Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

View Poll Results: Where would you like to move in the good old USA or Internationally
I would never move I live in paradise. (Where do you live) 13 20.31%
i would never move out of the USA but I could see myself living in? 12 18.75%
If the country has problems I would consider moving internationally. My points of interest are? 12 18.75%
I would love to live internationally at some point. My points of interest are? 27 42.19%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-31-2018, 04:23 PM  
THE RED MENACE

Moving Nationally or Internationally

If you were going to move would you consider an international move ever? If you were going to pick another spot in the good old USA where would you like to be? For me I could see Austin in my not too distant future. If our country goes hard left I would have to look at the options at that time but I am going to start the process next year. I would love to look at Panama. I have seen several clients and friends move over the years. The most popular places have been Costa Rica, Philippines, Equador and Brazil but I know a lot of Brazilians. i can't forget Monaco for those with a lot of cash.
BIG_DADDY has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.BIG_DADDY has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.BIG_DADDY has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.BIG_DADDY has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.BIG_DADDY has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.BIG_DADDY has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.BIG_DADDY has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.BIG_DADDY has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.BIG_DADDY has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.BIG_DADDY has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.BIG_DADDY has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.
Old 07-21-2020, 10:26 AM   #211
Sauntering Vaguely Downwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
Going to some country like that seems like a good financial move, but I'm just not knowledgeable enough to pull the trigger. I'd be wary of investing in real estate but don't want to rent, and I wouldn't want to move my financial assets into some place that may not be stable. (I guess not all of them require that, but it seems like some do.) I wouldn't mind having a villa and servants, but I'll have to do a lot more research to consider that, and I know that my wife is very wary of it to start with.

I think I've got one more international destination coming up on the list, which is one I'd defintiely consider, though.
I forgot about my #1 spot.

The Republic of Malta.

Former British colony smack-ass in the middle of the Mediterranean off the southern tip of Italy. Fairly stable (apart from being a staging area during every major world war) and near a bunch of places I'd love to visit.

Yeah, I'd probably go with Malta.
DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 07-21-2020, 10:27 AM   #212
NFL's #1 Ermines Fan

Actually, doing a gap year in another country would be cool if you could do it. You sell your house, park the money somewhere, and go rent a place in the target country for a year to learn about it. If you get tired of it, you come back and if you like it you buy. Hmm (rubbing chin thoughtfully).

I think the only obstacle might be taxes. Don't you have to re-invest home sale money into another home relatively quickly to avoid capital gains taxes? I haven't sold a home in age so I don't remember the rule.
Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 07-21-2020, 10:28 AM   #213
He's Mahomie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugeater View Post
BECAUSE WE CAN'T ****ING AFFORD IT
What, you don't like 55% taxes? Buddy of mine just escaped CA. Coming back to FL.

Don't get me wrong. I agree w/Rainman about how beautiful it is out west. From what I understand most of the conservatives live away from the beach and CA actually has the most conservative towns by state.

But those taxes though...
MahiMike is obviously part of the inner Circle.MahiMike is obviously part of the inner Circle.MahiMike is obviously part of the inner Circle.MahiMike is obviously part of the inner Circle.MahiMike is obviously part of the inner Circle.MahiMike is obviously part of the inner Circle.MahiMike is obviously part of the inner Circle.MahiMike is obviously part of the inner Circle.MahiMike is obviously part of the inner Circle.MahiMike is obviously part of the inner Circle.MahiMike is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 07-21-2020, 10:29 AM   #214
Sauntering Vaguely Downwards

Quote:
Actually, doing a gap year in another country would be cool if you could do it. You sell your house, park the money somewhere, and go rent a place in the target country for a year to learn about it. If you get tired of it, you come back and if you like it you buy. Hmm (rubbing chin thoughtfully).

I think the only obstacle might be taxes. Don't you have to re-invest home sale money into another home relatively quickly to avoid capital gains taxes? I haven't sold a home in age so I don't remember the rule.
Typically, yes. No idea how that would work internationally, though. Gotta imagine there are tax shelters available for stuff like that.

For an international move, I'm betting there are realtors that specialize in that sort of thing. Just perusing 'realtor.com' and looking for island listings is probably unwise.

And ultimately that would probably be what I'd do as well. Hell, I'd recommend doing that for moving out of state. Rent 6 months, get a feel for the area, then look to buy.

Because you figure out pretty quickly where you do/do not want to be.
DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 07-21-2020, 10:30 AM   #215
NFL's #1 Ermines Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut View Post
I forgot about my #1 spot.

The Republic of Malta.

Former British colony smack-ass in the middle of the Mediterranean off the southern tip of Italy. Fairly stable (apart from being a staging area during every major world war) and near a bunch of places I'd love to visit.

