Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Old 03-29-2023, 08:39 AM  
Has a particular set of skills

***Official 2023 STL Cardinals Thread ***

2023 thread. Walker makes the roster. I'll update the rosters and opening day lineup when its official

2023 Opening Day Lineup
Spoiler!

2022 Opening Day roster.
Spoiler!

For the new Cardinal fans that joined the Planet since last year, here are some of the historical threads going back to 2006.

Last edited by BigRedChief; 03-30-2023 at 10:48 AM..
BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 12-21-2023, 03:57 PM   #1621
Abandoned Former Rams Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdj23 View Post
That's kinda what i was getting at. I'd take a Wacha reunion over Matz or Lynn
I just don't understand the thought process behind wasting significant money on pitchers of the Lynn/Gibson caliber. If you can't call up a pitcher from the minors to put up innings with a 5+ ERA then your minor leagues are a miserable failure. Why not spend a little more to get something that you have a decent chance to get a quality performance out of & fill in the "replacement level" players from the minors for low salary. It's something they constantly do, like paying Corey Dickerson $5 million when he'd had an OPS in the low .700's for 2 seasons. You should have been able to use a minor leaguer for the minimum salary to post a sub .700 OPS & spent the remainder to get an actual good player.
ScareCrowe would the whole thing.ScareCrowe would the whole thing.ScareCrowe would the whole thing.ScareCrowe would the whole thing.ScareCrowe would the whole thing.ScareCrowe would the whole thing.ScareCrowe would the whole thing.ScareCrowe would the whole thing.ScareCrowe would the whole thing.ScareCrowe would the whole thing.ScareCrowe would the whole thing.
Old 12-21-2023, 04:21 PM   #1622
MVP

Quote:
That's kinda what i was getting at. I'd take a Wacha reunion over Matz or Lynn
You'll watch Matz and like it or you aren't a real part of the BFIB!
raybec 4 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.raybec 4 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.raybec 4 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.raybec 4 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.raybec 4 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.raybec 4 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.raybec 4 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.raybec 4 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.raybec 4 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.raybec 4 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.raybec 4 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.
Old 12-21-2023, 04:23 PM   #1623
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScareCrowe View Post
I just don't understand the thought process behind wasting significant money on pitchers of the Lynn/Gibson caliber. If you can't call up a pitcher from the minors to put up innings with a 5+ ERA then your minor leagues are a miserable failure. Why not spend a little more to get something that you have a decent chance to get a quality performance out of & fill in the "replacement level" players from the minors for low salary. It's something they constantly do, like paying Corey Dickerson $5 million when he'd had an OPS in the low .700's for 2 seasons. You should have been able to use a minor leaguer for the minimum salary to post a sub .700 OPS & spent the remainder to get an actual good player.
Because calling up a guy to fill a gaping hole with sub par play doesn't keep dummies going to games 3 million times a year. They get enough guys people have heard of for low cost and people keep showing up because "They tried" but player X just got hurt or player Y under performed.
raybec 4 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.raybec 4 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.raybec 4 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.raybec 4 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.raybec 4 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.raybec 4 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.raybec 4 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.raybec 4 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.raybec 4 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.raybec 4 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.raybec 4 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.
Old 12-21-2023, 04:23 PM   #1624
Sauntering Vaguely Downwards

Quote:
Cheap bullet catchers. That's all.

Grist for the mill; meat for the grinder. In a way it's a positive development in that they're NOT doing anything stupid to save Mozeliak's job in a short-term push for relevance.

No, they're all but acknowledging that the 2024 Cardinals aren't going to win anything and never were going to.

Now the counterpoint to that is if this team actually believed that, they'd trade Goldschmidt rather than enter into extension talks with him.

A combination of these two things really only yields one conclusion - they're just stupid. Or they think we are. Frankly it's probably a bit of both.
DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 12-21-2023, 06:12 PM   #1625
Greatest QB Duo of 2015

Quote:
Lynn might be completely shot, I agree.

Gibson is an actual mid-to-end of rotation starter who can eat innings and I'm not sure the Cardinals currently have someone in Memphis who can do that yet. Additionally, with how the contracts are set up for Gibson, Lynn, Gray, Mikolas, and Matz, they're likely looking at a combination of someone developing from the minors and additional acquisitions via trade or FA to replace them in the rotation. With how the contracts are structured, this also lessens the $ commitment/opens up roster spots.
Rams Fan 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Rams Fan 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Rams Fan 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Rams Fan 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Rams Fan 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Rams Fan 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Rams Fan 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Rams Fan 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Rams Fan 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Rams Fan 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Rams Fan 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.
Old 12-21-2023, 10:23 PM   #1626
In my youth i pray to keep

Can glorious leader Kim just ****ing nuke Dodger Stadium already
bdj23 is obviously part of the inner Circle.bdj23 is obviously part of the inner Circle.bdj23 is obviously part of the inner Circle.bdj23 is obviously part of the inner Circle.bdj23 is obviously part of the inner Circle.bdj23 is obviously part of the inner Circle.bdj23 is obviously part of the inner Circle.bdj23 is obviously part of the inner Circle.bdj23 is obviously part of the inner Circle.bdj23 is obviously part of the inner Circle.bdj23 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 1     Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2023, 10:28 PM   #1627
What's up braj?

