Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Old 04-09-2024, 02:45 AM  
I'll **** anything that moves!

Two Dudes Visiting KC For a Weekend

So my best buddy is gonna visit me in the heartland.

Lil background…. We both lived and worked in NYC for about 15 years in the film/tv industry. In that world, you run into a million faces, but you also run into many of the same faces and it becomes a very small world, of sorts.

Through so many shows, we became buddies. And we’ve actually probably become closer friends since we both left NYC. Him going to BC, me going back to Kansas.

He traveled to KC along with a couple other very close friends to KC in 2015 for the Astros series. We lost game one, won game two and the four of us had a great time, and they basically joined me on the trip simply to see me be happy about this unique event!

Fast forward a couple weeks, and it’s the Mets/Royals in the World Series. My buddy asks me, of all people, if I’d like to join him for Game 5. Buddy is a Mets fan. He could’ve asked a million other people. But he asked me. I was pretty overwhelmed. We had standing room tix, and watched the game as Matt Harvey carved up the Royals until our boys in blue tied it up in the 9th and then the rest is history.

So there’s some prologue…. Now we’re both nine years older, and we’re gonna try to be “kids” again. Taking in some weekend baseball, adult beverages, etc…

There’s a few spots I have in mind to check out, but I’d like to see some thoughts, suggestions from the locals.

I’m certain to get some easy bad jokes here, and I’m prepared, so if you’re gonna joke about two middle aged buddies seeing each other for the first time in about two years, at least make it good.

Otherwise, gimme some suggestions. Negro League HOF, Boulevard Brewery, Joe’s, Fiorella’s, Gates, Arthur Bryant’s is covered. Those are obvious.
GabyKeepsMeWarm is not part of the Right 53.GabyKeepsMeWarm is not part of the Right 53.GabyKeepsMeWarm is not part of the Right 53.GabyKeepsMeWarm is not part of the Right 53.GabyKeepsMeWarm is not part of the Right 53.GabyKeepsMeWarm is not part of the Right 53.GabyKeepsMeWarm is not part of the Right 53.GabyKeepsMeWarm is not part of the Right 53.GabyKeepsMeWarm is not part of the Right 53.GabyKeepsMeWarm is not part of the Right 53.GabyKeepsMeWarm is not part of the Right 53.
Old 04-10-2024, 01:25 PM   #91
Like I woke up in Wonderland..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish View Post
OK Joes and Slaps. Be prepared to wait in line for a bit at either place if you arrive around standard lunch/dinner time.

Jack Stack is good. But their best product are their sides. The entrees are average to good. Not bad BBQ, but there's definitely better around town.
Seconded on the top 2 spots.

I've become a fan of Jack Stack's baby back ribs, they are huge and look more like spare ribs but not nearly as fatty.
sedated is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.sedated is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.sedated is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.sedated is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.sedated is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.sedated is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.sedated is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.sedated is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.sedated is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.sedated is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.sedated is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.
Old 04-10-2024, 08:35 PM   #92
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvy View Post
Thanks for the advice but I have a wife who likes to go out to eat and loves steak. The times I do grill steaks at home I make a trip to Paradise Lockers and pick my own. Either way I'm happy she is happy. Also 20 years on the road traveling the pipelines being away for weeks without returning home she deserves getting out and about.
Fair enough, in that case, 801 Chop or Stock Hill if you want fancy. Antons is good, but is all over the place on service. Le Fou Frog is supposed to serve a great steak, but I haven't tried it.
SurroundedByMorons has disabled reputation
Old 04-10-2024, 08:52 PM   #93
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurroundedByMorons View Post
Fair enough, in that case, 801 Chop or Stock Hill if you want fancy. Antons is good, but is all over the place on service. Le Fou Frog is supposed to serve a great steak, but I haven't tried it.
I wanted to like Anton’s so much but I’ve had two of the shittiest steaks of my life at that place and I don’t think I’ll be going again. It’s weird bc I heard GREAT things about it years ago when it first opened but have heard similar reviews to my experience more of late.

I’ve eaten at 801 no less than a dozen times and never had a bad meal. It’s a chain, blah blah but consistency matters. I also love Majestic. Basement is cool, cigar room upstairs even cooler and they have a killer prime rib.

And on the BBQ front, I’m like a broken record on this site but you’re doing yourself a disservice if you don’t visit Harp in Raytown. It stands alone, IMO.
blake5676 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitelliblake5676 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitelliblake5676 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitelliblake5676 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitelliblake5676 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitelliblake5676 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitelliblake5676 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitelliblake5676 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitelliblake5676 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitelliblake5676 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitelliblake5676 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitelli
Old 04-10-2024, 08:54 PM   #94
I'll be back.

if you go to le fou frog get the chocolate mousse
Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-10-2024, 08:58 PM   #95
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvy View Post
The times I do grill steaks at home I make a trip to Paradise Lockers and pick my own. Either way I'm happy she is happy.
We had Paradise butcher our cow when we bought one from a farmer last year. They did an excellent job! I’ve never actually gone up there and bought meat from them though. I’ll have to check it out.

