Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Old 02-26-2020, 10:28 PM  
MVP

***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***

A couple of reminders...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwana View Post
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dartgod View Post
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

Last edited by Bearcat; 03-25-2020 at 08:56 AM.. Reason: adding spoiler tag
JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.
Old 04-08-2020, 04:27 PM   #18751
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut View Post
61K down from 81K 2 days ago.

And 140K hospitalized down to 90K.

I mean...I guess they re-fixed their social distancing number. Again.
With all due respect, I don't understand what you're trying to accomplish in this thread.

This virus is unlike anything the world has seen. The best doctors in the world came up with a model and a plan. I don't think anyone would expect that the models wouldn't change on a weekly or even daily basis as more information becomes available.

It's really easy to debate whether or not state, local and foreign governments have made the correct decision in quarantines and lockdowns until after the spread of the disease is minimized or until a vaccine is readily available but until then, no one is either right or wrong.

Now, if this was the 5th or 6th time in the past 100 years or so that these measure were taken, I'd say that there would be far, far less room for error for everyone - governments, scientists, doctors, citizens, etc.

Until then, humans will continue to make mistakes because this is the first time the world has actively worked together to combat a single enemy and viruses don't infect on a straight line.
DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 5 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 04:27 PM   #18752
THIS .... IS... ARROWHEAD!!!!

Quote:
61K down from 81K 2 days ago.

And 140K hospitalized down to 90K.

I mean...I guess they re-fixed their social distancing number. Again.
It will keep dropping I think
BleedingRed is obviously part of the inner Circle.BleedingRed is obviously part of the inner Circle.BleedingRed is obviously part of the inner Circle.BleedingRed is obviously part of the inner Circle.BleedingRed is obviously part of the inner Circle.BleedingRed is obviously part of the inner Circle.BleedingRed is obviously part of the inner Circle.BleedingRed is obviously part of the inner Circle.BleedingRed is obviously part of the inner Circle.BleedingRed is obviously part of the inner Circle.BleedingRed is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-08-2020, 04:31 PM   #18753
THIS .... IS... ARROWHEAD!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donger View Post
Have they even released the details of their "studies" which show they were controlled and scientifically-valid?
https://pubmed.ncbi..nih.gov/32205204/

I dn if this is a valid website, but check it out.
BleedingRed is obviously part of the inner Circle.BleedingRed is obviously part of the inner Circle.BleedingRed is obviously part of the inner Circle.BleedingRed is obviously part of the inner Circle.BleedingRed is obviously part of the inner Circle.BleedingRed is obviously part of the inner Circle.BleedingRed is obviously part of the inner Circle.BleedingRed is obviously part of the inner Circle.BleedingRed is obviously part of the inner Circle.BleedingRed is obviously part of the inner Circle.BleedingRed is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-08-2020, 04:38 PM   #18754
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedingRed View Post
https://pubmed.ncbi..nih.gov/32205204/

I dn if this is a valid website, but check it out.
The headline says it all: Results of an Open-Label Non-Randomized Clinical Trial

They only had 28 participants, which were chosen by the clinicians, not randomized, so this report carries little weight.
DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-08-2020, 04:38 PM   #18755
Sauntering Vaguely Downwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud View Post
With all due respect, I don't understand what you're trying to accomplish in this thread.

This virus is unlike anything the world has seen. The best doctors in the world came up with a model and a plan. I don't think anyone would expect that the models wouldn't change on a weekly or even daily basis as more information becomes available.

It's really easy to debate whether or not state, local and foreign governments have made the correct decision in quarantines and lockdowns until after the spread of the disease is minimized or until a vaccine is readily available but until then, no one is either right or wrong.

Now, if this was the 5th or 6th time in the past 100 years or so that these measure were taken, I'd say that there would be far, far less room for error for everyone - governments, scientists, doctors, citizens, etc.

Until then, humans will continue to make mistakes because this is the first time the world has actively worked together to combat a single enemy and viruses don't infect on a straight line.
To point out that slavish deference to 'experts' will oftentimes have you being fed nothing more than dressier horseshit.

There were obvious reasons at the beginning to look at those models and from their own stated presumptions say "hey guys, this doesn't look remotely right..."

And doing so got you called some sort of slobbering moron. It wasn't hindsight - these concerns were raised in real time and shouted down. By many of the same parties who are STILL shouting people down if you dare suggest something other than the company line.

