Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room > Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Old 05-01-2024, 05:34 AM  
__

Nate Taylor: some draft tidbits

On a recent episode of his podcast Only Weird Games, Nate Taylor provided some draft tidbits on the 1st two rounds.
  • The Chiefs attitude going into the draft was "how can we better serve Mahomes."
  • Around pick 16/17, the Chiefs started making move-up phone calls. They wanted to move up into the teens.
  • They were super interested in Amarius Mims. They felt he was "the first prospect they felt they could go get."
  • They felt that Brian Thomas Jr. was not going to be "in range." He went 23rd, so Nate argues that they could have tried to go get him. But their next big prospect they loved was Worthy.
  • In part they valued getting a WR in the 1st if a tackle didn't work out because that 5th year option will be so financially valuable.
  • They then tried to draft up into the early 50s in the 2nd round.
  • They were nervous as hell that Baltimore would take Kingsley.
  • Taylor suggests the one-pick trade-up for Kingsley may have been a "psychological play," indicating to Kingsley that they were willing to burn resources to snag him.
Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-01-2024, 12:06 PM   #16
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Direckshun View Post
[*]Taylor suggests the one-pick trade-up for Kingsley may have been a "psychological play," indicating to Kingsley that they were willing to burn resources to snag him.[/list]
WTF is he talking about? Drafting Kingsley in any spot would indicate a willingness to burn resources to get him, that resource being a draft pick.

I also don't care for the implication that Veach is mentally reeruned and would do something like that.
ThrobProng ....proof positive that somebody pissed in the gene pool.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 1     Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2024, 04:13 PM   #17
Generational Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunKC View Post
Give me Kingsley over Mims all day. I loved Mims ceiling but he’s constantly hurt.

Kingsley has a really high ceiling too IMO. His size/strength/athleticism and with Andy Heck he could be the best value pick in the entire draft
Mims is an interesting cat. Incredible athletic talent but his current ability to play the position looks high school at this point.

So he can probably get by as a starter anyway just using his athleticism but the question is can he get farther.

Kingsley is also prototype but looks like he won't be ready for jump up just yet. If game slows down for Kingsley he can be at least an OBJ quality tackle.
MahomesMagic has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.MahomesMagic has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.MahomesMagic has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.MahomesMagic has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.MahomesMagic has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.MahomesMagic has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.MahomesMagic has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.MahomesMagic has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.MahomesMagic has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.MahomesMagic has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.MahomesMagic has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.
Old 05-01-2024, 04:24 PM   #18
Sauntering Vaguely Downwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunKC View Post
Give me Kingsley over Mims all day. I loved Mims ceiling but he’s constantly hurt.

Kingsley has a really high ceiling too IMO. His size/strength/athleticism and with Andy Heck he could be the best value pick in the entire draft
I think Kingsley can pass protect at/above the level of Wanya Morris as soon as week 1. The concerns might be, if Thuney is also out, reliability if protections are tinkered with at the line.

With Kingsley I mostly worry about him getting steamrolled in the run game with the inconsistency he demonstrates with pad level, etc...
DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-01-2024, 10:44 PM   #19
SuperBowl or bust

Kingskeys gonna be a fun one leading the charge on the misdirections/screens/etc Andy loves to dial up. The kid can really get a head of steam going and moves as well as damn near any OT I’ve seen.

Him out in front of Worthy on reverses is going to be “special”.
BossChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BossChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BossChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BossChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BossChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BossChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BossChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BossChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BossChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BossChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BossChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-02-2024, 09:10 AM   #20
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by O.city View Post
I can't handle those 3 idiots talking and laughing. It's unprofessional as all ****
I mean its a pod cast not a news cast. 99% of why I listen is for Seth though. Josh has no original takes, Nate seems like an iffy insider with a true fans understanding of the league and Seth while not always right is at least trying to dig up something in the film.
Dunerdr is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Dunerdr is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Dunerdr is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Dunerdr is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Dunerdr is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Dunerdr is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Dunerdr is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Dunerdr is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Dunerdr is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Dunerdr is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Dunerdr is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.
Old 05-02-2024, 09:12 AM   #21
Hockey Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunerdr View Post
I mean its a pod cast not a news cast. 99% of why I listen is for Seth though. Josh has no original takes, Nate seems like an iffy insider with a true fans understanding of the league and Seth while not always right is at least trying to dig up something in the film.
It's always weird to me when people who get paid for this gig know less than posters on our forum.
Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-02-2024, 09:14 AM   #22
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mecca View Post
It's always weird to me when people who get paid for this gig know less than posters on our forum.
That's almost any podcast honestly but this forum is a bit of a gem. If you cruise by other teams forums its basically arrowhead prides comment section of homers.
Dunerdr is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Dunerdr is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Dunerdr is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Dunerdr is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Dunerdr is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Dunerdr is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Dunerdr is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Dunerdr is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Dunerdr is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Dunerdr is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Dunerdr is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.
Old 05-02-2024, 09:15 AM   #23
MVP

But also one of thems qualifications is got hired by a radio station because of his education and the other got hired by the athletic to be a football reporter after being a basketball reporter. They aren't coaches, they didn't play at a high level I don't know if any of them played at all actually. At least Seth does the study to try and learn it on a deeper level I respect the effort if nothing else.
Old 05-02-2024, 09:37 AM   #24
Hockey Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunerdr View Post
But also one of thems qualifications is got hired by a radio station because of his education and the other got hired by the athletic to be a football reporter after being a basketball reporter. They aren't coaches, they didn't play at a high level I don't know if any of them played at all actually. At least Seth does the study to try and learn it on a deeper level I respect the effort if nothing else.
It goes to show that sometimes people get jobs they shouldn't have. I would argue most of the guys that work on radio know far less than people posting here yet the radio station wouldn't give us a second look.
Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 09:42 AM   #25
MVP

Quote:
It goes to show that sometimes people get jobs they shouldn't have. I would argue most of the guys that work on radio know far less than people posting here yet the radio station wouldn't give us a second look.
Every ex college level QB should be pushing for these radio jobs honestly.
Old 05-02-2024, 09:48 AM   #26

Quote:
It's fascinating to listen to former coaches when they get on these shows and recognize exactly how informed they are.

