Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Old 04-04-2020, 12:03 AM   #2
Banned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlphg9 View Post
Hopefully we draft a MLB with our first pick. We've not had a borderline elite - elite LB since 2015 DJ. Hell in the last 20+ years besides DJ who have we had at LB that you would consider great?

Getting an awesome LB would be awesome lol. I loved Derrick Johnson and would love to have someone with just 95% of his talent.
Donnie Edwards?
Pitt Gorilla is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pitt Gorilla is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pitt Gorilla is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pitt Gorilla is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pitt Gorilla is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pitt Gorilla is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pitt Gorilla is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pitt Gorilla is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pitt Gorilla is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pitt Gorilla is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pitt Gorilla is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-04-2020, 01:05 AM   #3

Andy Reid has a long, long 20 year track record of drafting RBs in the middle rounds of the draft and turning them into stars. If they feel there's a crazy talented one left at 32 I could see them going for it though. I can see Veach doing what the Colts used to do with Manning... they had a top 5 offense almost every year and they were never afraid to go offense. Reggie Wayne, Addai, Dallas Clark. Just keep adding pieces.
tk13 is obviously part of the inner Circle.tk13 is obviously part of the inner Circle.tk13 is obviously part of the inner Circle.tk13 is obviously part of the inner Circle.tk13 is obviously part of the inner Circle.tk13 is obviously part of the inner Circle.tk13 is obviously part of the inner Circle.tk13 is obviously part of the inner Circle.tk13 is obviously part of the inner Circle.tk13 is obviously part of the inner Circle.tk13 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 01:46 PM   #4
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tk13 View Post
Andy Reid has a long, long 20 year track record of drafting RBs in the middle rounds of the draft and turning them into stars.
This is actually completely false. More myth and hyperbole than fact.

While Reid definitely hit on a few guys throughout the years, his "Hit Rate" is clearly not exceptional:

2000-6 Thomas Hamner
2001-4 Correll Buckhalter
2002-2 Brian Westbrook
2004-7 Bruce Perry
2005-3 Ryan Moats
2007-3 Tony Hunt
2009-2 LeSean McCoy
2010-6 Charles Scott
2011-5 Dion Lewis
2013-3 Knile Davis
2014-4 D'Anthony Thomas
2017-3 Kareem Hunt
2019-6 Darwin Thompson

Westbrook, McCoy and Hunt (before the incident) are his best selections by a long shot. But during that time, the Chiefs hit on Larry Johnson and Jamaal Charles, two players that were clearly in the upper echelon of NFL running backs despite spending the majority of their careers on very bad football teams.

This isn't an indictment of Reid but does prove that he's always searching for quality running backs, even if he has a better-than-average starter.

Again, this isn't an indictment of Reid but he's not a "RB Guru" of any sorts.
DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-04-2020, 01:15 AM   #5
Fan since 1997

We will have plenty of cap space next year so if we draft well in this draft, I can see a dynasty for years and years to come. I truly believe that Mahomes with Veach as GM putting the pieces around him can win at least 5 Super Bowls.
Chieftain must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Chieftain must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Chieftain must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Chieftain must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Chieftain must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Chieftain must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Chieftain must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Chieftain must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Chieftain must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Chieftain must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Chieftain must have mowed badgirl's lawn.
Old 04-04-2020, 11:21 AM   #6
Black Bob's daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by e3263518 View Post
We will have plenty of cap space next year so if we draft well in this draft, I can see a dynasty for years and years to come. I truly believe that Mahomes with Veach as GM putting the pieces around him can win at least 5 Super Bowls.
The cap space next year is a bit misleading. Mahomes and Jones could eat up a lot of space and we have quite a few important pieces that will FA and will need to be either signed or replaced.
OKchiefs is not part of the Right 53.OKchiefs is not part of the Right 53.OKchiefs is not part of the Right 53.OKchiefs is not part of the Right 53.OKchiefs is not part of the Right 53.OKchiefs is not part of the Right 53.OKchiefs is not part of the Right 53.OKchiefs is not part of the Right 53.OKchiefs is not part of the Right 53.OKchiefs is not part of the Right 53.OKchiefs is not part of the Right 53.
Old 04-04-2020, 12:29 PM   #7
Rufus Dawes Jr.

Exactly - and available cap space means that contract expire and those guys will need to be replaced. I mean look at all the one year contract we have handed out. But guys like Watkins and D Rob will need to be replaced.
Hoover 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Hoover 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Hoover 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Hoover 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Hoover 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Hoover 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Hoover 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Hoover 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Hoover 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Hoover 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Hoover 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.
Old 04-04-2020, 08:51 AM   #8
M-I-Z-Z-O-U

To me, it’s all about the value. Don’t reach on someone just to fill a position of anticipated need.

This is an incredibly deep draft for WR, especially. You can get a player who would have been the top wideout in his class, potentially, with your first pick. That’s something they have to consider.

