Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Old 12-02-2004, 01:25 PM  
Beyond the Rapids

Gonzalez vs. other great TE's

I was having a discussion with some others on where Tony ranks now as opposed to where they think he might rank when he retires among the great tight ends of all time.

It was interesting to look up the numbers. I dont know if I am leaving anyone worthy out of the figures, someone please remind me if that is the case.

Career Numbers: (Tony is about 3/4 through his 8th season, but for simplicity's sake I just called it 8 seasons in the calculations later)

Tony Gonzalez - ~8 seasons, 532 rec, 6485 yd, 52 TD
Shannon Sharpe - 14 seasons, 815 rec, 10060 yd, 62 TD
Kellen Winslow - 9 seasons, 541 rec, 6741 yd, 45 TD
Ozzie Newsome - 13 seasons, 662 rec, 7980 yd, 47 TD
Jackie Smith - 16 seasons, 480 rec, 7918 yd, 40 TD

Per season:

Gonzalez - 66.5 rec, 810.6 yd, 6.5 TD
Sharpe - 58.2 rec, 718.6 yd, 4.4 TD
Winslow - 60.1 rec, 749 yd, 5 TD
Newsome - 50.9 rec, 613.8 yd, 3.6 TD
Smith - 30 rec, 494.8 yd, 2.5 TD **

**Smith's per-season averages are skewed here because his last 4 seasons were plagued by injuries and only resulted in 21 receptions.

Given these numbers, if we extrapolate Tony's current rate of production, he would pass Sharpe in these three categories in...

receptions (needs 283), in 4.25 more seasons
yards (3575), in 4.4 more seasons
touchdowns (10), in 2 more seasons

Thought this was interesting stuff. Anyone I left off the list? Any thoughts on who the greatest is?
Eleazar is obviously part of the inner Circle.Eleazar is obviously part of the inner Circle.Eleazar is obviously part of the inner Circle.Eleazar is obviously part of the inner Circle.Eleazar is obviously part of the inner Circle.Eleazar is obviously part of the inner Circle.Eleazar is obviously part of the inner Circle.Eleazar is obviously part of the inner Circle.Eleazar is obviously part of the inner Circle.Eleazar is obviously part of the inner Circle.Eleazar is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 12-02-2004, 01:34 PM   #2
In Search of a Life

At this time, Sharpe is still better than Tony G. Sharpe has 3 Super Bowl rings and has played BIG in more big games than Tony. Hopefully , before its all said and done with Tony will get a ring too.
Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 12-02-2004, 01:36 PM   #3
Beyond the Rapids

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deberg_1990
At this time, Sharpe is still better than Tony G. Sharpe has 3 Super Bowl rings and has played BIG in more big games than Tony. Hopefully , before its all said and done with Tony will get a ring too.
I dont think you can evaluate players based on rings. Teams win super bowls not individuals.

By that logic, you have to put Emmitt Smith above Walter Payton because Payton only got 1 ring, and way ahead of Barry Sanders because he never got one at all.
Eleazar is obviously part of the inner Circle.Eleazar is obviously part of the inner Circle.Eleazar is obviously part of the inner Circle.Eleazar is obviously part of the inner Circle.Eleazar is obviously part of the inner Circle.Eleazar is obviously part of the inner Circle.Eleazar is obviously part of the inner Circle.Eleazar is obviously part of the inner Circle.Eleazar is obviously part of the inner Circle.Eleazar is obviously part of the inner Circle.Eleazar is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 12-02-2004, 01:38 PM   #4
Grandson of Darth Vader

But, but, but, but what about Antonio Gates??? He's going to be better than Jerry Rice after he plays for 18 years !!!! Come on guys. You're leaving out the greatest TE in NFL history. What a bunch of homers you are.
Kylo Ren must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Kylo Ren must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Kylo Ren must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Kylo Ren must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Kylo Ren must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Kylo Ren must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Kylo Ren must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Kylo Ren must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Kylo Ren must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Kylo Ren must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Kylo Ren must have mowed badgirl's lawn.
Old 12-02-2004, 01:50 PM   #5
NFL's #1 Ermines Fan

Interesting analysis. Tony is stacking up quite well.

Setting aside Tony for a moment since he's still active, I'd say that Winslow and Newsome set the standard for tight ends.

