Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Old 05-16-2022, 12:42 PM  
Damn it feels good.

Have you ever used a personal trainer?

Long story short, my wife and I are both starting a new journey w/ fitness and food. We're seeing a dietician soon to get some help with the food part, but we've also been considering getting a personal trainer (either one for both of us or separate - either option is on the table).

Does anyone here have experience with one? What are some good questions to ask to make sure I get the "right" one? Any tips to set us up for success in this process?
SuperChief is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.SuperChief is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.SuperChief is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.SuperChief is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.SuperChief is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.SuperChief is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.SuperChief is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.SuperChief is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.SuperChief is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.SuperChief is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.SuperChief is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.
Old 05-16-2022, 04:58 PM   #61
Rockin' yer FACE OFF!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupDock View Post
This is mostly wrong, at least if your primary goal is weight loss. I’m not saying it’s wrong for everyone, it’s just usually wrong in my experience when dealing someone who has struglgled for years with losing weight. People know what it means to eat healthy, they just can’t sustainably do it.

The only thing at you lose weight is with a calorie deficit. All the diets, all the workouts are just mechanisms to create a deficit. Someone who cannot succeed with weight loss needs to find a long term way to create deficit

When I am counseling on weight loss, sometimes I don’t even talk about macro quality. People need to focus on volume eating. They need to find low calorie high volume foods so they can feel full. To me this is a different conversation than someone who is looking for dietary changes to be more healthy.
That is a good point. When I started, I was really wanting to lose weight. But as I went along, I realized that muscle burns fat, and in my case, I was doing Orange Theory 4 times a week. The older I get, the longer recovery time I find I need. Now, I'm at 3 times a week, but it DOES mean I have to watch my intake. I guess what I meant was, some calories are better than others. I used to use Fitness Pal, which wanted me to consume like 1800 calories a day, which was very difficult. My coach wanted me to concentrate on protein,and bump up to about 2300 to 2500 a day. I settled on 2300, and that seemed to do the trick for me.

Like I said, I really haven't lost a ton of weight, but I'm definitely more fit than I was. In fact, in many ways I'm in better shape now than I was 20 years ago, except for the recovery and joint shit and back pain that seems to come with 51 years on the planet. Right now I'm about 205. Started at 215. So, occasionally I'd dip below 200 but for the most part, I seem to be a 205 pound guy. At 5'10", most people are surprised I weigh over 200, so that's proof enough for me. I'm not trying to be a fitness model, I just want to be in shape and healthy. OT has definitely helped me get there. But, ya gotta stick with it.

At the end of the day, you have to do what's right for you. The trainers at OT work with people individually, cuz one size definitely does not fit all.
InChiefsHeaven is obviously part of the inner Circle.InChiefsHeaven is obviously part of the inner Circle.InChiefsHeaven is obviously part of the inner Circle.InChiefsHeaven is obviously part of the inner Circle.InChiefsHeaven is obviously part of the inner Circle.InChiefsHeaven is obviously part of the inner Circle.InChiefsHeaven is obviously part of the inner Circle.InChiefsHeaven is obviously part of the inner Circle.InChiefsHeaven is obviously part of the inner Circle.InChiefsHeaven is obviously part of the inner Circle.InChiefsHeaven is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-16-2022, 05:00 PM   #62
"You like to drink?"

Couldn't commit to a personal trainer due to cost, which sucked because I believed their coaching of proper technique was unlike anything I've ever experienced.
Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-16-2022, 05:02 PM   #63
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by InChiefsHeaven View Post
That is a good point. When I started, I was really wanting to lose weight. But as I went along, I realized that muscle burns fat, and in my case, I was doing Orange Theory 4 times a week. The older I get, the longer recovery time I find I need. Now, I'm at 3 times a week, but it DOES mean I have to watch my intake. I guess what I meant was, some calories are better than others. I used to use Fitness Pal, which wanted me to consume like 1800 calories a day, which was very difficult. My coach wanted me to concentrate on protein,and bump up to about 2300 to 2500 a day. I settled on 2300, and that seemed to do the trick for me.

