Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room > Media Center
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Old 12-03-2020, 05:30 PM  
Supporter

Trimming the cord, not ready to cut it?

Do you have a HD antenna? Ours actually gives us a better picture than Satellite and it is in our attic over 50 miles from the Springfield stations.

We haven't had a cord totally cut yet, but have we been on the satellite for almost 30 years now, so it is a big step.

After over 22 years with DTV we switched to Dish a few years ago because we hated the change of DTV to ATT corporate.

For the last two years, we have been faced with major networks pulling their broadcasts from Dish, CBS, NFLnetwork and Fox, etc.
"
Have any of you used the "cut the cord" dvrs sold on Amazon such as this? https://www.amazon.com/Fire-TV-Recas...s%2C545&sr=8-3

I look forward to a good discussion of this from the CP braintrust and want to learn.
HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 12-04-2020, 02:56 PM   #16
Supporter

I've been paying $4.99 a month for Cloud DVR services through my Spectrum Choice plan but with Ad-Free Hulu, Netflix, Amazon and the ability to log into the NBC, ABC and Fox apps, I thinking of dumping it, mainly because we can watch everything the following day on one of those services in most cases, Live. I have Game Pass so I don't really need a DVR for Chiefs games or the NFL in general. Plus, the NFL Network replays all of the best games during the following week.

It's only taken me a year but I'm finally getting into Hulu and I'm really digging it, not only because it's Ad Free but also because the streaming quality is much higher than the NBC or ABC apps. We watched the Minion Holiday Special Live and it was chopping and uneven but when we watched it the next day on Hulu, the stream looked amazing.

Hulu currently has a special on the ad supported version for only $1.99 for 12 months, which is a steal, IMO.
DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 03:27 PM   #17
'Tis my eye!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud View Post
I've been paying $4.99 a month for Cloud DVR services through my Spectrum Choice plan but with Ad-Free Hulu, Netflix, Amazon and the ability to log into the NBC, ABC and Fox apps, I thinking of dumping it, mainly because we can watch everything the following day on one of those services in most cases, Live. I have Game Pass so I don't really need a DVR for Chiefs games or the NFL in general. Plus, the NFL Network replays all of the best games during the following week.

It's only taken me a year but I'm finally getting into Hulu and I'm really digging it, not only because it's Ad Free but also because the streaming quality is much higher than the NBC or ABC apps. We watched the Minion Holiday Special Live and it was chopping and uneven but when we watched it the next day on Hulu, the stream looked amazing.

Hulu currently has a special on the ad supported version for only $1.99 for 12 months, which is a steal, IMO.
Hulu has, in the last year, become our favorite and most-used streaming service. It's a great deal and with the ESPN/Disney bundle, even more value.
htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 12-06-2020, 01:03 PM   #18
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish View Post
If you do go with a FireTV device, I highly recommend getting this cheap adapter that allows for ethernet and multiple USB devices: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LLUEJXW/?tag=aftvn-20

The FireTV performs much better on ethernet if available. If there's any way to run ethernet cable to your main device, it's absolutely worth it. But if not, make sure you have a good wifi router and one of the later generation FireTV devices, and it should be fine.

The reason you want extra USB ports is that allows you to use wireless keyboard/mouse or add external storage.

Note: The referenced adapter does not work with the Gen1 FireTV Stick. You likely won't find one of those really old devices, but I thought I should mention.
Well we have the firestick recast installed. Love it, thanks again for all the help.
HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 12-06-2020, 01:04 PM   #19
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish View Post
If you do go with a FireTV device, I highly recommend getting this cheap adapter that allows for ethernet and multiple USB devices: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LLUEJXW/?tag=aftvn-20

The FireTV performs much better on ethernet if available. If there's any way to run ethernet cable to your main device, it's absolutely worth it. But if not, make sure you have a good wifi router and one of the later generation FireTV devices, and it should be fine.

The reason you want extra USB ports is that allows you to use wireless keyboard/mouse or add external storage.

Note: The referenced adapter does not work with the Gen1 FireTV Stick. You likely won't find one of those really old devices, but I thought I should mention.
Well we have the firestick recast installed. Love it, thanks again for all the help.

I am ready to kick the Dish to the curb, but I think it is going to take a little more to convince the Mrs.
Old 12-06-2020, 01:19 PM   #20
Future NBA Finals MVP

Locast
BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 12-07-2020, 07:21 AM   #21
'Tis my eye!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HemiEd View Post

I am ready to kick the Dish to the curb, but I think it is going to take a little more to convince the Mrs.
Get her hooked on streaming. Once she realizes she can sit and watch an entire season of something in a few hours, she'll forget about Dish.
htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 12-07-2020, 07:33 AM   #22
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by htismaqe View Post
Get her hooked on streaming. Once she realizes she can sit and watch an entire season of something in a few hours, she'll forget about Dish.
Good idea. However, our internet speed is less than desirable at times living out here 10 miles from the nearest vending machine.

I just tested the speed and it came back 18 and 1, much better than some of the time.

Last night I ended up putting a 75ohm AB switch on the antenna feed so I could switch the game over to watch the tv straight off the antenna.
Old 12-07-2020, 09:00 AM   #23
Everybody Lies.

My desktop computer has an HDMI port on the graphics card. I've just had it hooked up to my 60 inch tv for the past 7 years. It's the way to go. Haven't missed cable at all.
lcarus is obviously part of the inner Circle.lcarus is obviously part of the inner Circle.lcarus is obviously part of the inner Circle.lcarus is obviously part of the inner Circle.lcarus is obviously part of the inner Circle.lcarus is obviously part of the inner Circle.lcarus is obviously part of the inner Circle.lcarus is obviously part of the inner Circle.lcarus is obviously part of the inner Circle.lcarus is obviously part of the inner Circle.lcarus is obviously part of the inner Circle.