I'm also trying to point out that making giant policy decisions based on projections and then not waiting for any data to actually flow from them (before doubling down on said projections) is a fools errand.

You can simply toss off the myriad of horrific leadership decisions made throughout this process at state and local levels if you'd like - I don't intend to do so.

Our leadership failed us badly, just not for the reasons so many are screaming about. And because of their overwhelming desire to defer to 'models' that had facially flawed premises, they're still no further along in determining what the appropriate response is.
DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-08-2020, 04:40 PM   #18756
In Search of a Life

The problem i'm seeing is that we locked everything down, it's slowing down. Great.

Now what?
O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 04:41 PM   #18757
Now you've pissed me off!

Quote:
Okay - presuming I flipped the 'why' on how the HCL works (or did a poor job of trying to synthesize my understanding of it) - do you not agree that the present theory requires all 3 components? Or at the very least, 2 of them (the zinc thing has always been more hit/miss; some think it's a bit of a red herring since it already exists in the body).

You can't just toss out a study that doses HCL on its own and say "look - proof this won't accomplish anything..."

The combined impact of HCL and Z-pack seems to be the focus, not just the idea that HCL on its own accomplishes anything. Thanks for clarification on the Z-Pack; my concern has been that the juice needs to be worth the squeeze on this thing. If it turns out we mass doze with azithromycin and in so doing create resistance to it that makes it less effective for those treatments its currently proven VERY good at, we've robbed peter to pay paul. I was hopeful that there were a myriad of broad-spectrum antibiotics that could be used in its stead to avoid that issue.

That's why I've been more than content holding back on using this as a wholesale treatment regiment. The juice has to be worth the squeeze. If it turns out the Z-pack is effective and is the ONLY effective complementary antiobiotic, then we need to make sure it's effective ENOUGH to justify the long-term risk that could come from significant distribution of an antibiotic that could then lead to resistance problems in areas it's effectively treated for years.
1) Don't worry. Azithromycin is not going to be the only useful antibiotic. It's in a class of antibiotics called macrolides. Macrolides as a general rule have immunomodulatory effects across the entire class, and other macrolides have been long used for lung infections (erythromycin, clarithomycin, etc). The reason why azithromycin is used so commonly has to do with infrequency of dose (five days once daily is better than 7 days of BID or 10-14 days of daily dosing) and that it does not have sufficient inhibition of CYP3A4, which will alter levels of other drugs in the body and can lead to toxicity.

2) In most cases, drugs are chosen not because they are absolutely known to be the best shot but because they are the ones that have been previously studied. We use three evidence-based beta blockers to treat HFrEF because they are shown to have a mortality benefit in clinical trials. It doesn't mean that others wouldn't have a mortality benefit, but that there is little point in constructing a large, randomized clinical trial to prove a mortality benefit for something else when we already have numerous other options.

3) The horse is already out of the barn with azithromycin and overprescribing to a degree (high rates of strep pneumo resistance)--that's why the recent IDSA guidelines added beta-lactams (or doxycycline) onto it for any type of complicated community-acquired pneumonia--but it could be mitigated with a different approach. Prophylactic dosing also wouldn't serve much good. You'd be better off saving the doses for those that were infected if the immunomodulatory and antimicrobial effects were actually beneficial. Otherwise, then you are just creating resistance for the hell of it, because azithromycin isn't going to prevent infection (and likely infectiousness) just disease severity once contracted.

4) You are definitely right in that we can't evaluate the efficacy of the therapy without looking at all aspects of the therapy as it was applied rather than piecemeal. At the same time, we can't assume that all "legs" as you put them are equally valid, or that one of the three legs doesn't increase risk (less likely here in acute treatment due to therapy likely being less than a week or so, much more problematic if given prophylactically). Example: triple therapy with anticoagulants/antiplatelets is sometimes used after an MI in patients that are at high risk of stroke due to A-fib and who have recently had a stent. However, bleeding risks are extremely high, and potentially so high that one is better off omitting aspirin and using two other agents with a lower bleed risk because the number that you would harm with to prevent bleeds exceeds the number you would help (called number needed to treat) by preventing a clot.

What should be done in this scenario: Critically evaluate the trial you want to investigate--look at where its shortcomings are--does it have an attrition bias, are the groups truly homogeneous (and appropriately randomized), how effective is the therapy in question even?

Not many people are equipped to do that. I will tell you, having sat in on several journal clubs during rotations and having given many of those presentations myself that preceptors can really drill down and find flaws in studies that one would not expect, and it is a tremendously humbling experience to go through one.