Yeah, I'd probably go with Malta.
A friend of mine lived in Malta for a while. It seemed very nice.

This woman wows me with her internationalism. She's Dutch (but half Chinese) and married a Yemeni guy. They speak English, Dutch, Arabic, and probably other languages and they've lived in the USA, Malta, Tunisia, the Netherlands, and Canada over the past two decades. They just up and move to some very different place whenever they get the urge.
Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 07-21-2020, 10:30 AM   #216
He's Mahomie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by teedubya View Post
I'm already working on setting up a base in the Cayman Islands. It has first world banking and internet. It rarely gets hit by hurricanes... It's CST time zone... the beaches are pristine. It's a 2 hour flight to Miami... 3.5 hour flight to Houston.
Can you open up an account for me?
MahiMike is obviously part of the inner Circle.MahiMike is obviously part of the inner Circle.MahiMike is obviously part of the inner Circle.MahiMike is obviously part of the inner Circle.MahiMike is obviously part of the inner Circle.MahiMike is obviously part of the inner Circle.MahiMike is obviously part of the inner Circle.MahiMike is obviously part of the inner Circle.MahiMike is obviously part of the inner Circle.MahiMike is obviously part of the inner Circle.MahiMike is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 07-21-2020, 10:33 AM   #217
NFL's #1 Ermines Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MahiMike View Post
What, you don't like 55% taxes? Buddy of mine just escaped CA. Coming back to FL.

Don't get me wrong. I agree w/Rainman about how beautiful it is out west. From what I understand most of the conservatives live away from the beach and CA actually has the most conservative towns by state.

But those taxes though...
I'm trying to figure out Florida. No income tax, and my model includes adjustments for property tax and sales tax. And yet Florida still shines like a low-tax beacon for retirement finances.

How do they get money to run the government? They're getting revenue from somewhere and I'm trying to figure out if I'm missing something in my model.
Old 07-21-2020, 10:37 AM   #218
He's Mahomie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strongside View Post
I’ll have a house in either Austria or Belgium when I retire. I have an office in Belgium but frequent Austria...both great people, great food, great culture, and most importantly...great beer.
My wife is Austrian and I lived there back in early 90's. This will probably be our getaway spot during the good months (June - September). I already speak German so don't have to learn Spanish if I went to Panama.

Belgiums were really cool to me as an American. I liked it.
Old 07-21-2020, 07:27 PM   #219
NFL's #1 Ermines Fan

#31 through 35. See picture for scoring.

#31 – Trinidad (CO)
https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...-34697?view=qv

#32 – Lake Havasu City (AZ)
https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...-88072?view=qv

#33 – Savannah (GA)
https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...-09300?view=qv

#34 – Salida (CO)
https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...-27984?view=qv

#35 – Port Angeles (WA)
https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...-62387?view=qv

Summary (in ascending order)

35 - Port Angeles (WA) – Hmm. I could really get into Port Angeles. The climate is pretty much perfect. There’s some humidity, but when the July high is 69 it’s not a big deal. Winters are mild with just a touch of snow to make it exciting, and it actually rains less than most of the Midwest and South (though it’s often overcast). You can go downtown and take a ferry to Victoria in Canada, which I’ve heard is beautiful, and you’re also reasonably close to Seattle. The sample house doesn’t have a lot of curb appeal, but it’s nice. I would very seriously consider Port Angeles, even though I probably gave the housing selection too high a score. You’d have to wait for the right house in a mediocre market. The market is reasonably affordable, knocking a year off of my retirement calendar.

34 - Salida (CO) – Again, the sample house doesn’t have much curb appeal, but it’s nice inside and has great views. It’s slightly more affordable than Denver, but you’re also getting a much colder winter, albeit with 1/3 less snow. The summers are a bit cooler, which would be nice. You’d lose a lot of services in a small town.

33 – Savannah (GA) – It’s a little more affordable than Denver to get a very nice house, and the winters are nice and mild. The summers would be worse, though, with slightly higher temperatures and a lot more humidity. The town leans left politically so it’s not exactly “the South”. Not sure it’s worth the cultural shift for me, but it’s an option that has a lot of positives. I liked Savannah the one time I visited.

32 – Lake Havasu City (AZ) – It’s a little more affordable than Denver, which is a positive, and if you look past the clutter the sample house is very nice. The winters are very mild and there’s low humidity. It leans right on the political front. The elephant in the room, though, is that summer temperature. That’s rough. That’s really rough. I don’t know if I could do that.

31 – Trinidad (CO) – Even though it’s further south than Denver, it’s higher in elevation, so the climate is identical – almost exactly the same seasonal temperatures, same humidity, same snow totals. You can get pretty cheap housing there, which makes it notably more affordable than Denver, so retirement moves up by 1.5 years. But you gain nothing on the weather front and you lose some services in a small town that’s a long way from a big town.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Retirement 31 to 35.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	120889  
Old 07-21-2020, 10:45 PM   #220
Would an idiot do that?