Like I said, I really haven't lost a ton of weight, but I'm definitely more fit than I was. In fact, in many ways I'm in better shape now than I was 20 years ago, except for the recovery and joint shit and back pain that seems to come with 51 years on the planet. Right now I'm about 205. Started at 215. So, occasionally I'd dip below 200 but for the most part, I seem to be a 205 pound guy. At 5'10", most people are surprised I weigh over 200, so that's proof enough for me. I'm not trying to be a fitness model, I just want to be in shape and healthy. OT has definitely helped me get there. But, ya gotta stick with it.

At the end of the day, you have to do what's right for you. The trainers at OT work with people individually, cuz one size definitely does not fit all.

That’s exactly right. And I am generally speaking about people who aren’t workout and aren’t interested in gaining strength. For someone who is exercising, creating a calorie surplus with adequate protein, there is some evidence they can recomp their body by losing fat and gaining muscle simultaneously
SupDock would the whole thing.SupDock would the whole thing.SupDock would the whole thing.SupDock would the whole thing.SupDock would the whole thing.SupDock would the whole thing.SupDock would the whole thing.SupDock would the whole thing.SupDock would the whole thing.SupDock would the whole thing.SupDock would the whole thing.
Old 05-16-2022, 05:41 PM   #64
Would an idiot do that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detoxing View Post
Well, if it's Bench Press we're talking about, there's no going to failure w/o a spotter. So in a lot of instances going to failure isn't even an option therefore a rep or two short of failure is the best you're going to do.

And i sure AF ain't going to failure with any rep that involves weights being lifted over my head. So things like Dumbbell shoulder presses will always be a few reps short of failure.

Bicep curls, chair dips etc are all "failure-fair-game".
I didn't have a lot in terms of free weights, but can do most anything with the cable/rack setup. I can bench from it, which gives full range of motion. It's not like a Smith machine, so you still have to stabilize the weight, and I probably can't kill myself if I do go to failure.

The physics of it probably isn't exactly the same... the weight isn't 1:1 (it's fairly close though) and you don't have that initial stabilizing and moving the weight forward, but it's pretty damn close.

It's nice for things like shoulder press and triceps extensions, too.

I still mix in dumbbell press and behind the head dumbbell extensions and such... I have found those help even more with stabilizing weight and of course have more range for the former without a bar across your chest.
Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-16-2022, 06:16 PM   #65
NFL's #1 Ermines Fan

It's 20 percent cheaper to hire a personal esteem trainer to make you feel good about being overweight and out of shape.
Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 06:26 PM   #66
Inmem 2.0

Just find a site that that sends tren
Titty Meat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Titty Meat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Titty Meat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Titty Meat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Titty Meat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Titty Meat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Titty Meat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Titty Meat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Titty Meat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Titty Meat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Titty Meat is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-16-2022, 06:36 PM   #67
MVP

There is a pretty good app called “Strong” that lets you create custom workouts, track sets and reps.

It is what I use to try and make sure I’m working out harder than last time.

It is free to use if you only utilize 3 custom routines. I like it.
SupDock would the whole thing.SupDock would the whole thing.SupDock would the whole thing.SupDock would the whole thing.SupDock would the whole thing.SupDock would the whole thing.SupDock would the whole thing.SupDock would the whole thing.SupDock would the whole thing.SupDock would the whole thing.SupDock would the whole thing.
Old 05-16-2022, 06:45 PM   #68
best in the biz

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupDock View Post
I go down so I can keep my reps in the 10-12 range. Otherwise my last set would only be a couple reps. You want “time under tension” which is why the number of reps matter. If you go to failure, you will generally struggle to hit the same reps with the same weight on the next set. That is why I drop the weight.

There is definitely more than one way to have success though. I am not really trying to hit a personal record.

A fascinating transition for me, was when I was getting closer to my goal weight, I had to increase my calories to keep up my performance while exercising. I had never had that experience. It was weird transitioning to needing to eat more.
Ya, that was the trippy part. You lose weight first then add muscle, and most of your gains are in the first two years. I was drinking protein shakes and losing weight(fat)

It's been a good system for me. On that third set when I can start going past 10-12 reps is when I jump everything up ten pounds, and that third set becomes a bitch all over again.

