Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Old 01-15-2013, 04:27 AM  
ON CP YOU’RE SOMEBODY’S BITCH!

*** Official Youth, High School, College and International Wrestling Thread ***

I can't be the only wrestling fan on this site. In fact, I know I that's not the case. The almighty king of n00bs, Sorter, is a wrestling fan. I figure there could be more.....????

Discuss anything wrestling related:

Youth wrestling: Heck, wrestling in Iowa has a rabid Youth wrestling scene...I lived through it, my younger brother lived through it and my brothers who are 15 and 13 are living through it, well the 13 year old is anyway...he's in high school. The 13 year old is a 7th grader who has been wrestling since he was 5 years old and has accumulated 4 state championships since his second grade year...a total badass. Believe it or not, Iowa has a youth wrestling forum that is hopping...even during the summer. Iowans take this stuff seriously. I'm assuming other states have rabid youth followings, for when I watch my bros at National tourneys, we are constantly running into kids and super clubs from other states that are amazing. Ironically, one of the biggest youth tourneys our club hits annually is the Park Hill Individual and Dual tournament...which to my knowledge is in Kansas City (I've never attended that one). Do any of you have kids who are wrestling? If so, how are they doing?

High School Wrestling: High school and college wrestling in Iowa is big... we are known for it, ask AC Slater. State tournament is a big, televised event at the Wells Fargo dome...you will see probably 10 times more spectators at state wrestling in Iowa then any other high school sporting event in Iowa. With some of the crazy talent I have seen/wrestled against at Fargo Nationals, I am assuming that it's either on the rise or just as big in other states as well... What are your thoughts on some of the high school wrestlers and/or teams out there?

College Wrestling: Hell, you Missourians semi-recently had those Askren brothers. I've never met Max, but have met Ben. He was the celebrity guest at Iowa Grade School State one year...he signed autographs and handed the medals and wall charts to all of the kids on the podium that year, which was cool because my youngest brother won it that year and was able to get his championship singlet signed by him. I was with my brother when he approached him....Askren struck me as a funny, goofy type of dude. I don't know Max, but someone posted his blog on an Iowa wrestling message board and the dude seems like a character. I know there are some Oklahomans' who post on this board. Anyone see Okie State defeat Iowa this past weekend? Iowa's first dual loss of the year. Anyone have any thoughts on college wrestling?

International Wrestling: Any of you have any thoughts on the international wrestling scene? Future Olympians, future Olympic champs, future World champs, Greco, Freestyle, etc.?

Wrestling Memories/General Discussion: Any of you have any memories you'd like to share from your personal experience(s) of wrestling when you were in youth, high school or college? Any opinions on females wrestling with males. Last year, a girl named Megan Black made history in Iowa by placing at state. Do you believe females should be able to wrestle with males at that age? Any thoughts on weight cutting? What are some of the most memorable matches to you? Who are your favorite wrestlers? One match that always sticks out to me is this:

Crazy match.

My favorite wrestler (besides my bros and former teammates) of all time is ironically not an Iowan. I don't really have a favorite team in wrestling...I root for individuals. It's a dude from Ohio that I initially hated because I didn't like the way he conducted himself after a match vs. my brother in the national duals when he and my brother were Seniors in High School, in which he defeated my brother. Kid was cocky. He and my brother both went on to wrestle D1, so I followed him since I knew who he was. I ended up becoming a huge fan of the kid's style...the kid could hit cradles from ANY position. He went on to win 2 National titles for Ohio State...and did so both years as an underdog, for he'd lose quite a few silly matches during the season, presumably due to his risky, but dangerous style that worked well for him at NCAA Nationals. It's a dude named Jeff Jaggers. First vid is what really put his name on the map as a high school wrestler. 2nd vid is his 1st NCAA championship as a Junior, in a match where he was a huge underdog, broke his ankle during the match and gutted it out and won. My favorite wrestlers tend to be the ones who are risk takers or brawlers...not afraid to be aggressive or take chances. I can't stand stallish wrestlers who are successful as hell simply because they don't open up and therefore don't give up points and score their own points by capitalizing on the other wrestler's aggression. Boring.

So what ya got?

