Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room > Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Old 01-21-2021, 01:23 PM  
__

The logic of drafting OT in the 1st.

What we know about this team is that it typically likes to fill its roster out as much as possible in free agency and then spend its highest picks on potential replacements for job openings a year down the road, and that includes Veach.

I doubt I even need to run down the list but:

2020: CEH --> Williams
2019: Hardman --> Hill/Watkins
2018: Speaks --> Ford/Houston
2017: Mahomes --> Smith

Fisher will be on the last year of his contract, and most of us suspect Schwartz retiring.

The Chiefs obviously like Niang but going OT 1st gives them the options:
  • Niang vs. the rookie for starting RT
  • if the rookie wins, Niang can slide into guard or hold the swing tackle position
  • if Niang wins, the rookie can slide into guard or hold the swing tackle position
  • the Chiefs love Fisher but if both Niang and the rookie excel, maybe they cut bait
  • if only one of them excel, the Chiefs can extend Fisher
It just seems like the kind of move that gives them the flexibility in future decisions that they like to have.

I'd rather they go DE, even if it means trading up for one. But based on what we know, OT could ostensibly solve up to two different OL spots in 2021 and gives them all kinds of options in 2022 based on how 2021 goes.
Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 01-26-2021, 10:21 PM   #181
'Tis my eye!

Quote:
Originally Posted by el borracho View Post
What happened to the logic of drafting BPA in the 1st? The Chiefs are already set at the superstar positions that guarantee 10-12 wins per season minimum. No need to fixate on a specific position at 32- just select the best player with some small consideration given to position (no K, nor P).
BPA has to take into account value.

Drafting a guard or LB at 32 when there's an equivalent DE or WR available is just throwing away draft capital.

The NFL is all about matchups. Playmakers create favorable matchups.

Priority should always be on playmakers first.
htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 01-26-2021, 10:23 PM   #182
Suupraa Geniuuusss

Quote:
Originally Posted by htismaqe View Post
BPA has to take into account value.

Drafting a guard or LB at 32 when there's an equivalent DE or WR available is just throwing away draft capital.

The NFL is all about matchups. Playmakers create favorable matchups.

Priority should always be on playmakers first.
The two mocks I've seen (one was by Kiper, i think) show KC taking either a WR or a DE at 32. I would actually be kind of interested to see what Kohlmann thinks.
Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 01-26-2021, 10:25 PM   #183
'Tis my eye!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Meck View Post
anyway, back to the OP-

In Veach I trust.

But I will say this- the idea of taking an OT at #32 somehow being a 'reach' isn't true I don't think. Unless all the mocks are wrong, there are some quality OT's that should be available in that range. So taking one wouldn't be a "reach".

Also, we've seen Veach "reach" according to experts before, and be right.

So you know. In Veach I trust.

Carry on.
Taking an OT that is already on their board and is slotted at 32 is not a reach.

Taking an OT that wasn't on their board and/or is slotted way later than 32 is.

That's the point - not that taking an OT is an automatic reach but that they shouldn't let the Fisher injury change their draft strategy.
htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 01-27-2021, 12:30 AM   #184
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megatron96 View Post
May have. Don't recall now. But the "basketball" thing seems to ring a bell. But adding 15 lbs of muscle to him won't hurt his agility, I think. Just put a little more sand in his ass.
Here's a couple. Not saying that he's gonna turn out to be as good as these guys let on but still. Good gamble by Bart.

https://walterfootball.com/scoutingr...20pwanogho.php

https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/p...gho/o8dyTWpVhT
mkp785 must have mowed badgirl's lawn.mkp785 must have mowed badgirl's lawn.mkp785 must have mowed badgirl's lawn.mkp785 must have mowed badgirl's lawn.mkp785 must have mowed badgirl's lawn.mkp785 must have mowed badgirl's lawn.mkp785 must have mowed badgirl's lawn.mkp785 must have mowed badgirl's lawn.mkp785 must have mowed badgirl's lawn.mkp785 must have mowed badgirl's lawn.mkp785 must have mowed badgirl's lawn.
Old 01-27-2021, 12:58 AM   #185
Threepeat!

My at-this-point-useless prediction: Chiefs go LB. At # 32, they hope to have a shot at guys like Zaven Collins, Joe Ossai (may not fit), Dylan Moses & Pete Werner. JMHO
T-post Tom is obviously part of the inner Circle.T-post Tom is obviously part of the inner Circle.T-post Tom is obviously part of the inner Circle.T-post Tom is obviously part of the inner Circle.T-post Tom is obviously part of the inner Circle.T-post Tom is obviously part of the inner Circle.T-post Tom is obviously part of the inner Circle.T-post Tom is obviously part of the inner Circle.T-post Tom is obviously part of the inner Circle.T-post Tom is obviously part of the inner Circle.T-post Tom is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 01-27-2021, 01:15 AM   #186
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-post Tom View Post
My at-this-point-useless prediction: Chiefs go LB. At # 32, they hope to have a shot at guys like Zaven Collins, Joe Ossai (may not fit), Dylan Moses & Pete Werner. JMHO
The Chiefs are in a 5-2 most of the time and they have Gay and Hitchens next year as their starters.
DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 01-27-2021, 02:19 AM   #187
Suupraa Geniuuusss

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkp785 View Post
Here's a couple. Not saying that he's gonna turn out to be as good as these guys let on but still. Good gamble by Bart.