If you haven’t before, you should pop in Captain’s Corner for lunch next time you’re in Paradise.
blake5676 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitelliblake5676 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitelliblake5676 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitelliblake5676 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitelliblake5676 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitelliblake5676 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitelliblake5676 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitelliblake5676 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitelliblake5676 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitelliblake5676 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitelliblake5676 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitelli
Old 04-10-2024, 09:13 PM   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by loochy View Post
You can absolutely count on our bulges being enhanced by our tight slacks... slap my hand soul brother.
GabyKeepsMeWarm is not part of the Right 53.GabyKeepsMeWarm is not part of the Right 53.GabyKeepsMeWarm is not part of the Right 53.GabyKeepsMeWarm is not part of the Right 53.GabyKeepsMeWarm is not part of the Right 53.GabyKeepsMeWarm is not part of the Right 53.GabyKeepsMeWarm is not part of the Right 53.GabyKeepsMeWarm is not part of the Right 53.GabyKeepsMeWarm is not part of the Right 53.GabyKeepsMeWarm is not part of the Right 53.GabyKeepsMeWarm is not part of the Right 53.
Old 04-10-2024, 11:36 PM   #97

Never been to Slaps, Harp or several other bbq joints I’ve seen mentioned here.

Serious question: what sets these others apart? I love Joe’s. I’ve never been disappointed with Jack Stack, and other places have been more hit and miss, though I wouldn’t go so far as to call them garbage.

Already done the P&L thing. Would like to find a good spot or two that have enough seating, isn’t stupid loud with awful music or obnoxious people where we can just drink, chill, maybe grab some bar bites and play some pool, darts, etc…

And because we’ll be using Uber almost exclusively, we’re probably not gonna be looking at spending time any further south than Prairie Village, so sorry JOCO, you’re likely not for this visit.

Might bring the golf clubs, but I’m just not sure if we’ll have time for that, though that is a good idea. Think we will pack our mitts and find some park for a catch and throw.

Thanks again for all the restaurant suggestions. Sounds like Majestic might need to make the list.

Looking ahead at tix for the games, I must admit I’m pleasantly surprised to see so many good seats available for less than $50. If the team continues to win at this pace, I might actually have to consider pulling the trigger on tix sooner than later.

Anyway, there have been a lot of good ideas and suggestions thrown out there, and I genuinely appreciate it. Since my dad died, I haven’t done a lot for myself to simply enjoy things, and not really having any friends around here anymore hasn’t helped. So I’m looking forward to this trip.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2024, 03:57 AM   #98
Mindful Taoist German

Quote:
Originally Posted by GabyKeepsMeWarm View Post
You can absolutely count on our bulges being enhanced by our tight slacks... slap my hand soul brother.
When you finally arrive at that realization and take that big step...hey, have a blast. Eat all the food and do all the things.

You can leave a few details out though. It shows respect for yer' partner...
Rausch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rausch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rausch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rausch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rausch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rausch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rausch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rausch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rausch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rausch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rausch is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-11-2024, 04:22 AM   #99

Quote:

Serious question: what sets these others apart? I love Joe’s. I’ve never been disappointed with Jack Stack, and other places have been more hit and miss, though I wouldn’t go so far as to call them garbage.

Already done the P&L thing. Would like to find a good spot or two that have enough seating, isn’t stupid loud with awful music or obnoxious people where we can just drink, chill, maybe grab some bar bites and play some pool, darts, etc…
Joe's is still the top BBQ spot, you can't go wrong there. Outside of that the other spots all have one thing or another that people like enough to mix them in for the variety. Since you mentioned Slaps I can say it has good all-around stuff as well as some great sides.

You mentioned the bar and wanting to play some pool, darts, etc. Somebody already called out Up-Down. It's a fun place as it's loaded with old-school arcade games in addition to being a good bar. I think all they sell is pizza, but it's good pizza.
wazu is obviously part of the inner Circle.wazu is obviously part of the inner Circle.wazu is obviously part of the inner Circle.wazu is obviously part of the inner Circle.wazu is obviously part of the inner Circle.wazu is obviously part of the inner Circle.wazu is obviously part of the inner Circle.wazu is obviously part of the inner Circle.wazu is obviously part of the inner Circle.wazu is obviously part of the inner Circle.wazu is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-11-2024, 05:07 AM   #100
Veteran

Quote:

I don't suggest Harp because I dislike Joe's. I love joes and I'll put a good Zman with fries up against just about any lunch in the world. But....if I'm wanting a BBQ plate and concerned primarily with just the meats and not so much the sides, Harp is where its at for me. The brisket is Texas style, so cut much thicker with better bark than you get somewhere like Joes or even Slaps, which is my second favorite. The ribs are top notch and again more TX style as well. And his sausage is $$$. Rotates around few different combos but he does a blueberry and white cheddar sausage that is better than sex.