Other top TEs, in my opinion, are Jackie Smith, Riley Odoms, Charlie Sanders, Mickey Shuler, Ben Coates, and Shannon Sharpe, even though Sharpe was really just a big wide receiver.

Brent Jones, Dave Casper, Todd Christenson, Mike Ditka, and Jay Novacek were all overrated in my opinion. They were good, but they're weren't top tier. I'd put Ted Kwalik and Jerry Smith above them.
Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 12-02-2004, 01:56 PM   #6
Free Born Man of the USA

He sucks. I say we trade him for the highest available draft pick.
beavis has disabled reputation
Old 12-02-2004, 01:59 PM   #7
Super Grover

Not including this season this is what you are looking for
[/url]

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=90238
KingPriest2 is not part of the Right 53.KingPriest2 is not part of the Right 53.KingPriest2 is not part of the Right 53.KingPriest2 is not part of the Right 53.KingPriest2 is not part of the Right 53.KingPriest2 is not part of the Right 53.KingPriest2 is not part of the Right 53.KingPriest2 is not part of the Right 53.KingPriest2 is not part of the Right 53.KingPriest2 is not part of the Right 53.KingPriest2 is not part of the Right 53.
Old 12-02-2004, 02:00 PM   #8
Free Born Man of the USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingPriest2
Not including this season this is what you are looking for

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/newre...te=1&p=1740240
The reply button?
Old 12-02-2004, 02:05 PM   #9
Super Grover

Quote:
Originally Posted by beavis
The reply button?
Fixed now.
KingPriest2 is not part of the Right 53.KingPriest2 is not part of the Right 53.KingPriest2 is not part of the Right 53.KingPriest2 is not part of the Right 53.KingPriest2 is not part of the Right 53.KingPriest2 is not part of the Right 53.KingPriest2 is not part of the Right 53.KingPriest2 is not part of the Right 53.KingPriest2 is not part of the Right 53.KingPriest2 is not part of the Right 53.KingPriest2 is not part of the Right 53.
Old 12-02-2004, 02:06 PM   #10
No Keys, No Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cochise
I dont think you can evaluate players based on rings. Teams win super bowls not individuals.

By that logic, you have to put Emmitt Smith above Walter Payton because Payton only got 1 ring, and way ahead of Barry Sanders because he never got one at all.
I do think the ES has surpassed Sweetness and Sanders.
Garcia Bronco has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Garcia Bronco has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Garcia Bronco has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Garcia Bronco has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Garcia Bronco has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Garcia Bronco has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Garcia Bronco has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Garcia Bronco has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Garcia Bronco has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Garcia Bronco has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Garcia Bronco has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.
Old 12-02-2004, 02:21 PM   #11
In Search of a Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia Bronco
Sanders perhaps, I dont think sweetness though. Emmit was a MUCH better short yardage back than Sanders could have ever dreamt of being. That is where games are won and lost.
Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 12-02-2004, 02:23 PM   #12
Free Born Man of the USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia Bronco
Not even close. What Sanders did with little to no surrounding talent is nothing short of amazing. I still maintain that if Smith hadn't played behind that line for all those years, we wouldn't even be mentioning him in the same breath.
Old 12-02-2004, 02:33 PM   #13
Beyond the Rapids

Barry Sanders is the best I ever saw, but I'm only 25. Not old enough to remember Payton even.
Old 12-02-2004, 02:40 PM   #14
In Search of a Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by beavis
Not even close. What Sanders did with little to no surrounding talent is nothing short of amazing. I still maintain that if Smith hadn't played behind that line for all those years, we wouldn't even be mentioning him in the same breath.
Sanders was awesume and exciting to watch, dont get me wrong, but he sucked in short yardage. He was notorious for running 7 or 8 times and only gaining about 10 yards, then he would break a long one for 60 or 70 yards.
Old 12-02-2004, 03:22 PM   #15
Banned

As a complete tight end, I'd put Sterling Sharpe ahead of Shannon Sharpe. Too bad about his neck injury.
Braincase is too fat/Omaha.Braincase is too fat/Omaha.Braincase is too fat/Omaha.Braincase is too fat/Omaha.Braincase is too fat/Omaha.Braincase is too fat/Omaha.Braincase is too fat/Omaha.Braincase is too fat/Omaha.Braincase is too fat/Omaha.Braincase is too fat/Omaha.Braincase is too fat/Omaha.