Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Old 04-28-2024, 04:32 AM   #2
Feeling Victorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhawhaWhat View Post
After the MLB strike in 1994. That pissed a lot of people off that never came back.
I would have to go with this. Plus the Royals were pretty good that year and were making a push at the moment in the AL Central. They were like 2-3 games back. And then play stopped. God did that piss me off!! Baseball died inside of me because of that. I've never really cared about it the same since. Not even during the Royals WS years. I watched but my heart really hasn't been with them since 94. And I really used to be a die hard Royals fan. I grew up with the memories of sitting out on the front porch at my Grandparents house in KC with my Grandpa during the summer. Listening to the Royals games on his portable radio that could pick up every band there was including shortwave. He let me drink beer with him I'm 15-16 ect. We sat there and listened to the Royals and drank Hamns beer and shot the shit. A lot of times my Dad and older bros and Uncles were there also. It was great times and great Royals memories too.
This would have been early to mid 70's

Last edited by alanm; 04-28-2024 at 04:41 AM..
alanm is obviously part of the inner Circle.alanm is obviously part of the inner Circle.alanm is obviously part of the inner Circle.alanm is obviously part of the inner Circle.alanm is obviously part of the inner Circle.alanm is obviously part of the inner Circle.alanm is obviously part of the inner Circle.alanm is obviously part of the inner Circle.alanm is obviously part of the inner Circle.alanm is obviously part of the inner Circle.alanm is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 7 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2024, 06:29 AM   #3
Veteran

Quote:
After the MLB strike in 1994. That pissed a lot of people off that never came back.
I feel like this is when it really shifted. The strike coupled with Dallas becoming a team that everyone either jumped on the bandwagon or absolutely hated. This created a bunch of rivalries and banter between fans. I feel like it really took off from there. That’s just my experience, anyway.
MVChiefFan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.MVChiefFan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.MVChiefFan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.MVChiefFan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.MVChiefFan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.MVChiefFan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.MVChiefFan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.MVChiefFan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.MVChiefFan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.MVChiefFan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.MVChiefFan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2024, 07:33 AM   #4
Has a particular set of skills

Quote:
l think the McGuire/Sosa home run race saved baseball. It became a national story way beyond baseball fans. The fans came back the next year in their normal sizes/

Then the steroids scandals hit and football went to another level and "America's Game" was now football.
BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-28-2024, 07:39 AM   #5
Starter

You guys are way off. Football in national surveys passed baseball in the 60s. I am inmy mid 50s and football has always been more popular. The only thing that has changed is the gap.
kgrund is not part of the Right 53.kgrund is not part of the Right 53.kgrund is not part of the Right 53.kgrund is not part of the Right 53.kgrund is not part of the Right 53.kgrund is not part of the Right 53.kgrund is not part of the Right 53.kgrund is not part of the Right 53.kgrund is not part of the Right 53.kgrund is not part of the Right 53.kgrund is not part of the Right 53.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2024, 08:57 AM   #6
NFL's #1 Ermines Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgrund View Post
You guys are way off. Football in national surveys passed baseball in the 60s. I am inmy mid 50s and football has always been more popular. The only thing that has changed is the gap.
Agreed. I'm not checking the numbers, so I don't know when viewership for football passed baseball, but I think the writing was on the wall for baseball as soon as sports became televised. Baseball is a really good sport for radio, and football isn't. Football is a really good sport for tv and baseball isn't. How many people listen to radio anymore?
Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-28-2024, 01:09 PM   #7
I Like The Kansas City Chiefs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedChief View Post
l think the McGuire/Sosa home run race saved baseball. It became a national story way beyond baseball fans. The fans came back the next year in their normal sizes/

Then the steroids scandals hit and football went to another level and "America's Game" was now football.
I agree with this.

MLB “felt” very important in the late 90’s. Those Yankees teams were a big ****ing deal.

But the Steroid Era and everything that followed really took the shine off the league.

It was sorta the equivalent of the Tour de France and Lance Armstrong. Normal people actually watched cycling back then. Then the scandal hit, and it never “felt” the same.
smithandrew051 is obviously part of the inner Circle.smithandrew051 is obviously part of the inner Circle.smithandrew051 is obviously part of the inner Circle.smithandrew051 is obviously part of the inner Circle.smithandrew051 is obviously part of the inner Circle.smithandrew051 is obviously part of the inner Circle.smithandrew051 is obviously part of the inner Circle.smithandrew051 is obviously part of the inner Circle.smithandrew051 is obviously part of the inner Circle.smithandrew051 is obviously part of the inner Circle.smithandrew051 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-28-2024, 08:23 AM   #8
Retired Bearcat

Quote:
Yeah, this. If I remember right the hapless Indians was actually in first. SI had a cover that said "Don't do it".

Haven't watched a game since except for the Royals world series.

I understand it's a business but I'm a customer and I don't have to watch. Before anyone says "don't bitch, show them with your wallet"....that's what I did. I'd like to try again but can't seem to give a **** anymore.

I have Patty in my life. **** baseball
HayWire threw an interception on a screen pass.HayWire threw an interception on a screen pass.HayWire threw an interception on a screen pass.HayWire threw an interception on a screen pass.HayWire threw an interception on a screen pass.HayWire threw an interception on a screen pass.HayWire threw an interception on a screen pass.HayWire threw an interception on a screen pass.HayWire threw an interception on a screen pass.HayWire threw an interception on a screen pass.HayWire threw an interception on a screen pass.
Thumbs Up 3 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2024, 09:34 AM   #9
Future NBA Finals MVP

Quote:
This is it. It was a different time. I remember how pissed my dad was about it. Nowadays ppl would blame the owners.
BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-28-2024, 09:37 AM   #10
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWillie View Post
This is it. It was a different time. I remember how pissed my dad was about it. Nowadays ppl would blame the owners.
Owners brought that on themselves. Ass-raping tax payers while their franchise evals skyrocket into the billions.

It's almost automatic for me anymore. I'm on the players side to get as much as they can. **** the owners.
notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.