Another option I haven't seen thrown around would be Char Bar. It's in the Westport area and would kill two birds with one stone. I'll admit to only eating there a few times but the Q was solid and they have an entire outdoor adult playground area with picnic tables, cornhole, washers, bocce ball , etc. Would be a fun place to spend an afternoon before catching a game.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2024, 06:16 AM   #101
Fight, build, win!

Quote:

And because we’ll be using Uber almost exclusively, we’re probably not gonna be looking at spending time any further south than Prairie Village, so sorry JOCO, you’re likely not for this visit.

Might bring the golf clubs, but I’m just not sure if we’ll have time for that, though that is a good idea. Think we will pack our mitts and find some park for a catch and throw.

Thanks again for all the restaurant suggestions. Sounds like Majestic might need to make the list.

Looking ahead at tix for the games, I must admit I’m pleasantly surprised to see so many good seats available for less than $50. If the team continues to win at this pace, I might actually have to consider pulling the trigger on tix sooner than later.

Anyway, there have been a lot of good ideas and suggestions thrown out there, and I genuinely appreciate it. Since my dad died, I haven’t done a lot for myself to simply enjoy things, and not really having any friends around here anymore hasn’t helped. So I’m looking forward to this trip.
Harp is I think the best bbq in town but its Raytown. Not beautiful people paradise BBQ so it gets overlooked.
srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-11-2024, 08:50 AM   #102
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by blake5676 View Post
I wanted to like Anton’s so much but I’ve had two of the shittiest steaks of my life at that place and I don’t think I’ll be going again. It’s weird bc I heard GREAT things about it years ago when it first opened but have heard similar reviews to my experience more of late.

I’ve eaten at 801 no less than a dozen times and never had a bad meal. It’s a chain, blah blah but consistency matters. I also love Majestic. Basement is cool, cigar room upstairs even cooler and they have a killer prime rib.

And on the BBQ front, I’m like a broken record on this site but you’re doing yourself a disservice if you don’t visit Harp in Raytown. It stands alone, IMO.
Antons is odd like that. I have had a bad steak and a great steak there, but consensus from everyone is that I must have gotten unlucky. Interesting that you had a similar experience. I do like "the vibe" and beer selection.

I don't think 801 is a chain. They have a Des Moines location, but don't think they are anywhere beyond?
SurroundedByMorons has disabled reputation
Old 04-11-2024, 11:26 PM   #103
Starter

Quote:

I think the bigger a restaurant gets the more corners they have to cut to meet volume. For now Slaps still tastes like small batch carefully prepared food. Add in dishes that are a little different. Just a great spot too, good view of KC from that neighborhood.

The Peanut Downtown(wings), the Quaff (pool), and Johns big deck (space and a patio with a view)are all within a few minutes walk of each other. All of them have slightly different vibes and you might find one to your liking. All are near the majestic and light rail. You will like the majestic. I think they recommend reservations.
While in this same area you can walk to the river market and/or take the light rail. Rent a scooter and head down to river park for a catch. You will find food in the river market but not much for bars. (Minskeys pizza is a KC fave and they will keep you hydrated)

If you are a bit more of a refined fellow then you might like the plaza area. A few easy Ubers will get you to Joes, then over to the Nelson Atkins for the best lawn in KC (museum is free, go check out a mummy or a van gogh) then a walk to the plaza area which has a bit more upscale offerings.... Make sure to post a pic of your lunch bill here to the forums! Westport is another Uber option in this area for food and bev and pool. It's like KC's long standing drinking spot, most everyone has thrown up there once or twice. Multiple bar styles to choose from.

Late.night hit greenlady for jazz, a slice at eclectically weird Grinders, or a burger at Town Topic. All within walking distance and the light rail.
vonBobo < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.vonBobo < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.vonBobo < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.vonBobo < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.vonBobo < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.vonBobo < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.vonBobo < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.vonBobo < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.vonBobo < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.vonBobo < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.vonBobo < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.
Old 04-12-2024, 05:09 AM   #104
#triggering

Is this a love story?
Mile High Mania has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Mile High Mania has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Mile High Mania has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Mile High Mania has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Mile High Mania has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Mile High Mania has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Mile High Mania has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Mile High Mania has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Mile High Mania has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Mile High Mania has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Mile High Mania has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.
Old 04-12-2024, 10:49 AM   #105
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mile High Mania View Post
Is this a love story?
Denver sure has become a soulless corporate yuppie wasteland eh? Too bad, used to be a cool place.
vonBobo < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.vonBobo < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.vonBobo < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.vonBobo < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.vonBobo < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.vonBobo < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.vonBobo < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.vonBobo < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.vonBobo < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.vonBobo < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.vonBobo < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.