https://walterfootball.com/scoutingr...20pwanogho.php

https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/p...gho/o8dyTWpVhT
Meh. We’re just blue skying at this point. The reality is there’s a better than even chance that this guy isn’t even on the team by the time camp starts. Or that he never makes it past the practice squad. It’s just something to talk about until the Super Bowl.
Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 01-27-2021, 03:22 AM   #188
Threepeat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud View Post
The Chiefs are in a 5-2 most of the time and they have Gay and Hitchens next year as their starters.
That does not preclude them from drafting a linebacker with the 32nd pick. Lots of other factors / potential changes with a lower cap coming. (Ex. Sorenson might not return next year. Cutting Hitchens after next season will result in an $8,500,000 cap savings.) Pretty much everything right now is pure speculation anyway.
T-post Tom is obviously part of the inner Circle.T-post Tom is obviously part of the inner Circle.T-post Tom is obviously part of the inner Circle.T-post Tom is obviously part of the inner Circle.T-post Tom is obviously part of the inner Circle.T-post Tom is obviously part of the inner Circle.T-post Tom is obviously part of the inner Circle.T-post Tom is obviously part of the inner Circle.T-post Tom is obviously part of the inner Circle.T-post Tom is obviously part of the inner Circle.T-post Tom is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 01-27-2021, 06:08 AM   #189
'Tis my eye!

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-post Tom View Post
That does not preclude them from drafting a linebacker with the 32nd pick. Lots of other factors / potential changes with a lower cap coming. (Ex. Sorenson might not return next year. Cutting Hitchens after next season will result in an $8,500,000 cap savings.) Pretty much everything right now is pure speculation anyway.
It absolutely SHOULD.

Drafting a LB in the 1st round is terrible value. Even if they needed LB's, it's terrible value.

LB is one of the least valuable positions on the field.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 09:01 AM   #190
In Search of a Life

Quote:
It absolutely SHOULD.

Drafting a LB in the 1st round is terrible value. Even if they needed LB's, it's terrible value.

LB is one of the least valuable positions on the field.
Wouldn't you say drafting a RB in the first is poor value as well?
O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 01-27-2021, 10:24 AM   #191
Black Bob's daddy

Quote:
Taking an OT that is already on their board and is slotted at 32 is not a reach.

Taking an OT that wasn't on their board and/or is slotted way later than 32 is.

That's the point - not that taking an OT is an automatic reach but that they shouldn't let the Fisher injury change their draft strategy.
While I don't think you have to push it to the top of the draft board, I also don't think you can just say it won't change their strategy at all. It clearly will. Tackle depth was already precariously thin on the roster before Fisher went down, now even more so. If they're able to reach an injury settlement with Fisher and then find someone in FA to compete at LT, then that changes things, so we'll just have to wait and see what happens in FA prior to the draft.
OKchiefs is not part of the Right 53.OKchiefs is not part of the Right 53.OKchiefs is not part of the Right 53.OKchiefs is not part of the Right 53.OKchiefs is not part of the Right 53.OKchiefs is not part of the Right 53.OKchiefs is not part of the Right 53.OKchiefs is not part of the Right 53.OKchiefs is not part of the Right 53.OKchiefs is not part of the Right 53.OKchiefs is not part of the Right 53.
Old 01-27-2021, 11:38 AM   #192
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by O.city View Post
No, especially considering that a 1st round running back is going to see far more snaps than a linebacker in a 5-2.

For example, the Patriots had a 1st round RB when they won the Super Bowl against the Rams in Sony Michel. The Rams had a 1st round running back in Gurley in the 2018 Super Bowl and on and on and on.

Just because some teams might be able to find a running back later in the draft doesn't mean that those teams are going to win a Super Bowl.

There's not a chance in hell that the Chiefs are in the Super Bowl this year with Darrel Williams, DeAndre Washington and Darwin Award Thompson.
DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 01-27-2021, 12:33 PM   #193
'Tis my eye!

Quote:
Originally Posted by O.city View Post
Yeah, I would. Leading up to the draft, I would not have drafted CEH.

That being said, I'm far beyond criticizing the stuff that they do so if they decide to take an OL at #32, you won't hear me bitch about it.
Old 01-27-2021, 12:33 PM   #194
'Tis my eye!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKchiefs View Post
While I don't think you have to push it to the top of the draft board, I also don't think you can just say it won't change their strategy at all. It clearly will. Tackle depth was already precariously thin on the roster before Fisher went down, now even more so. If they're able to reach an injury settlement with Fisher and then find someone in FA to compete at LT, then that changes things, so we'll just have to wait and see what happens in FA prior to the draft.
I'm not saying it will or won't. I'm saying it SHOULDN'T.
Old 01-27-2021, 12:43 PM   #195
In Search of a Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud View Post
No, especially considering that a 1st round running back is going to see far more snaps than a linebacker in a 5-2.

For example, the Patriots had a 1st round RB when they won the Super Bowl against the Rams in Sony Michel. The Rams had a 1st round running back in Gurley in the 2018 Super Bowl and on and on and on.

Just because some teams might be able to find a running back later in the draft doesn't mean that those teams are going to win a Super Bowl.

There's not a chance in hell that the Chiefs are in the Super Bowl this year with Darrel Williams, DeAndre Washington and Darwin Award Thompson.
It's not just some teams, it's most if not all teams. The Chiefs won a SB with an UDFA RB leading the way last year.

The Rams with Gurley couldn't get rid of him fast enough when he started breaking down.

The difference between a good and great running back is so small, it's not worth the investment.
O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.