Note: I have been posting on wrestling message boards for 12 years and I (and I'm sure everyone else involved with the sport) have heard every wrestling joke (rolling around with men, etc.) imaginable, but if ya want to clown on the sport, shoot... it was inevitable to happen anyways on CP, so have at it!
rico is obviously part of the inner Circle.rico is obviously part of the inner Circle.rico is obviously part of the inner Circle.rico is obviously part of the inner Circle.rico is obviously part of the inner Circle.rico is obviously part of the inner Circle.rico is obviously part of the inner Circle.rico is obviously part of the inner Circle.rico is obviously part of the inner Circle.rico is obviously part of the inner Circle.rico is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 03-21-2015, 05:42 AM   #256
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins View Post
Failing in situations like this has become so persistent and emblematic of Missouri athletics that it's nearly impossible to have hope that it won't happen.
****ing disheartening. I was truly happy for these guys and was hoping and praying that they can snap this damn curse but the Mizzou curse is far too strong and once again they reminded me why I can never have faith in them.
Pepe Silvia has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Pepe Silvia has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Pepe Silvia has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Pepe Silvia has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Pepe Silvia has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Pepe Silvia has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Pepe Silvia has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Pepe Silvia has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Pepe Silvia has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Pepe Silvia has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.Pepe Silvia has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.
Old 03-21-2015, 10:03 AM   #257
Now you've pissed me off!

Cox just lost again to McIntyre from Penn State with a takedown in the last five seconds of the match.
'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 03-21-2015, 10:58 AM   #258
Better than Nelson

Unfortunately, Mizzou drops out of contention after this year. This was the year they needed to put it all together. They do have some good talent around the room in Cox, Lavallee, Mayes and Miklus for the next 2-3 years. I'm interested to see Daniel Lewis enter the lineup next year at 165 and they have a freshman coming in that I like named Jaydin Clayton. Next year:

125- McGhee
133- Synon/Manley
141- Clayton/Crane
149- Mayes
157- Lavallee
165- Lewis
174- T. Miklus OR Johnston OR D. Wisman
184- Johnston OR W. Miklus
197- W. Miklus OR Cox
Hwt- Cox OR ???
Rudy tossed tigger's salad would the whole thing.Rudy tossed tigger's salad would the whole thing.Rudy tossed tigger's salad would the whole thing.Rudy tossed tigger's salad would the whole thing.Rudy tossed tigger's salad would the whole thing.Rudy tossed tigger's salad would the whole thing.Rudy tossed tigger's salad would the whole thing.Rudy tossed tigger's salad would the whole thing.Rudy tossed tigger's salad would the whole thing.Rudy tossed tigger's salad would the whole thing.Rudy tossed tigger's salad would the whole thing.
Old 03-21-2015, 02:46 PM   #259

Quote:
Houdashelt won his match comfortably.

I have a question for the knowledgeable wrestling posters:

It seems like Missouri is eking out of a bunch of close wins, and their dominant wrestlers are only barely winning point-wise, even thought they dominate most of the match.

Do they normally wrestle a conservative style as a team? It seems like it cost them a lot of potential points.
The perception of Mizzou wrestlers seems to vary from fan base to fan base. The fan base I am exposed to/around most often is the Iowa fan base. I am kind of neutral about Iowa Hawkeye wrestling and have been, pretty much since the early 2000's, when a bunch of the friends I made through wrestling kind of scattered, in terms of where they wrestled...not to mention, the college I wrestled for, although not D1, met up with Iowa 3 times per year...and my brother who graduated high school in 2003, wrestled D1 for an in-state University (UNI), so I kind of developed an affinity for them. Iowa seemed to end up with all the guys I considered to be dickheads on a personal level. They've had guys wrestle for them in the past 15 years who are very cool on a personal level...It's difficult to think of nicer, better people than guys like Daniel Ereckson, Derek St. John, Ryan Morningstar (regardless of how frustrated Iowa fans were of his style, he is a nice and GOOD person), etc. My God though, Iowa in the past 15 years (and probably much longer) has had some guys who make you cringe when you see them out at the ped mall or in any social atmosphere...they tend to be wrestling robots that are programmed to start fights after they've had a mere sip of alcohol. I can't count the number of times I've had to break up, mediate, hear about, etc. fights involving various Iowa wrestlers and my friends. A lot of college wrestling teams have these types of guys, to some extent...I've been around a ton of different wrestler groups. However, Iowa, for whatever reason has always had the biggest assholes that I've personally interacted with. The fan base is not much different.