Yes, it is a luxury for 2020, but it gives them so much more flexibility for 2021 if they have another dynamic threat at WR to pair with Hill and Kelce (who will become less dynamic over time).

RB thought kind of works the same way.

CB is important in the NFL, but in this scheme it seems like DL and S are more important.
duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-04-2020, 09:20 AM   #9
New and Improved

FYI

ESPN2 is running all of the Peyton's Places episodes today.
stumppy is obviously part of the inner Circle.stumppy is obviously part of the inner Circle.stumppy is obviously part of the inner Circle.stumppy is obviously part of the inner Circle.stumppy is obviously part of the inner Circle.stumppy is obviously part of the inner Circle.stumppy is obviously part of the inner Circle.stumppy is obviously part of the inner Circle.stumppy is obviously part of the inner Circle.stumppy is obviously part of the inner Circle.stumppy is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-04-2020, 01:04 PM   #10
'Tis my eye!

Look at the teams that have spent big money in linemen. They honestly don’t perform all that well in the playoffs because the playoffs accentuate big plays.
htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-04-2020, 02:22 PM   #11
Curmudgeon

I believe it's a combination of BPA and need. I'd be hard pressed to give a lot of praise to drafting a RB or WR in the 1st if there's a good LB or CB available. I think either of those positions can be filled in a later round, plus a defensive player would probably game ready sooner than a skill player in our offense. I'd even take a real OT (not a G that can play OT) before a RB. Fisher and Mitch aren't getting any younger.
oldman is too fat/Omaha.oldman is too fat/Omaha.oldman is too fat/Omaha.oldman is too fat/Omaha.oldman is too fat/Omaha.oldman is too fat/Omaha.oldman is too fat/Omaha.oldman is too fat/Omaha.oldman is too fat/Omaha.oldman is too fat/Omaha.oldman is too fat/Omaha.
Old 04-04-2020, 02:43 PM   #12
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman View Post
I believe it's a combination of BPA and need. I'd be hard pressed to give a lot of praise to drafting a RB or WR in the 1st if there's a good LB or CB available. I think either of those positions can be filled in a later round, plus a defensive player would probably game ready sooner than a skill player in our offense. I'd even take a real OT (not a G that can play OT) before a RB. Fisher and Mitch aren't getting any younger.
And that would be awful use of valuable resources, especially for a team whose salary cap is very Top Heavy and needs to select great players, regardless of position, with their limited number of draft choices.

For example, a great GM won't choose the 10th best offensive lineman when the #4 WR or #2 RB in this class are available when the Chiefs make their selection.

You want to see better protection for Mahomes? Get him another highly skilled RB and WR in this draft.
DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-04-2020, 04:21 PM   #13
In Search of a Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud View Post
And that would be awful use of valuable resources, especially for a team whose salary cap is very Top Heavy and needs to select great players, regardless of position, with their limited number of draft choices.

For example, a great GM won't choose the 10th best offensive lineman when the #4 WR or #2 RB in this class are available when the Chiefs make their selection.

You want to see better protection for Mahomes? Get him another highly skilled RB and WR in this draft.
I don't really agree on the RB part, but in general i agree. If there is a WR you love that falls to 32? Take him. If there's a great CB there take him.

The teams that draft at the end of the rounds that draft well, draft the best players and fit things around them. Draft and development is what we are all about now in KC.
O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-04-2020, 04:26 PM   #14
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by O.city View Post
I don't really agree on the RB part, but in general i agree. If there is a WR you love that falls to 32? Take him. If there's a great CB there take him.

The teams that draft at the end of the rounds that draft well, draft the best players and fit things around them. Draft and development is what we are all about now in KC.
If Taylor, Dobbins or Swift are all sitting at #32 overall, I'd expect Veach to take one at #32 or trade back and take one at #40 or whatever.

I posted Reid's RB draft history earlier in this thread which shows that Reid routinely took running backs in the third round and a few in the second. With Damien Williams injury history and the other maybe *average* RB on the roster, I'd say it's a good bet they'll take a RB in the first three rounds.
Old 04-04-2020, 04:50 PM   #15
M-I-Z-Z-O-U

Quote:
Originally Posted by O.city View Post

This nails it. You take the best talent available to you. Reaching based on need is how you blow picks.

The idea that Hardman can replace Watkins next year is a great one, but he also isn’t the same type of physical, classic X receiver. There are a BUNCH of those types in this draft. And a rookie or a FA is going to take some time to acclimate to this system and Mahomes. Saying just “take a WR next year” doesn’t account for whether the class is as deep or talented and whether as good a talent is available to you.

If Justin Jefferson or Denzel Mims - big, physical X receiver types who also have the initial quickness to separate like a traditional slot guy - are available, I think that’s value that’s incredibly hard to pass up.

If I’ve got a choice between Patrick Queen or Kenneth Murray and Jefferson, Mims, Higgins, Swift, and Dobbins, I take the LB. and so would the Chiefs.

Think the same is true if the right CB is there.
duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.