Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Old 02-15-2021, 06:03 PM  
NFL's #1 Ermines Fan

A minor electrical story for you.

Our laundry room is in our basement, and the light switch to the room is located at the top of the stairs. However, you can also access the laundry room via another route in the basement with a different outside entrance, so we needed a way to turn the light on if you were already in the basement.

We discovered this need when we moved into the house 25 years ago. After a moment of thought, a cheap and easy solution presented itself. We got one of those motion detectors that screws into the light fixture, and we always leave the light switch on. That way, the light comes on whenever anyone enters the room from any direction. Once in a blue moon someone will accidentally turn off the light switch, but for the most part it works great and it was a $10 solution.

Now, if you go to the laundry room, it's got a big storage room adjacent to it. We access that storage room regularly for everything from WD40 to spare Dr. Pepper to tools to toilet plungers. It's got a separate light that is a classic pre-1950 style where the bare bulb hangs down from a wire and you turn a little thingie on the fixture to turn it on.

So the other day I had to go get a tool out of the toolbox. I went down to the laundry room, and ... the light didn't come on. I grumbled that someone had turned the switch off, but it didn't matter that much because I was going to the storage room anyway and I had little fear of an ambush. I crossed the laundry room, went into the storage room, and turned the little thingie on the hanging light.

It didn't turn on.

I found that odd, but assumed that the light had burned out. So now I had to go back upstairs to turn the laundry room light switch on so I could get enough light to find both the tool I needed and now a spare light bulb for the storage room. (We conveniently store spare light bulbs in the storage room.)

I went upstairs, turned the light on, went down, nodded a greeting to the now lit laundry room, and went into the storage room. Then I had a sudden thought. I reached up and turned the light thingie in the storage room.

The light came on.

I got my tool and went upstairs. My wife was there, and I said, "I'm really embarrassed to ask this question since we've lived here for 25 years, but did you know that the laundry room light switch also controls the light in the storage room?"

She looked at me and said, "It does?"

Apparently neither of us has ever gone into the storage room when the light switch was turned off.
Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 02-15-2021, 06:08 PM   #2
What's up braj?

Can I come over and see how this works?
Jewish Rabbi is obviously part of the inner Circle.Jewish Rabbi is obviously part of the inner Circle.Jewish Rabbi is obviously part of the inner Circle.Jewish Rabbi is obviously part of the inner Circle.Jewish Rabbi is obviously part of the inner Circle.Jewish Rabbi is obviously part of the inner Circle.Jewish Rabbi is obviously part of the inner Circle.Jewish Rabbi is obviously part of the inner Circle.Jewish Rabbi is obviously part of the inner Circle.Jewish Rabbi is obviously part of the inner Circle.Jewish Rabbi is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 02-15-2021, 06:11 PM   #3
NFL's #1 Ermines Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewish Rabbi View Post
Can I come over and see how this works?
Well, usually I only have hitchhikers in my basement, but sure.
Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 06:13 PM   #4
Let's get a snack

Does that mean the bulb in the storage room is original to the house when you purchased it 25 years ago?
mdstu has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.mdstu has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.mdstu has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.mdstu has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.mdstu has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.mdstu has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.mdstu has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.mdstu has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.mdstu has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.mdstu has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.mdstu has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.
Old 02-15-2021, 06:19 PM   #5
NFL's #1 Ermines Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdstu View Post
Does that mean the bulb in the storage room is original to the house when you purchased it 25 years ago?
We've replaced it at least once since it's one of those spiral-like low energy ones, which didn't exist 25 years ago.

Now I'm wondering if maybe we thought a bulb was burned out when it wasn't, though. We may have sent a bulb to a premature death in the past.
Old 02-15-2021, 06:28 PM   #6
Let's get a snack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
We've replaced it at least once since it's one of those spiral-like low energy ones, which didn't exist 25 years ago.

