Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room > Media Center
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Old 04-26-2012, 08:54 AM  
Supporter

Must Watch Series

All this talk about series, how network TV Sucks, and how hard it is to find quality shows, and some excellent shows that fly under the radar, I need a comprehensive review of all the series I need to see.

For good entertainment, I would be willing to buy DVD sets. But I've recently picked up HBOGO by kiping it from my parents, and recently got Netflix and Amazon Prime.

Here is a listing of shows that I currently own or have seen all the episodes of. If it isn't on the list, just assume I haven't seen it.

Spoiler!

Here is a listing of shows that I'm currently watching
Spoiler!

Here is a listing of shows on my list to watch (mostly due to this thread)
Spoiler!

I work a ****ton, so it is hard for me catch a series while it is on to get it on the DVR, but I recognize the entertainment value and am willing to go after the Must See shows. Accordingly, I'm not necessarily looking for anything that is still running. I'm up for watching stuff that has run its course.

So what say you, Planet? Which shows should I see?

UPDATED for the shows I've seen recently.

Last edited by Buehler445; 08-09-2017 at 07:36 PM..
Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 02-02-2022, 06:32 PM   #1501
Why so serious?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buehler445 View Post
I watched Boardwalk Empire on the recommendation of Twisted Chief.

It’s worth the time if you have HBO for something else.

It does a LOT of things well. It manages a lot of personalities well. It does the period stuff awesome. Which I’m a total goober for. It mixes in some historical characters pretty well, and IMO does a really nice job with Lucky Luciano and Capone on later seasons. Also
Spoiler!

It had some pretty compelling characters. Richard Harrow was probably the best performed. Chalky was another one that just killed it.

It’s not perfect. It misses the mark on some stuff. About the middle of Season 3, goddamn everybody is unlikable and it became a tougher watch but pulled it back up and let you root for people again.

All in all it was a good one. Thanks Twisted.
Chalky and Arnold Rothstein. Valentine Narcisse. Great characters.

Glad you enjoyed, man. I've considered a rewatch of that one but there's so much else to get through.

Is Ted Lasso a must-see, guys? I don't know why but I so very much prefer binge watching dramas over comedies. E.g., I recognize the brilliance of Schitt's Creek but it still seems too saccharine to plow through in binge fashion.
TwistedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.TwistedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.TwistedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.TwistedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.TwistedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.TwistedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.TwistedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.TwistedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.TwistedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.TwistedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.TwistedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 02-02-2022, 07:07 PM   #1502
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedChief View Post

Glad you enjoyed, man. I've considered a rewatch of that one but there's so much else to get through.

Is Ted Lasso a must-see, guys? I don't know why but I so very much prefer binge watching dramas over comedies. E.g., I recognize the brilliance of Schitt's Creek but it still seems too saccharine to plow through in binge fashion.
I like Lasso. But I fully expected to HATE THAT SHIT. But it does a lot of things right. Some of the funny stuff they got right, most of the feels-y stuff hits you in the feels.

S2 is worth the watch, but some of the funny stuff missed, but worth the watch IMO.

It's a light watch, but it tackles some fairly ambitious goals but manages not to get out over it's skis. It's not lifechanging, but after I binged S1, it stuck with me for awhile.
Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 07:07 PM   #1503
MVP

Quote:

I enjoyed Season 1, Season 2 not so much. Really falls into what I would call saccharine.
BigBeauford is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigBeauford is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigBeauford is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigBeauford is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigBeauford is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigBeauford is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigBeauford is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigBeauford is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigBeauford is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigBeauford is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigBeauford is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 02-04-2022, 02:20 AM   #1504
EvOlVeD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Lee View Post
This COULD actually be brilliant, first premise is Arnett is an investigator who always gets assigned celebrities as sidekicks who are 'doing research' for a role, . . . second premise is, the celebrities go into the scene with no direction except be yourself and go with it. Could be a trainwreck, could be a masterpiece.