A lot of people can read abstracts, discussions, and commentary. Far fewer can actually find the bodies when sifting through the data.
'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-08-2020, 04:41 PM   #18758

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedingRed View Post
It will keep dropping I think
I mean, they're almost out of room.

Sooner or later they'll just be giving you today's figures in real time and claiming they finally got the model figured out.

Give 'em another week and they'll be throwing out updates that have them coming in under the actuals and chalking it up to their own brilliance.
DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-08-2020, 04:44 PM   #18759
In Search of a Life

Hamas, i was listening to a recent Weinstein brothers pod cast and they were talking about how all the mice we use to run studies on come from a single lab in Maine and that they think they have increased Telomere length due to the genetic breeding they've done.

After reading about that, thats not ideal. Have you heard anything about that?
O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-08-2020, 04:45 PM   #18760

Quote:
Originally Posted by O.city View Post
Hamas, i was listening to a recent Weinstein brothers pod cast and they were talking about how all the mice we use to run studies on come from a single lab in Maine and that they think they have increased Telomere length due to the genetic breeding they've done.

After reading about that, thats not ideal. Have you heard anything about that?
I have not. I wouldn't mind my telomeres being lengthened though.
'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-08-2020, 04:47 PM   #18761
In Search of a Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins View Post
I have not. I wouldn't mind my telomeres being lengthened though.
Well yeah, for sure.

But if the mice we're testing anti cancer drugs and such on have that....welll..thats not ideal
Old 04-08-2020, 04:48 PM   #18762
Best Body On ChiefsPlanet

Quote:
To point out that slavish deference to 'experts' will oftentimes have you being fed nothing more than dressier horseshit.

There were obvious reasons at the beginning to look at those models and from their own stated presumptions say "hey guys, this doesn't look remotely right..."

And doing so got you called some sort of slobbering moron. It wasn't hindsight - these concerns were raised in real time and shouted down. By many of the same parties who are STILL shouting people down if you dare suggest something other than the company line.

I'm also trying to point out that making giant policy decisions based on projections and then not waiting for any data to actually flow from them (before doubling down on said projections) is a fools errand.

You can simply toss off the myriad of horrific leadership decisions made throughout this process at state and local levels if you'd like - I don't intend to do so.

Our leadership failed us badly, just not for the reasons so many are screaming about. And because of their overwhelming desire to defer to 'models' that had facially flawed premises, they're still no further along in determining what the appropriate response is.
What would you change? You wouldn't practice social distancing because not enough ppl are dying like the model said they would? Almost 2k deaths today. I dont understand your point here.

Our medical professionals made a model and due to that model we are practicing social distancing and we are saving countless lives.. I think that's a good thing don't you?
PAChiefsGuy Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.PAChiefsGuy Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.PAChiefsGuy Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.PAChiefsGuy Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.PAChiefsGuy Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.PAChiefsGuy Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.PAChiefsGuy Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.PAChiefsGuy Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.PAChiefsGuy Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.PAChiefsGuy Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.PAChiefsGuy Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.
Old 04-08-2020, 04:48 PM   #18763

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins View Post
Spoiler!
Yeah, the prophylactic use seemed reeeaaaallll spotty to me. Didn't like that idea at all.

And regarding the respective component parts, I'm not at all suggesting that each one of them are equally important...at least not in terms of the 'ratios' or whatever kind of attempts to rank order them one would try. But if HCL is Patrick Mahomes, it stands to reason that the Z-Pack could be his OL? The heavy hitter can't do its thing if it doesn't have the supporting cast in place. So in the end, the heavy hitter...isn't.

But yes, as part of studying all that, you need to confirm every component part doesn't create a problem in its own right. Which is ultimately what I'm most concerned about with this cocktail (Zinc, whether it matters or not, doesn't worry me).

But NONE of that is to say that this thing isn't worth continued pursuit. There seems to be definite signs that it's doing something more than Mentos and bag of Cheetos would.
Old 04-08-2020, 04:49 PM   #18764

Quote:
Originally Posted by O.city View Post
Well yeah, for sure.

But if the mice we're testing anti cancer drugs and such on have that....welll..thats not ideal
You always need human population studies for FDA approval, and approval is going to come from Kaplan-Meier survival curves and PFS, anyway.

Send me the link, though. It sounds interesting.
Old 04-08-2020, 04:52 PM   #18765
Banned

Pic from LA. That large sand pit is Dodger Stadium parking.

eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.