Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Old 01-27-2021, 07:56 PM  
MONTANA #19

Received a water bill for a home that I haven’t owned for 4 years...

Hoping someone who know something about real estate closings and liabilities of buyers and sellers might be able to answer a question. I live in Kansas. Four years ago I moved from one city to another in the same county. At closing, it was agreed that all utilities would be left on for the new owner. This week I received a water bill from the previous city stating that I have charges due with a threat to send it to collections if I don’t pay. My question is I hope a simple one. After closing is completed on a property in the state of Kansas, do any remaining water/utility bills become the liability of the new owner? Or am I really on the hook for this? Many thanks for any help.
arrowheadnation Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.arrowheadnation Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.arrowheadnation Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.arrowheadnation Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.arrowheadnation Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.arrowheadnation Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.arrowheadnation Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.arrowheadnation Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.arrowheadnation Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.arrowheadnation Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.arrowheadnation Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.
Old 01-27-2021, 08:26 PM   #2
The Demon Preacher

I have always had to call the utility company and cancel the service any time I've sold a house... the new owner has the responsibility of calling in and setting up service under their name.

The new homeowner wouldn't have the right or ability to cancel service on your behalf. If you didn't call and cancel it, you may very well be on the hook for it.

/source - just sold a home in Kansas, I held a realtor's license, and my mother is still a realtor.
Mephistopheles Janx has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Mephistopheles Janx has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Mephistopheles Janx has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Mephistopheles Janx has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Mephistopheles Janx has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Mephistopheles Janx has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Mephistopheles Janx has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Mephistopheles Janx has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Mephistopheles Janx has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Mephistopheles Janx has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Mephistopheles Janx has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.
Old 01-27-2021, 08:30 PM   #3
Fish are scared of me

I would make a copy of the sales contract for the property and send it to the utility company and state you're not responsible for the bill.

and if you haven't received a monthly Bill for 4 years it may just be as simple as they rebooted their system and it defaulted back to an earlier time. That has happened to me several times. Give them a call.
Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 3 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 08:33 PM   #4
Veteran

When I sold my house in one town I contacted the city utilities and had it set to disconnect two days after closing. So it was still on for the new owners but had a cancelation date on my account.

That said, the house I bought from my brother in a different city on rural electric I just had switched from his name to mine. I dont think he had to call in or anything
tyecopeland 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellityecopeland 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellityecopeland 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellityecopeland 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellityecopeland 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellityecopeland 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellityecopeland 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellityecopeland 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellityecopeland 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellityecopeland 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellityecopeland 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitelli
Old 01-27-2021, 08:36 PM   #5
Fish are scared of me

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyecopeland View Post
When I sold my house in one town I contacted the city utilities and had it set to disconnect two days after closing. So it was still on for the new owners but had a cancelation date on my account.

That said, the house I bought from my brother in a different city on rural electric I just had switched from his name to mine. I dont think he had to call in or anything
Ah , that brings up a good point. Since he never canceled maybe the people moved out , had it taken out of their name and it reverted back to previous owner.
Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 01-28-2021, 08:09 AM   #6
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyecopeland View Post

I did the same on the MO side. Had the shut off day 2 days after closing to give the new owners time to set up water in their name.
Sorce is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Sorce is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Sorce is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Sorce is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Sorce is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Sorce is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Sorce is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Sorce is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Sorce is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Sorce is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Sorce is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.
Old 01-28-2021, 05:28 PM   #7
Cool as a Cucumber

When I worked for our city if water bills became delinquent and remained unpaid we would certify it to the county clerk and have it added to the property taxes.
KS Smitty has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.KS Smitty has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.KS Smitty has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.KS Smitty has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.KS Smitty has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.KS Smitty has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.KS Smitty has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.KS Smitty has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.KS Smitty has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.KS Smitty has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.KS Smitty has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.
Old 01-28-2021, 05:39 PM   #8
Admitted Planet Junky

Yeah, you are gonna have to pay this most likely.
You can check the paperwork from closing and double-check. Either way though most likely since you left it in your name you are accepting responsibility for that water bill during that time. Keep in mind that utility bills run a month behind. So if it is only a month's bill you probably did owe it either way.
Chief Roundup has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Chief Roundup has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Chief Roundup has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Chief Roundup has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Chief Roundup has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Chief Roundup has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Chief Roundup has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Chief Roundup has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Chief Roundup has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Chief Roundup has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Chief Roundup has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.
Old 01-28-2021, 06:00 PM   #9
It's Five O'Clock Somewhere

How big of a bill is it?
Bwana is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bwana is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bwana is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bwana is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bwana is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bwana is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bwana is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bwana is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bwana is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bwana is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bwana is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 01-28-2021, 06:08 PM   #10
Politically Incorrect

The fact that you are claiming this is 4 years old is not adding up.

Is this the first time you ever got this bill?

Is it just a small amount like $30 for a short period for arrears that someone forgot to pay?

If this is the first time the billed you for this oversight, they aren't going to threaten collections.

I would 100% call the water company directly for clarification.

There is something missing from your story.
scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 06:36 PM   #11
Like I woke up in Wonderland..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hog's Gone Fishin View Post
Ah , that brings up a good point. Since he never canceled maybe the people moved out , had it taken out of their name and it reverted back to previous owner.
That's what I was thinking, although I wasn't sure if that has more to do with renters/landlord. (Renter moves out, it goes back to landlord)
sedated is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.sedated is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.sedated is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.sedated is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.sedated is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.sedated is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.sedated is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.sedated is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.sedated is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.sedated is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.sedated is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.
Old 01-28-2021, 08:19 PM   #12
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwana View Post
How big of a bill is it?
14” CP standard
Flying High D is too fat/Omaha.Flying High D is too fat/Omaha.Flying High D is too fat/Omaha.Flying High D is too fat/Omaha.Flying High D is too fat/Omaha.Flying High D is too fat/Omaha.Flying High D is too fat/Omaha.Flying High D is too fat/Omaha.Flying High D is too fat/Omaha.Flying High D is too fat/Omaha.Flying High D is too fat/Omaha.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 11:53 PM   #13
MVP

You left out the most important detail, how much was the bill?
SuperBowl4 is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.SuperBowl4 is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.SuperBowl4 is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.SuperBowl4 is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.SuperBowl4 is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.SuperBowl4 is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.SuperBowl4 is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.SuperBowl4 is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.SuperBowl4 is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.SuperBowl4 is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.SuperBowl4 is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.