Belichick and Saban just killed it, for example. Their depth of knowledge is SO far beyond ours.

But I'd imagine even a guy like Staley, who looked like a complete nitwit most days, would just wipe the floor with us. I talked about Bob Sutton way back in the day and said that if he ever showed up on CP as a poster, he'd ****ing embarrass us. He'd absolutely massacre even the most knowledgeable amongst us.

And yeah, I'd guess that trickles down a bit. But I do wonder if college QBs would be quite enough. We might be getting there as college offenses get a little more complicated. But I don't think it used to be the case that many of those guys could come out and smoke us on the radio.

Maybe guys like Dorsey or Daniel - dudes who were really working through the game out there (and often ended up looking to coaching gigs at some point) but I don't think rank and file college QBs would really be next level.

I mean Ryan Leaf sometimes has some interesting insight but he also was in the NFL and did a little coaching as well.

Mostly I think you could take any swinging dick power 5 or above coordinator or HC and just make just about everyone else look silly.
DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-02-2024, 09:52 AM   #27
Hockey Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut View Post
It's fascinating to listen to former coaches when they get on these shows and recognize exactly how informed they are.

Belichick and Saban just killed it, for example. Their depth of knowledge is SO far beyond ours.

But I'd imagine even a guy like Staley, who looked like a complete nitwit most days, would just wipe the floor with us. I talked about Bob Sutton way back in the day and said that if he ever showed up on CP as a poster, he'd ****ing embarrass us. He'd absolutely massacre even the most knowledgeable amongst us.

And yeah, I'd guess that trickles down a bit. But I do wonder if college QBs would be quite enough. We might be getting there as college offenses get a little more complicated. But I don't think it used to be the case that many of those guys could come out and smoke us on the radio.

Maybe guys like Dorsey or Daniel - dudes who were really working through the game out there (and often ended up looking to coaching gigs at some point) but I don't think rank and file college QBs would really be next level.

I mean Ryan Leaf sometimes has some interesting insight but he also was in the NFL and did a little coaching as well.

Mostly I think you could take any swinging dick power 5 or above coordinator or HC and just make just about everyone else look silly.
Obviously people like that can bring a different insight which is always interesting. The issue I have is how many people literally don't know a god damn thing that have these jobs.
Old 05-02-2024, 09:53 AM   #28
In Search of a Life

Quote:

Kinda comes back to my "there's always a reason" thoughts when coaches do things that people question.

We evaluate results, which of course we do, but results are alot of times.....well **** they're kinda random luck.
O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-02-2024, 10:25 AM   #29
M-I-Z-Z-O-U

Quote:
The only counter I can reasonably come up with is that if you're the team looking to jump to 63 and the 49ers say "Lemme call you back..." then you KNOW why they're doing it. In that case I say "oh no, sir. You take it now or it's not on the table. I'm not gonna have you leveraging my offer to a team I'm needing to get in front of. We don't have time for this nonsense. I've offered you a fair deal and you can take it or leave it..."

Which is a risk, for sure. But in a timed situation like that when you're looking at zero sum outcomes, you really can't let a team have a free hand like that. You need to put a deadline on that sort of offer.
To me, it's more likely a team is tracking who they're likely to have competing interest on a player from (including whatever tidbits or sources they've uncovered) and looking at the board for the team on the clock AND past histories. It's an intricate web of relationships and these teams spend a lot of time prepping on that stuff.

Quote:

Belichick was amazing. Take what he said about Amarius Mims, for example. Turned me ALL THE WAY off on him.

He pointed out the injury prone nature and him taking himself out of games. He pointed out the physical stature, his HS background, and how he had always been freakishly larger and stronger than everyone around him going back to HS.

Guys with profiles like that rarely succeed in the NFL. Good luck, Bengos (but really, go **** yourselves, I hope this blows up in your faces like Isaiah Wilson did on the Titans).
duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-02-2024, 10:54 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho View Post

Belichick was amazing. Take what he said about Amarius Mims, for example. Turned me ALL THE WAY off on him.

He pointed out the injury prone nature and him taking himself out of games. He pointed out the physical stature, his HS background, and how he had always been freakishly larger and stronger than everyone around him going back to HS.

Guys with profiles like that rarely succeed in the NFL. Good luck, Bengos (but really, go **** yourselves, I hope this blows up in your faces like Isaiah Wilson did on the Titans).
You don't get much out of Andy in this regard, but when he talks offensive line I stand up and listen.

That guy is so good at identifying/teaching the OL. He's so intricate and precise in his knowledge and how he imparts it. It's none of that bullshit high school coach speak that you often hear. "Be the hammer or you'll be the nail!"

No, it's specific stuff. "Get your punch up here and use this hand to turn their shoulder and this hand right here into their chest just as their inside foot comes up bend your back and drive..."

I mean he understands this stuff so well. He knows all the little tricks and does such a good job relaying it to his guys.

And that's before you get to all the stuff he actually gets credit for; the scheme specific stuff he does and what not.

He's just the bees knees, fellas.