tree fire.Sure-Oz wants to die in a aids tree fire.Sure-Oz wants to die in a aids tree fire.Sure-Oz wants to die in a aids tree fire.Sure-Oz wants to die in a aids tree fire.Sure-Oz wants to die in a aids tree fire.Sure-Oz wants to die in a aids tree fire.Sure-Oz wants to die in a aids tree fire.Sure-Oz wants to die in a aids tree fire.
Old 01-09-2009, 05:36 PM   #108
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by petegz28 View Post
Actually he is illegal with his light. The law clearly states that your light is to have said blinders\deflectors and it cannot cross property lines. The unfortunate part is the front of his house faces the back of mine. So I can see where it would look stupid.

He tried to tell me it was on a timer so I asked if he can get a dimmer bulb? So we will see what happens. I have a feeling he will be cool but when his wife gets home well.....you know how women can be.....
Best of luck
cardken is not part of the Right 53.cardken is not part of the Right 53.cardken is not part of the Right 53.cardken is not part of the Right 53.cardken is not part of the Right 53.cardken is not part of the Right 53.cardken is not part of the Right 53.cardken is not part of the Right 53.cardken is not part of the Right 53.cardken is not part of the Right 53.cardken is not part of the Right 53.
Old 01-09-2009, 05:38 PM   #109
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sure-Oz View Post
I still want to see how bright this ****er is, take a picture
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=188997

You can look here. I thought I put other sup but can find them right now. These were taken with my litte powershot and it really darkens things, so admitedly it doesn't look as bad as it is.

But can you see it is every bit as bright as the full moon was and a lot closer and right at eye level when you are sitting in my dining room or on the deck.

Notice it is so tall it reaches his 2nd story window. It belongs in a parking lot.
Old 01-09-2009, 05:40 PM   #110
Stay positive, don't give up

Quote:
Originally Posted by petegz28 View Post
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=188997

You can look here. I thought I put other sup but can find them right now. These were taken with my litte powershot and it really darkens things, so admitedly it doesn't look as bad as it is.

But can you see it is every bit as bright as the full moon was and a lot closer and right at eye level when you are sitting in my dining room or on the deck.

Notice it is so tall it reaches his 2nd story window. It belongs in a parking lot.
That is a big ball of sun in front of their house
Sure-Oz wants to die in a aids tree fire.Sure-Oz wants to die in a aids tree fire.Sure-Oz wants to die in a aids tree fire.Sure-Oz wants to die in a aids tree fire.Sure-Oz wants to die in a aids tree fire.Sure-Oz wants to die in a aids tree fire.Sure-Oz wants to die in a aids tree fire.Sure-Oz wants to die in a aids tree fire.Sure-Oz wants to die in a aids tree fire.Sure-Oz wants to die in a aids tree fire.Sure-Oz wants to die in a aids tree fire.
Old 01-09-2009, 05:42 PM   #111
Go Chiefs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by frazod View Post
Pellet gun.

After you've shot the bulb out enough times, they'll get the message.
Without reading the other posts, this is the winner. And if they complain, shoot them. But only below the knees.
MichaelH is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutMichaelH is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutMichaelH is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutMichaelH is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutMichaelH is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutMichaelH is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutMichaelH is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutMichaelH is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutMichaelH is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutMichaelH is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutMichaelH is the dumbass Milkman is always talking about
Old 01-09-2009, 05:42 PM   #112
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sure-Oz View Post
That is a big ball of sun in front of their house
You should see it in person. I do not know how their neighbors right across the streeet tolerate it. But it literally you have to cover your eyes if oyu are sitting on my deck. It is just irritating.
Old 01-09-2009, 05:51 PM   #113
Supporter

I think you should make every effort to be a good neighbor. That goes both ways.

The majority of people are willing to compromise and would be willing to do something to alleviate your discomfort. I'm sure there is something that can be added to the light that will dim your side or block it and still look attractive for their investment.

that said, I do live next to one of those people that asking politely turns into a clusterf@k of dipshittery.