That said, I'm gonna try your method. It's always good to switch up your routine from time to time.
stevieray is obviously part of the inner Circle.stevieray is obviously part of the inner Circle.stevieray is obviously part of the inner Circle.stevieray is obviously part of the inner Circle.stevieray is obviously part of the inner Circle.stevieray is obviously part of the inner Circle.stevieray is obviously part of the inner Circle.stevieray is obviously part of the inner Circle.stevieray is obviously part of the inner Circle.stevieray is obviously part of the inner Circle.stevieray is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-16-2022, 07:02 PM   #69
C Chiefs once a year!

Look at a personal trainer as a tutor in college or like taking a college course. You will get to keep the knowledge you learn and it's personalized to yourself. There are tricks and tips you are going to learn in those 5-10 sessions.

"Super Chief you have bad form when you do this particular exercise. Try angling the weight like this"

It's stuff like that which will help you succeed in the gym. Seems like getting a personal trainer to work with you both together would be better as you can work and grow as a team on your new adventure.

Eating healthy will go a long way in making you feel better in the gym. Good luck and have fun.
Eureka is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Eureka is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Eureka is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Eureka is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Eureka is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Eureka is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Eureka is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Eureka is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Eureka is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Eureka is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Eureka is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.
Old 05-16-2022, 07:03 PM   #70
Veteran

Unless you want to be cut like models, just do the basics. Bike/row/treadmill 20 min, basic weights (curls, squats, bench x 3 sets...I use a machine for the squat/bench due to no spotter) daily. It takes 30 min. Watch what you eat (no snacking). I do this at the gym at 4:30 every day. When I get home and other things get in the way, I know at least I got in a decent workout, thus is a "good day". If I can, later in the evening, do a 20-30 min bike in front of the TV.

Try and set goals. Mine was to burn 10 cal/min rowing through the 20 min period. It took me 3 months. Next up, bench 225 for 5 reps (granted on a machine). It will take me another 3 months.

Start slow, easy and light weight and build from there. I try and do basic light stretching before bed.

It is not fun but I am trying to make it a habit. It does take discipline. It is good that you and your wife are willing to try and put in the time. You can play off each other and encourage. You expect her and she expects you. Hold each other accountable.

In the end, it is all between your ears...mind game. A trainer might help encourage and help with issues. But the basics are the basics.

My go to when I don't feel like going to the gym...a strong cup of coffee 30 min prior. Prolly not recommended, but works for me.

Pop Quiz: what is the heaviest weight in the gym?
Holladay Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Holladay Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Holladay Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Holladay Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Holladay Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Holladay Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Holladay Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Holladay Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Holladay Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Holladay Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Holladay Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.
Old 05-16-2022, 07:06 PM   #71
Suupraa Geniuuusss

You might want to look into Orangetheory if there's one close enough to you. It's something like $180/month, which breaks down to just $15/session if you go just three times a week.

I was a member for 4 years, before a rash of injuries (unrelated to working out) forced me to cancel my membership last year. I'll probably reup later this year if my health remains stable until then. But without question those 4 years marked the healthiest I've been since college when I stopped playing soccer. I lost a ton of weight, returned to about 85% of my 20-something strength, and regained a lot of real-world stamina and strength.

Basically, it's a scheduled workout combining both cardio and strength training with a group of other clients and one or two qualified trainer/instructors. Each workout is different, so it's hard to get bored (in 4 years I never repeated a workout and most of the time I was going at least 4 times/week). They professionally design the workouts, so no more guessing what you should next or even how or what to train from one day to the next.

Also there's a nice social aspect as well as a bit of competitiveness if that's your thing.

For example, i was going to the 7am class a lot at first right after work and ended up having several friendly competitions with another client. It started out with who would lose more weight in thirty days, then who would have a better heart rate average, who could hold a plank longer, row farther in 10 minutes, and so on. Loser would buy the other a smoothie or something next door. I'm competitive, so this worked out very well for me.

