Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Old 05-16-2022, 12:42 PM  
Damn it feels good.

Have you ever used a personal trainer?

Long story short, my wife and I are both starting a new journey w/ fitness and food. We're seeing a dietician soon to get some help with the food part, but we've also been considering getting a personal trainer (either one for both of us or separate - either option is on the table).

Does anyone here have experience with one? What are some good questions to ask to make sure I get the "right" one? Any tips to set us up for success in this process?
SuperChief is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.SuperChief is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.SuperChief is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.SuperChief is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.SuperChief is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.SuperChief is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.SuperChief is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.SuperChief is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.SuperChief is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.SuperChief is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.SuperChief is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.
Old 05-17-2022, 02:49 PM   #136
Hey Loochy, I'm hooome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titty Meat View Post
I barely do cardio anymore. I either shoot hoops, walk 5 miles, or treadmill for 20 mins at 3moh with incline on 5-10
?

All of that is cardio.
loochy is obviously part of the inner Circle.loochy is obviously part of the inner Circle.loochy is obviously part of the inner Circle.loochy is obviously part of the inner Circle.loochy is obviously part of the inner Circle.loochy is obviously part of the inner Circle.loochy is obviously part of the inner Circle.loochy is obviously part of the inner Circle.loochy is obviously part of the inner Circle.loochy is obviously part of the inner Circle.loochy is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 02:51 PM   #137
Needs more middle fingers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcat View Post
Yeah, my attitude has complete changed... at one point I had my alarm named "torture" for early morning workouts. I would think it ruins more people on exercise on average.

When I was researching weighted core exercises, someone on YouTube made a comment that I think rings true for some of the p90x stuff as well... just because your legs burn during a wall squat, would you skip leg day at the gym?

It reminded me of plyo in particular... of course your cardio will improve over time with that insanity (and mine did), but does that constant leg burn for an hour really mean a ton compared to a few sets of squats and so forth? And of course they also did wall squats and bodyweight core and other "feel the burn" exercises that just don't seem efficient or even particularly helpful now.
Oh you don't like wall squats either? You mother****er. We're gonna have to fight soon.

I love wall squats. However i do a Wall Squat/Calf Raise combo when i do them.
ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-17-2022, 02:52 PM   #138
Hey Loochy, I'm hooome!

Quote:
Yeah, my attitude has complete changed... at one point I had my alarm named "torture" for early morning workouts. I would think it ruins more people on exercise on average.

When I was researching weighted core exercises, someone on YouTube made a comment that I think rings true for some of the p90x stuff as well... just because your legs burn during a wall squat, would you skip leg day at the gym?

It reminded me of plyo in particular... of course your cardio will improve over time with that insanity (and mine did), but does that constant leg burn for an hour really mean a ton compared to a few sets of squats and so forth? And of course they also did wall squats and bodyweight core and other "feel the burn" exercises that just don't seem efficient or even particularly helpful now.
"Burn" is meaningless when it comes to muscle building, as is soreness. Progressive overload (either more weight or more reps) coupled with proper recovery (food, water, rest) is the key.
loochy is obviously part of the inner Circle.loochy is obviously part of the inner Circle.loochy is obviously part of the inner Circle.loochy is obviously part of the inner Circle.loochy is obviously part of the inner Circle.loochy is obviously part of the inner Circle.loochy is obviously part of the inner Circle.loochy is obviously part of the inner Circle.loochy is obviously part of the inner Circle.loochy is obviously part of the inner Circle.loochy is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 2 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 03:06 PM   #139
Would an idiot do that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detoxing View Post
Oh you don't like wall squats either? You mother****er. We're gonna have to fight soon.

I love wall squats. However i do a Wall Squat/Calf Raise combo when i do them.
Meet me by the Eric Hosmer statue!
Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-17-2022, 04:02 PM   #140
Needs more middle fingers

Quote:
Meet me by the Eric Hosmer statue!
See you there. I'll be the guy with my back to Hosmer's ass doing modified calf raise-wall squats.
ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 2 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 05:25 PM   #141
Mod Team

I need so recommendations for shorts for lifting. Too many long ass basketball style shorts that suck and drag below the knee or the short nut huggers that cup my balls too tight while I squat and show off my creamy white thighs.

Can't I get something right above the knee!?!?!
lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-17-2022, 05:46 PM   #142
Hey Loochy, I'm hooome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewdog View Post
I need so recommendations for shorts for lifting. Too many long ass basketball style shorts that suck and drag below the knee or the short nut huggers that cup my balls too tight while I squat and show off my creamy white thighs.

Can't I get something right above the knee!?!?!
I buy Lululemon clones off Amazon and I love them. Baleaf brand
Old 05-17-2022, 05:48 PM   #143
Mod Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by loochy View Post
Link me please, Boo.