Give them a chance to fix it before you're a dick about it or turn them in. They likely didn't realize it was bothersome to you.

A dimmer bulb would probably fix it too.
Iowanian is obviously part of the inner Circle.Iowanian is obviously part of the inner Circle.Iowanian is obviously part of the inner Circle.Iowanian is obviously part of the inner Circle.Iowanian is obviously part of the inner Circle.Iowanian is obviously part of the inner Circle.Iowanian is obviously part of the inner Circle.Iowanian is obviously part of the inner Circle.Iowanian is obviously part of the inner Circle.Iowanian is obviously part of the inner Circle.Iowanian is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 01-09-2009, 05:53 PM   #114
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowanian View Post
I think you should make every effort to be a good neighbor. That goes both ways.

The majority of people are willing to compromise and would be willing to do something to alleviate your discomfort. I'm sure there is something that can be added to the light that will dim your side or block it and still look attractive for their investment.

that said, I do live next to one of those people that asking politely turns into a clusterf@k of dipshittery.

Give them a chance to fix it before you're a dick about it or turn them in. They likely didn't realize it was bothersome to you.
Wouldn't frozen paint balls be better?
Skip Towne is not part of the Right 53.Skip Towne is not part of the Right 53.Skip Towne is not part of the Right 53.Skip Towne is not part of the Right 53.Skip Towne is not part of the Right 53.Skip Towne is not part of the Right 53.Skip Towne is not part of the Right 53.Skip Towne is not part of the Right 53.Skip Towne is not part of the Right 53.Skip Towne is not part of the Right 53.Skip Towne is not part of the Right 53.
Old 01-09-2009, 06:11 PM   #115
Supporter

That would be barbaric and uneccessary.
Iowanian is obviously part of the inner Circle.Iowanian is obviously part of the inner Circle.Iowanian is obviously part of the inner Circle.Iowanian is obviously part of the inner Circle.Iowanian is obviously part of the inner Circle.Iowanian is obviously part of the inner Circle.Iowanian is obviously part of the inner Circle.Iowanian is obviously part of the inner Circle.Iowanian is obviously part of the inner Circle.Iowanian is obviously part of the inner Circle.Iowanian is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 01-09-2009, 06:25 PM   #116
Genious

It's a crazy thought, but I would try talking to them.
KC Jones has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.KC Jones has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.KC Jones has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.KC Jones has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.KC Jones has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.KC Jones has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.KC Jones has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.KC Jones has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.KC Jones has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.KC Jones has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.KC Jones has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.
Old 01-09-2009, 06:26 PM   #117
Custom User Title

I don't know if this has been posted yet, but it'd probably be best if you just talked to them. They probably don't know it's affecting their neighbors so much. No reason to be a dick and call the cops on them.

And without knowing the guy, you don't want to talk to the big scary black man because you think it'll cause a confrontation?
kstater threw an interception on a screen pass.kstater threw an interception on a screen pass.kstater threw an interception on a screen pass.kstater threw an interception on a screen pass.kstater threw an interception on a screen pass.kstater threw an interception on a screen pass.kstater threw an interception on a screen pass.kstater threw an interception on a screen pass.kstater threw an interception on a screen pass.kstater threw an interception on a screen pass.kstater threw an interception on a screen pass.
Old 01-09-2009, 06:48 PM   #118
It's Five O'Clock Somewhere

Bird Bombs............
Bwana is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bwana is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bwana is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bwana is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bwana is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bwana is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bwana is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bwana is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bwana is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bwana is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bwana is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 01-09-2009, 07:20 PM   #119
Hockey Town

If anyone put up a light that shined into my bedroom window, since I like complete darkness when sleeping, I would be really pissed.

I'd go to court before I felt bad about being a dick because my thought would be, you were a dick first putting up that ****ing thing so you get a dick response.
Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 01-09-2009, 07:31 PM   #120
America is great assholes~

I would try a come to Jesus meeting with him first.
RNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.