It's an adaption of a popular show Murder in Successville on BBC, you can track down so clips of it to get a flavor of what's the what.

just watched the entire series tonight

it's like improv 'CLUE', and the character breaks remind me of 'Mrs. Brown's Boys'

really good

Last edited by Nickhead; 02-04-2022 at 04:02 AM..
Nickhead has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Nickhead has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Nickhead has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Nickhead has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Nickhead has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Nickhead has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Nickhead has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Nickhead has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Nickhead has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Nickhead has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Nickhead has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.
Old 02-04-2022, 09:17 AM   #1505
Supporter

THREE WEEKS

Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 02-04-2022, 04:45 PM   #1506
Needs more middle fingers

My wife picked the last show for us to watch and she picked this:

Holy **** did it suck. I mean.....ooooof it was bad. My wife didn't finish the series. I did, only because it was so laughably bad i just had to see if it could get worse.

It did.

It's been a long time since i've seen a series so poorly written. Avoid this shit at all costs.
ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 02-04-2022, 06:20 PM   #1507
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Lee View Post
Someone involved with that show is a musical and cultural SAVANTE. Capturing moods and eras with just the right touches and choices without being satirical or snarky. . . I mean a totally Xmas morning appropriate . . . Marlboro Miles SWEATSHIRT fer chrissakes?!?!? Genius

And whomever cast the younger versions of the Gemstone clan knocked it out of the effing PARK!! It almost seems like a spinoff of just the teens showing how the adults came to be how they are would work in it's own right.

EDIT - for those who skipped the credits, you missed an awesome credit music song [part of why I made the musical savante remark above], leaving it here for posterity . . . It's been in my head ALL WEEK.

Spoiler!
Interesting backstory with Woodstock, it is a catchy old tune for sure. I also like the whistling cowboy instrumental that plays regularly throughout the series like when Baby Billy was bunking for the night.
Pepe Silvia has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Pepe Silvia has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Pepe Silvia has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Pepe Silvia has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Pepe Silvia has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Pepe Silvia has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Pepe Silvia has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Pepe Silvia has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Pepe Silvia has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Pepe Silvia has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Pepe Silvia has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.
Old 02-04-2022, 08:02 PM   #1508
MVP

unlurking Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.unlurking Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.unlurking Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.unlurking Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.unlurking Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.unlurking Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.unlurking Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.unlurking Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.unlurking Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.unlurking Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.unlurking Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.
Old 02-04-2022, 10:07 PM   #1509
Banned

I'm binging Roman Empire on Netflix. Best Roman history show I've seen. I love Roman history. That Claudius fella was shrewd af.

Last edited by eDave; 02-04-2022 at 11:05 PM..
eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 02-05-2022, 12:24 AM   #1510
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eDave View Post
I'm binging Roman Empire on Netflix. Best Roman history show I've seen. I love Roman history. That Claudius fella was shrewd af.
LOVED that one.

I was legit teary eyed at the end.

If you like Roman history, check out the History of Rome Podcast. They are like 20 minute episodes of super light and easy listening and it rolls through the entirety of Rome. I'm not all the way through it, but it is really ****ing good. And the manner in which he explains it makes it really easy to keep all the ****ers with the same names/changed names/weird names separate.
Old 02-05-2022, 06:32 AM   #1511
Politically Incorrect

Quote:
Congratulations!

You are the FIRST and ONLY person in the 20+ year CP history to use the word: saccharine
scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 02-05-2022, 08:18 AM   #1512
Banned

New season of Ozark finally started
meleknistra Loves all of Deberg's threads.meleknistra Loves all of Deberg's threads.meleknistra Loves all of Deberg's threads.meleknistra Loves all of Deberg's threads.meleknistra Loves all of Deberg's threads.
Old 02-05-2022, 03:38 PM   #1513
Why so serious?

Quote:
Originally Posted by meleknistra View Post
New season of Ozark finally started
It's crazy good. That show keeps humming.

Gomorrah season 5 now on HBO Max.
TwistedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.TwistedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.TwistedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.TwistedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.TwistedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.TwistedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.TwistedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.TwistedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.TwistedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.TwistedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.TwistedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 02-05-2022, 06:36 PM   #1514
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detoxing View Post
My wife picked the last show for us to watch and she picked this:

Holy **** did it suck. I mean.....ooooof it was bad. My wife didn't finish the series. I did, only because it was so laughably bad i just had to see if it could get worse.

It did.

It's been a long time since i've seen a series so poorly written. Avoid this shit at all costs.
I had to bail on that one pretty quick.
HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 02-05-2022, 07:10 PM   #1515
M-I-Z-Z-O-U

Quote:
Originally Posted by HemiEd View Post
I had to bail on that one pretty quick.

Were you guys aware this is a satire series?
duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.