Now I'm wondering if maybe we thought a bulb was burned out when it wasn't, though. We may have sent a bulb to a premature death in the past.
You probably changed it before you had renters/second entrance.
mdstu has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.mdstu has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.mdstu has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.mdstu has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.mdstu has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.mdstu has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.mdstu has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.mdstu has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.mdstu has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.mdstu has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.mdstu has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.
Old 02-15-2021, 06:31 PM   #7
NFL's #1 Ermines Fan

Quote:
You probably changed it before you had renters/second entrance.
Nah, those have been there since WWII. (Well, the renter has changed over time, but not the entrance.) We had a renter the day we moved in. I think the previous landlord just had the renter come up the stairs to turn the light on, which was not going to happen on our watch.
Old 02-15-2021, 06:36 PM   #8
Let's get a snack

Are you going put a motion controlled bulb in the storage room now?
Now that you know it's on all the time.
Old 02-15-2021, 06:41 PM   #9
NFL's #1 Ermines Fan

Quote:
Are you going put a motion controlled bulb in the storage room now?
Now that you know it's on all the time.
Hmm, that's a good idea. It would save me having to turn that little thingie when I come into the room.
Old 02-15-2021, 08:05 PM   #10
Veteran

Commenting before I read it, I'm hoping that this is as entertaining as the missing sock story was.
tyecopeland 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellityecopeland 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellityecopeland 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellityecopeland 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellityecopeland 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellityecopeland 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellityecopeland 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellityecopeland 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellityecopeland 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellityecopeland 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellityecopeland 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitelli
Old 02-15-2021, 08:13 PM   #11
Supporter

Reading that I have a vision in my head of Buffalo Bill's basement.
mlyonsd is obviously part of the inner Circle.mlyonsd is obviously part of the inner Circle.mlyonsd is obviously part of the inner Circle.mlyonsd is obviously part of the inner Circle.mlyonsd is obviously part of the inner Circle.mlyonsd is obviously part of the inner Circle.mlyonsd is obviously part of the inner Circle.mlyonsd is obviously part of the inner Circle.mlyonsd is obviously part of the inner Circle.mlyonsd is obviously part of the inner Circle.mlyonsd is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 02-15-2021, 08:13 PM   #12
MVP

Found your problem
dlphg9 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.dlphg9 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.dlphg9 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.dlphg9 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.dlphg9 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.dlphg9 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.dlphg9 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.dlphg9 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.dlphg9 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.dlphg9 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.dlphg9 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.
Thumbs Up 4 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 08:44 PM   #13
www.nfl-forecast.com

Your story reminds me of the gasoline in the light bulb scene in The Longest Yard. 1974 version. Very pleased that you didn’t catch on fire.
cdcox is obviously part of the inner Circle.cdcox is obviously part of the inner Circle.cdcox is obviously part of the inner Circle.cdcox is obviously part of the inner Circle.cdcox is obviously part of the inner Circle.cdcox is obviously part of the inner Circle.cdcox is obviously part of the inner Circle.cdcox is obviously part of the inner Circle.cdcox is obviously part of the inner Circle.cdcox is obviously part of the inner Circle.cdcox is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 02-15-2021, 08:54 PM   #14
I'll be back.

I was thinking this was going to be a lot creepier.

I thought I had a poltergeist earlier this year when I heard advertisements playing from the living room at 3 AM, after I had turned the TV off.

That's what I get for leaving uTorrent running on my laptop.
Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 02-15-2021, 08:54 PM   #15
www.nfl-forecast.com

Then there is the scene from The Godfather II, where a young Vito Corleone, played by Robert Deniro, uses the ruse of a burnt out lightbulb to distract the leader of the Black Hand as he assassinates him.

1974 movies have made me wary around lightbulbs.
cdcox is obviously part of the inner Circle.cdcox is obviously part of the inner Circle.cdcox is obviously part of the inner Circle.cdcox is obviously part of the inner Circle.cdcox is obviously part of the inner Circle.cdcox is obviously part of the inner Circle.cdcox is obviously part of the inner Circle.cdcox is obviously part of the inner Circle.cdcox is obviously part of the inner Circle.cdcox is obviously part of the inner Circle.cdcox is obviously part of the inner Circle.