Random tidbit you may find interesting... Pyramid Peak is close to Port Angeles, which is around 3000' IIRC, and there's a World War II lookout at the peak.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyra...ervice_Lookout

Didn't spend much time in Port Angeles either time I've been up there, but it's a beautiful area. I looked at houses a while back and it's crazy how far out from Seattle you have to go before housing is somewhat reasonable.

Another random tidbit... you can visit the London Bridge in Lake Havasu City.
Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 07-22-2020, 12:33 AM   #221
Starter

Of note- in SoCal, Orange and Corona may look pretty close, but they are extremely different places. In Corona, temps are 10-15 degrees hotter, politics lean much farther to the right, and it can take over an hour with normal traffic to get between the two. There’s also some pretty negative attitudes about people that live in corona (and further East) anywhere worth going to in SoCal.
nbkc fan is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutnbkc fan is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutnbkc fan is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutnbkc fan is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutnbkc fan is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutnbkc fan is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutnbkc fan is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutnbkc fan is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutnbkc fan is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutnbkc fan is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutnbkc fan is the dumbass Milkman is always talking about
Old 07-22-2020, 02:09 AM   #222
Politically Incorrect

Quote:
I'm trying to figure out Florida. No income tax, and my model includes adjustments for property tax and sales tax. And yet Florida still shines like a low-tax beacon for retirement finances.

How do they get money to run the government? They're getting revenue from somewhere and I'm trying to figure out if I'm missing something in my model.
No bloated school systems, no stupid government programs and freebies and other shit.

CA hides all the money they have wasted on Social Programs, especially for illegals.
scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 07-22-2020, 09:07 AM   #223
Cheat Death

Love the idea of that Port Angeles area and the home itself. May be too tucked away for me though. I've always wanted to visit that area but never do because it seems like a pain to get to. Which has its perks I guess until you want to travel elsewhere yourself.

Lake Havasu is intriguing, but I wonder outside of the obvious amazing lake, what the city itself has to offer. It seems kind of out there as well and I'm not really boat savvy at this stage in life.
KCUnited is obviously part of the inner Circle.KCUnited is obviously part of the inner Circle.KCUnited is obviously part of the inner Circle.KCUnited is obviously part of the inner Circle.KCUnited is obviously part of the inner Circle.KCUnited is obviously part of the inner Circle.KCUnited is obviously part of the inner Circle.KCUnited is obviously part of the inner Circle.KCUnited is obviously part of the inner Circle.KCUnited is obviously part of the inner Circle.KCUnited is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 07-22-2020, 09:10 AM   #224
I love your mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut View Post
Taking low 7 figures with me to the DR would be a solid long-term goal.

The Dominican, in its developed areas, has very good infrastructure and is quite nice. I felt extremely safe the entire time I was there - much more so than in Mexico.

Beautiful scenery, friendly people and cheap beachfront property. I have a foundational understanding of Spanish I could build back up again (I could speak it in my college days; not so much anymore).

But probably avoid Haiti. There there be dragons.

Within the country I'd probably settle into the coastal Carolinas somewhere. Southern North Carolina would be the sweet spot but I could handle South Carolina as well.

My mom lived in the DR for 9 years she loved it but I am not sure it would be for me although when I visited in was a teen and she lived in the middle of Puerto Plata in the late 80s so I assume things have changed.

I would pick Turks and Caicos probably the nicest beaches and weather I have ever seen, weather seems pretty consistent not super touristy , probably touch expensive though. Something close to Europe would be nice but like anywhere you go eventually things would get stagnant so I would try and have few places to move around.
Monticore would the whole thing.Monticore would the whole thing.Monticore would the whole thing.Monticore would the whole thing.Monticore would the whole thing.Monticore would the whole thing.Monticore would the whole thing.Monticore would the whole thing.Monticore would the whole thing.Monticore would the whole thing.Monticore would the whole thing.
Old 07-22-2020, 10:04 AM   #225
I love your mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by MahiMike View Post
My wife is Austrian and I lived there back in early 90's. This will probably be our getaway spot during the good months (June - September). I already speak German so don't have to learn Spanish if I went to Panama.

Belgiums were really cool to me as an American. I liked it.
I loved Austria and Germany , my German is pretty weak but they would be great places to live.
Monticore would the whole thing.Monticore would the whole thing.Monticore would the whole thing.Monticore would the whole thing.Monticore would the whole thing.Monticore would the whole thing.Monticore would the whole thing.Monticore would the whole thing.Monticore would the whole thing.Monticore would the whole thing.Monticore would the whole thing.