Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Old 06-01-2014, 09:40 AM  
Kind of a mod

Space Exploration megathread

Since a number of cool things are happening in space exploration these days, we'll widen the scope of this thread a smidge. Conversation about all things space exploration are welcome, whether it be from NASA, SpaceX, ULA, Blue Origin, or anyone else. Chances are most of the discussion will still be about SpaceX since they love to make things public and fun, but nothing's off limits. I'll eventually get around to modifying the OP to include resources for other companies too, but in the meantime, feel free to post any cool stuff you run across.

Lists of Upcoming Missions

How to Watch a Live Launch

Where to Learn More
Spoiler!

Glossary
Spoiler!

Last edited by DaFace; 12-10-2020 at 03:36 PM..
DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 08-01-2020, 11:25 AM   #3121
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donger View Post
I looked it up. Some of the Mercury and Gemini flights were off by tens of kilometers. One was 400. No worse than 5 kilometers for Apollo.
Did you ever watch the movie Hidden Figures? Great movie.
mlyonsd is obviously part of the inner Circle.mlyonsd is obviously part of the inner Circle.mlyonsd is obviously part of the inner Circle.mlyonsd is obviously part of the inner Circle.mlyonsd is obviously part of the inner Circle.mlyonsd is obviously part of the inner Circle.mlyonsd is obviously part of the inner Circle.mlyonsd is obviously part of the inner Circle.mlyonsd is obviously part of the inner Circle.mlyonsd is obviously part of the inner Circle.mlyonsd is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 3 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 11:25 AM   #3122
Kind of a mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlyonsd View Post
In random WTF news, Disney is apparently trying to make that into a Broadway musical. Yes, I'm serious.
DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 08-01-2020, 11:27 AM   #3123
Kind of a mod

Quote:
I looked it up. Some of the Mercury and Gemini flights were off by tens of kilometers. One was 400. No worse than 5 kilometers for Apollo.
I bet they don't have pinpoint accuracy even today; their struggles to catch the fairings is evidence enough of that. But I bet they get within 1-2 km of their target spot, and the ships can close that distance in a hurry.
Old 08-01-2020, 11:28 AM   #3124
"Think BOOM!"

Quote:
Wow, no I haven't, but I will. Thanks!
Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 08-01-2020, 11:31 AM   #3125
"Think BOOM!"

Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 08-01-2020, 11:32 AM   #3126
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFace View Post
In random WTF news, Disney is apparently trying to make that into a Broadway musical. Yes, I'm serious.
Uhhhh. Ok?
mlyonsd is obviously part of the inner Circle.mlyonsd is obviously part of the inner Circle.mlyonsd is obviously part of the inner Circle.mlyonsd is obviously part of the inner Circle.mlyonsd is obviously part of the inner Circle.mlyonsd is obviously part of the inner Circle.mlyonsd is obviously part of the inner Circle.mlyonsd is obviously part of the inner Circle.mlyonsd is obviously part of the inner Circle.mlyonsd is obviously part of the inner Circle.mlyonsd is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 08-01-2020, 11:35 AM   #3127
Kind of a mod

Quote:
Uhhhh. Ok?
To their credit, Disney seems to have a Midas touch these days - everything they touch turns to gold. So who knows - maybe it'll be good? I guess it's cool to see a science-heavy story that might possibly make it into pop culture.

But still. Weird.
Old 08-01-2020, 11:38 AM   #3128
Supporter

Quote:
Wow, no I haven't, but I will. Thanks!
By chance it's on FX tonight at 6 and 9pm.
Old 08-01-2020, 11:42 AM   #3129
Supporter

Quote:
To their credit, Disney seems to have a Midas touch these days - everything they touch turns to gold. So who knows - maybe it'll be good? I guess it's cool to see a science-heavy story that might possibly make it into pop culture.

But still. Weird.
To be honest I've never been to a broadway show I didn't like.
Old 08-01-2020, 11:44 AM   #3130
In Search of a Life

There may be two opportunities to see both the space station and the Crew Dragon tonight. 9:12 Central for 5 minutes (if it is dark enough and the clouds are not to heavy), and again at 10:48 for only 2 minutes.

I'm not sure if they will be on the same path this time like they were prior to hook up, but both were clearly visible in the night sky at that point in time.
Coogs is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Coogs is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Coogs is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Coogs is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Coogs is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Coogs is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Coogs is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Coogs is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Coogs is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Coogs is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Coogs is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.
Thumbs Up 2 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 11:52 AM   #3131
"Think BOOM!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coogs View Post
There may be two opportunities to see both the space station and the Crew Dragon tonight. 9:12 Central for 5 minutes (if it is dark enough and the clouds are not to heavy), and again at 10:48 for only 2 minutes.

I'm not sure if they will be on the same path this time like they were prior to hook up, but both were clearly visible in the night sky at that point in time.
Is there a website or something that gives you the correct direction to look for it and the angle based on one's location?
Old 08-01-2020, 11:54 AM   #3132
Kind of a mod

Quote:
Is there a website or something that gives you the correct direction to look for it and the angle based on one's location?
https://spotthestation.nasa.gov/sightings/index.cfm

That's for ISS, not Dragon, but Dragon should be right behind (I assume) tonight.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 11:57 AM   #3133
"Think BOOM!"

Quote:
https://spotthestation.nasa.gov/sightings/index.cfm

That's for ISS, not Dragon, but Dragon should be right behind (I assume) tonight.
That's perfect, thanks!
Old 08-01-2020, 12:11 PM   #3134
Kind of a mod

Looks like they're going as far west as they can. Makes sense.

Old 08-01-2020, 04:06 PM   #3135
Kind of a mod

Webcast is live (and will be until they're on the ground). Either NASA or SpaceX work.