Back to your question, I interact with Hawkeye wrestling fans all of the time. Hawkeye fans have been adamant since Mizzou beat Iowa in the National Dual finals a few weeks ago, that the entire Mizzou team consists of nothing, but stallers and/or defensive wrestlers. I personally feel that the Iowa fan base was being excessively whiney after that dual. Do I think Mizzou had some wrestlers/moments in that particular dual where the Mizzou wrestlers were stallish? Sure. Do I think Iowa had those same moments? You betcha. Iowa has some stalling, defensive motor scooters in their lineup. I don't think either team consists entirely of stallish, defensive, or offensive wrestlers. I think with both lineups, it just kind of varies from wrestler to wrestler. Both teams, in this year's NCAA tournament haven't exactly squeezed an abundance of bonus points from their wrestlers, generally speaking...which at this point, with the way OSU has performed (ugh), I don't know if it would have made much of a difference, but it obviously wouldn't have hurt to have scored those bonus points...which are generally racked up by the wrestlers being offensive and dominant due to their offense.

Following the Mizzou vs. Iowa dual, the Iowa fans complained about the Mizzou wrestlers stalling, to the point where it caught the attention of MU wrestling legend, Ben Askren...and he responded to them via video rant. It is pretty entertaining and I agree with him. I mentioned in an earlier post that Askren was a wrestling celebrity guest at the Iowa Grade School State tournament a couple years ago and my youngest 2 brothers who wrestled in the tournament, met him and now idolize him because of how cool and funny of a person they thought he was... Here is the rant video:

Watch more videos on FloWrestling

If that video doesn't embed properly, here is the link: http://www.flowrestling.org/video/76...sts-Iowa-Style
rico is obviously part of the inner Circle.rico is obviously part of the inner Circle.rico is obviously part of the inner Circle.rico is obviously part of the inner Circle.rico is obviously part of the inner Circle.rico is obviously part of the inner Circle.rico is obviously part of the inner Circle.rico is obviously part of the inner Circle.rico is obviously part of the inner Circle.rico is obviously part of the inner Circle.rico is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 03-21-2015, 03:17 PM   #260

I'm really pulling for this Zeke Moisey kid at 125... Man, what a story he has been.
Old 03-21-2015, 03:30 PM   #261

Zeke Moisey....seriously...this kid has just been relentless...fun to watch.

http://youtu.be/1oy8J-npi9I

Can't embed from my phone... It's his semis match vs Gilman.
Old 03-21-2015, 06:09 PM   #262

Starting out with Houdashelt vs. Habat....
Old 03-21-2015, 06:19 PM   #263

Houdashelt will be awarded a stalling point if Habat keeps backing up like he is.
Old 03-21-2015, 06:25 PM   #264

Nice counter for the win and national title for Houdashelt. Congrats Mizzou fans!
Old 03-21-2015, 06:28 PM   #265

Quote:
Originally Posted by rico View Post
Nice counter for the win and national title for Houdashelt. Congrats Mizzou fans!
Could you explain why that gets counted as a TD. Again, I'm a total n00b. It looked like he just blocked Habat's attempt to shoot his legs and circled around to his back.

Did he do something that I'm not sophisticated enough to pick up there?
'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 03-21-2015, 06:31 PM   #266

I just saw a Vine which made it clearer. He blocked, threw Habat down, then got on his back.
Old 03-21-2015, 06:37 PM   #267

Quote:
Could you explain why that gets counted as a TD. Again, I'm a total n00b. It looked like he just blocked Habat's attempt to shoot his legs and circled around to his back.

Did he do something that I'm not sophisticated enough to pick up there?
It's all good. Gotta start somewhere.

Houdashelt and Habat were on their feet, also known as the neutral position. Habat took an offensive shot to Houdashelt's legs, in which Houdashelt brilliantly and quickly countered and spun around Habat, brought him down to the mat and covered his hips...Habat being technically considered "down" on the mat was decided by his supporting parts being down on the mat, which means his weight was being supported by these parts. The supporting parts are generally the hands, elbows, feet, hips and knees.
Old 03-21-2015, 07:00 PM   #268

I'd love it if Martinez bumped up a weight next year and we got to see a Martinez vs. Dieringer match.
Old 03-21-2015, 07:00 PM   #269
(Sir/Yes Sir/Aye Aye Sir)

Great wrestler, but I still hate OSU..
GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 03-21-2015, 07:09 PM   #270
(Sir/Yes Sir/Aye Aye Sir)

See, they're already talking about riding time. God I hate riding...

Riding:
GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.