Quote:
Yup. Even if they choke in the playoffs for the next 10 years it’s bad for baseball.
Jewish Rabbi is obviously part of the inner Circle.Jewish Rabbi is obviously part of the inner Circle.Jewish Rabbi is obviously part of the inner Circle.Jewish Rabbi is obviously part of the inner Circle.Jewish Rabbi is obviously part of the inner Circle.Jewish Rabbi is obviously part of the inner Circle.Jewish Rabbi is obviously part of the inner Circle.Jewish Rabbi is obviously part of the inner Circle.Jewish Rabbi is obviously part of the inner Circle.Jewish Rabbi is obviously part of the inner Circle.Jewish Rabbi is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2023, 05:55 AM   #1628
Consuming CP souls

Payroll nearing 300 million
Pasta Little Brioni is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pasta Little Brioni is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pasta Little Brioni is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pasta Little Brioni is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pasta Little Brioni is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pasta Little Brioni is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pasta Little Brioni is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pasta Little Brioni is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pasta Little Brioni is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pasta Little Brioni is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pasta Little Brioni is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 12-22-2023, 10:47 AM   #1629

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewish Rabbi View Post
Yup. Even if they choke in the playoffs for the next 10 years it’s bad for baseball.
One team spending a billion $'s on 2 players is not good for baseball.
BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 12-22-2023, 10:54 AM   #1630

I just hope they continue to be choke artists but they've finally thrown enough money around that a few titles are probably inevitable. It will be like the 90s yankees all over again.
bdj23 is obviously part of the inner Circle.bdj23 is obviously part of the inner Circle.bdj23 is obviously part of the inner Circle.bdj23 is obviously part of the inner Circle.bdj23 is obviously part of the inner Circle.bdj23 is obviously part of the inner Circle.bdj23 is obviously part of the inner Circle.bdj23 is obviously part of the inner Circle.bdj23 is obviously part of the inner Circle.bdj23 is obviously part of the inner Circle.bdj23 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 12-22-2023, 02:47 PM   #1631
In Search of a Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedChief View Post
I'm curious what is the reason?
jd1020 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.jd1020 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.jd1020 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.jd1020 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.jd1020 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.jd1020 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.jd1020 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.jd1020 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.jd1020 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.jd1020 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.jd1020 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.
Old 12-22-2023, 03:21 PM   #1632
Sauntering Vaguely Downwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedChief View Post
It's a lot better than a dozen teams spending less than $100 million on 26 players.

The issue is as much (more) teams crying poor than it is teams like the Dodgers being willing to spend.

The money is in the system. Plenty of it, in fact. 80% of the teams in baseball should be spending more than they are, IMO. The Cardinals chief among them - second only to the Orioles with Peter Angelos sitting on a potential pennant winner but refusing to add pitching (and acting galled when the possibility is discussed).

This is one where I have to agree with Boras. The question isn't why some teams are willing to spend $30 million on a potential top of the rotation starter - it's why more teams AREN'T willing to do so.
DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2023, 03:26 PM   #1633

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd1020 View Post
I'm curious what is the reason?
Because Mo has the keys to the safe of our franchise, that's why, if it was the Cardinals spending like this i wouldn't care one bit.
Old 12-22-2023, 04:53 PM   #1634

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut View Post
It's a lot better than a dozen teams spending less than $100 million on 26 players.

The issue is as much (more) teams crying poor than it is teams like the Dodgers being willing to spend.

The money is in the system. Plenty of it, in fact. 80% of the teams in baseball should be spending more than they are, IMO. The Cardinals chief among them - second only to the Orioles with Peter Angelos sitting on a potential pennant winner but refusing to add pitching (and acting galled when the possibility is discussed).

This is one where I have to agree with Boras. The question isn't why some teams are willing to spend $30 million on a potential top of the rotation starter - it's why more teams AREN'T willing to do so.
I agree all the owners have more money to spend that they are. But..... Why don't they? Why no pressure?

Look at the NFL. They didn't just put a cap on how much a team can spend, they put a floor too. That's the only reason some of the NFL owners aren't hoarding and pocketing more profits.

We all agree Dewitt can spend more, a lot more. He is a billionaire pocketing cash made off the team instead of putting that money into players. But even if he did, he cant match what the Yankees and Dodgers could offer a player. A cap and floor is what baseball needs to move forward.

90% of the baseball fans left only cheer or watch their teams games. Baseball is slowly dying. I understand that we would lose a season, at least, if the owners played hardball to get a cap and floor in place. I hate that option and have no hope whatsoever it ever happens but thats what its going to take.
Old 12-22-2023, 06:56 PM   #1635
The Insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut View Post
The biggest problem isn't necessarily the salaries. The guys who get the big bucks normally **** a team over because they are on the wrong side of the age gap. Baseball you don't get paid in your prime unless you get called up when your 21. Most get to the bigs at what 24/25. 6 arbitration years. You are 31/32 when you get the big deal. You might have a year or two worth then you suck ass for the most part. Royals got lucky that Hosmer turned their offer down because he would be classic example. Lorenzo Cain is a better one, because he got paid by Milwaukee. Had one good year then broke dick. Until MLBPA decides to get younger players paid instead of old stiff dicks, it really won't matter.
ChiefsCountry is obviously part of the inner Circle.ChiefsCountry is obviously part of the inner Circle.ChiefsCountry is obviously part of the inner Circle.ChiefsCountry is obviously part of the inner Circle.ChiefsCountry is obviously part of the inner Circle.ChiefsCountry is obviously part of the inner Circle.ChiefsCountry is obviously part of the inner Circle.ChiefsCountry is obviously part of the inner Circle.ChiefsCountry is obviously part of the inner Circle.ChiefsCountry is obviously part of the inner Circle.ChiefsCountry is obviously part of the inner Circle.