I want to look like you.
lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-17-2022, 06:00 PM   #144
MVP

Quote:
Man, their yoga is so ****ing boring... slow and repetitive. If you can get past that by maybe having a hockey game on while you're doing it, I'm sure it's beneficial, but damn.
Exactly. I have to be watching something on TV or listening to a podcast or it seems like it goes on forever. The P90x yoga is the only yoga I've ever done, so I have nothing else to compare it to other than Early Bird Yoga with the naked chick - which I was a big fan of the couple months I had the Playboy Channel. But you're right it's so damn boring and repetitive. I had no idea how freaking hard yoga can be, I thought it was just stretching.
JohnnyHammersticks is obviously part of the inner Circle.JohnnyHammersticks is obviously part of the inner Circle.JohnnyHammersticks is obviously part of the inner Circle.JohnnyHammersticks is obviously part of the inner Circle.JohnnyHammersticks is obviously part of the inner Circle.JohnnyHammersticks is obviously part of the inner Circle.JohnnyHammersticks is obviously part of the inner Circle.JohnnyHammersticks is obviously part of the inner Circle.JohnnyHammersticks is obviously part of the inner Circle.JohnnyHammersticks is obviously part of the inner Circle.JohnnyHammersticks is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-17-2022, 06:11 PM   #145
Rockin' yer FACE OFF!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megatron96 View Post
You might want to look into Orangetheory if there's one close enough to you. It's something like $180/month, which breaks down to just $15/session if you go just three times a week.

I was a member for 4 years, before a rash of injuries (unrelated to working out) forced me to cancel my membership last year. I'll probably reup later this year if my health remains stable until then. But without question those 4 years marked the healthiest I've been since college when I stopped playing soccer. I lost a ton of weight, returned to about 85% of my 20-something strength, and regained a lot of real-world stamina and strength.

Basically, it's a scheduled workout combining both cardio and strength training with a group of other clients and one or two qualified trainer/instructors. Each workout is different, so it's hard to get bored (in 4 years I never repeated a workout and most of the time I was going at least 4 times/week). They professionally design the workouts, so no more guessing what you should next or even how or what to train from one day to the next.

Also there's a nice social aspect as well as a bit of competitiveness if that's your thing.

For example, i was going to the 7am class a lot at first right after work and ended up having several friendly competitions with another client. It started out with who would lose more weight in thirty days, then who would have a better heart rate average, who could hold a plank longer, row farther in 10 minutes, and so on. Loser would buy the other a smoothie or something next door. I'm competitive, so this worked out very well for me.

As for results, well I lost 27 lbs. in the first 40 days. I ran a sub-7 minute mile 2 months after my first day for the first time in over a decade. I cut over 100 seconds from my first mile run from that first week.

Even if you don't stick with it forever, OT an teach you a lot about how to design workouts that are extremely efficient, proper forms, appropriate expectations and the like. It seems kind of pricey on the surface, but you get a lot of value for your money, imo.

P.S. another issue people don't think about is how well you get along with your trainer. The nice thing about OT is that each class time is usually the same trainer. So Monday at 8am is pretty much always going to be steve or Tracy or whoever. 9am will be someone else usually. So you have a great opportunity in the first month or so to figure out which trainers you like; who gets you/motivates you best. All just by clicking on whatever class you want on the schedule, as all classes online let you know who's teaching every class. Each OT employs several (up to a dozen?) trainers, so you probably will find a couple that work best for you and your wfe.
THAT'S WHAT I SAID!!
InChiefsHeaven is obviously part of the inner Circle.InChiefsHeaven is obviously part of the inner Circle.InChiefsHeaven is obviously part of the inner Circle.InChiefsHeaven is obviously part of the inner Circle.InChiefsHeaven is obviously part of the inner Circle.InChiefsHeaven is obviously part of the inner Circle.InChiefsHeaven is obviously part of the inner Circle.InChiefsHeaven is obviously part of the inner Circle.InChiefsHeaven is obviously part of the inner Circle.InChiefsHeaven is obviously part of the inner Circle.InChiefsHeaven is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-17-2022, 06:30 PM   #146
Inmem 2.0

Quote:
?

All of that is cardio.
Most people try to tell me it's not they think you gotta go hard 45 mins daily on the treadmill or jog 5 miles lol
Titty Meat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Titty Meat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Titty Meat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Titty Meat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Titty Meat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Titty Meat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Titty Meat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Titty Meat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Titty Meat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Titty Meat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Titty Meat is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-17-2022, 06:44 PM   #147
Hey Loochy, I'm hooome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewdog View Post
Link me please, Boo.

I want to look like you.

Sexy shorts. They're super lightweight, soft, quick dryand stretchy. I have some Asics ones just like these, but these are better and half the price.

https://www.amazon.com/BALEAF-Athlet...8-6&th=1&psc=1

Last edited by loochy; 05-17-2022 at 06:50 PM..
Old 05-17-2022, 06:49 PM   #148
Hey Loochy, I'm hooome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titty Meat View Post
Most people try to tell me it's not they think you gotta go hard 45 mins daily on the treadmill or jog 5 miles lol
Nah you're good as long as your HR gets up a bit.
Old 05-17-2022, 06:51 PM   #149
MVP

Quote:
BALEAF Men's Padded Bike Shorts Cycling Underwear 3D Padding Mountain Biking Bicycle Riding Liner Biker https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MTE6OTQ...ing=UTF8&psc=1
SupDock would the whole thing.SupDock would the whole thing.SupDock would the whole thing.SupDock would the whole thing.SupDock would the whole thing.SupDock would the whole thing.SupDock would the whole thing.SupDock would the whole thing.SupDock would the whole thing.SupDock would the whole thing.SupDock would the whole thing.
Old 05-17-2022, 06:53 PM   #150
Would an idiot do that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detoxing View Post
See you there. I'll be the guy with my back to Hosmer's ass doing modified calf raise-wall squats.
I'll be the well rested individual who hasn't done any unnecessary exercise!
Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.