As for results, well I lost 27 lbs. in the first 40 days. I ran a sub-7 minute mile 2 months after my first day for the first time in over a decade. I cut over 100 seconds from my first mile run from that first week.

Even if you don't stick with it forever, OT an teach you a lot about how to design workouts that are extremely efficient, proper forms, appropriate expectations and the like. It seems kind of pricey on the surface, but you get a lot of value for your money, imo.

P.S. another issue people don't think about is how well you get along with your trainer. The nice thing about OT is that each class time is usually the same trainer. So Monday at 8am is pretty much always going to be steve or Tracy or whoever. 9am will be someone else usually. So you have a great opportunity in the first month or so to figure out which trainers you like; who gets you/motivates you best. All just by clicking on whatever class you want on the schedule, as all classes online let you know who's teaching every class. Each OT employs several (up to a dozen?) trainers, so you probably will find a couple that work best for you and your wfe.

Last edited by Megatron96; 05-16-2022 at 07:14 PM..
Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-16-2022, 07:09 PM   #72
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holladay View Post
Unless you want to be cut like models, just do the basics. Bike/row/treadmill 20 min, basic weights (curls, squats, bench x 3 sets...I use a machine for the squat/bench due to no spotter) daily. It takes 30 min. Watch what you eat (no snacking). I do this at the gym at 4:30 every day. When I get home and other things get in the way, I know at least I got in a decent workout, thus is a "good day". If I can, later in the evening, do a 20-30 min bike in front of the TV.

Try and set goals. Mine was to burn 10 cal/min rowing through the 20 min period. It took me 3 months. Next up, bench 225 for 5 reps (granted on a machine). It will take me another 3 months.

Start slow, easy and light weight and build from there. I try and do basic light stretching before bed.

It is not fun but I am trying to make it a habit. It does take discipline. It is good that you and your wife are willing to try and put in the time. You can play off each other and encourage. You expect her and she expects you. Hold each other accountable.

In the end, it is all between your ears...mind game. A trainer might help encourage and help with issues. But the basics are the basics.

My go to when I don't feel like going to the gym...a strong cup of coffee 30 min prior. Prolly not recommended, but works for me.

Pop Quiz: what is the heaviest weight in the gym?

Coffee is a great idea. Most preworkouts have caffeine. I have started using preworkouts and notice a difference in my energy and output.

You mention doing basic workout daily? Meaning you squat, bench, etc every day?
Old 05-16-2022, 07:14 PM   #73
Veteran

I try and keep the work outs as efficient as possible. Thus for the aerobic side my fall back is rowing (when I can't swim). Very much all body with the exception of pecs and biceps (I do rowing sets curling instead of the normal pull). You can do all sorts of exercises: lat pull downs, tricep extensions, dips, shoulder shrugs etc. A good row does pretty much all of them with the least amount of time and low impact on the joints.
Holladay Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Holladay Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Holladay Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Holladay Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Holladay Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Holladay Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Holladay Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Holladay Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Holladay Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Holladay Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Holladay Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.
Old 05-16-2022, 07:16 PM   #74
MVP

I joined Dale's gym (now Will Shield's place) in 1986. Spent a few sessions with a trainer and nutritionist. Worked out for about a year.

Learned all I needed to know in a short time and still follow those guidelines.
Stewie is too fat/Omaha.Stewie is too fat/Omaha.Stewie is too fat/Omaha.Stewie is too fat/Omaha.Stewie is too fat/Omaha.Stewie is too fat/Omaha.Stewie is too fat/Omaha.Stewie is too fat/Omaha.Stewie is too fat/Omaha.Stewie is too fat/Omaha.Stewie is too fat/Omaha.
Old 05-16-2022, 07:19 PM   #75
Veteran

yea, not so much squats, but yes bench. Again, it is a nice machine, not free. I don't over do it either. I do 10/8/6 at a weight, curl 10/8/6 at what ever weight, row 20 min, go back to the bench and do another 10/8/6 at incline or flat what ever I didn't do the first time and at a lower weight.