Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room > Media Center
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-30-2020, 07:40 PM   #11
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabblerouser View Post
Countdown is GREAT.

"Skin Of My Teeth", "Foreclosure of a Dream", "Symphony of Destruction", and my personal favorite "High Speed Dirt".
I had just moved to northern California in the summer of 1993 with my bass player and drummer when I first got into that album. My best friend, bassist and roommate used to pull dopey scams all the time, including making up fake names for Columbia House Record Club and BMG Record Club.

I thought he was just joking but sure enough, 10 CD's arrived a few weeks after we rented our apartment and since we worked at the Berkeley Guitar Center, which was about 25 minutes from our pad, we listened to those CD's everyday.

Countdown To Extinction became a mainstay and we probably listened to it every day that summer on the commute, so not only do I have fond memories of being broke and making the best out of a bad situation (long story short, I was writing with a singer that had been previously signed and was a Bay area "Legend", so I moved up there at the behest of Vicki Hamilton of Geffen Records, only to have the singer bail after 2 months, forcing me to move back to LA), it is still an amazing album to boot.

While it's a bit "thin" sounding for my taste, Max Norman made it work perfectly and Marty's guitars are outright awesome.

Footnote: One of the other CD's he got with that scam was Bleach by Nirvana. We put that CD on and immediately looked at each other like "What the ****?!!!".

IMO, Butch Vig will never receive enough credit for making Nirvana appealing to the masses.
DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote